FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I can't open a usb flash or a memory device on my computer(w

Chukastle
I've been using my microsoft XP for about two years now. But, two months ago, a friend of mine asked me to do an assignment for him and I accepted. So, I started by visiting the cybercafe & copying for the all information I needed to the usb flash and open it on my computer system. I did this about 5 times and afterward, when I tried to insert the usb flash again, the message I get is '...removable disk not installed, your device might not work properly'. I went to the control panel. It said the device is unknown- driver file missing, tried system restore but could restore it back to a previous restore point. Tried cleaning up the system(thought it was caused by a virus), I contacted microsoft, the instructions I got didn't work. Pls, what else can I do? Maybe I should buy a new system.
jwellsy
Try the thumbdrive on a different pc. Thumbdrives can break.
weableandbob
Yes, try it on a different PC. If it works there, it may just be Windows screwing up-think about re installing.
Fire Boar
Try what other people are suggesting. Even if Windows is totally messed up, that's no reason to get a new PC - the hardware is still good to use, you just need to install a fresh operating system on it.
jilbs
Try these:

1. Do a system restore when your windows was still working. (for software related issues on you PC)
2. Plug the thumbdrive on other USB ports, remove any USB hub that you are using if there is.
3. If still doesn't work, check the voltage that is coming from your USB port. maybe, there is not enough power from your USB Port to make it work.

Good luck.
airh3ad
Try your drive in other Operating system like linux, ubunto ,apple if not work in windows xp. sometimes it work also. or refotmat it.
FunDa
Chukastle wrote:
I've been using my microsoft XP for about two years now. But, two months ago, a friend of mine asked me to do an assignment for him and I accepted. So, I started by visiting the cybercafe & copying for the all information I needed to the usb flash and open it on my computer system. I did this about 5 times and afterward, when I tried to insert the usb flash again, the message I get is '...removable disk not installed, your device might not work properly'. I went to the control panel. It said the device is unknown- driver file missing, tried system restore but could restore it back to a previous restore point. Tried cleaning up the system(thought it was caused by a virus), I contacted microsoft, the instructions I got didn't work. Pls, what else can I do? Maybe I should buy a new system.

First check if it is working on another computer (Preferably on a Linux PC or a Mac). If it is, then copy the data out f the USB drive, format it and put the data back in it.

If it is not working, probably the USB is having a hardware fault which cannot be corrected.

If you want to give a last desperate attempt, download the USB reformatting utility (there's one from HP i think) and try a forced format.

If that doesn't work, then bye bye USB. If the format does work, use Recuva or any other format recovery software to get some of the data back. Razz
YallKenton
I used my usb flash drive to copy some important working files on my notebook half a year ago, I also encountered the same problem. I just reinstall it and then antivirus for it.
jmfernandez
Your USB might be ruined by the short circuit USB port. Try to use the USB port at the back of your CPU or if you are using a laptop, try to use another USB port. Also try to use other computer. If it doesn't work you have to replace your USB.
stressball
If it doesnt work.

I always try this

1. restart my pc
2. try other thumb drive (if not try to access that thumbdrive with another computer)
3. decide if i should fix my computer or get a new thumb drive.
FunDa
Seems like the original poster has not replied ! Has the original poster seen the suggestions and tried any of the tips here ? Please respond Confused