FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Why did I get 13.1 kb/s download speed on dialup?

lbs
I am running linux and was downloading an ISO image this morning, and for the first half hour got about 13,1 kb/s download speed. How can this happen? How can I make it do that all the time? I called my ISP and they could not help, and I really want to figure this out! I cought it doing that for about four minuts again and got a screenshot just as it quit, so you can see for yourself. Here it is.

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=2751&stc=1&d=1128699468

Can anyone help?
kv
I think the server was serving you at a greater speed that time and I don't think you can do anything about it from your side.
burk
Isnt the top speed of dialup 56kbit/s or something?? If it is then it was just the server being in a good mood or something, having mor bandwidth to spend on you :p
snowboardalliance
somethings I download will say something like 200KB/s and just go down until they get to the normal 80KB/s. I don't think it actually goes that fast, the speed just displays wrong.
Donutey
i think it has to do with whatever you are downloading starts when you click something, and thus while ur naming the file its downloading, so the first few min/sec of downloading may seem to be faster than actual at least in some browsers, i'm not so sure about konquerer... ( my kubuntu system's hdd failed... Crying or Very sad
lbs
No it's not buildup from when I am naming it. Look at the graph in the kppp window, that is what is coming direct from the modem, and there is a big jump up there for a little.
aranoth
It can be a error on your ISP.
I once downloaded on 600K per second (whild my "real" speed should be 250K)
Bladenet
Uhm, if he has a 56Kbit modem, wouldn't his max speed be 7Kbytes per second ? I'm not familiar with modems since i've used Lans my whole internet live, but there are 8bites in 1 byte.
mark
The server might have been busy at your downloading time. That's why, broadband is the right choice!
Krespov
The speed at which the a file is downloaded depends on the speed of the server, the traffic in the network, the connectinmg device (your modem), etc...
So I believe that the server and the traffic caused this problem in your system and you can not do anything about it, just try doing it during the night...
babumuchhala
after reading this i am damn sure it was a buidup.

Technically & Theoretically its impossible to get more than 7 KB/sec. And practically its also impossible to get 7 KB/sec.

I bet it bcos u had recieved a bit of dips before and ur dwl app must not have taken it into account and suddenly maybe the missing packets came in and it just made them available to u to see a faster progress.

Plus as for all of those saying i get this on my LAN and its a common phenomenon & blah blah blah. I just wanna say one thing SHUT UP. Read what the persons asked for & then reply & not justpost anything b'cos u wanted to as u were running low on points & wanted it bumped up to save your hosting account
corey
Heh. I think you have something there.

Yes, sometimes you can get a slight better speed on dialup than you're supposed to. Your speed is determined (if your compiter is all fine) most by the connection that you have with your ISP. If they aren't limiting your connection to 56k, then you'll possibly get more (but not for long). As far as the server that you're connected to, most any FTP or HTTP file server is hosted on a fast enough pipe that it can probably send at 300-600K easily, so you'll get whatever your connection will allow on dialup.

An ISO file is compressed so it should be a good guage of your true speed. With a compressed file, you should get about 6.6k if you're getting max speed, as your theoretical max should be 53.3k, due to the conversion between the digital signal from your computer and the analog signal over the phone line.

You may notice that uncompressed files sail in at a much faster speed, though, as the compression technology built into the modem will cause an accelleration. I once downloaded the whole list of apps on a FreeBSD mirror at a sustained 11k with peaks to 14k! The only reason this file came from it being plain text.

And, yes, you can experience a "ramping up" of speed (or down).

Did that make sense?
fredy
Are you rigth corey,

The limit for a dial-up connection to 56kbps is under 7KB/s, if the download speed is more than 7 KB/s the answer is compresion of data in the transmition, this is becouse an ISO image is not compressed, only is a exact copy of the tracks of a CD or DVD an if the contents of the cd or DVD are text, html pages, ...; the wole image can be compresed on the transmition.

Check downloading a compressed file and a ASCII file (Text).

Next time,

Fredy
fredy
Of course there are some other factors to view to mesure the real download speed of a connection, like the hour of day, then noise in the channel, ...
bbjai20
What I observed for dailup that I used last time. A connection established to a server will usually gain MAX burst time of transfer rate from the server during initial success connection. However, the rate will be adjusted will depend on error correction over the time.

Nowadays, using a modem to download a big file is not encourged due to the speed is relatively slow. And the cost spending on dial-up to download is much higher than using DSL.
Prabhu Raj
The only possible reason could be you r not using a dial up line but a shared bandwidth line. The shared bandwidth line works and looks same as the dial up line. but when very few users r using the internet from that ISP then you get a good download speed. If many ppl r using the internet from that ISP then your download speed sucks.

And more over i would recommend you not to trust what you see.
I have seen many times when i download softwares from internet i see that my download says i have 1 minuite left to complete the download for 3 to 4 minuites.

Hope this is of help to you.

Have a nice day.

Regards
Prabhu Raj
ocalhoun
That is normal.
Even on high-speed internet your download speed will gradually decrease as the download progresses. Not a good thing, but it will happen.
gnomme
lbs wrote:
I am running linux and was downloading an ISO image this morning, and for the first half hour got about 13,1 kb/s download speed. How can this happen? How can I make it do that all the time? I called my ISP and they could not help, and I really want to figure this out! I cought it doing that for about four minuts again and got a screenshot just as it quit, so you can see for yourself. Here it is.

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=2751&stc=1&d=1128699468

Can anyone help?

the problem is that there are to many users downloadind the iso and the conection to the server becames slower!!
corey
fredy wrote:
Are you rigth corey,

The limit for a dial-up connection to 56kbps is under 7KB/s, if the download speed is more than 7 KB/s the answer is compresion of data in the transmition, this is becouse an ISO image is not compressed, only is a exact copy of the tracks of a CD or DVD an if the contents of the cd or DVD are text, html pages, ...; the wole image can be compresed on the transmition.

Next time,

Fredy

You said basically what I was trying to. BTW, most Linux ISO's are compressed, as you usually have about 50% of the file size of the unpacked image. Its possible that there was further compression possible, which hte modem (on both ends) would then take care of, making the download go a lot faster than the 6.6k max (Yes, 6.6kx8bits/k=53.3k - 56k max)
SoftStag
corey wrote:
fredy wrote:
Are you rigth corey,

Next time,

Fredy

You said basically what I was trying to. BTW, most Linux ISO's are compressed, as you usually have about 50% of the file size of the unpacked image. Its possible that there was further compression possible, which hte modem (on both ends) would then take care of, making the download go a lot faster than the 6.6k max (Yes, 6.6kx8bits/k=53.3k - 56k max)

Yes. The throughput of data through the modem cannot exceed the connection speed. However modems and servers use compression techniques to make the most of the bandwidth. The packets of information are compressed and transmitted, then decompressed by the modem. This decompressed data is what is showing on the chart, which is more than the actual amount of data coming in to the modem.
decayed.cell
There is something called 'burst speed' when you are downloading off the internet. This happens because your browser is making a few connections to a website, and is literally forcing data through. However, you'll find that the downloading speed will drop down to the normal 6 kytes (for 56k modem).

Oh and by the way, I suggest you upgrade to Broadband Laughing
technology.sponge
i've had similar problems wiv my dialup
all the software on my pc told me i was downloading at 18kbytes a sec and it turned out 2 a weird problem wiv windows that stopped progrmas from telling u the spped accurately

in ur case, the indicator in ie is prolly inaccurate
as long as the file isnt corrupted or nething, just leave it b
u can always md5 the file if ur worried abt it
bananaphone
Probably their server
Daniel15
Were you browsing the internet, and then stopped browsing for a while? Maybe that could have caused it. I've never seen a spike like that before

If you look at the screenshot here: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=2751&stc=1&d=1128699468, he is talking about the speed graph in 'kppp statistics'. Note that it peaks for a while.

P.S Good luck waiting 1 day, 11:07:14 for your Linux ISO... I've got 1.5Mb/s broadband so I could download it in about one and a half hours Very HappyVery Happy

EDIT: Why don't you just get a free Ubuntu CD shipped to you... I got some before I had broadband. See http://shipit.ubuntulinux.org/
gonzo
corey wrote:

Yes, sometimes you can get a slight better speed on dialup than you're supposed to.

NO

Max transmission speed of an analog connection is regulated by the FCC. 56 "k" is actually limited to 53 "k".

Why do you think you were receiving 13kBytes/s? How exactly were you measuring the data rate?

Have you heard of v.44 or v.42bis? Wink

If you want more speed learn to tweak your S-registers

The best modems continue to be made by USRobotics. However, remember, the web was NEVER intended to be used by analog modem users.
cartoonistone
It was probably just the server being nice to you. A fluke, if you want to call it that.
DJHicks
56kbps = a max of 5.6kbps.. in my experience ur lucky if u can hold 4 while downloading!

wen "windows" is calculating the download speed it actually looks at the uncompress size of the file... so u may be downloading 4kps per second but uncompressed that 4k mite be 10 or 12k and therefore windows may sometimes report that is downloading the 10 or 12k say rather then the actual compressed 4k...

there also could have been a buffering issue... i.e. the files downloading but windows doesnt report the time left or speed for a short while... and a few hundred k mite have been downloaded before windows startes calculating and think well if only just started counting the speed and all ready i have 200k so i must be goin at 200k a second...

silly i no but quite possible lol!

and if u really were gettin 13k lol dnt complain haha!