FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Travel to UK 2011 - Royal Wedding

deanhills
Guess most people will have to do their bookings quite fast if they want to travel to the UK during 2011 as tickets may still be affordable now, but when the wedding date of Prince William and Kate Middleton is announced, I can just imagine that the ticket prices to England could become completely unaffordable, perhaps also difficult to obtain. Great though that the UK will be having a Royal Wedding, as I can imagine with a really bad economy they need a lift of spirits as well as can do with some income from tourism and all the products they will be selling to tourists.
watersoul
Unfortunate for some if the ticket prices do rise, but the wedding makes no difference to me at all, apart from the taxes I pay that will fund the security etc.

Personally I have no time for any monarchy. Riches and luxury plus the symbolic position of being able to be head of state based purely on a lucky accident of birth.
Don't get me wrong, the individuals in the royal family mostly work hard to promote the UK and probably bring much tourism into the island. Their position is not one I envy either with all the constraints in their lives because they were born "in the club".

But as long as my son cannot aspire to be the "absolute leader" of my country because he had the misfortune to be born in my family, I am absolutely against the royal family having anything to do with the constitution of this nation.

Good luck to the couple concerned, sympathies for anyone affected by the possible increased air ticket prices, but do I care about this couple anymore than someone getting married in the church down my street next saturday? No, not at all, big waste of my extortionate taxes.
standready
Do you really think airfares will go up for that reason? I can see things on the ground going up. Besides, if I were heading to England, I would just hangout with watersoul - LOL
watersoul
standready wrote:
Besides, if I were heading to England, I would just hangout with watersoul - LOL

Lol, spare room available, just shout me in advance so I can fill the fridge up with a few beers Smile
deanhills
standready wrote:
Do you really think airfares will go up for that reason? I can see things on the ground going up. Besides, if I were heading to England, I would just hangout with watersoul - LOL
Well they did go up in South Africa last year, although I guess world soccer would be a more important event to most than a royal wedding. On the other hand, probably the royal wedding may be more important to especially the people of the ex colonies than people in Britain themselves? So quite a large number of people may want to combine that holiday to the UK that they have always wanted to have with the date of the Royal Wedding.

Anyway, I may of course also be wrong, so perhaps only time will tell on this one? Smile
Bikerman
watersoul wrote:
Unfortunate for some if the ticket prices do rise, but the wedding makes no difference to me at all, apart from the taxes I pay that will fund the security etc.

Personally I have no time for any monarchy. Riches and luxury plus the symbolic position of being able to be head of state based purely on a lucky accident of birth.

Ditto.
When Princess Diana died I was in Darwin (Oz) just getting ready to fly home. Nearly everyone I met on the way back stopped me to offer condolences and sympathy. Now, OK, nice gesture, but I didn't know the woman, had little time for her scheming and certainly wasn't in need of consolation from strangers who also never met her or knew her.

The whole country went nuts - people wailing and moaning about the death of a woman they never met, never knew and were never likely to. Pathetic - I was ashamed to be British.
watersoul
Bikerman wrote:

The whole country went nuts - people wailing and moaning about the death of a woman they never met, never knew and were never likely to. Pathetic - I was ashamed to be British.

Tell me about it!
In the same week Mother Teresa died and hardly got a mention in the media, I was disgusted with it all as I'm pretty sure which of the two gave more to mankind.
watersoul
Update, it looks like the UK is going to have a national holiday for the royal wedding:
Royal wedding set to be bank holiday WooHoo! Royal wedding? Bring it on!! Smile

...watching the wedding is the last thing I'll be doing on that extra free day off work next year though! Lol
LittleBlackKitten
If I could afford it, I would go, not for their wedding but just to GO. My grandmother was born and raised in Yorkshire, and I'm very much my grandmother's granddaughter; going back would be like going home, I expect.
watersoul
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
If I could afford it, I would go, not for their wedding but just to GO. My grandmother was born and raised in Yorkshire, and I'm very much my grandmother's granddaughter; going back would be like going home, I expect.

Some beautiful parts of Yorkshire, definitely do it one day LBK.
But make sure it's in the summer, "It be reet cold n wet up't north in't winter!" Smile
LittleBlackKitten
I'm from Western Canada, I'm used to that cold, wet, business! Lol, and everything's cheaper! Expensive to get up there though, innit? Over 3,000 at least...
macky
deanhills wrote:
Guess most people will have to do their bookings quite fast if they want to travel to the UK during 2011 as tickets may still be affordable now, but when the wedding date of Prince William and Kate Middleton is announced, I can just imagine that the ticket prices to England could become completely unaffordable, perhaps also difficult to obtain. Great though that the UK will be having a Royal Wedding, as I can imagine with a really bad economy they need a lift of spirits as well as can do with some income from tourism and all the products they will be selling to tourists.

hahaha... Laughing

that is very expensive thing to.. will try to watch it over the television news...