FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Heinz 57!

LittleBlackKitten
Are you a purebred, or are you a mutt? Are you a true heinz 57? Has your family created you as a mosaic or nationalities? What's in YOUR blood?

Me, I'm half english, and the other half is a lovely culture salad. German, Sweedish, Scottish, Irish, Israelie, and Mowhawk indian.

HOW I got BLONDE hair out of all that, I shall never know...

Laughing
watersoul
Cornish surname from my Fathers side of the family, Mother from Welsh language speaking stock in South West Wales.
My Great Great Grandfather was a tin miner in Cornwall and moved to Wales to become a coal miner, pretty much Celtic blood, although this island is quite a mongrel mix as we've been invaded so many times! lol

...I reckon the blonde hair is the Swedish element Smile

*edit* (again) We've been lucky enough to get the family tree back to the early 1500's but only on my Fathers side in Cornwall.
Bikerman
This is written to make me feel lazy, I know it Smile
(I started on my family tree last year but, what with one thing and another.....)

I can only currently go back 3 generations to my great grandparents. They were
Irish (Cty. Mayo)&Tyneside (NE England)...|...Lancashire (NW England)&Lancashire..|..London (SE England) & Hampshire (SE England)..|..Still to be researched...|
LittleBlackKitten
Aha! So it IS the English that brings out all our inner jerks! Laughing
watersoul
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
Aha! So it IS the English that brings out all our inner jerks! Laughing

Speaking as a Welshman living in England I'd say it's the island nation mentality...a fire that is prepared to fight anything from off our shoreline!
It's OK for a Scot to call my English friends X or Y or vice versa, but if (for example) a Frenchman does it, I feel a strange urge to defend my English/Scottish Bro. We're like a disfunctional family in a sense and we may argue badly amongst ourselves, but when anyone outside "the family" gets involved we stick together! Lol Laughing
andysart380
ill never know what the hell i really am, but i know ive got a lot of french in me...never been to france but oh well, some scotish and irish in there as well.
Blaster
And here I thought we were talking about ketchup... (I live about 2 or 3 hours away from the heinz plant)

Me I'm part polish, italin, and like 30 other things... I'm pretty much a mut
standready
I am a mutt! English, German and Irish.
meep
I'm 100% dutch blood (:
Well accordiding to my grandparents all their grandparents were dutch, so I'm just assuming my whole family is dutch Smile
adri
Blaster wrote:
And here I thought we were talking about ketchup... (I live about 2 or 3 hours away from the heinz plant)t

I thought the same thing while reading the topic title "Hmm... a topic about ketchup *click*"

Well I know that all my ancestors are from Belgium/Holland from 1820 or so (that's as far as our family tree goes but we're trying to get further although getting the right information/documents gets harder ). Dutch people don't tend to look far for a girlfriend (or we don't travel a lot that's another possibility). Razz

adri
deanhills
I come from a number of generations of Dutch. Someone from Utrecht managed to create a family tree going back to France and the religious wars, all of it is being tracked on a Website. My grandfather emigrated to South Africa when my father was still in his teens. My grandfather wanted his children to attend the best of schools in Johannesburg, which meant that eventually the second language of the family became English. My maternal grandfather was from Germany. He also emigrated to South Africa and then married a Welsh girl, my maternal grandmother. My mother and her sister grew up completely bilingual, German and English and attended both German and English schools in South Africa.
LittleBlackKitten
It's cool to find out what everyone else's background is.

If races had a flavor, what would we taste like?

I suppose I would taste like:

-Bacon (Canadian)
-Tea (English)
-Sausage (German)
-Dumplings (Swedish)
-Dark Beer (Scottish)
-Light Beer (Irish)
-Bagels (Israeli)
-Bannock (Mowhawk Indian)

Laughing

I want a piece of me!
adri
Well because I'm 100% Belgian/Dutch I would say that I'm totally beer/frites/chocolate/waffles* Razz
*Our national dish is Busteak friet which looks like this:

+ I saw a movie where an American said 'The only thing I know about Belgium is that they make waffles' and beer yeah that's pretty obvious we have a lot of beer here.

+ Chocolate, also obvious... Belgium is known for his chocolate...

* Added some photos to make you guys jealous. Razz *

adri
deanhills
I am envious It gave me a flavour of the Netherlands (I realize your photos must be from Belgium?) and how special it is to find shops that aren't copies of other shops. They are original and interesting. Smile

That steak and chips are to salivate for. Is it mince steak, or real steak? And what condiments do they use with the chips? Tomato sauce or mayonaise? Or no condiments?
adri
deanhills wrote:
(I realize your photos must be from Belgium?)

Correct. Razz But I said Belgian/Dutch because before 1830, Belgium was included in Holland and my traces go back just before 1830 like I stated in my first post. Smile

deanhills wrote:

and how special it is to find shops that aren't copies of other shops. They are original and interesting. Smile

Well, we got a lot of Chocolate shops, let's say every 20km you should find a Chocolate shop, mostly owned by [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonidas_(chocolate_maker)]Léonidas[/url]. But on the other hand you can find Belgian chocolate in almost every supermarket...
deanhills wrote:

That steak and chips are to salivate for. Is it mince steak, or real steak? And what condiments do they use with the chips? Tomato sauce or mayonaise? Or no condiments?

Ermm.. I don't know actually, we call it Busteak... For the chips (O_o chips is something else in dutch -> http://www.ameelcandyworld.be/images/IMG/catalog.ashx?url=~//images/XML/print/20329.jpg ) we actually use different things... Mayonaise is one, Béarnaise, Tartare, Stoofvlees (carbonade sauce), ketchup,... are some of the other things you can put on your frites. I prefer just salt or mayonaise if it isn't directly put on the frites. We have frites shops in every town/village, they just sell frites and meat (that goes well with frites).

adri
Asap170
I am a mutt I think either I am more Slovak or Polish or Czech...I think I just think I am more Polish cause of the girl I like is Polish lol