FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Wich scripting method is the best?

Markulin
Exept javascript and php - wich scripting method is the best?
menino
javascript and php are good scripting tools, and you may try out MONO, which is also compatible with .net, as I've been told recently.
But also now there is a newer version on C#, I think its called F#, which is compatible with linux applications, or so I've heard.

Maybe you can check it out and confirm and feedback as well.
Markulin
Maybe i will check it out. What is MONO? i've never heard about it before!
Peterssidan
menino, I think you are confused. Mono is a cross platform, open source .NET development framework. F# is a functional language developed by Microsoft. I don't see much relevance to the question.

Markulin, what do you mean by scripting method? Do you mean scripting language. Then I would say it depends on what you are doing. If you write scripts for a website that should be run on the client javascript is good. If you write scripts for a website that should be run on the server php is good. If you are making a flash animation actionscript is good. It all depends on what you want and what your needs are. Also talking about scripting languages and programming languages can be a little bit confusing as some languages are somewhere in between. (It's always possible to build a compiler for a scripting language, and an interpreter for a programming language)
Fire Boar
Yes, it's always a case of "best tool for the job". For almost all websites, PHP. For quick jobs that need to be run frequently or just once, Perl is usually best, but you can sometimes get away with an even easier option: a shell script. For more complicated jobs, you can still get away with Perl, or you might prefer to use Ruby which is a little more concise about representing complicated things and has a ton of useful and easy to use functions for just about everything.

For programming, pick your favourite! Java and C++ are both good and powerful languages, C++ is a lot more efficient and doesn't require anything to be installed in the background (Java on the other hand requires the JVM), Java is simpler to use and inherently cross-platform unless you do something dumb like - say - require that a file be located at C:\Users\[CurrentUser]\file. But we don't do that sort of thing, right?

So, Shell/Perl/Ruby/PHP/Java/C++ is a very good skill set to have that lets you cover just about anything that comes up.
phaedrusalt
It's hard to go wrong with Python, it can do nearly everything and it's fast and easy to create programs. Personally, I use it for almost everything.
jfussion
phaedrusalt wrote:
It's hard to go wrong with Python, it can do nearly everything and it's fast and easy to create programs. Personally, I use it for almost everything.

yeah! python rocks!. Im starting to learn how to code cgi using python
pirate
perl, it is logical and not too difficult to get started, my site has a range of video tutorials