FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Bed-bug Sniffing Dogs .... what's next ...... ?

deanhills
I find this totally amazing and hillarious. Bed-bug sniffing dogs .... and according to an article in the New York times, it is a thriving business in the United States:
Quote:
If any heroes have emerged in the bedbug epidemic sweeping households, movie theaters, retailers, schools, offices, you-name-it nationwide, it is surely bedbug-sniffing dogs.

Cute, diligent and armed with highly sophisticated detection tools — their noses — these dogs are fast becoming the American equivalent of the St. Bernard rescuing the snowbound in the Alps. Commercials vaunt bedbug-sniffing dogs’ prowess and purport up to 98 percent accuracy. In New York, a bedbug-sniffing beagle named Roscoe has become so well known — he has a Facebook page and now an iPhone app — that fellow beagles often are mistaken for him on the street.
standready
Too funny but true story. Actually work? - I don't know. It is scary to have these little suckers spreading like they are.
deanhills
standready wrote:
Too funny but true story. Actually work? - I don't know. It is scary to have these little suckers spreading like they are.
Do you think they have always been there, but since they are so small, never recognized and seen? And now they are being discovered so they can be blamed for all kinds of human diseases, particularly allergies and people whose immune systems are challenged, they are getting a whole new meaning?
Hogwarts
deanhills wrote:
standready wrote:
Do you think they have always been there, but since they are so small, never recognized and seen? And now they are being discovered so they can be blamed for all kinds of human diseases, particularly allergies and people whose immune systems are challenged, they are getting a whole new meaning?

No.
Blaster
Bed Bugs seem to be a huge epidemic in the states right now. All over my dorm are signs posted about them. I don't worry about that personally. I'm sure that they have been there for quite some time and will continue to be there. I do know that some kid on my floor though had bed bugs and was pretty much forced out of his room, given a new mattress and told he had to buy new sheet and pillows.

I hate how people over react on some of the stupidest things.
deanhills
Blaster wrote:
I hate how people over react on some of the stupidest things.
But is it really that stupid however? I have been sounding people out around me in South Africa about this, and even here it is really a big deal. I still wonder how it has become a big deal, as I can't recall up to even 10 years ago that I have ever heard about bed bugs to the extent that I do now.
standready
deanhills wrote:
Bed-bug sniffing dogs

The next epidemic - Fleas from the bed-bug sniffing dogs!

Bed bugs are spread easily by the travels of their human host. They just go along for the ride which explains why they are everywhere. Is this epidemic really a serious danger of spreading some disease? Or is it a cycle, boom every so many years?
standready
A report this morning on a network news cast:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/fido-find-bedbugs-question-dogs-accuracy/story?id=12147719
Appears there are untrained and rodent mites and just plain scams out there. Always crooks wanting to take advantage of people.
Ankhanu
The issue is that many of the pesticides that killed them off are now banned, and broad-spectrum insecticides are likewise not used anymore due to their intense ecological impacts outside of the target problem areas.
Combine this with people easily traveling around the world and pests can quickly be picked up and transported to areas where they'd previously been eradicated.
ie. This is not a cyclical population boom, it's recolonization without any controls in place to prevent it.

We've gotten used to bed bugs not being a reality, but, they're coming back Razz

While we're on about sniffers, how do drug sniffer bees strike your fancy? I'd just heard about this on the radio last week Smile
soljarag
whoa, thats pretty crazy they trained dogs just to find bed bugs
missdixy
Okay it might be better that a person like me never know these exists! I am really paranoid and now will often want/think about trying to hire one of these dogs! My brother ahd bedugs at his place a while back and when I went to visit him in Arizona I'd take a hair-cap and old clothes that i could throw away and i showered and just did a bunch of stuff to avoid getting them haha XD
deanhills
missdixy wrote:
Okay it might be better that a person like me never know these exists! I am really paranoid and now will often want/think about trying to hire one of these dogs! My brother ahd bedugs at his place a while back and when I went to visit him in Arizona I'd take a hair-cap and old clothes that i could throw away and i showered and just did a bunch of stuff to avoid getting them haha XD
You're right missdixy, since I've become "bedbug aware", and mentioned this to friends, I've heard horror stories like these too. For example, a friend of mine in South Africa had to have their bedroom and surrounding areas fumigated twice, in order to get rid of the bedbugs. In this specific case, they decided to keep the bed, but I would move out of the place if this should happen to me, I don't mind spiders, but bedbugs is a no-no Shocked