FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Office

crestwoodxc
What does everyone think of the new series on NBC, The Office. I think its one of the funniest shows I've ever watched. I never saw the older ones on BBC, but it seems like it would be pretty hard to compare with the new ones. The fact that it doesn't have a laugh track makes it even funnier.
memsa
Despite being supervised by the creator of the British version (Rick Gervais) the series is a pale pale pale imitation.

The actor who plays the primary character was quite amusing in "Anchorman" and tries hard but the humour doesn't seem to work in the US context (this is an Australian's viewpoint...it was axed within the first week here)
atomictoyz
I like it only because of the lead character and it fits with american style office politics which are pretty sad until seen in the context of the show.

I'd like to see something along the lines of a Farside series...

Peace,
Atomic
Nameless
I watched The Office for a bit, then stopped. Some parts were hilarious, but most of it was just boring.
The Profile
British comedy owns American comedy and the office is a great example! Razz
wrightbros
HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE

the new The Office is trash. maybe if you haven't seen the BBC original series then it could be watchable, but if youve already seen it forget about it. The original one is brilliant with great acting. The 10 mins i watched of the new one has horrible, forced acting, which is very grating when it is trying to continue the story or something from the original series.
twisthigh
BRILLIANT!

The show is absolutely hilarious, I don't know I have a thing for awkward humour, it's like everything is so sketch and the characters are amazing, I love each and every one. Steve Carrell, what can I say, makes my heart melt, he's a genius.
scottycrip
I guess I'm the only one who loves both the British Office and the American Office. Being from the states, I prefer the newer one, but the original was great also. And at this point, the American series has gone in its own direction so it's hard to compare the two. The first season was comparable, but not anymore.
MYP415
The office is great, the characters are really funny.
snowboardalliance
scottycrip wrote:
I guess I'm the only one who loves both the British Office and the American Office. Being from the states, I prefer the newer one, but the original was great also. And at this point, the American series has gone in its own direction so it's hard to compare the two. The first season was comparable, but not anymore.

I love the American The Office. I think that people will like whichever one they saw first which is why most UK Office fans don't like the US Office. Also, at least in the US Office, the jokes are all like cultural so they are probably more appealing to Americans.

Anyway, I can't wait for the next few hour long episodes.
dangerdog
first season is directly word-for-word at most times from the uk show. which is also very, very funny - if you like the office, check out the creator's other show, 'extras'. ricky gervais is a very funny guy, and the celebrity cameos make the show. i do appreciate steve carrell's ability to be a complete spaz, though, and do watch the new episodes.
TurtleShell
love the office. I've seen the british version and thought it was a laugh, but my roommate prefers the American version so that's what we watch. Actually, the most recent episode in particular was really great until they drove the car into the lake and went back for the gift baskets--thought that was just a little over the top.
ammonkc
I love the office. its a must have in any collection. Its one of only a few shows I make sure I watch every week.
bluefossil
I enjoy The Office, I have my dvr record it every week. There are a few things that, the Stupidity of Steve Carrells Character is great. I hate to admit it, but I'm sure I've acted like him sometimes.
It's very entertaining.
poly
You are right this is a really funny show..
monsterskuad
the funniest show on television. Next to its always sunny in philadelphia and 30 rock of course. Dwight gotta be my favorite character, everything about him is funny as hell.
rocker935
I can't tell you how much I love this fricken show. Dwight is crazy awesome.
MYP415
I hope the writers strike is over soon so that they can start showing new episodes again...
McDucque
I've never watched an episode of The Office ever... you'd think I would, just cause it kinda fits the sense of humour that I enjoy watching. It just doesn't do anything to pull me in to watch it regularly. NBC is good for that...
singh.gurjeet
Not having laugh tracks is a bold step...!!! Its a real test for a comedy series... But seriously, as compared to other Sketch Comedy series, I don't like The Office much... Whenever I see it, I do see the whole show, but I don't see it as a good comedy show... it doesn't make me laugh!!! I I do smile sometimes... but not much...
snowboardalliance
MYP415 wrote:
I hope the writers strike is over soon so that they can start showing new episodes again...

Yeah me too
georgeodowd
wrightbros wrote:
HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE

the new The Office is trash. maybe if you haven't seen the BBC original series then it could be watchable, but if youve already seen it forget about it. The original one is brilliant with great acting. The 10 mins i watched of the new one has horrible, forced acting, which is very grating when it is trying to continue the story or something from the original series.

Agreed. American comedy is just plain not funny. Especially when it tries to imitate the British greats.
Melacos
I really liked the british version of it, and Gervais' talent was exposed the way it deserved. Having said that though, many people will remember it from the US version, and besides its overall resemblance to the former, it just didn't work.

So, watch the british if it's possible... If not, I guess the US would be kinda nice if you knew nothing of the other...