FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

History of Frihost

Blaster
Frihost started back in April of 2005 by Steve Bondings. Steve has had some experience using free hosts before however had a vision on how to make it better. Thus on April 25th of 2005 Frihost was started.

Steve had to put a lot of time into marketing frihost. There was a ton of SEO work to do so that he could climb high into the search engines. Steve also had to go to different web hosting databases to get frihost listed. Luckily frihost was a big hit and started off quickly.

The general look of frihosts home page hasn't changed much. Only a few minor links were changed. Other than that the design itself hasn't. The forums are where the big changes have taken place. Frihost has always used phpbb2. However it started out like any phpbb2 forum with its forums listed down in rows. Forums were kind of thrown all over the place with far less than meets the eye today. The top was also different. You didn't have your own search bar and personal blog. Instead there was several links to things like the forum, the home site, the memberlist, and the search bar.

Around the spring of 2006 frihost started to change some things. Frihost started by changing the forums around. They also added about 5 or so new forum categories. Frihost also introduced many new staff members to the team. It was showing that frihost was really starting to grow and take off. By this time there had already been 2 servers.

It wouldn't be until 2008 when frihost would get its 3rd server. However this quickly filled and frihost had to soon add a 4th server to its list. 3 of the 4 servers offer cPanel yet 1 server, server 2, offers directadmin.

Not many things changed with the forums for several years after the expansion back in 2006. Over time several new categories were formed but that's about it. However what did happen is new ways to use frih$. In April of 2006 frihost opened its very own directory. One that you could spend frih$ to get to the top of. People would compete to get there listing at the top each month so that their site could receive more recognition.

Again over the years things would go slow. Then Steve decided he didn't like the default look of phpbb. So therefore he changed the forums to what they appear today. This happened sometime in 2009. Again after that only minor things changed. Then in September of 2010 Steve added another feature yet again. Now there is a new feature called coins. These coins allow you to buy top level domains after you receive enough of them.

Frihost has evolved a lot of over the years. These are just some of its big advancements. Not everything has been talked about and more has happend however. To learn more please check out frihost at www.frihost.com
admin
This is an entry in the essay competition located at http://www.frihost.com/competitions/vc-1.html .
deanhills
Blaster wrote:
Steve had to put a lot of time into marketing frihost. There was a ton of SEO work to do so that he could climb high into the search engines. Steve also had to go to different web hosting databases to get frihost listed. Luckily frihost was a big hit and started off quickly.
Is it possible to provide more details of the marketing, as I get a sense that Steve is not that much into aggressive marketing. When I was looking for Free Website space two years ago, it was by fluke that I landed with Frihost. I actually like the absence of aggressive marketing as apart from attracting a large number of spammers, it may be far more beneficial to get more members by encouraging networking such as through a referral system.
william
You know, this got me thinking. It would be cool if we had images (screenshots) of Frihost over the years. Not a whole lot has changed, but the minor tweaks here and there really improved the forum. I'm going to see if Archive.org can help with this.
deanhills
william wrote:
You know, this got me thinking. It would be cool if we had images (screenshots) of Frihost over the years. Not a whole lot has changed, but the minor tweaks here and there really improved the forum. I'm going to see if Archive.org can help with this.
Sounds like a cool idea. How would archive.org be able to help?
standready
Thanks for the history lesson, Blaster.
william
deanhills wrote:
william wrote:
Sounds like a cool idea. How would archive.org be able to help?

Well, I was hoping they would have archives of the front page of the forums over the years, but alas some images are missing and they seem to stop in 2007. Confused Oh well, this is from two days after I joined. I remember that clearly, good times.

Ah, this one from January 1, 2007 doesn't seem to have the missing images. I kind of wish featured discussions will still used as much as before. Also, I'm seeing a lot of old users that bring back memories. Shame they're no longer around, they were among the most engaging and knowledgeable forum members I've ever conversed with.

Edit: Actually, this post reminds me about the Frihost quiz that you (Blaster) put out. Razz
deanhills
Thanks William for digging those up. I particularly like the Frihost Logo (from the 1 Jan 2007 version), nice one, perhaps without the circle behind it. For some or other reason (maybe it is just the way I am looking at it) the featured discussions seem to be standing out more as well.

I at least noticed a few of the posters. What do you think can be done to get them back? Ha ..... maybe this could be a topic for a future competition. The best proposal for attracting good posters to Frihost? Maybe posters like you can contact some of the contactable posters of 2006, and we can have a Post Rally of a sorts for one month in the summer or any other month of the year for example, calling it the "Frihost Golden Oldies" or any other fun name?