FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

[DONE] Moved from Vista to Windows 7

snowboardalliance
[edit]By the way, it's done, but no one reads the whole thread anymore... Feel free to add to the discussion if you want.[/edit]

So I keep forgetting that as a student I can get so much Microsoft software for free. I have been using Vista for a while now and I'm getting sick of the little issues that keep cropping up. Honestly, I haven't minded it as much as some people, but I'm ready to move. How do other Windows 7 users like the changes?

Some specific Vista issues I'm having are: Desktop Window Manager crashing every few days (minor annoyance), task scheduler no longer remembers my password so overnight tasks like anti-virus and defrag aren't running (this only started about a month ago), occasional slowness that is inherent with Windows over time, I was getting some weird freezes for a few days but that has gone away (knock on wood). Anyway, I hope to see some improvements even on my 2.5 year old machine.

I'm waiting until I have a few days to take the time and install all of my software (oh man...always hate that...), but I'm downloading it now because having MSDNAA is awesome and I want to make the switch soon.
Fire Boar
Windows 7 is to Windows Vista what a lively theme park is to an abandoned parking lot.
ahnguye5
If I were in your situation, I'd take the opportunity to crossover to Linux. I've been running Vista on my laptop for 3 years with no problem. All the things you've said about certain things not working can be fixed more or less by using non-Microsoft products. Avast, open office, defraggler, and foxit for your anti-virus, office suite, defrag tool, and pdf reader respectively. The biggest gripe you always hear about Vista is the UAC which I don't find to be annoying at all.

Linux is free and will be good for your 2.5-yr-old hardware. Installing software in Ubuntu, for example, is as easy as going to the software center, typing in the name, and clicking install -- no need to hunt for executables. Windows 7 is beautiful. What do you expect it's Microsoft. In Windows' defense, there is http://ninite.com/ -- it'll install most, if not all, of your vital programs after a fresh install. All you have to do is choose which ones you want.
menino
Windows 7 is definitely better than Vista, by a long shot. Better to upgrade the OS to Windows 7.

As per ahnguye5's suggestion, Linux is also a good OS to try, and you can dual boot either, but its better to install Windows first and then Ubuntu, but before that, you will probably need to make separate partitions so that each OS runs in its own space.

Ubuntu is a good Linux distro, but usually when you use one OS, and its confortable to a point, you don't want to go to another one.

As a student, you might want to try both, if you have the time and patience, and see which one fits your requirements.
snowboardalliance
Oh I have an Ubuntu partition, but I never use it anymore because I don't feel like restarting just to change operating systems. I'll probably make this a dedicated Linux machine when I get a new laptop.

For now, I just use VirtualBox.

Anyway, I'm not giving up my Adobe Production Premium for GIMP and the open source void of video editing (seriously, what is there to replace After Effects?).

Also, try using Open Office in a collaborative environment of other MS Office users and you will never use Open Office again. I've finally had to give in and buy Office and I've gotta say, it is a nice program (Open Office was always slow for me as well).

I guess those are the only things tying me down. Well that, and games which I rarely have time for anymore.

Still, I'll stick with a virtual machine because what I love best about Linux is the way better command line, which runs fine in a virtual environment.

I'm gonna upgrade to Windows 7 when my semester ends and I have time.
FunDa
snowboardalliance wrote:
Oh I have an Ubuntu partition, but I never use it anymore because I don't feel like restarting just to change operating systems. I'll probably make this a dedicated Linux machine when I get a new laptop.

For now, I just use VirtualBox.

Anyway, I'm not giving up my Adobe Production Premium for GIMP and the open source void of video editing (seriously, what is there to replace After Effects?).

Also, try using Open Office in a collaborative environment of other MS Office users and you will never use Open Office again. I've finally had to give in and buy Office and I've gotta say, it is a nice program (Open Office was always slow for me as well).

I guess those are the only things tying me down. Well that, and games which I rarely have time for anymore.

Still, I'll stick with a virtual machine because what I love best about Linux is the way better command line, which runs fine in a virtual environment.

I'm gonna upgrade to Windows 7 when my semester ends and I have time.

Firstly, you made the right choice to move away from Vista. Windows 7 is definitely worth the upgrade. But also make sure you go through a few tutorial videos to see the new changes especially those in window management.
Like you can drag a window into the top to maximize it, and pull it down to restore to old size.
Also, when multiple windows are open, just grab one title bar and shake it t minimize all the other windows.

About Linux, there is definitely a lot of gap in available software especially high end games and vidoe editing. But don't worry, atleast one good video editing software is going open source (I saw it in another thread in frihost)

Keep using Linux, it may not have everything, but it sure does a lot of stuff.
a1webshopping
Win 7 FTW.

I've tried to migrate to Linux in the past but there's just too much that's different for my taste. As much as I hate MS Windows just works and works well.
Fire Boar
a1webshopping wrote:
Win 7 FTW.

I've tried to migrate to Linux in the past but there's just too much that's different for my taste. As much as I hate MS Windows just works and works well.

Hang on, what? You hate Windows, but you don't like Linux because it's different. But if it were the same, wouldn't you hate it as well?

For me, it's the opposite: Windows is what feels strange and foreign, Linux is the natural OS with all the options where I expect them. For example, the ability to scroll in an inactive window when the mouse is over that window. That feature lacking in Windows throws me every time! Even macs seem more natural with regard to window-management, but I'm not yet experienced enough with a mac (having only briefly used other people's) to feel comfortable with it as a whole.

There is always a learning curve, so I think the way to do it is to try a different OS/WM/whatever for one or two months, using no replacement during that time if you can possibly help it. After that, you're sufficiently used to both systems that you can decide which is truly better.
gphoenix
Windows 7 offers more compatibility and its not resource hungry..

Windows Vista is resource hungry , has compatibility issues overall it's and operating system made to look like Mac Os but failed to do that.

Windows 7 is much better than all other Windows distributions..
altafbhai
Windows 7 is best
menino
Windows 7 is a good operating system, and quite resource hungry, but fits the needs of all newer laptops, and runs smoother than vista.

Linux is also a great OS, but if you want local support, there needs to be people who use it regularly and around you to get the support for it.
I mean for example if you have a problem with Linux, and your pc cannot connect to the internet to research the issue, then your left stranded with just people around you who can help, or formatting it again with either the same OS, or a different OS.
If people around you use the same OS, then they might have a cluse to help you out, but if they don't, then you left in the dust.
metalfreek
I have only two words for you "GREAT CHOICE"
ankur2010
Why not... ?? Go on...Go on...!! Laughing

Windows Vista was truely a bore...But 7 had compensate all the lose for Microsoft...!! Go on Install it..!! you'll love it for sure !! Razz
Flakky
Windows 7 is not really perfect imo but it is the best for me. If you get the chance to update from Vista to 7 I recommend everyone doing so. There are so many fixes for so many annoyances.

For me they look the same (as I changed the taskbar to the old fashioned style) so I often get irritated because Vista does not have the 7 functionality whilst looking identical.

I am still hoping for a clean version, which does not come with a lot of bulk. I don't need speech recognition. There should be a lot of options being able not to be installed IMO.

But I love it, sure. Go for it.

PS: I hate all those linux fanboys which grab any Windows thread and mention Linux in some way... Go spam your own threads! Who agrees?
FunDa
Each operating system has its own good things and flaws.

Windows has ease of use and a large userbase as its advantages. But it costs money. ANd its not fully reliable in security areas.

Mac is nice to look at and has a beautiful interface. It was built on the unix system base, so it is more reliable than windows.

Linux is free and open source. Those switching from Windows or Mac to Linux would find it difficult to use. And it does not have drivers for everything, especially since the userbase is smaller and manufacturers want to target the bigger market.

Windows 7 is much better than Vista in many aspects. And for ease of use, I would prefer Widnows 7 over Linux. Switching to Mac would be difficult to me at first, because I'll have to learn all the small tips and tricks and shortcuts that I use in Windows
rayxzero
You should move to windows 7 because its lightweight and more faster than vista. When i switched to windows 7 i can now install again the driver of my old devices.
snowboardalliance
Okay, change is complete and I definitely like it. I have the 64-bit version and I'm strongly considering getting 8GB of RAM ($160 minus giftcards I've accumulated on Amazon isn't bad). That will let me run multiple Linux VM's so I can get the best of both worlds (all my Windows software, plus better development tools/command line in Linux). Thanks for the input (although I hadn't checked this thread in a while)
Fire Boar
FunDa wrote:
Linux is free and open source. Those switching from Windows or Mac to Linux would find it difficult to use. And it does not have drivers for everything, especially since the userbase is smaller and manufacturers want to target the bigger market.

Rebuttal: I switched from Windows and now I find Windows far more difficult to use than Linux. Therefore, by counterexample, the statement "Those switching from Windows or Mac to Linux would find it difficult to use." is proven false.

As for drivers, indeed, but bear in mind that for Windows, manufacturers have to provide their own. For Linux, the kernel is capable of running most devices. So whereas with Windows you typically need to hunt down the drivers, install them and then deal with whatever extra bloat the manufacturer decides to tack on, in Linux in general it all either "just works" or "just doesn't work", with absolutely nothing tacked on. Usually the former, in my experience.
FunDa
Fire Boar wrote:
FunDa wrote:

Rebuttal: I switched from Windows and now I find Windows far more difficult to use than Linux. Therefore, by counterexample, the statement "Those switching from Windows or Mac to Linux would find it difficult to use." is proven false.

As for drivers, indeed, but bear in mind that for Windows, manufacturers have to provide their own. For Linux, the kernel is capable of running most devices. So whereas with Windows you typically need to hunt down the drivers, install them and then deal with whatever extra bloat the manufacturer decides to tack on, in Linux in general it all either "just works" or "just doesn't work", with absolutely nothing tacked on. Usually the former, in my experience.

I do agree that Linux is pretty cool. So, I will change my statement to "Some people might find switching from Windows to Linux a bit difficult at first".

I have used Red Hat a long time back(7.1 then 8?), recently I used Ubuntu.
In fact, I helped convert maybe around 50 computers (30 were from a library) from Windows to dual boot with Ubuntu.

The change worked better than I expected, but finally the 30 library computers have switched back to windows, because the staff that looks after the computer systems had no practically no knowledge of Linux systems and the blocking softwares to block social networks and webchat/instant messenger clients that they bought was made for windows.

Well, I did my part. I stopped Linux because most of the software I work on right now need Windows. And ALL the peripherals (capture card, scanner, etc) that I use are supplied with a driver disk with only Windows drivers.
menino
Congratulations snowboardalliance on your windows 7 64-bit OS.

Regarding FunDa's and FireBoar's comments on Linux - I like linux, but finding drivers for hardware is sometimes a pain, especially if you lose the cd that came with it.
A lot of chinese hardware products have mainly the windows drivers available, and you can find them more easier than linux drivers on the net.

But to each their own.

Linux is working hard to catch up to windows popularity, but I really think that linux is a better OS than Windows; Its just that Microsoft have put in a lot of marketing and collaborated with many copanies for their OS, to be more popular.
I'm not against Microsoft, but I do dislike their unstable products and updates, which are prone to lots of hack attacks and hotfixes.
Linux has security hotfixes, but not as much as Windows.
welshsteve
I think upgrading from one operating system to another one can be a really pain staking process. If at all possible, I would always look at backing up all the wanted files, photos etc, then making sure you have licence keys for any software you need re-installing, then installing the new operating system from scratch. Much less chance of failure that way.
hersandal
it's easy to migrate to windows 7 just load up the disc on your computer and it upgrades your computer. but it would be better to back up your important files first. grab your external disc to do this. Windows 7 is a cool OS I think it's stable compared to the previous OS's from MS.
chiwanpark
It's easy migrating to Win7 from Vista.
Win7 is better than Vista in every features.

I recommend Win7
rjraaz
i am also using Win7 but 64 bit version of it, before that i was using Vista Ultimate.

And my personal experience with Win7 is excellent but i am not able to create recovery image as i did with Vista.
gs-resume
I've been using Win 7 since it came out - it's been nice and stable for me. Went right from XP to win7 so i can't really offer any 1st hand opinions on how 7 stacks up in comparison to Vista. Most people I've talked to that have upgraded from vista prefer win 7 to vista by far though.

I always prefer to format the windows partition and do a clean install rather than an upgrade. One suggestion w/ any windows install is to create a separate hard drive partition strictly for the OS files. Install windows to that partition, and keep all your data on another partition. That way, if you have an issue and need to reinstall the OS, your data will be safe on its own partition.