FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Question about quoting another users post

watersoul
I quoted someone in a reply to a topic and I'm sure I remember what I was quoting, but the
Quote:
text in my named quote
seems to have since changed, making an element of my reply now appear out of context.

Just wondering if a section of text will also change in a quoted reply if the original poster edits their original post?

If not then I guess I must be going nuts or was carelessly tired, but if so, should I avoid the quote button immediately above a users post and instead use the quote tags while in the reply page and cut n paste?

Hope this isn't a strange question, but I'm pretty sharp usually and I really believe what I thought I'd replied to under some text I quoted has changed since I wrote the reply.

...again, I could have been tired or going senile early so its good to check Lol Laughing
Ankhanu
Quoted text will not chance when the original post is altered; the quote is not attached to the original post in the database.
watersoul
If that's the case then I must have had some kind of memory lapse, altered sense of reality moment going on! Lol again!

...I respect your reply and suspect its probably right, but it would be good to have an admin/staff/Bondings 2nd opinion though. You know when you really think something has changed but you can't be sure at the same time?
The quote in question in my mind was replied to by using the quote button above the original post, and I just want to be sure that replying using that quote button option instead of [reply] then using the quote tags in the reply form will make any difference. Call me strange, I'll wear the hat if needed, just need to put my own thoughts to rest! Smile
Bikerman
Ankhanu is correct. A quoted passage cannot change if the original changes, since it isn't linked.
What can sometimes happen is that a moderator will change a posting for a valid reason, and may also then deem it necessary to change any quotes of the said posting.
Personally speaking I would always indicate - using the red pen - that I had done so, and I believe that my colleagues would do similar, so I don't offer this as a solution to your particular case....
watersoul
Cheers Bikerman, I'll happily take your knowledge of the forums inner workings much more convincingly than a non-mod, so shall resign myself to the conclusion that I must have forgotten what I typed originally. That is the more rational conclusion based on the evidence available.

...always worth checking though, at least anyone else reading this will learn something! Embarassed

99.99999% thoughts are that I typed my response out of context, but 0.00001% thoughts will remain that something changed after I typed my thoughts.
I wouldn't be human if I didn't keep a careful (but non paranoid) open mind! Wink

*edit*
thats why I like your "red pen", it's clear and obvious to folk!
Bondings
The quote button simply adds the text inside the quote tags, resulting in the same thing than if you do it manually by copy pasting.

I suppose you quoted the wrong post/text and didn't notice it. I don't see a reason for a mod to change the text inside a quote, but you may never know. Maybe there was a MITM attack. Or it is a CIA conspiracy. We'll probably never know what really happened Wink
watersoul
Bondings wrote:
The quote button simply adds the text inside the quote tags, resulting in the same thing than if you do it manually by copy pasting.

I suppose you quoted the wrong post/text and didn't notice it. I don't see a reason for a mod to change the text inside a quote, but you may never know. Maybe there was a MITM attack. Or it is a CIA conspiracy. We'll probably never know what really happened Wink

PMSL! Laughing Laughing

I'm convinced now, nice one Bondings...lock this lame topic as it clearly needs to be!

...can't blame a man checking though Lol

*edit* CIA conspiracy, funny as!