FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

SIM Cards in South Africa

deanhills
Am travelling for a week in South Africa, and thought I should just warn those who wish to travel to South Africa, and purchase SIM Cards, to bring proof of your physical address of your country with you. It has to be in the format of a recent electricity bill. This, in addition to your passport. I tried a few places, and there are no exceptions. The closest you can get to flexibility is that if you are staying long-term at a Hotel, you can get the Hotel to write a letter on your behalf. I'm only staying at the Hotel one night. Anyway, I'm here for a week only, and will just let go of a phone for now. I've been using SIM cards for years and all I needed to do before was purchase a card almost anywhere. It usually came "free" with the purchase of calling time.

Anyway, there is always another way, so may when I get to the airport for a domestic flight purchase public phone cards. Have not used those in ages!

So yes, if you plan to visit South Africa, don't forget to bring a recent electricity bill with your physical address on it. If you want to get a SIM card. The two main SIM card providers are Vodacom and MTN. Of the two MTN is by far the cheapest and has the best deals.
ChrisCh
Thanks for the heads up! I'll be traveling to Europe soon, and although your post related to South Africa, I might take a utility bill with me if I plan on buying a SIM at my destination... I'm in the middle of comparing what I'd pay for that with standard global roaming on my phone, and also with something called TravelSim - ie. you buy a SIM for around $50AUD, which you can then use to make cheap calls, and receive calls from overseas for free if dialing your actual number, or if they use a 1800 (free) number from Australia, you are billed around 35c per minute to receive the call... Hopefully this option isn't as complicated as you described the situation in South Africa though! Smile
debjitbiswas
Well south Africa ?
its a good thing to do .
watersoul
Wow, that's unusual and a bit inconvenient.

@ChrisCh, for the record, if you make it to the UK you won't need any ID at all and most stores sell the usual - Vodafone, O2, Orange, T-Mobile etc
deanhills
Looks as though it has been amended. When I was traveling in South Africa, this legislation had just been implemented, and was only really applicable to South African citizens. The sales attendants must have been confused and thought that everyone had to provide proof of their residential addresses. When I departed, and checked again at the airport, I learned that the "confusion" had been sorted out and that international visitors can obtain SIM cards just by providing their passports for a copy. No probs. Guess that was just a bit of bad luck for me then.
FastDebrid
deanhills wrote:
Am travelling for a week in South Africa, and thought I should just warn those who wish to travel to South Africa, and purchase SIM Cards, to bring proof of your physical address of your country with you. It has to be in the format of a recent electricity bill. This, in addition to your passport. I tried a few places, and there are no exceptions. The closest you can get to flexibility is that if you are staying long-term at a Hotel, you can get the Hotel to write a letter on your behalf. I'm only staying at the Hotel one night. Anyway, I'm here for a week only, and will just let go of a phone for now. I've been using SIM cards for years and all I needed to do before was purchase a card almost anywhere. It usually came "free" with the purchase of calling time.

Anyway, there is always another way, so may when I get to the airport for a domestic flight purchase public phone cards. Have not used those in ages!

So yes, if you plan to visit South Africa, don't forget to bring a recent electricity bill with your physical address on it. If you want to get a SIM card. The two main SIM card providers are Vodacom and MTN. Of the two MTN is by far the cheapest and has the best deals.

Thanks for the info. Bringing an electricity bill is not really something people would remember bringing when going somewhere overseas. I think the airport or agency should have advised you to bring such. I think they should know that.
deanhills
That's a while ago already. I'm certain things may have had a chance to settle down as I know South Africa needs and thrives on the tourist industry. Very Happy
FastDebrid
deanhills wrote:
That's a while ago already. I'm certain things may have had a chance to settle down as I know South Africa needs and thrives on the tourist industry. Very Happy

I agree. Very Happy
weed
thank you i appriciate your advise