FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Official FriHost IRC Channel!

Daniel15
Frihost has an IRC channel on Dal.net. In here you can get support, play games and chat with other frihosters.

If you have an IRC Client installed, then this link may or may not work for you: irc://irc.dal.net/FriHost/ .

Please use the following information when connecting:
Server: irc.dal.net
Channel: #frihost
Nick: Your forum nick if available

This can be typed in the client like this:
Code:
/server irc.dal.net

wait till you get some text telling you are connected. then type:
Code:
/join #frihost

More help can be given in the channel.

We have a webclient on http://www.ytal.nl/frih/applet (java). If your firewall blocks this one you can try to google for CGI:IRC, those rarely work for dal.net though.
The users of the Frihost chat mostly use mirc and chatzilla, so if you need help with those we can help you.
If you want to use trillian, here is a tutorial on how to join the chat.

Please see http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-72012.html for a list of rules regarding the usage of our IRC channel.
The bot makes stats/logs and "who is online" pages for all the frihost channels. For the bot pages take a look at http://www.ytal.nl/frih .

For more help about IRC join the channel or ask in this thread.

Those using chanserv, nickserv and/or memoserv might want to try this script. It's made by Vrythramax, and he made a post about it on this forum a long time ago, but this version has some small bugfixes Smile .

Have fun! Smile

BTW: We also have other channels on dalnet (a total of 5 public channels), we will help you to get to those in the main channel (#frihost). One of these channels is the game channel.
kany
WEll its nice to see that you choose dalnet . I don't feel much easy with efnet or undernet. Well nice to see frihost going on irc as well. Very Happy
jongoldsz
That's cool.

How did you setup an irc server on dalnet?
foggy
jongoldsz wrote:
That's cool.

He didn't set up a server, the server is dalnet. He made a room on that server for frihost.

Good idea, I'll be joining soon and others should do the same.
Boles Roor
Smile I will join this as soon as I have enough money for a new PSU, so my PC won't reboot when it's under a bit of load >_< Crying or Very sad
n0obie4life
AHHHHHHH

It appers that dalnet hates me.

Code:
You have been autokilled.
-
[13:54] -rumble.fl.us.dal.net- *** You are not welcome on this network.
-
[13:54] -rumble.fl.us.dal.net- *** autokilled for [AKILL ID:1039081090K-f] [exp/identd] IRC clients from your domain are required to respond to identd requests in order to connect to DALnet. Send email to exploits@dal.net with [exp/ident] as the subject, or visit http://kline.dal.net/exploits/ident.h (2005/10/05 06.51)
-
[13:54] -rumble.fl.us.dal.net- *** Your hostmask is _piGgY_!~piggy@bb219-74-105-208.singnet.com.sg
-
[13:54] -rumble.fl.us.dal.net- *** Your IP is 219.74.105.208
-
[13:54] -rumble.fl.us.dal.net- *** For assistance, please email kline@dal.net and include everything shown here.
-
[13:54] Closing Link: 0.0.0.0 ([AKILL ID:1039081090K-f] [exp/identd] IRC clients from your domain are required to respond to identd requests in order to connect to DALnet. Send email to exploits@dal.net with [exp/ident] as the subject, or visit http://kline.dal.net/exploits/ident.h (2005/10/05 06.51))
Helios
lol!

good luck Danny.. Very Happy
shadows
oh, cool... with en irc is easier for me now... i dont know about things like those, with the hosting and like, coz its only my first web-page i ever made, and now i want to host it. Frihost look nice so i chose it Very Happy
ChunkyBustout
n0obie4life wrote:
AHHHHHHH

Code:
-
-
[13:54] -rumble.fl.us.dal.net- *** autokilled for [AKILL ID:1039081090K-f] [exp/identd] IRC clients from your domain are required to respond to identd requests in order to connect to DALnet. Send email to exploits@dal.net with [exp/ident] as the subject, or visit http://kline.dal.net/exploits/ident.h (2005/10/05 06.51)
-
[13:54] -rumble.fl.us.dal.net- *** Your hostmask is _piGgY_!~piggy@bb219-74-105-208.singnet.com.sg
-
-
[13:54] -rumble.fl.us.dal.net- *** For assistance, please email kline@dal.net and include everything shown here.
-
[13:54] Closing Link: 0.0.0.0 ([AKILL ID:1039081090K-f] [exp/identd] IRC clients from your domain are required to respond to identd requests in order to connect to DALnet. Send email to exploits@dal.net with [exp/ident] as the subject, or visit http://kline.dal.net/exploits/ident.h (2005/10/05 06.51))

Noobie, it looks like you need to setup up an ident server in your irc client. Just go through your options and make sure fill in any missing info under Indent server and also make sure it's enabled.

I haven't used irc in a few years but was a common problem especially if you didn't use mirc as your irc client.
SnowBlind
That's cool.

GiLaD
nice! it's good when there's a place to idle a bit and to talk to other people. that was a good idea to bring the irc room back.
completeforums
lol, you should ask for a refund.

n0obie4life wrote:
AHHHHHHH

Code:
-
-
-
-
-
-
n0obie4life
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

I'll try that as soon as I get back on my pc with mirc Very Happy.
althalus
I see this channel is about as active as Helios was. Too bad though, I'd quite like the chat. Wink
SamiTheBerber
I'm also there now Very Happy At this moment I'm alone Sad
ignition
Nice! I'll be in there tomorrow Very Happy
gonzo
does dalnet offer registered nicks?
Raijenki
Hey, that's a good idea make a Frihost IrcChan ^^
We can ask for Live Support when we need, because to post and wait a reply is so tedious =D, thanks ^^
ganea
thats good..i will come to irc tomorrow..see you in irc
kany
gonzo wrote:
does dalnet offer registered nicks?

Yes Dalnet offers nick registeration thingy well the command for it is

Quote:
/msg NickServ@services.dal.net REGISTER AnyGoodPassword billy@hotmail.com

or you can get help about it by

Quote:
/ns help register

and for any nickserve related help type

Quote:
/ns help
eminence
For server Webchat and DALnet.. plss
ignition
Is it just me, or is dalnet down? I can't connect Confused
deedee
I can connect, but no one's online Razz
People please! come online Wink
ignition
deedee wrote:

What server are you connecting to? irc.dal.net, or do you have a specific one to connect to?
Jounouchi
IRC chat......
I might take a look if I have time. Smile
olag
Quote:

Me too
intel17
I will be on there all day and night Very Happy *quieter* well may not that much

*edit

My names Dark_night and Im on there right now Very Happy
gonchiweb
such good news, especially for me i love chatting by irc:)SmileSmileSmileSmile
meet you there
byeeeeeeeee
gnomme
i go running to install a irc client now!!! Laughing
yule
Very good,Supports , Thanks .
Arnie
You'll see me around every once in a while... downside of big networks is your nick is always taken ;( personally I usually reside on a small network called Lostmoment

Come on people, go to the channel! I usually just have it on, idling, and whenever something happens (never did so far) I check it out. Why don't you do so too Razz
Arin
Nice idea xD.

Here is DALnet servers listing.

And here is nice client called Visual IRC.

Cheers,
Arin.
Arnie
I made a little package that will get you started on IRC. All you need to do is follow a wizard that asks for your nickname and exiting message. Then click the connect button and you'll be brought to the IRC channel (chatroom) without having to do anything. Provided your firewall doesn't stop you, of course Razz

So if you don't have experience with IRC but still want to chat with FriHosters, download the instant package here. <400kB
Please read the small readme first, it's not a long story but some important info.

Come on people, it's only a tiny program, won't take up much memory or bandwidth. Just give it a shot Razz

Edit: this has not been tested on Windows XP and it may not work there...
nOScott
i use gamesurge irc
Raijenki
Personal Chat rlz
Good Idea ^^, i ever will on this place when i got a high "?"...
lol
Tjcrazy
wow I love IRC i know all codes for it now my fav host has 1!
orc_lord
good luck..
Tom7
thats cool, i have never tried irc chat.
Valli
Is dalnet down, i can't connect Crying or Very sad
dark_one
Well, it was a good idea... and it would be a better one if somebody but me was in there Very Happy
raver
well i`m also alone now, i`ll just leave my IRC client open and hope everybody else does the same...
raman
Cool, count me in, Ill check it out.
mehakb
Really a Nice Idea Guyz.... but still there's no 1 online in There...........no1.....but zNice site Indeed...
yenglin
Is there a channel on undernet or one coming?
vignesh_natraj
I am not using IRC hope this venture by you will lead
me to participate in one
Mrs Lycos
Hey I'm there and I'm alone too... may be we can set a time to be together there, or just get a bot to say hi so that we don`t feel so lonely over there....
Qwertyip
meh ... i dont think that the irc chat will ever take off .. especially when most of the answers are here. and people enjoy it here. ..

.. but if anyone would like a bot scripting .. just ask. I wont be able to host it tho because my internet goes off fairly frequently.
i_am_mine
Not talking Why DALNet?
Wotac
I can't come there because I don't use dalnet, I use only quakenet. Don't tell me how to switch it, because I don't even want to. All my friends are on quakenet.
kany
You my dear you can even connect to many networks on the same time. you do not need to disconnect from quakenet to connect to dalnet. If you use mirc then its built in you can open as many server windows as you like.
Slammer
I used to use IRC everyday, but that was a few years ago. Not used it in ages.
Loafer357
I'll probably be in the chat quite often, even if it is just idling Wink i'm also a scripter and have done quite a few things in reference to irc scripts. Mainly with mSL(mIRC Scripting Language) and Perl. If anyone has any questions about them feel free to ask always glad to teach Smile
loserk
hey cool job...thanks for you have chosen dalnet...
WaCk0
cool an Irc channel .. will visit you people soon there Smile
adwya
wow

its good
silliman
Aloha FriHost Team,

Good news to hear that you've got a #FriHost chat channel on DALNET. Particularly convenient for those of us using Firefox with built in Chatzilla.

I am hunting around for an IRC channel with a server that can handle KhmerOS font. If I don't keep practicing this language, I'm going to forget it.

Ah... so many new frontiers to cross.

I hope the year 2006 brings good fortune and success in whatever the Strategic Plans the FriHost Team has forecasted.

Mark
PaladinWiz
Thanks, I'll be sure to check it out. Laughing
Keshav
WoW, thats nice to hear.. It will be a lot of fun chatting with fellow frihosters..
Tasukii
It seems that dialnet hates me too
Quote:
Unable to connect to server (Connection timed out)
quixotic
I've just been idling the past couple days, since I'm always on DALnet anyway. But no one's come in. Sad
kany
quixotic wrote:
I've just been idling the past couple days, since I'm always on DALnet anyway. But no one's come in. Sad

Well is that you QuixZZzz Well yeah how could see any one comming if you are asleep all the time. and well yes the channel does seems a bit quite . Well lets hope that it will be a chattering one in the future. Laughing
BugBear
kany wrote:
quixotic wrote:

Well is that you QuixZZzz Well yeah how could see any one comming if you are asleep all the time. and well yes the channel does seems a bit quite . Well lets hope that it will be a chattering one in the future. Laughing

Quite is saying it soft....... more like On the edge of being dead Very Happy
Caesar_
strange though... there is a lot of chat around here... and the mIRC channel is quite...
quixotic
Yes... >_>; I'm occasionally asleep. Through no will of my own, I assure you! Laughing
munkey_boy
Im on there now but knowone else is so um ppl CONNECT plz
plz
plz
Very Happy
theeto
i like IRC soo much. i definetly join for sure
adwya
its

very

good

thank

u
HJSimpson
Kewl what would be the best script to use for this irc network?
skaterm
Cool, I am going to check it out later today, is the software available at http://mirc.com? Do you have to pay for the software at all? I've heard of it before, but I haven't ever used it yet and I wanted to know. If someone could help me out with this that would be great.
Vrythramax
Does anyone actually use the channel? I have been there many time and I find myself alone in the channel.

I know...poor me, all dressed up and no one to chat with Sad
xone
o very good very good!!
Arnie
skaterm wrote:
Cool, I am going to check it out later today, is the software available at http://mirc.com? Do you have to pay for the software at all? I've heard of it before, but I haven't ever used it yet and I wanted to know. If someone could help me out with this that would be great.
There's more than mIRC in the IRC world... if you want I have a ready-for-Frihost program that will instantly get you in the right place. It uses another client called hIRC. I would also recommend X-Chat.
Vrythramax
HJSimpson wrote:

I use mIRC myself. If you happen to chose mIRC PM me and let me know as I have written an addon script for mIRC to deal with Dalnet's services (ChanServ, NickServ & MemoServ...I have no access to AdminServ so I didn't include those commands) it's geared towards the beginning Dal user that doesn't know how to properly use those services or the experienced user that doesn't feel like typing out all the commands themselves, it's free (and virus free as well).

Just let me know if you are interested and I'll let you know where to download it and how to install/use it.
heady233
HJSimpson wrote:

I use trillian, It is a very good program and can run multiple chat programs at one time. You might hve to search for it on google though.
Tumbleweed
The lights are on but nobodys home

Still empty after 3 hrs......apart from Quixy whos asleep Wink
Tumbleweed
Thanks Daniel.............. With the forum being down this was a handy place for a little information regarding whats going on Very Happy
q8found
No one on channel Shocked
menhao
Cool!!!
I love IRC, I love frihost
quixotic
I wasn't there for a few days, but once again... I'm there. I normally have my highlight on, so just say either Quixy or Kat to get my attention in there.

Unless my name is QuixZZzzz or something, in which case I'm asleep. Cool
Hogwarts
Managed to connect, then as soon as i connected i joined the channel and there were only 2 people, including me, in it. The other person was Quixy or something like that.
benatkinson610
[b]Wow how did you do that on DALnet i want to add one to my website when i finally get accepted , dosent it cost money are you in contact with them or something?

BUT....

I couldent chat on it because it said "You have being auto-killed!!! & that i am not welcome on the server.

Why do you think this?

Please email me by clicking my email button on my profile.
Daniel15
Quote:
BUT....

I couldent chat on it because it said "You have being auto-killed!!! & that i am not welcome on the server.

If you're using mIRC, it should have a 'DALNet' option in the server listing. Try choosing a server closer to you (the server I use is in Singapore, which is the closest server to me).

Just connecting to irc.dal.net should work Wink

Quote:
Wow how did you do that on DALnet i want to add one to my website when i finally get accepted , dosent it cost money are you in contact with them or something?

Anyone can make a channel, you just need to think of a unique name. In your IRC client, try to join a channel that doesn't exist yet (for example, the name of your website). The channel will be empty, and you'll be an Op (admin).

What you'll want to do is 'register' the channel. If you don't register it, the channel is destroyed as soon as the last person leaves. After the last person leaves, the next person to enter the channel will be the admin.

For information on how to register the channel, look at 'ChanServ'. http://schlock.bkwm.com/serv/chanserv.htm might give you some helpful information. Basically, once you're connected, you type '/chanserv REGISTER [channel] [password] [description]' to register the channel. Your nickname needs to be registered first, which can be done via 'NickServ' (/nickserv REGISTER [password] [email]). See http://schlock.bkwm.com/serv/nickserv.htm#REGISTER
heady233
daniel15 wrote:
There is now a NEW FriHost IRC Channel, on DALNet!

You can use any DALNet server (connect to irc.dal.net to get a random server). The servers that I would suggest are oi.ix.au.dal.net (Sydney, Australia) and hotspeed.sg.as.dal.net (Asia)

The channel name is #FriHost

If you have an IRC Client installed, then this link may or may not work for you: irc://irc.dal.net/FriHost/

Whenever I go on I'm alone so I've finally decided to stop using IRC.
Master-
Sweet.

I may join later.
Vrythramax
I try to be there most of the time...but I also have my own channels I admin....I hope to see you in #Frihost!
mr.nobody
what is irc channel Question
Daniel15
mr.nobody wrote:
what is irc channel Question

Basically, IRC is a chat protocol. You connect to an IRC server, which has lots of channels (think of the channels as seperate chat rooms).

There are lots of guides available for beginners, such as this one.
Vrythramax
it seems DAL is having some troubles today, login times are effected, as are services requests.

A reminder to Frihost....a channel op (AOP or SOP) must login at least once every 30 days to keep the channel registered.

Spoken as a former Dal Services Admin.
Scorpio
I guess i will have to try this out sooner or later.

I did use another IRC from a different site..
Vrythramax
I have written software that eases the uses of "services" on DAL....it was made for use with mIRC software....if any interest is shown I willsee that other "softwares" are included.

PM me with any requests if you are interested (works on ALL "Windows" systems and OS's).

Made to be "user friendly".

This has already been made public in another topic.
Blaster
I can't get it to work for some reason Sad

can someone please help me?
ZenFountain
* Looking up irc.dal.net
* Connecting to irc.dal.net (194.68.45.50) port 6667...
* Connection failed. Error: Connection timed out
Cycling to next server in DALNet...
* Disconnected ().

Bah...anyone else having problems /w Dalnet? Rolling Eyes
Vrythramax
please try DAL again..."loyalty.ix.us.dal.net", thier "round-robin" server is most certainly online. Smile
ZenFountain
I definitely can not connect to any of the dalnet servers and i'm idling on 2 other IRC networks as I type this.

Confused
Vrythramax
ZenFountain wrote:
I definitely can not connect to any of the dalnet servers and i'm idling on 2 other IRC networks as I type this.

Confused

I have made my private apology and now I must make a public one to be fair to all. DAL is going through some problems as this is being typed...I cannot connect either (and I know the backdoor).

Sorry for the bad advice ZenFountain and all others Sad
Blaster
You know the back door becuase you are god Very Happy

So are you saying i can't connect becuase of this?
Vrythramax
from all I can tell right now, yes....that is the source of your connection problems. Since I also am having troubles connecting also I can't really tell exactly wtf is going on. Will keep all interested posted.

@Blaster...thanks for the kudos, I certainly am no God....but wouldn't mind being one someday Wink

Wonder how long you have to study for that job Question
Vrythramax
a [totally] unnofficial update....

It seems DAL is going through DNS resolution troubles which would explain why nobody can connect.

Code:
Host info irc.dal.net 2/3000/50/0; 04/25/06 22:49:31

Official name: irc.dal.net
IP address: 194.68.45.50

ping 194.68.45.50       packet 2            failed, retcode = 11010 (Timed Out)

No match found for irc.dal.net.

# ARIN WHOIS database, last updated 2006-04-25 19:10
# Enter ? for additional hints on searching ARIN's WHOIS database.

It seems we must wait Sad
Blaster
Do you have an idea of how long it will take?

I told you guys he is god. Very Happy
Vrythramax
ummm...given that I cannot connect either and there are many [potential] problems would could have arisen (drunken driver taking out a crucial tel line, wheather conditions, somebody asleep at DAL, etc.)....I honestly can't say.

Sorry Bro. Sad
Blaster
its ok. Thanks for at least letting us know what is going on. Very Happy
faker
own IRC channel huh? will there be support done at the channel??
if there is then it saves alot of trouble creating a ticket
Vrythramax
faker wrote:
own IRC channel huh? will there be support done at the channel??
if there is then it saves alot of trouble creating a ticket

I would imagine Support questions would be handled via DCC one-to-one on a "per individule" request....that is if DAL ever comes back.
gh0stface
Gah, hate DAL.net. All it's good for is it's massive netsplits and the inability to ever see anyone ;(

Unless it's improved the last time I've been on it...
ZenFountain
Maybe it's time to consider moving the channel to another network? I dunno about you guys but I consider days of downtime to be a little excessive, I would love to meet some peopel from here on IRC.
Daniel15
Well, with a network as big as the DALNet one, you'd expect a bit of downtime. Anyway, DALNet appears to be working again, at least the server I use (hotspeed.sg.as.dal.net)

Quote:

[20:04] * Connecting to hotspeed.sg.as.dal.net (6668)
[20:04] -hotspeed.sg.as.dal.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[20:04] -hotspeed.sg.as.dal.net- *** Checking Ident
[20:04] -hotspeed.sg.as.dal.net- *** Found your hostname
[20:05] -hotspeed.sg.as.dal.net- *** No Ident response
Welcome to the DALnet IRC Network daniel15!~dansoftau@60-240-***.***.tpgi.com.au
Your host is hotspeed.sg.as.dal.net, running version bahamut-1.8(03)
This server was created Fri Dec 3 2004 at 03:47:15 SGT
hotspeed.sg.as.dal.net bahamut-1.8(03) aAbcdefFghiIjkKmnoOrRswxXy bceiIjklLmMnoOprRstv
NETWORK=DALnet SAFELIST MAXBANS=100 MAXCHANNELS=20 CHANNELLEN=32 KICKLEN=307 NICKLEN=30 TOPICLEN=307 MODES=6 CHANTYPES=# CHANLIMIT=#:20 PREFIX=(ov)@+ STATUSMSG=@+ are available on this server
CASEMAPPING=ascii WATCH=128 SILENCE=10 ELIST=cmntu EXCEPTS INVEX CHANMODES=beI,k,jl,cimMnOprRst MAXLIST=b:100,e:45,I:45 TARGMAX=DCCALLOW:,JOIN:,KICK:4,KILL:20,NOTICE:20,PART:,PRIVMSG:20,WHOIS:,WHOWAS: are available on this server
-
There are 166 users and 32139 invisible on 39 servers
72 IRC Operators online
15630 channels formed
I have 1831 clients and 1 servers
-
Current local users: 1831 Max: 5008

and so on.
NjRocket
hey, irc is a great idea. Is this always online basically acting as a support live chat if needed? Sounds good.
n0obie4life
So..is it working?

Because I cannot connect to it too..otherwise let's just get rid of this sticky .
Vrythramax
I can't connect either n0obie4life, and I tried ports 6660 (random server), 6667 (standard) and 7000, no response from any...so far.
MuGeN89
YAY!!! I can connect!!! YAHOO!!!
Vrythramax
I also finally connected...but not on the first try. I had to allow mIRC to try a reconnect and then I was shunted to a random DAL server in Florida...but there's still nobody there Sad
alkutob
daniel15

What does IRC mean ?

thank you
Comrade
alkutob: Internet Relay Chat

Channel is empty. Only im in it. Sad
Arnie
There's nothing unusual about that, I've actually given up lol.
Vrythramax
anyone going to DALnet today? If your chat program doesn't connect on the first try, let it try reconnecting again...this is only if you are trying to reach a random DAL server.
Daniel15
Well, I was actually suprised today! There was 3 people in the channel (including myself!) Very Happy
Vrythramax
4 people if you include the bot Wink
Tumbleweed
Anybody using this regularly ?
Hogwarts
tumbleweed wrote:
Anybody using this regularly ?

I went on today but nobody was on there.. Confused We need to get more people on there but I do not want to take people away from the forums on frihost.. And that reporting system Bondings was going to do some time could be put on there and it could be even more efficient then on a website because it would be live.
mathiaus
I'm on now and expect to be on rather often. I used to love the IRC on a forum I used to visit so it should be just as fun, if not more here! Very Happy

Not sure about using it for support though .... Think
BugBear
Eh i guess i'll occupy the chat for a few days and see if anyone drops in :O
Hogwarts
4 of us on it right now! Come on people! Join #frihost on Irc.dal.net

I still belive that we should have an online client for this where bondings can plaster the surrounding page with ads... Smile
ranzon
Why don't use QuakeNet??

on quakenet it's service bots, auth system, spam bot for channels with over 160 users and much more.

all this powered by Quakenet.

and one more thing.. have the channel on dal.net died?
bulek
Nice, I'll join on that channel too.
ranzon
bulek wrote:
Nice, I'll join on that channel too.

if you mean #FriHost on quakenet then the server adress is: irc.quakenet.org if you want an random server (it chooses the fastest server for your connection)
[FuN]goku
frihost should be on quaknet... its alot better.
Hogwarts
Well... I got sick of people who did not want to install mIRC so I got an online applet for you all..

http://frihost.echogames.net

When you get on there wait a few minutes until you get a heap of messages then type
/join #frihost
then
/nick WHATYOURNAMEIS
... and you're dancing!
BugBear
Hogwarts wrote:
Well... I got sick of people who did not want to install mIRC so I got an online applet for you all..

When you get on there wait a few minutes until you get a heap of messages then type
/join #frihost
then
/nick WHATYOURNAMEIS
... and you're dancing!

doesn't work
Hogwarts
BugBear wrote:
Hogwarts wrote:

/join #frihost
then
/nick WHATYOURNAMEIS
... and you're dancing!

doesn't work

Actually, it does work. At least for most people who have tried it.
Solutions:
1. Get java
2. _Wait_ for it to load.
3. Remember, dal takes forever to connect to.

You can get java at http://www.java.com/en/index.jsp[/url]
BugBear
It probably would work if server 2 wouldn't have problems Cool
Daniel15
OK, I've put a Webchat applet at http://frihost-chat.uni.cc/ , for if you don't have mIRC. It will automatically connect to the FriHost channel. Also, there is a 'Change nick' box, which you can use to change your nickname Smile
Tumbleweed
I clicked the link.........run the applet.......and I'm there, easy as pie Very Happy

In fact its so easy I did it twice Laughing
Josso
Oh cool, only just noticed this thread. Shouldn't it be sticky'ed?
vicarious
I use Xchat, maybe you like it, maybe you don't. I cannot seem to connect to DalNet, it tries forever, but no go. I am not much of an IRCer, as I cannot get any work done while arguing in MS/Linux wars chat lol. But I do get on FreeNode every now and then. The forums say the frihost IRC room is not really populated, so I will probably not try that hard.

Koodos to the one that did this, I hope that many start to use it, but I have to get back to work. I like to help any project succeed, but I must choose my battles, there is a mosquito virus raging across Africa as we speak. But if you ever decide to migrate to freenode, stop in #freenx or #linux and we might see each other.
rvec
BUMP

this should be higher Razz
I've been idling for some time now, anyone wants to pass by and make it an buzzy channel?

Suggestion:
point per day (or frih$) you idle in the irc channel.
reddishblue
rvec wrote:
Suggestion:

Firstly was it really neccesary to bring this topic back
Secondly when I got my web hosting all it said was to keep my points up on the forums, so this will never come to pass.
Jeyon
I might stop by onto the IRC channel! Laughing
Keran
Well even after so many assurances of "Stopping by" to the irc chat, the channel still feels kinda empty having 3 ppl at max...
Yea this thread should be sticky...
rvec
reddishblue wrote:
rvec wrote:
Suggestion:

Firstly was it really neccesary to bring this topic back
Secondly when I got my web hosting all it said was to keep my points up on the forums, so this will never come to pass.

Extra way's to get points and you don't agree ?Rolling Eyes
And as stated before, it should be a stickey so why shouldn't I bump it.
pampoon
Aww, what happened to this? I say we bring this thing back to life!

God bless,
Pampoon
Vrythramax
pampoon wrote:
Aww, what happened to this? I say we bring this thing back to life!

God bless,
Pampoon

I agree totally....lets see what happens over the next few days...I know of a few "backdoors" to DalNet.....(I used to be thier Services Admin).

I have some family I must visit today, but I will correct any problems tonight.
rvec
I'll be idling there two again.
Vrythramax
rvec wrote:
I'll be idling there two again.

If you idling (also called lurking), why do you not speak?

I have tried talking to you an you will not respond.
rvec
i idle 24/7
i don't think it's to strange if i don't respond all the time Smile
Quote:
[19:59] * Vrythra-max has joined #frihost
[19:59] <Vrythra-max> hello
[20:00] * Vrythra-max is now known as vrythramax
[20:02] <vrythramax> is anybody home???
[20:03] * vrythramax is now known as vrythra-max
[20:07] * vrythra-max has quit IRC (Quit: )
[21:06] * vrythra-max has joined #frihost
[21:14] <rvec> i am now
[21:14] <rvec> was hiding easter eggs
[21:14] <rvec> then laughing at my family
[21:14] <rvec> and then eating them
[21:16] * vrtythr-max has joined #frihost
[21:17] * vrtythr-max has quit IRC (Quit: )
[21:17] <rvec> getting bizzy
[21:18] <rvec> Razz
[21:20] * vrythra-max has quit IRC (Ping timeout)

I did respond Razz
jabapyth
Awesome! I've waited for this for a while. Good choice in dalnet, too.
mjohnson
Oh,Dalnet,I can not use it.Maybe the webchat I can have a try,but are there many people in the chatroom?
rvec
sure always full. But just not too full...Smile
always someone to talk to.
but there's only one way to find out ...
hack_man_
BugBear wrote:

Well that must be very odd. Because Echogames.net is hosted on GoDaddy. It seems that you can't blame S2 for everything that goes wrong...
Hogwarts
hack_man_ wrote:
BugBear wrote:

Well that must be very odd. Because Echogames.net is hosted on GoDaddy. It seems that you can't blame S2 for everything that goes wrong...

Yes, it was hosted on Echogames.net which is on GD.

I can't believe we were arguing on my birthday of all days o.O (10th of July)

Alas, currenly I am not hosting the IRC client. It got deleted by mistake some time ago, and I haven't remember to fix it.
Josso
I wondered when Frihost would get an IRC channel. Nice work, a moderator should sticky this thread.
rvec
Josso wrote:
Oh cool, only just noticed this thread. Shouldn't it be sticky'ed?

Josso wrote:

I wondered when Frihost would get an IRC channel. Nice work, a moderator should sticky this thread.

You are repeating yourself Razz
Vrythramax
rvec wrote:
i idle 24/7
Quote:

I did respond Razz

ahhh I oh see, I am supposed to wait 8-15 minutes for a reply, that's called lurking....and some member want extra points for it.
rvec
thats becouse i have to sleep Razz
And I don't really need the extra points.
But it might give the popularity of the channel a boost.
Indyan
I got
Quote:
K-banned: Open proxy found on your host

Cant access it. No use delisting as I have a dynamic ip address and tried refreshing ip, got the same error again. May be my entire ISP is banned. Dataone's ip address are blacklisted due to some reasons by lots of spam blocking services.
rvec
have you tryed the different java applets?
And if that doesn't work you can try it with a proxy server.
Arnie
How about we add a link to the applet in our signatures, that might boost the amount of people in the channel.
Vrythramax
rvec wrote:
i idle 24/7
Quote:

I did respond Razz

sure almost 16 minutes after I said anything. that's called lurking....your not paying attention, besides (by your own workds) you were getting "bizzy".....try turning off the puter, and not keep others hanging while your getting "bizzy".
Arnie
So much for our cosy IRC channel. Only 5 members and already a war? Nice job! Mr. Green
rvec
Quote:
[05:50] * vrythramax has joined #frihost
[05:51] <vrythramax> just lurking rvec?
[05:51] <vrythramax> HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOO
[05:53] * vrythramax has left #frihost

Like that?
coming in,
ah there is a member,
say somethin,
and in less than 5 minutes get away.

Even if i only needed something to drink i would've missed it.
And if you "lurk"/idle you can just come by and take a look every now and then and see if someone has been posting something. IRC is not the same as a normal chat. People idle in there, and if you say something it might take an hour to get an answer. But you just have to wait and not leave in 3 minutes.
Vrythramax
rvec wrote:
Quote:
[05:50] * vrythramax has joined #frihost
[05:51] <vrythramax> just lurking rvec?
[05:51] <vrythramax> HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Like that?
coming in,
ah there is a member,
say somethin,
and in less than 5 minutes get away.

Even if i only needed something to drink i would've missed it.
And if you "lurk"/idle you can just come by and take a look every now and then and see if someone has been posting something. IRC is not the same as a normal chat. People idle in there, and if you say something it might take an hour to get an answer. But you just have to wait and not leave in 3 minutes.

I beg to differ....IRC means Internet Relay Chat, and if your not chatting, your lurking.

If you would like to belabor this point of technology feel free to PM me.

BTW....I lost my connection, but I was soon back....how come that isn't posted?
rvec
Vrythramax wrote:
rvec wrote:

I beg to differ....IRC means Internet Relay Chat, and if your not chatting, your lurking.

If you would like to belabor this point of technology feel free to PM me.

BTW....I lost my connection, but I was soon back....how come that isn't posted?

Well even if it's meant not to idle/lurk i think it's a good thing to do so. That way you can comment on things said before.

you came back soon?

*watching his logs*

Quote:
[08:34] * ProfessorNuclio has joined #frihost
[08:34] <ProfessorNuclio> Hello Hackman
[08:34] <ProfessorNuclio> oh dear
[08:34] * ProfessorNuclio is now known as Tobias
[08:34] <Tobias> that's better Razz

then a lot of talking untill 11:18

Quote:
[11:48] * vrythramax has joined #frihost
[11:53] <vrythramax> it's so quiet in here.....I can hear my mouse run
[11:53] <vrythramax> hehe

so you joined almost 6 hours later.
Vrythramax
some people have a thing called a life they must deal with from time to time, and your logs are bogus.

The channel #frihost has been regained by Frihost staff.

or did you miss that part because you were not present?
rvec
As long as my bot is in the channel he keeps logs
Out of these logs I make stats every day at 22:30GMT.
Stats available at: http://www.bierkip.nl/irc/frihoststats.html

The bot also checks who is online every minute. You can see who is online at:
http://www.bierkip.nl/irc/frihost.html

If anyone could make a php script to make a picture out of the second link it would be greatly appreciated.
Arnie
Rvec, your stats are no good as long as the bot isn't online 24/7. Wink But I like the random quote thingy.
rvec
i was trying to get the bot up 24/7. And it all went well untill:

Quote:
[04:12] <Vrythramax> hi meanbot
[04:12] <Vrythramax> !beer
[04:12] * MeanBot passes Vrythramax a beer
[04:13] <Vrythramax> thank you
[04:13] <Vrythramax> !list
[04:13] <Vrythramax> !commands
[04:19] <Vrythramax> !joke
[04:19] <Vrythramax> suck bot
[04:19] * MeanBot was kicked by Vrythramax (Vrythramax)
[04:19] * MeanBot has joined #Frihost
[04:19] <MeanBot> Do you like me?
[04:19] <Vrythramax> no
[04:20] * MeanBot was kicked by Vrythramax (Vrythramax)
[04:20] * Vrythramax sets mode: +b *!*MeanBot@89.220.75.*
[04:20] <Vrythramax> much better
[04:22] * Vrythramax sets mode: -b+b *!*MeanBot@89.220.75.* *!*MeanBot@89.*
[04:23] <Vrythramax> toast
[04:23] <Vrythramax> you should have been watching
[04:50] * Vrythramax has quit IRC (Ping timeout)

So i changed the nick from MeanBot to Fbot, and he's in again. And some people wonder why i don't like them.

The bot idled in #frihelp for the rest of the night. And the pc on which the bot runs also has a web server so it's already on 24/7.

Edit: My bot and I will not go to the channel again. The stats will be deleted and so will the bot.

Edit2: everything is deleted. It's not becouse I didn't like the place, I liked it every time. There is just one person I can't stand.
Arnie
Arnie wrote:
So much for our cosy IRC channel. Only 5 members and already a war? Nice job! Mr. Green

Austin Powers, International man of Mystery - Frihost's Un-Official competition runner wrote:
Birds fly away in the winter. (keyword 1)
What could you move to at Frihost? (keyword 2)
Vrythramax
No war really...and Rvec failed to mention his insults to me.

I am the person he can't stand....and I'm afraid I won't lose any sleep over it.
Tumbleweed
Nevermind Vrythramax , I pinched Rvecs sweets......atleast I think they were sweets..... Shocked Wheeeeeeee
Vrythramax
Tumbleweed wrote:
Nevermind Vrythramax , I pinched Rvecs sweets......atleast I think they were sweets..... Shocked Wheeeeeeee

I am not even going to ask for an explaination of "sweets".

I think I am getting to old. Sad
MrBlueSky
Ah, an official channel. I like it. Very Happy
hack_man_
MrBlueSky wrote:

You have only just noticed? Could a mod please stop all the botting and make a new announcement about the IRC channel? This is getting crazy!
MrBlueSky
hack_man_ wrote:
MrBlueSky wrote:

You have only just noticed? Could a mod please stop all the botting and make a new announcement about the IRC channel? This is getting crazy!

Yes, but that's also due to the fact that I wasn't at frihost for a few days. Anyway stycking it or making an announcement is a good idea I think.
Vrythramax
There is a discussion going on between the staff about making an IRC "Sticky", but since the channel is still new we have to work out the rules before making any kind of "Official" statement.

As for right now I would ask that any user to not bring a bot into the channel, or for the time being, it will be banned. The same goes for flooding, spamming, and any other infraction of the (IRC) server(s) rules. The general rules of conduct when in the forum(s) should also be applied to your usage of the Frihost channel.

DalNet is a very large server system, if you have a bot you wish to try out, or even play with.....simply register a channel on your own and run the bot there....assuming the server you are connected to even allows them.

Also for the time being, only staff will be given OP status in the channel.

Thank You.
Daniel15
If you want a bot, I can arrange that - I have a server I leave on all the time. I'll keep logs and stats for everyone Smile
Arnie
Maybe you should start with joining the channel Wink
Daniel15
Arnie wrote:
Maybe you should start with joining the channel Wink

Yeah, I sure will... Once I have more free time Smile.
I'm usually on irc.villageirc.net (#simplemachines) and irc.freenode.net (various channels... ##php, #lighttpd, #cms), but vary rarely on DalNET. I guess I'll start using it again Smile
Vrythramax
Thank You Daniel15, your input would be greatly appreciated. Smile
rightclickscott
Sweet, I'm finally in the IRC channel. You guys may love me there.
Daniel15
Real time chat logs are now available at http://frihost-chat.us.to/logs/ Very Happy. If you have any suggestions relating to the chat logs, please feel free to post them here Smile

I'm aware of one current bug: Colour codes aren't displayed correctly (the actual symbol is output, rather than it changing the text colour). I'll fix this as soon as possible (once I figure out the best way to parse IRC colour codes in PHP).
Arseniy
I'm already there - after five or six times trying to connect.
Well... good idea instead of shoutbox=)
starfish2007
what is IRC ? and when itryed that web chat i got a security alurt
Vrythramax
starfish2007 wrote:

IRC is Internet Relay Chat, the fore-runner to all of those instant messenging programs out there. It allows for real-time conversations with people.

It also requires a special program such as mIRC, or the use of a web interface. Frihost's web interface is located at http://frihost-chat.us.to/webchat/

I hope you will join us Smile
Daniel15
starfish2007 wrote:

Don't worry about the security alert, it's just because I haven't updated the chat applet (it's an old version, and the security certificate has since expired). When I get some free time, I'll get the new version and install it.
Arseniy
Ha-ha, I made a banner for the channel.

It's handmade and that's why isn't very beautiful - I used IrfanView for editing=)
Vrythramax
Outstanding Arseniy! Our first IRC banner!

BTW....I'm sorry I mispelled your name in the channel yesterday....my bad Sad

Please keep up the good work!

Thank You.

Max
rightclickscott
I'd probably pay more attention to this place if the Sketchbattle IRC channel wasn't much more interesting. You know what you all have to do!
Vrythramax
rightclickscott wrote:
I'd probably pay more attention to this place if the Sketchbattle IRC channel wasn't much more interesting. You know what you all have to do!

All you have to do is talk on our channel Smile
Arseniy
Hah, thanks=)
I'd just nothing to do=)
Now put it in your sigs and advertise. Or make better banner, because mine is really ugly. Even for me=)
Vrythramax
If anyone is intersted n making a banner for the irc channel please PM me and I'll give you the info needed to be included.

Maybe I'll seek out the Marketplace forum, I'm sure there are people willing to help there as well.

I'd like to point out that Arseniy volunteered his time to help out. Cool Applause
reddishblue
I would, if you unban me... Sad
Arseniy
Your pleasure=) I'm always ready to help=)
Yet another banner made by Helios (he seems to be very lazy to put it here Very Happy ):

(C) by Helios or _SainT_.
Helios
lol I kinda forgot Razz
Went to watch Mr. Bean`s Holiday... very funny film btw.
Anyway, join the channel Smile
rightclickscott
Vrythramax wrote:
rightclickscott wrote:

All you have to do is talk on our channel :)

There's never anyone to talk to! D:
Vrythramax
rightclickscott wrote:
Vrythramax wrote:
rightclickscott wrote:

All you have to do is talk on our channel Smile

There's never anyone to talk to! D:

When you are tere you don't speak, so how can you say there is no-one to talk too? It's always "scott-recording" or something else.
Daniel15
The official rules are now up, at http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-72012.html. For all the IRC users here, please refer to the new rules post Smile
rvec
I am sorry for what I said some weeks ago, especially to Vrythramax.

I will be going to Venice this Monday but I will be back and from Friday on I will be joining #frihost 24/7 again.
Vrythramax
rvec wrote:
I am sorry for what I said some weeks ago, especially to Vrythramax.

I will be going to Venice this Monday but I will be back and from Friday on I will be joining #frihost 24/7 again.

All is forgiven Rvec....no worries Smile
rvec
Thx max.

this happened a couple of hours ago:
Quote:
[13:50] * _SainT_ sets mode: +m

And at the moment I am the only one in. Lucky me is voiced, but guests are not...
Can some mod set mode back to -m?
Vrythramax
rvec wrote:
Thx max.

this happened a couple of hours ago:
Quote:
[13:50] * _SainT_ sets mode: +m

And at the moment I am the only one in. Lucky me is voiced, but guests are not...
Can some mod set mode back to -m?

The modes are back to normal rvec, everyone has voice capabilties.
Crosser
How do I join the IRC Server?
Hogwarts
Daniel15 wrote:
Use the Webchat, available at http://frihost-chat.uni.cc/

Please use the webchat available at http://www.frihost-chat.uni.cc/

Currently I'm alone in the channel Sad

Not even Frihbot is on there! (Unlike my reliable bot. No, Bock, I'll never shut up Razz )
rvec
there is a netsplit, I am also in the channel. Also alone ...
And Reddish I am a real person Razz
Quote:
[09:08] <Reddish> Is Rvec a real person?
[09:09] <Tobias> Of course
[09:09] <Tobias> I mean, he's Dutch
[09:09] <Tobias> but I think he's still human Smile
[09:09] <Reddish> Because he never leaves
[09:09] <Reddish> I think I talked to him once
[09:10] <Reddish> So I guess he is a real person

Laughing
Vrythramax
rvec wrote:
there is a netsplit, I am also in the channel. Also alone ...
And Reddish I am a real person Razz
Quote:
[09:08] <Reddish> Is Rvec a real person?
[09:09] <Tobias> Of course
[09:09] <Tobias> I mean, he's Dutch
[09:09] <Tobias> but I think he's still human Smile
[09:09] <Reddish> Because he never leaves
[09:09] <Reddish> I think I talked to him once
[09:10] <Reddish> So I guess he is a real person

Laughing

rvec is indeed a real person...I am a bot. Razz
rvec
I connected to another server (-punch.va.us.dal.net-).
I am in the channel with Frihbot now.
krazy
yep, i'm nearly always on the chat Lol
Vedder6
thats cool that theres a IRC channel now. i just started using irc a little bit ago and its a good program. you can always find people playing battle field or quake on there. its great!
Vrythramax
Vedder6 wrote:
thats cool that theres a IRC channel now. i just started using irc a little bit ago and its a good program. you can always find people playing battle field or quake on there. its great!

Actually IRC is not a specific program, but rather a protocal...just like http or ftp are protocals. There are quite a few programs out there designed specifically for using IRC.

My personal favorite is mIRC.
rightclickscott
If you have a Mac, I suggest you use jIRCii. It's the only free Mac IRC program that I could find, and it is pretty nifty.
Carlosus
Thanks for your job. Maybe it can help me with some support. I'm just learning php. I'll see you there
rvec
If more people stay in there we might start a support channel. But before that happens we have to get a more reliable bot, and more idlers who can jump in every now and then.
Arnie
Well a bot is not really important, however getting more users is. And also the current users should become a bit less passive. At the moment they won't even join my multiplayer game servers!
Vrythramax
ummm...I think the purpose of the channel is more for support and real-time chatting....not promoting your game server.
rvec
Arnie wrote:
Well a bot is not really important, however getting more users is. And also the current users should become a bit less passive. At the moment they won't even join my multiplayer game servers!

If you had a good game on your server Razz....

But i think we need a lot more users if we want to use this for support. We need people online and ready to answer questions 24/7.
Vrythramax
rvec wrote:
If you had a good game on your server Razz....

But i think we need a lot more users if we want to use this for support. We need people online and ready to answer questions 24/7.

Well having it staffed may become possible if we had more active users in the channel...but asking people to volunteer 24/7 is an impossible task.

Be patient, things will either smooth out or the idea will be shelved until another time. We still have the Support forums and PM's. Also it's not more users that would be needed for the channel to be viable for support...but staff that can actually be able to do something to help...answering questions is only a part of the support process.
rvec
with people from Australia, Europe and America it should be possible to occupy the channel 24/7. Just some more becouse if one person has no time the channel is empty for a couple of hours.
rightclickscott
The thing is, as often as I'm there, more often than not, I'm not going to be paying attention to it. I'm going to either be in the Sketchbattle IRC channel, or be paying attention to everything else.
MadeinIndia
I went to the #Frihost channel on Dalnet and guess what, I found 3 people in there including the bot.

There was this op _Saint_ who said my nick "Traveller" is not acceptable as it belongs to a mod and I have to change it! It was incredulous! hahaha!

Then I told him that I had the nick for a very long time and it has been registered with Dalnet and I have also Identified for it.

Traveller on #frihost
Traveller using serenity.ix.us.dal.net The Windy City's Hot Air Connection
Traveller has identified for this nick
Traveller has been idle 7secs, signed on Sun May 27 14:42:04

Well, he still did not get the point and said I have to change if other ops object to my nick? I was like...excuse me? Why should I change my rightfully registered nick name that is not vulgur or anything like that?

Can anyone shed some light into this childishness?
Arnie
They cannot force you to change your nick. Frihost doesn't have any authority on Dalnet, so if you registered the nickname on Dalnet, they have nothing to do with that and cannot do anything about it.

Frihost only has authority on #frihost so they could choose to ban you, but that would be very childish. And the Traveller from Frihost would still not get your nickname anyway, since you registered it.
mathiaus
MadeinIndia wrote:

It's not chilishness. If you had been using the nick 'Bondings' on dalnet, you would not be allowed on our channel for the obvious reason that people would think you are someone who you are not. In your case, another moderator, traveller.

Our IRC rules clearly state you are not allowed to do this (rule 17). While you may not be trying to create turmoil, it's still not allowed.

We are not asking you to unregister your nick or give it to us or anything, just don't use it on our channel. When you join, change it to something we may recognise YOU as (/nick MadeInIndia).
We don't have authority over registered names on dalnet, but we do have authority over who can enter and use our channel!
Edas
Helios
No, you don't have to pay for it.
Vrythramax
I the nick in question was indeed registered with NickServ before our channel opened (sorry Traveller) then the nickname in question would have to be changed according to DalNet rules. This could be as simply changing one letter in your nickname...this would bypass Dal's rules concerning NickServ.

Sorry again Traveller Sad

Edas wrote:

No, the rules of Dalnet are not posted there (at the mIRC Site that is), please refer to the official Dalnet Website...or out own Official Rules for conduct at: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vp-606185.html#606185

I hope this help, and we are looking forward to meeting you there. Smile
Vrythramax
BTW...the nick Bondings was being used, but not registered, it was only used to create problems and give bad info....I'll give any regular IRC users 2 guesses who was using it. I stepped in and put a stop to it.

Now I am hated, and actions have been taken to make me look bad. Unfortunatly the rules I wrote may not have been the best, but until Frihost integrates it into not only the forums, but the hosting....problems will continue....and these problems are easily handled.

I have been aorund IRC for a very long time, and it can be alot of fun and also a real-time support forum.
Daniel15
Edas wrote:

Yeah, that's the one Smile
mIRC is "shareware", which means it's a trial that you need to pay for after some time. If you want a truly free IRC program, take a look at HydraIRC (for Windows) or X-Chat (Windows, Linux, Mac) Smile.
Bockman
MadeinIndia wrote:
I went to the #Frihost channel on Dalnet and guess what, I found 3 people in there including the bot.

There was this op _Saint_ who said my nick "Traveller" is not acceptable as it belongs to a mod and I have to change it! It was incredulous! hahaha!

Then I told him that I had the nick for a very long time and it has been registered with Dalnet and I have also Identified for it.

Traveller on #frihost
Traveller using serenity.ix.us.dal.net The Windy City's Hot Air Connection
Traveller has identified for this nick
Traveller has been idle 7secs, signed on Sun May 27 14:42:04

Well, he still did not get the point and said I have to change if other ops object to my nick? I was like...excuse me? Why should I change my rightfully registered nick name that is not vulgur or anything like that?

Just to set this straight...

You may be using that nick for a very long time on other places, i'm not telling you haven't, but it has NOT been either on our forums, or the DAL.net network.

You registered that nick with DAL.net on the 24th of May, 2007 and if it wasn't to join our channel, it's a very funny coincidence that you registered that nick at this time.

IF we were talking about someone using that nick on that network for a long time (previous to the channel creation, at least) I would have no problems in accepting that nick in our channel. You have a pretty good example, which is Helios. He uses the nick SainT because Helios had already been taken (for the record, on the 29th January 2006). If by any chance the user currently using Helios on DAL.net was to join our channel, i'd have no problems with that.

The way it happened in this case though, seems to me like it was registered with the intent of being used primarily in our channel and, since that would confuse our users and they would think they were talking with Traveller the mod and not with you, I believe changing the nick would be the best way of solving this.
This would avoid people confusing you with Traveller and would help other users recognize you for whom you are in the forums.

I don't want to force you to change nick (nor would I ever do that), but In my opinion, it would be for the best for both of you.

Be Well Cool
MadeinIndia
To set things straight, I was really using this nick for a very long time. But due to a project, I had to be out of town for more than a month. My account was inactive, even here on Frihost (You can check with the mods here if I was really inactive for a long duration), I had enough points so that did not affect me here on Frihost.

But if you know Dalnet, it usually cancels inactive nicks. As soon as I logged in back, I realized my nick has been de-registered and I immediately registered it again.

To your point about me registering the nick and entering the chat room. As I mentioned before, I was away for many weeks and came back and logged on to the Frihost forums and found out about the new IRC room. Then I Immediately went on to Dalnet only to find out about my nick being de-registered.

You can clearly check the frihost records on how long I have been away. Usually single word nicks are not available on Dalnet. They are a premium. I was lucky to get back my nick immediately as I guess no one noticed it being de-registered. How can you explain that a nick like "Traveller" being available then? If "Traveller" was really available, how come the so called Moderator Traveller did not register it before? I never met him or know about him, he must be having something like ^Traveller^ or _Traveller_ or some stuff like that but not a single nick like mine.

Try to get a nick called "Flash" "Hero" or any such nicks on Dalnet. Impossible.
Bockman
First off, I wasn't attacking you, so please calm down.

I don't really need to check with mod's for your inactiveness, I can check that part myself (as can any other normal user).

IF that nick has always been yours, I don't see any reason for you to drop it, as said earlier. Traveller already has a new regged nick (since yesterday) and he has no beef about this situation (and neither have I). Ofc he would prefer to maintain his forum nick, but if that's not possible, there are workarounds for it.

He didn't have a registered nick on DAL.net and that's not what was told to you. All that was said was that that nick was used by a Frihost Moderator.
He tried to register that nick to enter #frihost for support to our members (guess he wasn't IRC active b4) and after checking we saw the nick had been freshly registered by one of our members. I think you can understand why we thought you had just registered the nick (as re-registering information does not show).

Btw.. the "so called Moderator" IS a Moderator (you should start paying attention to the user tags on this forum) and to my knowledge he has not been offensive to you...
Also, let me tell you that you have never been absent from frihost for one month.

Be Well Cool
MadeinIndia
I don't know exactly how many days I was away, I was shooting a documentary and I was away for 25 days to be exact, dunno if I might have logged in once in between to check my points.

Anyway, all's well that ends well..If the moderator wants my nick, I can give it to him. Smile I will take a different nick.

See, all this issue was how it was put to me...I just enter a room and someone tells me abruptly to change my nick as it belongs to someone, I got ticked off...Other than that, there is no problem.
rvec
I guess you are not alowed to stay in the channel when you're not behind the pc yourself...

Quote:
[04:58] * You were kicked from #frihost by Vrythramax (lurking and simply logging)
-
[05:00] * You were kicked from #frihost by Vrythramax (banned: lurking and logging the channel)
-
[05:00] #frihost unable to join channel (address is banned)

And still banned atm. As you can see this is 5:00 local time. I think I was sleeping.
And the logging part, I always log every channel I am in.

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-72012.html
Can't find anything about "lurking" or logging...

Just banning the ones you don't like?
Vrythramax
I will lift the ban, if you are willing to partcaipate in the channel. As I see it you are just hangingabout and logging the conversations for the benefits of others....you are active in other channels. I think thats called "spying"

Your ban shall be lifted until such time as you become a lurker again. If you were sleeping, then it's my bad, but most people log off when they go to bed.
rvec
I am spying?
Laughing
Quote:
if you are willing to partcaipate in the channel

Want to see some logs of me talking ? Wink

Quote:
but most people log off when they go to bed.

most people who keep the pc on for downloading and have mirc don't.

Edit:
Quote:
Your ban shall be lifted until such time as

Still nothing happening ....
MadeinIndia
In my 14 years of being on various BBS's, IRC's, I understand that most of the people just login and go away. That has been acceptable for ages and never did I experience anyone getting kicked away for being inactive. Sometimes many years back, there was a competition amongst us to see how long we would be online. I managed to be online for 5 days before the server disconnecting me off.

Usually, there is a auto away which tells the user is away. You can also keep your status to Away to let people know that you are not around. Just type /away
rvec
i know max also has mirc and he knows how to see if someone is idle.
And most of the time I try to change my nick into something like Rvec|asleep or Rvec|movie but I sometimes forget.

Edit:
I am still on the server you can pm me.
Vrythramax
rvec wrote:
i know max also has mirc and he knows how to see if someone is idle.
And most of the time I try to change my nick into something like Rvec|asleep or Rvec|movie but I sometimes forget.

Edit:
I am still on the server you can pm me.

I think this is a topic that should be handled in private, but since you wish to make it public...so be it. If you wish to log our channel, even while sleeping, it is not right, Especially when you are active in other channel while you are "sleeping". Explain those actions to the users and staff and i will lift the ban.

I am not the hardass you wish to make me out to be, I have a job to do, and I do it very well.
rightclickscott
I still don't see what the big deal is with people not talking. I'm in there every chance I get, and it's never very active, so I stop paying attention to it. But I still participate if I'm wondering what's going on in there and peopel are being active. Even if they are, it's never something I want to talk about. You see where my problem is?
Vrythramax
rvec wrote:
I guess you are not alowed to stay in the channel when you're not behind the pc yourself...

Quote:
[04:58] * You were kicked from #frihost by Vrythramax (lurking and simply logging)
-
[05:00] * You were kicked from #frihost by Vrythramax (banned: lurking and logging the channel)
-
[05:00] #frihost unable to join channel (address is banned)

And still banned atm. As you can see this is 5:00 local time. I think I was sleeping.
And the logging part, I always log every channel I am in.

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-72012.html
Can't find anything about "lurking" or logging...

Just banning the ones you don't like?

The ban was lifted as per request from staff...possibly you may not want to asleep in one channel and active in another.
Vrythramax
rightclickscott wrote:
I still don't see what the big deal is with people not talking. I'm in there every chance I get, and it's never very active, so I stop paying attention to it. But I still participate if I'm wondering what's going on in there and peopel are being active. Even if they are, it's never something I want to talk about. You see where my problem is?

The Frihbot only echoes what you wish it to say. So that is not an approval.
rvec
Vrythramax wrote:
rightclickscott wrote:

The Frihbot only echoes what you wish it to say. So that is not an approval.

He wasn't talking about the bot ...

And about me being active in one channel and sleeping in another. I sleep about 10 hours a day, if you speak to me and I respond I will also respond on any other server/channel I am on. Sometimes like rightclickscott also mentions the topic does not interest me and I only talk in one channel. And some of those times I might have announced to go to sleep. I think I am not the only one who postpones those things sometimes.

But even if I was logging and only talking once a month, what would be the problem. The way the channel is now I think we need every 10 minutes of talk we can get. And If I wanted to spy on you guys I could just copy the logs the bot makes from the site.

BTW if you know someone who wants to give money for the logs please contact me becouse I haven't found him/her yet.

Edit: thx for letting me in again.

Edit2: 2 other people in here
Tobias|asleep (lurker Razz )
and FrihBot (ping timeout after a couple of hours), we need a better bot...

yay!! ReallyCleanSocks has joined #FriHost
rightclickscott
<Vrythramax> hi scott
<Vrythramax> so your not going to tslk again?
<Vrythramax> I used to like you...but welcome to my ignore button
*** ReallyCleanSocks has been kicked by Vrythramax: Vrythramax

I totally forgot I had the channel open! D:
Arnie
I think he missed the ignore button and hit another one. By accident, of course.
Vrythramax
rightclickscott wrote:
<Vrythramax> hi scott

you should be ignored....why join a channel just to sleep and not talk? you used to be cool...but now your differant.

Sue me.
Lessien
glad to see frihost has an irc channel now.
i always found it easier to chat through that then posting on a forum.
if ya have a problem, on a forum you first have to figure out how you gonna type it so everybody understands what the problem is. in a chatwindow it's more of a talk and reply scenario so you can give extra information (right away) and so on. not that i post lots of problems, i always end up having the feeling i'm bugging peeps.
but most of the times i'm there to just chat and have fun. in the previous room there was always lots to do, starting from starting an virtual party to a pie trowing fight. but it's pretty much dead now Sad no one ever comes there anymore.
so i'm really happy i found a new place to hang out.
now if people would just start talking.
or did i scare them? i can be rather scary by times i guess.
hehe
see you all there!
theem
I am not able to connect to this IRC CHANNEL !!!!

can anybody tell me why is that ?? i am using a proxy ..., Idea
Helios
Are you trying to connect via the web client, or mIRC (or a different local script) ?
Lessien
i would suggest you just download mirc on
www.mirc.com
do look on what version fits with your compy
i always found it easier to use then any other program i encountered
and if you need help setting mirc up, just give me a holler (or pm)
i'll be glad to help you with it
mjohnson
I don't know how to use dalnet,but it seems very cool,maybe I will have a try when I learn some knowledge of IRC and dalnet.
rvec
it's not that hard. Just go to the web applet page and you're in.

web applet page: http://frihost-chat.uni.cc/
Vrythramax
mjohnson wrote:
I don't know how to use dalnet,but it seems very cool,maybe I will have a try when I learn some knowledge of IRC and dalnet.

I'll personally teach you Smile and I helped write some of the protocals that are now just average. PM me...I'll show you how it works Wink
Bondings
I'm posting this message here as I forgot to mention that Vrythramax is now an official Frihost IRC admin.
pampoon
Bondings wrote:
I'm posting this message here as I forgot to mention that Vrythramax is now an official Frihost IRC admin.

Wahoo max! You finally got the position you've been wanting ever since I brought the IRC channel back from non-existence...

Time for a promotion party!

God bless,
Pampoon
rightclickscott
Vrythramax wrote:
rightclickscott wrote:
<Vrythramax> hi scott

you should be ignored....why join a channel just to sleep and not talk? you used to be cool...but now your differant.

Sue me.

You used to be cool, too, Max! D:<

-Files a lawsuit.-
SpellcasterDX
This is pretty cool. How did this come about/happen?
Vrythramax
Cuz I know how to make things happen Wink

@scott your still my buddy, sometime we just see things diferantly.
saratdear
Oh, what fun!

I can't use the channel, because I don't have Java Runtime environment. And I can't get Java Runtime Environment, because there seems to be some problem downloading it.

Well, well... Rolling Eyes
Arnie
How pitiful. Unfortunately on Google there's no way to find free IRC clients and nobody was kind enough to mention some in this topic either... Sad There's not even a Java runtime download to be found on Google. What is happening to the quality of the Internet!?
Vrythramax
try http://www.mirc.com

I will help from there. Smile
rightclickscott
Vrythramax wrote:
@scott your still my buddy, sometime we just see things diferantly.

Hurrah! -snuggles-

Also, I think you should put up links to some free, easy to use clients, like Mirc and the one I linked to earlier, jIRCii (for people with Macs of course), on the first post. Here's the one I linked:

rightclickscott wrote:
If you have a Mac, I suggest you use jIRCii. It's the only free Mac IRC program that I could find, and it is pretty nifty.
Vrythramax
@scott

you and I have a love/hate relationship. your always going to be my friend....I just don't agree with evrything you say. Sad

Doesn't mean I don't love you Wink
rvec
Arnie wrote:
How pitiful. Unfortunately on Google there's no way to find free IRC clients and nobody was kind enough to mention some in this topic either... Sad There's not even a Java runtime download to be found on Google. What is happening to the quality of the Internet!?

Mirc is free, and even if you don't register you can use it forever. The only advantage of registering (and paying) is you don't have to click the give-me-money-pop-up away.

And the java you need to install is just the thing you find if you type java in google: http://www.java.com/en/
Arnie
Are you serious, Rvec?? Why didn't anyone mention that before?? No wonder poor saratdear gave us the Rolling Eyes ... You can't expect him to spend an hour working through Google results to find a free IRC client or (even worse Surprised ) the Java runtime environment!!!

Computers were supposed to make our lives easier Sad
rvec
try using the right search terms:
http://www.google.com/search?q=freeware+irc+client
http://www.google.com/search?q=java+runtime
i don't know about other languages but with my settings the first page has enough hits.
Traveller
It's been quite a while since I tried it, so I forget EXACTLY why, but there was some reason I didn't like mIRC.

So far, I've been quite happy with Orion, which is free, with NO registration requirements of any kind.
Arnie
Rvec, I think it may also be good if you explain saratdear what to do next, after opening these Google results. Not everyone is a Google PRO like you, see? Wink
saratdear
Thanks for the interest everyone! I got mIRC installed, and I am quite happy. Really. I can chat now! And mIRC is a really good program. If anyone else is having problems like this, I recommend it.

Well, well... Rolling Eyes (again Laughing )
Arnie
Congrats, I'll see you on IRC! Smile Sometimes you need to push a few people around to get them to post the right links Razz *ahem*
antmillz
cool, ill check it out
rvec
Arnie wrote:
Congrats, I'll see you on IRC! Smile Sometimes you need to push a few people around to get them to post the right links Razz *ahem*

Surprised not fair

But i did some searching and testing:

orion http://tellini.info/software/orion/
Easy, no looks, no extra buttons, nothing extra.

icechat http://www.tucows.com/preview/337245
looks nice, easy to use, little wizzard and lot of standard settings (so you don't have to set them)

mirc http://www.mirc.com
a lot of extra scripts available
lot of people can give support

turbo irc http://www.tucows.com/get/322947_123901
has a wizzard to connect to the channel and when you are done with that a help screen pops up, and you have to press on connect, select the server again and click connect again to finaly enter the channel. I didn't try out the advanced setting.

nettalk http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Chat/IRC-Clients/Nettalk.shtml
easy to use. gives a little help with commands like /nick or /join
can also minimize to system tray (thing near the clock)

mirc and nettalk are my first choice.

If you don't want to install software on your pc you can always use a webbased client.
I found 2 differend versions on wich you can join #frihost.
the official one (uses java) http://frihost-chat.uni.cc/

And some schools/workplaces might have blocked the java or the applet in some other way. For those there is CGI:IRC. Some sites:
http://www.chriscole.info/cgiirc/irc.cgi
http://cgi5.scoutlink.ch/cgi-bin/irc.cgi
http://www.netrusk.net/cgi-bin/irc.cgi
http://www.darkfire.net/cgiirc/
http://wwwirc.kapsi.fi/cgiirc/irc.cgi
some of the CGI:IRC might be blocked on Dalnet becouse they are sometimes used for flooding.

The settings wich you'll always need:
channel: #frihost
nick: your frihost nick
command to change your nick: /nick newnick
command to change/join server: /server irc.dal.net
command to change/join channel: /join #frihost

Edit: this post made me addicted Very Happy
Arnie
I never liked that rank, I will either have to decrease my posting rate so that I can stay Senior (which is great) longer, or I will have to increase my posting rate drastically so I will become Freak (which is ok) soon.

Anyway, the best IRC client is still hIRC:
rvec
i like the shield Very Happy

And i think hirc is a bit to plain. But if you want no extras it might be great.
pampoon
Arnie wrote:
I never liked that rank, I will either have to decrease my posting rate so that I can stay Senior (which is great) longer, or I will have to increase my posting rate drastically so I will become Freak (which is ok) soon.
Rvec wrote:
i like the shield Very Happy

Gosh you losers! I'm still struggling to get to FriHoster Embarassed ...

Anyways, I much prefer MIRC to the others listed. But on some occasions, I get on ChatZilla (FireFox Addon) because I like the way it's set-up.

There sure are a lot of freaks around here nowadays.

God bless,
Pampoon
Daniel15
For anyone looking for a free IRC client, I'd suggest HydraIRC (Windows), or X-Chat (Windows, Linux, Mac) Smile

Bondings wrote:

Congratulations Vrythramax! Very Happy
alexdude
The web chat doesn't work when i try it.
Vrythramax
alexdude wrote:
The web chat doesn't work when i try it.

There does seem to be a few bugs with the webchat feature, apparantly it requires some features/functions to installed with your browser in order to work properly. I am working on a flash interface and will be in touch with Daniel15 in order to work out any bugs that may arise.

We certainly apologize for any inconvience. Sad (and spelling errors)

@Daniel15...

Thank You for the congrats Smile If you could contact me about the hosting requirements, I'm sure we will work this out with little trouble.
Josso
Can someone sticky this thread please
Helios
Yeah, the member above is right. In my opinion, this official thread should be stickied.
Alas, I don't have the permissions to do that, so we'll have to wait for an Admin to show up Smile
Bockman
Helios wrote:
Yeah, the member above is right. In my opinion, this official thread should be stickied.
Alas, I don't have the permissions to do that, so we'll have to wait for an Admin to show up Smile

You have been officially "stickyfied" Razz

Be Well Cool
Vrythramax
Bockman wrote:
Helios wrote:

You have been officially "stickyfied" Razz

Be Well Cool

Way Cool!! Cool

Sorry for the spam.
CtrlAltElite
Siiiigh <Sad No-ones online.

Someone come on ur Irc channel.

Does bondings come on it at all?

C-a-E
rvec
bondings was once in i think, but i am not sure it was the real one.
And I am always in Very Happy
Responding when possible. If you say my name and afterwards say something to me I will always respond when I am back.
Vrythramax
Bondings is very busy with his studies and providing people with a valuable free service...which is why he has entrusted the channel to others.

If you visit the channel and see any member with the "@" symbol before their name...feel free to ask them anything about the services provided at Frihost...they all work here. Smile

EDIT: With the exception of FrihBot...that is a channelbot, not a real person.
Daniel15
Quote:
There does seem to be a few bugs with the webchat feature, apparantly it requires some features/functions to installed with your browser in order to work properly. I am working on a flash interface and will be in touch with Daniel15 in order to work out any bugs that may arise.

Yeah, the current one is Java-based. Most recent browsers have support for Java if it's installed (most PCs have it installed).
There's several open-source Flash IRC clients (and Vrythramax said he's working on one as well)... I may try some out and see if they're good Smile

Quote:
If you could contact me about the hosting requirements, I'm sure we will work this out with little trouble.

Hosting requirements for what? http://frihost-chat.us.to/ is on my own personal server, and I'll host whatever you like there.
Before anyone asks why it isn't hosted at FriHost, it's because the logs are read from FrihBot, and I wanted to keep the webchat in the same place. We can't host FrihBot on FriHost as the data centre does not allow IRC in any form.
rvec
for the users that don't want flash or java:
http://www.bierkip.nl/cgiirc
it's CGI:IRC and I am still working on it but it will look nicer and you will be able to only join #frihost on dal.net.
Vrythramax
rvec wrote:
for the users that don't want flash or java:
it's CGI:IRC and I am still working on it but it will look nicer and you will be able to only join #frihost on dal.net.

Very nice rvec! Works well too from what I have seen.
rightclickscott
I think I'm just posting in the IRC channel now just to have fun with Daniel's sig.
Vrythramax
rightclickscott wrote:
I think I'm just posting in the IRC channel now just to have fun with Daniel's sig.

Too much spaghetti....your turning mean. Sad
Daniel15
Just so you know... The server FrihBot was hosted on had a hard-drive failure, so FrihBot is not online at the moment (nor is my IRC signature thingy).
http://www.daniel15.com/blog/2007/06/16/hard-drive-failure/
rightclickscott
Alas, cruel fate! My beloved FrihBot is dead! Good night, sweet prince. May you bot on in your next life.

-Cries over his BFF necklace.-
Vrythramax
rightclickscott wrote:
Alas, cruel fate! My beloved FrihBot is dead! Good night, sweet prince. May you bot on in your next life.

Don't write off FriHBot so quickly...he may be down at the moment, but just like in the movies...the good guy always gets back up and kicks butt Wink
Daniel15
Vrythramax wrote:
rightclickscott wrote:

Don't write off FriHBot so quickly...he may be down at the moment, but just like in the movies...the good guy always gets back up and kicks butt Wink

I'm considering purchasing a "proper" dedicated server for my sites as well as FrihBot (as opposed to hosting it on a cheap server at my house Razz)

I'm just waiting for the owner of the dedicated server provider to confirm that IRC is allowed (Layered Technologies don't allow IRC).
m-productions
The website version of the chat is no longer loading for me... anyone know whats up?
Hogwarts
m-productions wrote:
The website version of the chat is no longer loading for me... anyone know whats up?

You need to use Rvecs.

Daniel15's server's hard drive died. So it's a case of bye-bye-logs, bye-bye frihbot, bye-bye dynamic signature and bye-bye webchat.

Use this: http://www.bierkip.nl/cgiirc
Vrythramax
Hogwarts wrote:
m-productions wrote:

You need to use Rvecs.

Daniel15's server's hard drive died. So it's a case of bye-bye-logs, bye-bye frihbot, bye-bye dynamic signature and bye-bye webchat.

wow...you really have a mean streak Crying or Very sad
Daniel15
Hogwarts wrote:
m-productions wrote:

You need to use Rvecs.

They should be back soon - I ordered my dedicated server yesterday, and am waiting for it to be set up Smile
FrihBot will be back (when the server is up, and I reconfigure it), and the webchat will be back around the same time. The logs and dynamic signature may take a little longer (I need to recode them), but will eventually be back.
pashmina
It would be nice if we could add a sort of text which displayed the number of members online on the frihost channel, at the top right of the frihost forum. This would encourage more chatters to be online on the channel.
I would be happy to display a picture sig, which display "# member online on chatroom" i.e. if its possible.
rvec
a day with max:
Quote:
[20:07] <Vrythramax> mmm...you do know your way around Smile
[20:07] * Vrythramax is impressed

Quote:

[20:44] <Vrythramax> hey...I have to go for a little while...think you can log the channel for me?

Quote:

[20:45] <Vrythramax> but I'll give you ops
[20:45] <Rvec> Surprised
[20:45] <Vrythramax> play nice now....I'm showing trust here
[20:46] -ChanServ:#FriHost- Vrythramax has opped Rvec
[20:46] * ChanServ sets mode: +o Rvec

Now all of you JOIN THE CHAT and experience max Smile
Vrythramax
This is a temp thing...who knows what the future brings.

Rvec is assisting me in logging the channel, I have full faith he will act in the best frihost mannor.
rightclickscott
He only didn't give it me because I wasn't paying attention, as usual.
rvec
sure, keep believing that or nobody will.

last part of a day with max:

Quote:
[21:19] * Rvec sets mode: -o Vrythramax

Very Happy
pampoon
Do you see what you get for trusting, max?

God bless Wink ,
Pampoon
Vrythramax
pampoon wrote:
Do you see what you get for trusting, max?

God bless Wink ,
Pampoon

He can de-op me for a moment but channel services will give them right back to me. He also cannot ban me. Smile

Rvec is helping me while I see to life's other concerns.
rvec
I knew that but it still felt good deoping the big IRC admin Laughing
Vrythramax
rvec wrote:
I knew that but it still felt good deoping the big IRC admin Laughing

Funny. (Where is that darned "KILL" button??) Twisted Evil
Daniel15
FrihBot is back (well, kinda).
I was going to install Supybot (the one we were using before), but their site is down. So, this time I'm using eggdrop. I'm still learning how to use it, though Razz

Logs are back: http://frihost-chat.us.to/logs/ Smile
Droop
does anybody know a good way to get Trilians irc t work with the channel for frihosters? I cant seem to get mine to work Neutral thanks
Vrythramax
Droop wrote:
does anybody know a good way to get Trilians irc t work with the channel for frihosters? I cant seem to get mine to work Neutral thanks

Personally I use mIRC, but we have many users who use Trillian that can help you out. Have you tried the trillian website help files? They may be faster than waiting for an answer here Wink

When you find out how to connect, the server name is irc.dal.net and the channel name is #frihost (don't forget the # sign in the channel name).
rvec
Making a tutorial on trillian now.

I'll put the link in this post.

Edit: http://www.bierkip.nl/trillian.php

Some is copy pasting and some is made by me.
Droop
Vrythramax wrote:
Droop wrote:

Personally I use mIRC, but we have many users who use Trillian that can help you out. Have you tried the trillian website help files? They may be faster than waiting for an answer here Wink

When you find out how to connect, the server name is irc.dal.net and the channel name is #frihost (don't forget the # sign in the channel name).

I got it to work, i just used the wrong server name, I put irc.dal.net instead of irc://irc.dal.net like the first post said. Smile thanks for all the help Smile
hack_man_
I don't understand this, but when I try to connect to the channel, i get an IP blocked message...
Daniel15
hack_man_ wrote:
I don't understand this, but when I try to connect to the channel, i get an IP blocked message...

This means that DALNet (the IRC network we're using) has blocked your IP. Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do about this...
hack_man_
Daniel15 wrote:
hack_man_ wrote:

This means that DALNet (the IRC network we're using) has blocked your IP. Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do about this...

I don't think that that is it... because I can join other channels just fine, it is only the Frihost one... Who is it that doesn't like me? Evil or Very Mad
Vrythramax
@ hack_man

I can assure you that nobody is banned or barred from that channel...trust me, I would know.
Arnie
Actually the bot auto-bans people that join and then leave very shortly after (up to 5 secs or so)
Vrythramax
Arnie wrote:
Actually the bot auto-bans people that join and then leave very shortly after (up to 5 secs or so)

As it stands, the bot itself can only kick/ban someone for a total of 15 minutes. Anything longer than that requires human intervention.
Arnie
Interesting. It banned me for excessive nick changes... 30m. (I got no instant response to the /nick command so I hit it 20 times with several different nicks, and then they suddenly blew in at once Mr. Green)
Vrythramax
Arnie wrote:
Interesting. It banned me for excessive nick changes... 30m. (I got no instant response to the /nick command so I hit it 20 times with several different nicks, and then they suddenly blew in at once Mr. Green)

That ban has been lifted...feel free yo join the channel at your liesure Smile
Arnie
Here /me comes...!
Code:
LET nick$ = "Arnie|"
while 1
NICK @Add$(nick$,"|")
wend
Razz
Arseniy
Hmm... DalNet banned my ip too...
It says when I try to connect:
Quote:
K-banned: [exp/comp] Compromised host on this IP. See http://kline.dal.net/proxy/proxyinfo.php?dnsbl=cbl&ip=80.73.0.193 for more information. (2007/07/06 07.57)

What's that?
Arnie
Quote:
Your IP address (80.73.0.193) has been recently used for spamming or flooding abuse. The most common reason for this is a virus or trojan infection. Read the information below to find out how to check and clean your computer.
Either your computer is infected, or you had an IP change and accidentally got an IP that was previously owned by someone whose computer was infected. Don't automatically assume, "I can't be infected", go investigate.
Arseniy
Strange... I have no trojans or viruses in my comp...
I've scanned it with Kaspersky just week ago and all was alright.
Arnie
Then probably you just got the wrong IP address.
Daniel15
Arseniy wrote:
Strange... I have no trojans or viruses in my comp...
I've scanned it with Kaspersky just week ago and all was alright.

I guess your ISP uses dynamic IP addresses, and the IP address you have at the moment was previously used by someone that's infected. If you reset your modem (or router), you should get a new IP address, and then it should work fine Smile
SamiTheBerber
It was fine to notice that there are so many people in IRC on these days.
Vrythramax
SamiTheBerber wrote:
It was fine to notice that there are so many people in IRC on these days.

It was great to see you in channel....you can talk also. english is not all of our native language and there are NO penalties for typos....or I'd be out of a job by now Smile

I hope we can chat sometime Smile
m-productions
Well ive been using the webchat for when i wanted to get on... but now thats down, and i FINALY went and downloaded the chatzilla thing for firefox.. but now, when i try to connect, i get this.

Quote:
[INFO] Network view for “irc.dal.net” opened.
[INFO] Attempting to connect to “irc.dal.net”. Use /cancel to abort.
[INFO] Connecting to irc://irc.dal.net/ (irc://irc.dal.net/)...
[ERROR] Connection to irc://irc.dal.net/ (irc://irc.dal.net/) refused. Reconnecting in 15 seconds.
[ERROR] Connection to irc://irc.dal.net/ (irc://irc.dal.net/) refused. Reconnecting in 30 seconds.
[ERROR] Connection to irc://irc.dal.net/ (irc://irc.dal.net/) refused. Reconnecting in 1 minute.

edit: my frih$ match the year =)- (not anymore =( )

if i try http://www.bierkip.nl/cgi-bin/cgiirc/irc.cgi
then this error comes up

Quote:
*** An error occured: Communication socket already exists
rvec
!@#$% bot

Please remove the protection script. I hate that thing. I wanted to try out the cgiirc and when i entered the channel and left again the bot banned my hostmask and kicked me. Nobody using the cgiirc webclient can enter the channel now.

there are also a lot of people banned for 15 min because they said something the bot doesn't like or quoted something.

I think the bot is not useful in any way at the moment and we'd be better of without it.
Arnie
FrihBot should be renamed BanBot. I also got banned several times for all sorts of stupid reasons... Laughing
Vrythramax
The bot does serve a purpose, I am sorry if the purpose it servers doesn't agree with you...but it's not going away.
Arnie
Yeah you have no need to complain, because you can unban yourself, but I bet if you couldn't you'd be locked out all the time for no reason just like everybody else... Mad
rvec
what's the purpose of the bot?
Putting the logs online? If you want that I can do that.
Protecting against floods? We didn't have any of those yet...
protecting against bad word usage? The bot bans you for 15 min and most of the time the users hate the bot for that but don't change.

Anything else the bot does?
Vrythramax
yes....it keeps me warm on cold nights.
Daniel15
rvec wrote:
!@#$% bot

Please remove the protection script. I hate that thing. I wanted to try out the cgiirc and when i entered the channel and left again the bot banned my hostmask and kicked me. Nobody using the cgiirc webclient can enter the channel now.

Yeah, I'll work on fixing that soon...

Quote:
protecting against bad word usage? The bot bans you for 15 min

And so it should Wink
Vrythramax
I am strongly leaning towards a No_Lurking rule for the Frihost channels, this not unheard of, it actually policy on all Official Dalnet Channels.

I do not wish to drive any users away, but if you are going to join the channel I strongly urge you to at least try to participate, or you are simply wasting other peoples time when they try to be friendly and speak to you. This is not a forum format, it is real live-time CHAT.

Also setting of the channels to +m (moderated) maybe in order. This would weed out those who simply wish to join and watch....that is fine, but you would need to contact a channel operator for voice capabilities, if you don't wish to participate, this mode will be of no bother to any user at all.
Arnie
And you are willing to provide 24/7 moderation so as to give voice to new users? If not, that'll be the end of the channel.

As one of the IRC users I can say you'd be wasting my time and chat experience with those rules, that are supposed to protect them.
Vrythramax
Arnie wrote:
And you are willing to provide 24/7 moderation so as to give voice to new users? If not, that'll be the end of the channel.

As one of the IRC users I can say you'd be wasting my time and chat experience with those rules, that are supposed to protect them.

the modes are back to normal....but who is to "protect" the staff from people who join and just wish to watch? Are we to to just continue trying to talk to them in a friendly mannor when they will not respond? Now THAT is is a waste of time and effort.

This is a simple enough problem, you wish to talk feel free to join, if not....don't. The whole thing is voluntary.
Arnie
Frankly I wonder who else really cares about idlers... it's not like we're going to reach the channel's user limit soon, is it?
Vrythramax
Arnie wrote:
Frankly I wonder who else really cares about idlers... it's not like we're going to reach the channel's user limit soon, is it?

No smartass, but it's not for lack of trying. Thank You so very much for pointing this fact out publicaly to gain post points.
Hammy
I've been a long time mIRC user and i've seen alot on there. (other than frihost channel)

I'd say the channel work pritty well as it is, it has Vrythramax in there quite alot and other regulars join frequently.

Perhaps the bot is a bit too advanced for such a small channel?
Im thinking it should hand out at least 1 warning b4 it bans for say 10 minutes.. then 30 minutes on third offence.
Also you talk about people idling, well if this is going to take action. How about the bot kick people who have idled for 2 hours? Personally i wouldnt like to be kicked if i were to idle for two hours, cuz someone might have highlighted me, so i would scroll up to see wat was said.

Anyways, my point was that i think the channel doesnt need as much automated moderation. Smile

Oh i've just noticed the numerous post slateing the bot... I hope you can see this isnt me slateing the bot, i have nothing wrong with it, i've never ran into any trouble with it. It's just constructive critesism (typo). Smile
Arnie
Why would I need post points when they're at 52 and will soon get reset to 45 anyway? And it's certainly not for those ~2 Frih$... With all respect: you brought up the topic of +m yourself in this public topic, so there's nothing wrong with me responding to that. And the fact that you reply so vehemently says enough about whether my post had solid content...
pampoon
@Max

Come on now, I doubt Arnie meant anything by it. Lurking is a big issue now because the channel is so small. Once it expands and reaches a much larger population, then the lurkers won't even be noticed. There will be so many people to talk to that they'll just be the outcasts.

@Arnie

I don't think you were trying to gain points (you've got plenty), but it may have seemed so to max. Just try to look at your post from every aspect and angle possible to see if there is anything that might have come across as so.

@Hammy

Keep working on that constructive criticism Smile .

God bless Wink ,
Pampoon
Vrythramax
Well I have been put in my place. The ned for the channlbot is not so much for restricting users as keeping the channel registraion active. I spend as much time there as I am able, but that is not a perfect situation. Daniel15 and I are working on the bot's configs when we are able, but all of you must understand that the duties and (any) services we provide are 100% Free, and we are all volunteer workers.

Please have patience.
rvec
Vrythramax wrote:
Well I have been put in my place. The ned for the channlbot is not so much for restricting users as keeping the channel registraion active. I spend as much time there as I am able, but that is not a perfect situation. Daniel15 and I are working on the bot's configs when we are able, but all of you must understand that the duties and (any) services we provide are 100% Free, and we are all volunteer workers.

Please have patience.

I understand you and daniel are working on the bot as much as you can. But please remove the protection script untill it's modified to suit the needs of the channel.

I made a mistake and joined the channel twice, just got a permaban.
Vrythramax
You are not banned either by the bot or in the channel bans Rvec, I just checked.
rvec
i was. And i think Hammy knows who unbanned me.

Edit:
kick: (Rvec) was kicked by (FrihBot2) (Advertising detected. (* #*) :: [Mon Jul 16 09:47:30 2007] - Banned 15 minutes ·79·)

Banned in #frih for saying #frih

No spare time to waste on the bot doesn't mean you can just put some unfinished bot in the channel. I prefer no bot at all.
Vrythramax
rvec wrote:
i was. And i think Hammy knows who unbanned me.

Edit:
kick: (Rvec) was kicked by (FrihBot2) (Advertising detected. (* #*) :: [Mon Jul 16 09:47:30 2007] - Banned 15 minutes ·79·)

Banned in #frih for saying #frih

No spare time to waste on the bot doesn't mean you can just put some unfinished bot in the channel. I prefer no bot at all.

My apologies for you dis-satisfaction with the volunteer staff. Maybe some should take more responsibility when it is offered to them instead of of simply complaining about how it's being done now.
rvec
Quote:
My apologies for you dis-satisfaction with the volunteer staff. Maybe some should take more responsibility when it is offered to them instead of of simply complaining about how it's being done now.

I can make a better bot if you want me to. I can have a better bot up and running in one day. I just don't want to be an op if you keep telling me I am not active enough to be one. I you promise me to stop that I am willing to try again.
Mr_CEO
??? What does all this stuff mean???

Quote:
-
-
-
-
-
-
Arnie
Your firewall or router is blocking the identd and apparently DALnet had some bad experience with people from your ISP/region, because they won't let you in without it. I think if you forward port 113 to the machine you're IRCing from, it'll be fine.
rvec
Quote from the site in the messages you got:
Quote:
If you have difficulties connecting to DALnet because you cannot run ident and the message you receive whne you are disconnected is K-LINED (as opposed to autokilled), try using another server.

you are trying to connect to rumble.fl.us.dal.net
try swiftco.wa.us.dal.net or some other dalnet server instead.
Vrythramax
Actually I believe that AKILL is in response to a backdoor virus that has been spreading thru dal's network. Dalnet has explained this on their Services website.

It wasn't a K-LINE response, but rather an AKILL.....big difference.
hack_man_
Just had an idea for the new template, why not put in a shoutbox-like window into the frihost irc Channel? Like an IRAME into the web-chat?
Ghost Rider103
I don't have any problem with the bot at all. I've been kicked one or twice for "Spamming" while trying to give Max a few links. I got kicked, but it's not the end of the IRC chat.

Just think of the future of what could happen if the bot was not there. We could have some moron join or channel, and just spam it for hours, and there wont be any ops around to ban him, then you will all be wanting the bot back lol.

So just be careful of what you say in there, and if you are posting quickly in the IRC, just before pressing enter, count to 5, then press enter to avoid getting kicked.

The same thing with re-joining the channel, wait 5 seconds, then re-join.
rvec
hack_man_ wrote:
Just had an idea for the new template, why not put in a shoutbox-like window into the frihost irc Channel? Like an IRAME into the web-chat?

You want a shoutbox, linked to the irc channel on the forum?
If that is what you mean, not possible.
First irc is a chat, not a shoutbox, so it would have to update much more.
Second, I doubt Bondings wants this on the site.

Please use the irc page if you want to join the channel:
or use your own client.
Arnie
LOL the evil bot banned me for doing a /notice ! GG!
Vrythramax
Arnie wrote:
LOL the evil bot banned me for doing a /notice ! GG!

You can /notice any PERSON you wish, yours was a channel notice...big difference. It's usually used for advertising purposes...and the bot only kicked/banned you for a few moments.
Vrythramax
To clear this up there is moderator named Traveller, but is nickname on IRC is Traveller-Frihost.

I apologize for any confusion. _SainT_ thought he was doing the right thing.
Arseniy
And I STILL cannot enter even DalNet net! Stupid IRC...
Firstly I was k-banned and it said to me that I have trojans. I've checked my comp (there really were some viruses but I've deleted it) and connected again.
Now it says that I'm a-banned or a-killed. I have no idea what the heck is that...
Vrythramax
Arseniy wrote:
And I STILL cannot enter even DalNet net! Stupid IRC...
Firstly I was k-banned and it said to me that I have trojans. I've checked my comp (there really were some viruses but I've deleted it) and connected again.
Now it says that I'm a-banned or a-killed. I have no idea what the heck is that...

An AKILL is very differant than a k-line. There ave been a rash of backdoor viruses that attack channel services, an some servers as well. These may or not show on a virus scan.....they could be coded into whatever script you are using to connect.

More information can be found at http://kline.dal.net/
coreymanshack
for some reason i am not able to access the irc channel at the moment
rvec
where you trying the webclient?
Try again, max banned you by mistake. You are already unbanned.
Arseniy
Yesss!!! I can access IRC channel now!
I just needed to delete my ip address from some lists.
coreymanshack
I'm trying to access it using pidgin IRC client. what info is needed to be put in?
rvec
you already where in so you probably don't need that help anymore.
m-productions
Why is dal.net such a pain in the butt.... every time i try to get on....I have to try and connect over 20 times EVERY TIME!!!! it gets old...and fast, one of the reasons I almost never go anymore.
Vrythramax
m-productions wrote:
Why is dal.net such a pain in the butt.... every time i try to get on....I have to try and connect over 20 times EVERY TIME!!!! it gets old...and fast, one of the reasons I almost never go anymore.

If you are using mIRC as your chat program select a specific server instead of the random Dalnet server option.....you will find the result quite different.

(I was wondering where you had gone)
m-productions
im currently using the one thats for FF, (cant think of the name of it) do you know of this as a simaler options ( I wish not to dl another program if I dont have to just yet)

ps: I was on today... but you were away...the pinged out... and noone else was there...so i quite.. and I tried to get back on now... after my 17th try... i said ***k it, and made this post.
Vrythramax
@m-productions

I think your taking about chatzilla and I have never used the program myself, but I will look into it for you.

I'm sorry I missed you when you came in....but even I need to sleep occasionally. Wink
m-productions
Thanks, that would be a great help.... its really getting annyoing having to connect so many times... Iv just been giving up.
ankitdatashn
hello members,

I was going through the forums when I noticed this "IRC" word, I have heard this word many times but I dont know the exact meaning of it, would the senior members be kind and tell me what does "IRC" exactly stand for?

Hope that I receive a reply soon, I myself presume this is somewhat kind of chatting program is it?, I am a computer science student therefore it becomes all the more important to know these techie jargons!!
tidruG
Ankit,
IRC = Internet Relay Chat.
It's a chat protocol, a bit like your online chat room, except that you need an IRC client to handle it for you. The most popular one is mIRC, I believe. IRC is not as popular among some people as Instant Messengers and other online chat rooms because there are a few codes and commands you could learn.

You could just search for more information on wikipedia.
Vrythramax
If you really want to get into the history of of "Instant Messenging", it all started with IRC (Internet Relay Chat) which is an acceptable, and recognized protocal (just like http, https or ftp) on the Internet.

Their are many who still prefer this form of communication....and it can be beneficial to learn. Smile

I personally hope to see you there, there are many users, forum mods, and channel ops to help you anyway they can. It can be a very friendly place. Smile
Fariza
can some one tell me how to get irc? like what do i download and stuff.
rvec
You can download mirc on http://www.mirc.com and then open this link: irc://irc.dal.net/FriHost/
you can also use http://www.bierkip.nl/cgiirc but for some reason this is real slow i am still working on that

you can also use some other irc client. Search google for irc client for more clients.

If the link above is not working in your client type this text:
Code:
/server irc.dal.net:6666

wait till you get some text telling you are connected. then type:
Code:
/join #frihost

More help can be given in the channel (changing nick and some other functions).

If your client asks for a server type: irc.dal.net or search for DalNet in a list.
If your client asks for a channel type: #frihost
If your client asks for a nick please use your forum nick if possible.
rvec
my CGI:IRC webclient hasn't been working for the last few weeks so i'll ban every IP. Nobody can login at this moment and I am working on something else. For now everyone should download mirc or try to find some other cgi:irc client on the web. Downloading mirc would probably be easier.

Edit: and we have some other changes that probably will be announced by vrythramax (no copy paste so probably with a typo). For those not wanting to wait for that join the channel.

Edit 2: The announcement:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-80086.html
rightclickscott
Sorry I haven't been on the IRC in awhile. I just haven't opened my IRC program in the least lately. Been having a few issues at home. I may make my big return later.
rvec
better make it big, we missed you
damn
cool, i go right now to install to irc client...
Vrythramax
damn wrote:
cool, i go right now to install to irc client...

You will be welcomed with open arms....you will find we joke around alot....but we try to have a little fun and we provide real-time support on issues.

We hope to see you soon. Smile
Daniel15
How's the IRC channel going, guys? I haven't been in there for *ages* (I haven't been here in ages either Surprised)
rvec
Max has some trouble with his pc so he has not been in there for a couple of days (could be back any moment). I haven't got much time except for the weekends. But others are coming in every now and then. You can see the stats on http://www.bierkip.nl/frih . It will show you some statistics about all the channels (official and non-official).
rvec
max will be back in a couple of days. I contacted him and he told me he will try to be back in 4 days. While he was gone we talked over 4000 lines. And max has always been the biggest talker, so it looks like it's going to be active in the channel.
rvec
Frihbot2 left the channel. This means the only stats/logs available are those on http://www.bierkip.nl/frih
I edited the first post with the new links.
divinitywolf
I've only just realised theres a frihost IRC channel.
....where've I been? lol
Well better get IRCing soon
ankitdatashn
Thanks sir for the reply, then do we also get points for posting in that chatting client as I was confused with the word "official"

or it is just forcasual chatting between frihost members?
rvec
The official means frihost owns the channel and is responsible for the channel to a certain degree. It also means the ToS applies besides the channel rules.

You will not earn frih$ or points for speaking/idling in the channel, maybe in the future but since Bondings has no experience with IRC it would take some time to implement that, and because soon on frihost is the same as 2 years in real life i doubt we will ever see that happen Razz
chemical-music
Yes very good this thing
Arnie
rvec wrote:
You will not earn frih$ or points for speaking/idling in the channel, maybe in the future
The day we get points for idling in the channel, I will be on it 24/7 (and never talk) Wink
rvec
the day we will get points/frih$ for idling on the channel the bot will get an extra script (kick idle users)Wink
which would of course have to exclude the mods Very Happy
Arnie
rvec wrote:
the day we will get points/frih$ for idling on the channel the bot will get an extra script Wink
which would ofcourse have to exclude the mods Very Happy

An additional script would indeed be required... to count the massive amount of points I'm earning Mr. Green

Edit: LOL, nice stealthy edit! I'd enable autojoin...
rvec
*doubts if he should also edit arnie's post*

what edit? Confused And banning isn't that much harder Razz

You'll maybe get points for speaking in the channel if we can put advertisement in the channel. But since that's not allowed on most networks we'd have to start our own server. Max and I have already thought about it and we think we could handle that but we still need someone to donate some money or a server. Anyone wanting to donate can pm me or max when he's back. I have a dutch bank account and a paypall account open for donations.
Arnie
rvec wrote:
what edit? Confused And banning isn't that much harder Razz
Quote:
Laatst aangepast door rvec op Ma Nov 12, 2007 6:52 pm, in totaal 1 keer bewerkt
Wink

Try the IRC network Lostmoment, there doesn't seem to be an anti-advertisement rule. I used to be sort of a regular there, they may remember me Very Happy Oh and Da-Huntha is a Dutch admin.
rvec
Quote:
There are 11 users and 17 invisible on 5 servers

Shocked 5 servers for 28 users
*takes a look at the forum*
I somehow prefer dal.net, just a feeling.
Arnie
But you cannot advertize there, can you? Wink Another advantage of LM is that hardly any nicks are taken, so you could demand users to use their Frihost forum nickname for simplified connection to the points system.
rvec
We have to wait for max if we want to make any such big changes, but I think we'll stay on dalnet until we have something like an advertising system. I have no idea how we would get advertisement to the bot.
Daniel15
Quote:
but I think we'll stay on dalnet

Yeah, DALNet is quite good Smile

I use VillageIRC a lot (I know one of the IRCOps there), although they don't allow bots by default (you need to request permission).
Vrythramax
I prefer Dalnet for many reasons, not the least of which is that I used to work there. If the channels REALLY start showing growth and there is a serious interest in IRC amoungst the users I will certainly consider moving to another network.

The main thing to consider here is Dal is an established network, alot of the newer ones may not last. Dal has been aroung a very long time...and I don't see it dying anytime soon.
UtanCecilie
I know where the party is at! Everybody should come to #frihost and share the fun... Toch?
Vrythramax
Just a reminder...when joining any of the Frihost channels please try to use your forum nickname if possible. By doing this you can ask questions and even if I, or one of the other channel operators are not available. This way we can still PM you on the forums with an answer to your questions. Many time it appears that one or more channel operators are there (they are the ones with the @ symbol before thier names in the nicklist) they may either be busy with something else, away from the keyboard, or just logging the channel.

If by chance your nickname is unavailable for you to use, and nobody is really available in the channel(s) please tell us your forum nickname along with your question(s) so we can contact you through the forums. Both Rvec and myself read through the logs and rest assured one of us will contact you upon our return.

I know I can speak for the rest of the staff when I say we are looking forward to the new year, and we all hope you will help us is making the popularity of our IRC channels grow. Smile

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from the Frihost IRC Staff.
Arnie
UtanCecilie wrote:
Toch?
Inderdaad?

Merry Christmas to you too Max, and good luck reviewing all the IRC logs for potential questions. By the way, you're still not going to send those 14GB Colorado DAT tapes to me? Wink
Vrythramax
Arnie wrote:
Merry Christmas to you too Max, and good luck reviewing all the IRC logs for potential questions. By the way, you're still not going to send those 14GB Colorado DAT tapes to me? Wink

Merry Christmas Arnie! We don't review the entire logfile, I only review what happened while I was away...saves alot of time, and you would believe what I see when I read them Smile

And no, I'm not sending you those DAT tapes Razz
Vrythramax
A little bump here, The channel #frihost-games has many very cool games and text-art is allowed...as long as it doesn't flood the channel.

The most popular game is !triviant...it's a trivia game that you earn points scores (I have the most points Cool ) so why not stop by and blow off some steam...the converstaions are hilarious! Game help is available from any operator and the gamebot itself...so come on by....you can idle and watch, participate...or just laff at those of us who make fools of ourselves!

BTW...this makes my 3900th post....I just burn to join Blaster's 4000 club! Drool Pray
rvec
I am sorry but I was just planning on installing debian on my server instead of ubuntu. I gave myself one week to do this. In the mean time my bots will all be offline, not stats will be made and nothing will be logged by the bots. I will still be in but might be a bit less active.

On this server also my site (bierkip.nl) was hosted, so every url with bierkip.nl in it will not work (stats, applet, logs, maybe some pics or other things I hosted).
rvec
sry Embarassed
was planning on telling on irc first but it wasn't really planned.
Arnie
You're replacing Unbuntu with Debian? Very Happy
Code:
* Rvec wins 17 internets
m-productions
Danigt... after 2 months of being away, i try to login to the IRC... but I get the same old errors i use to get (see a few pages back) so... ill try to join you guys soon again =(
Vrythramax
m-productions wrote:
Danigt... after 2 months of being away, i try to login to the IRC... but I get the same old errors i use to get (see a few pages back) so... ill try to join you guys soon again =(

it's very simple, first take the panda off that poor girls face and download mIRC, add your personal info before connecting, then connect to any random dalnet server....once connected type /join #frihost

some people never sleep there....then again some never speak either....which is fine....they may not have much of value to say in the first place. Rest assured if you type anything in the channel....somebody WILL get back to you. I am there almost 24/7, either live or logging, Rvec is there even more than I am....just between us I can pretty much gaurentee (sp?) ANY IRC question will be answered quickly and efficiently.
m-productions
Man IRC was WEEIIRRDD last night... The bot would give op to 2 people (dont remeber who) then the server would remove it...all right away..the screen just SPAMED with gain ops, lose ops.. I had to leave it cuase it was cuasing so much lag for me... =(
rvec
yeah that was the 9th, the problem is solved now. The bot gave ops to me and Bock.
rvec
I changed some things and made a mod_rewrite rule so you can use the signature on the forum. This changed so much about how to use it that I decided to rewrite the post.

http://www.bierkip.nl/frih/img/rvec/2/-1/.png
This is the normal link. You can replace rvec by your own nick, 2 by a skin number (1 or 2 atm) and -1 by your timezone (GMT = 0).

There is no support for wildcards anymore, but if you use the nick 'all' you'll get the same as you did by using the % only. You'll get the last lines in the channel (all nicks) and the first char of each nick will be displayed in front of each line. Instead of the status you'll see how many members there are online at this moment.

Timezones can only be full numbers (not 5.5).

Tobias made the background of skin 1. If anyone would want to make another background I'll add it as skin 3.

edit: added .png to the end of the link to make it work Razz
Daniel15
m-productions wrote:
Man IRC was WEEIIRRDD last night... The bot would give op to 2 people (dont remeber who) then the server would remove it...all right away..the screen just SPAMED with gain ops, lose ops.. I had to leave it cuase it was cuasing so much lag for me... =(

Haha, we had the same problem a while back... Razz

rvec wrote:
I changed some things and made a mod_rewrite rule so you can use the signature on the forum. This changed so much about how to use it that I decided to rewrite the post.

http://www.bierkip.nl/frih/img/rvec/2/-1/.png
This is the normal link. You can replace rvec by your own nick, 2 by a skin number (1 or 2 atm) and -1 by your timezone (GMT = 0)

Nice work on that! Very Happy
rvec
The very same luke that is redesigning frihost also redesigned the irc page. Take a look and tell him what you think of it on irc Smile
http://www.bierkip.nl/frih/
m-productions
very nice, i wish hed make that same color scheme for what hes working on for frihost.
alalex
Hi everyone, I've created a php script to interact with the IRC channel, you can check out the article in this blog:
http://urbanoalvarez.es/blog/2008/03/18/creating-an-irc-bot-in-php-from-scratch/

And this is the demo page, to test it out:
http://urbanoalvarez.es/chat_bot/demo.php

I posted a little while ago two messages to test it, "hello there", and "I'm a bot". Then I was kicked out for a ping timeout, it is still two slow Wink

If anyone finds it interesting, or want to improve it feel free Very Happy
Vrythramax
alalex wrote:
Hi everyone, I've created a php script to interact with the IRC channel, you can check out the article in this blog:
http://urbanoalvarez.es/blog/2008/03/18/creating-an-irc-bot-in-php-from-scratch/

And this is the demo page, to test it out:
http://urbanoalvarez.es/chat_bot/demo.php

I posted a little while ago two messages to test it, "hello there", and "I'm a bot". Then I was kicked out for a ping timeout, it is still two slow Wink

If anyone finds it interesting, or want to improve it feel free Very Happy

Looks like a cool script, but we currently have enough channel bots in the Frihost channels, but your script could certainly be a good thing for your own channels. I would suggest checking with the server/network you are using it on to make sure it is even allowed. Wink
Hammy
Quote:
05:35:22… You were kicked from #frihost by Vrythramax (Rules infractions, lurking & logging)

May I ask.. What did i do wrong this time? ..
I've been banned for 2 days now.. again.. i didnt even say anything, and Rvec is too scared to unban me =/
Vrythramax
Hammy wrote:
Quote:
05:35:22… You were kicked from #frihost by Vrythramax (Rules infractions, lurking & logging)

May I ask.. What did i do wrong this time? ..
I've been banned for 2 days now.. again.. i didnt even say anything, and Rvec is too scared to unban me =/

Your ban has been lifted.
Vrythramax
I'd like to take this opportunity to welcome This-Alex (he's known by many nicknames around here) to the IRC Staff of the #frihost channel.

I trust you will find, much as I have, that Alex will be a helpful & productive member of our small community, and we can all benefit from his experience.

Welcome Aboard Alex!

Max

P.S. This is my *4000th Post*!
Manofgames
Thanks for opping me, I'll do my best!
And congratulations on the 4k Smile

Alex
taytay
cool ^_^
Vrythramax
This is to officially meant to dispell any rumours of Frihost starting an IRC Network. There is currently no officially sanctioned proposals for a new network. Nor are there any plans, that I personally know of, of Frihost delving into the chat arena.

Some members, and some staff, are currently putting together a small network, but as I stated....it is NOT officially santioned. This work (and it is work), is being done by people volunteering thier time and efforts....and they should be congratulated. Try making a new network someday....not as easy as it sounds.

When, and if, this situation changes, it will be posted, rules may need changing, etc., this will all be readily available information.

Max.

EDIT: I would also like to point out that our channel is not there for testing new bots, scripts, addons, etc., you can freely create your own channel for such purposes. There are only 2 official bots, Frihbot and gamebot in our games channel.

ANY OTHERS WILL BE KICKED AND/OR BANNED FROM THE CHANNEL(S).

*Note: this is in compliance with the Official Frihost IRC Rules, and does not reflect any one person(s) desires, or requests.*
Arnie
What rumours? This is the first time I've read any of that on the forums. But good luck anyway.
elmariohusha
Sounds Good
is it active?
tidruG
YEs it is.
mathiaus
I'm on at times. Thats when it's at it's most sarcastic Razz
rvec
I am active almost every day (as Rvec or Yaron), just like vrythramax and Manofgames/This-Alex.

To see how active we are you can take a look at our stats: http://www.bierkip.nl/frih/frihost.html
Manofgames
Or you could watch Yaron's sig Wink
mathiaus
Manofgames wrote:

Careful, you'll confuse someone!

...rvec's sig!
rvec
Manofgames wrote:

That isn't always up to date. The mysql stats tend to stop working after a netsplit or after the bot reconnects. I do rehash the bot when I notice and it always works after that, but only the txt-stats are really accurate (but it's one big txt file).
Manofgames
For anyone who can't access the Frihost IRC channel for some reason, try using Mibbit. It's a very handy (FREE) web based irc client which lets you connect to a selection of IRC networks (Dalnet included Smile )

Click here to connect directly to the frihost channel!
Vrythramax
Frihost's IRC is certainly active, and not going anywhere. I have been lacking in my Forum duties as I have been spending too much time attempting (with others) to get, and keep, it running and providing a pleasant atmosphere.

Both are soon to change, my first duty is to Frihost, the irc staff will continue in a mannor which befits Frihost and is helpful to any and all users.
Vrythramax
As per a suggestion from another IRC staff member, I will not be posting in the #frihost channel for an undetermined amount of time.

I will however remain in channel the channel for logging purposes.
rvec
Vrythramax wrote:
another IRC staff member

Embarassed I was joking Embarassed

I didn't mean you should stop being active in the channel.

Edit by Vrythramax....FREEDOM!
dawidplet
Good idea, I'll try to get on there soon!
vvforgs
WEll its nice to see that you choose dalnet . I don't feel much easy with efnet or undernet. Well nice to see frihost going on irc as well.
rvec
Our first perm-ban has been handed out. HalfBloodPrince got a Permanent ban for trying to take over the channel, impersonating other users, flooding and spamming. There will be no actions on the forums against him about this.

Here is the log of his take-over attempt and the impersonating other users.
http://www.bierkip.nl/logs/2008-7-27.htm <-- starting at 5:30

For the spam search for "google-websearch" on these logs:
http://www.bierkip.nl/logs/2008-7-21.htm

as for the flooding, the bot kicked him a lot of times for that.
zellfaze
I very much disagree with this ban. I would like to take the time now to state my reasons why on the forums, where other members can see them, and perhaps speak up too if they agree with me.

Lets see the charges?
Rvec wrote:
trying to take over the channel, impersonating other users, flooding and spamming

Lets start with the Spamming.
Spam rules are put in place because some people do not like spam, there are numerous reasons people do not like spam (it chews up space, it is annoying to read, it has no purpose) but the reasons are not important here. What is important is that there was no people on the Channel. If spam rules are put in place because Spam annoys people, but there were no people, then what is wrong with spam?

Next Flooding.
Flooding too is only put in place because People do not like to read it therefore, since there was no people in the Channel this charge also has no real merit. See explanation above for more detail. (As a side note, even I have been kicked from #frihost for flooding)

Next Charge Impersonating other users.
First let me quote from the logs one of the first instances of this (the logs are available at http://www.bierkip.nl/logs/2008-7-27.htm if you want to read them yourself)
The logs wrote:
[05:54:28] <Rvec> heh, i am Rvec
[05:54:47] <Rvec> gah! i can't change my name back!
[05:54:52] <Rvec> i am permanently Rvec now!
[05:54:54] <Rvec> NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
[05:55:15] Rvec (~dragon_fl@CPE001e58edad58-CM001225007afa.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com) is now known as HBP
[05:55:18] <HBP> YAYAYAYAYAYAY!

Does that look like Impersonating a user, or trying to have a good time. To me it doesnt even look like he wanted to be Rvec, he tried and successfully did switch back.

Final Charge trying to take over the Channel.
This seems to be the most serious of the charges, But I think it was done out of fun.
The Logs wrote:
[07:21:17] <HBP> FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKK
[07:21:20] <HBP> Very Happy
[07:21:31] <HBP> warez warez warez
[07:21:36] <HBP> torrents torrents torrents
[07:21:39] <HBP> Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
[07:21:53] * HBP hopes someone reads teh logs
[07:28:29] <HBP> !opme
[08:37:53] <HBP> sleeeeepy
[08:38:01] <HBP> g'night folks ^_^

That look like a hostile take over to you? To me it looks like he tried to have a good time.

I have done this on my own accord after having been banned from sites before for trying to have fun. If anyone is to get in trouble for this post, let it be me. I will gladly accept any punishment thrown my way for this post.

Thank you,
Zell Faze
rvec
zellfaze wrote:
I very much disagree with this ban. I would like to take the time now to state my reasons why on the forums, where other members can see them, and perhaps speak up too if they agree with me.

Lets see the charges?
Rvec wrote:
trying to take over the channel, impersonating other users, flooding and spamming

Lets start with the Spamming.
Spam rules are put in place because some people do not like spam, there are numerous reasons people do not like spam (it chews up space, it is annoying to read, it has no purpose) but the reasons are not important here. What is important is that there was no people on the Channel. If spam rules are put in place because Spam annoys people, but there were no people, then what is wrong with spam?

because he was promoting his website, in the chat (people where in, at least idling), in the stats and in the logs (all indexed by google). And we don't want that happening in the chat.
Quote:

Next Flooding.
Flooding too is only put in place because People do not like to read it therefore, since there was no people in the Channel this charge also has no real merit. See explanation above for more detail. (As a side note, even I have been kicked from #frihost for flooding)

kicked for flooding by the bot is not done that fast, and although most users have probably been kicked a couple of times HBP has been kicked a lot more than the average user. And besides those kicks (which are warnings by themselves) he has also been kicked by staff members for flooding.
Quote:

Next Charge Impersonating other users.
First let me quote from the logs one of the first instances of this (the logs are available at http://www.bierkip.nl/logs/2008-7-27.htm if you want to read them yourself)
The logs wrote:
[05:54:47] <Rvec> gah! i can't change my name back!
[05:54:52] <Rvec> i am permanently Rvec now!
[05:54:54] <Rvec> NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
[05:55:15] Rvec (~dragon_fl@CPE001e58edad58-CM001225007afa.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com) is now known as HBP
[05:55:18] <HBP> YAYAYAYAYAYAY!

Does that look like Impersonating a user, or trying to have a good time. To me it doesnt even look like he wanted to be Rvec, he tried and successfully did switch back.

He did do the command to change his nick, got a msg from nickserv that he should change his nick or it should be changed for him, and there was no way he wouldn't be able to change it back. Also you forgot to paste the part where he changed his nick to Helios (2 lines above that) and the lines where he tried to make the bot op him as if he was me or helios.
Quote:

Final Charge trying to take over the Channel.
This seems to be the most serious of the charges, But I think it was done out of fun.
The Logs wrote:
[07:21:17] <HBP> FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKK
[07:21:20] <HBP> Very Happy
[07:21:31] <HBP> warez warez warez
[07:21:36] <HBP> torrents torrents torrents
[07:21:39] <HBP> Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
[07:21:53] * HBP hopes someone reads teh logs
[07:28:29] <HBP> !opme
[08:37:53] <HBP> sleeeeepy
[08:38:01] <HBP> g'night folks ^_^

That look like a hostile take over to you? To me it looks like he tried to have a good time.

You again forgot to paste the lines where he tried to make the bot think he was a staff member and tried to make the bot op him.
Quote:

I have done this on my own accord after having been banned from sites before for trying to have fun. If anyone is to get in trouble for this post, let it be me. I will gladly accept any punishment thrown my way for this post.

hmm, I'll think of something Razz
Quote:

Thank you,
Zell Faze
Ghost Rider103
I actually disagree with Rvec's decision as well. It did seem to me as he was just trying to have fun as well. Though some of your information is a little incorrect.

Where Rvec thought he was trying to take over the channel, this is where he thought it was taking place:

Code:
HBP (~dragon_fl@CPE001e58edad58-CM001225007afa.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com) is now known as Helios
[05:53:07] <Helios> !opme
[05:53:09] <Helios> damn.
[05:53:13] Helios (~dragon_fl@CPE001e58edad58-CM001225007afa.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com) is now known as HBP
[05:53:19] HBP (~dragon_fl@CPE001e58edad58-CM001225007afa.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com) is now known as Hellios
[05:53:21] <Hellios> !opme
[05:53:24] <Hellios> damn again
[05:53:27] Hellios (~dragon_fl@CPE001e58edad58-CM001225007afa.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com) is now known as Rvec
[05:53:30] <Rvec> !opme
[05:54:01] Rvec (dragon_fl@CPE001e58edad58-CM001225007afa.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com) left #frihost
[05:54:23] Rvec (~dragon_fl@CPE001e58edad58-CM001225007afa.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com) joined #frihost

As you can see, he not only impersonated Rvec, but as well as Hellios. Which is where he tried to give himself ops. Which is why they think he was trying to take over the channel. Which I am sure he was indeed trying to get ops, but if he succeeded in getting ops, I highly disagree he would have vandalized the channel in any way (except maybe kick me Razz)

Anyways, as this was obviously done for fun, if HBP (HalfBloodPrince) has to suffer of a perm ban for doing this exact thing, then I believe Hellios, as well as Tobias BOTH deserve a ban.

Though Hellios is indeed a staff member of Frihost, and the IRC channel, he has abused his staff powers many time on the IRC. Hellios and Tobias both teamed up, and actually SUCCEEDED in taking over the Frihost channel. Hellios oped Tobias, kicked out Max, Rvec, and the Frihbot.

Hellios has also kicked out people many times for pretty much no reason, which I understand is sometimes being playful, however HBP in this situation was also being very playful, despite all the warnings beforehand.

I myself have also received a ban from Hellios. Hellios was asking me why I had kicked someone before on the IRC channel, (Which I do not remember why or how, it was probably me and Max fooling around), and Hellios banned me because I wouldn't tell him why. He banned me banned me, so I actually could not get back in the channel, until I talked to Rvec and gotten things straightened out.

Rvec also told me that I was banned for having warnings from making jokes about other users, however the only time I recall getting a warning for this was when Hellios PM'ed me on the IRC telling me to stop calling Tobias "Tuby" because he did not like it, and I listened no problem.

As you can see, these Op powers are sometimes abused, though many times it is in a playful manner, and is acceptable.

If HBP is indeed going to keep his permanent ban, then I believe Hellios and Tobias also deserve one, as they have done the exact same thing, but worse by actually succeeding.

This is in no way directed at anybody personally, I am simply just giving in my opinion. I don't have any problems with anyone on the IRC channel, and Rvec if you decide you are keeping his ban, well then I won't think of you any different, and will still enjoy all my time in the Frihost channel..
rvec
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
I actually disagree with Rvec's decision as well. It did seem to me as he was just trying to have fun as well. Though some of your information is a little incorrect.

Where Rvec thought he was trying to take over the channel, this is where he thought it was taking place:

Code:
HBP (~dragon_fl@CPE001e58edad58-CM001225007afa.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com) is now known as Helios
[05:53:07] <Helios> !opme
[05:53:09] <Helios> damn.
[05:53:13] Helios (~dragon_fl@CPE001e58edad58-CM001225007afa.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com) is now known as HBP
[05:53:19] HBP (~dragon_fl@CPE001e58edad58-CM001225007afa.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com) is now known as Hellios
[05:53:21] <Hellios> !opme
[05:53:24] <Hellios> damn again
[05:53:27] Hellios (~dragon_fl@CPE001e58edad58-CM001225007afa.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com) is now known as Rvec
[05:53:30] <Rvec> !opme
[05:54:01] Rvec (dragon_fl@CPE001e58edad58-CM001225007afa.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com) left #frihost
[05:54:23] Rvec (~dragon_fl@CPE001e58edad58-CM001225007afa.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com) joined #frihost

As you can see, he not only impersonated Rvec, but as well as Hellios. Which is where he tried to give himself ops. Which is why they think he was trying to take over the channel. Which I am sure he was indeed trying to get ops, but if he succeeded in getting ops, I highly disagree he would have vandalized the channel in any way (except maybe kick me Razz)

It doesn't matter what he would've done cause we'll never know. What does matter is that he seriously tried to get ops, and thus take over the channel.
Quote:

Anyways, as this was obviously done for fun, if HBP (HalfBloodPrince) has to suffer of a perm ban for doing this exact thing, then I believe Hellios, as well as Tobias BOTH deserve a ban.

That was with vrythramax in the channel. He has founder access and could put everything back in a couple of sec. Now he is gone for a while so we have to enforce the rules a bit more. Vrythramax decided at that time that they both didn't deserve a ban, I never knew what exactly happened until a couple of days later when vrythramax already cleaned up and spoke with everyone. This time I found out the next morning, and I decided a ban was the only option since HPB didn't want to listen to warnings, kicks or non-permanent bans.
Quote:

Though Hellios is indeed a staff member of Frihost, and the IRC channel, he has abused his staff powers many time on the IRC. Hellios and Tobias both teamed up, and actually SUCCEEDED in taking over the Frihost channel. Hellios oped Tobias, kicked out Max, Rvec, and the Frihbot.

Hellios has also kicked out people many times for pretty much no reason, which I understand is sometimes being playful, however HBP in this situation was also being very playful, despite all the warnings beforehand.

I myself have also received a ban from Hellios. Hellios was asking me why I had kicked someone before on the IRC channel, (Which I do not remember why or how, it was probably me and Max fooling around), and Hellios banned me because I wouldn't tell him why. He banned me banned me, so I actually could not get back in the channel, until I talked to Rvec and gotten things straightened out.

I already explained that in a private chat. It was a misunderstanding, and partly the things you type under here.
Quote:

Rvec also told me that I was banned for having warnings from making jokes about other users, however the only time I recall getting a warning for this was when Hellios PM'ed me on the IRC telling me to stop calling Tobias "Tuby" because he did not like it, and I listened no problem.

As you can see, these Op powers are sometimes abused, though many times it is in a playful manner, and is acceptable.

To a certain extend, and mostly on other ops or as a first and playful warning. If it is without any reason the op can probably think of one if you ask Razz

No kidding, we really are creative with reasons.
Quote:

If HBP is indeed going to keep his permanent ban, then I believe Hellios and Tobias also deserve one, as they have done the exact same thing, but worse by actually succeeding.

So HBP did a lesser crime because I made the bot so good Smile
Quote:

This is in no way directed at anybody personally, I am simply just giving in my opinion. I don't have any problems with anyone on the IRC channel, and Rvec if you decide you are keeping his ban, well then I won't think of you any different, and will still enjoy all my time in the Frihost channel..

good, else I'd of course remove it Cool

edit: I mixed up the quote tags
HalfBloodPrince
Code:
[00:58] *** HeliosMod (~Hellios@bzq-84-109-115-213.red.bezeqint.net) has joined #frihost
[00:58] *** ChanServ sets mode: +o HeliosMod
[00:58] *** Hellios sets mode: +o Tobias
[00:58] *** Hellios sets mode: +b Vrythramax!*@*
[00:58] *** Hellios sets mode: +b Frihbot!*@*
[00:58] *** Hellios sets mode: +b Yaron!*@*
[00:58] *** Hellios sets mode: +l 6
[00:58] *** Hellios sets mode: +k soz
[00:58] *** Hellios sets mode: +i
[00:58] *** Frihbot was kicked by Hellios (Hellios)
[01:15] *** Frihbot (~Frihbot@h8922075221.dsl.speedlinq.nl) has joined #frihost
[01:15] *** Frihbot was kicked by Tobias (Tobias)

Obviously that is nothing compared to what I have done.
rvec
@HBP
oh at least he's getting involved himself now. Maybe you should pm me on irc (/msg rvec or /msg Yaron) cause I will under no circumstance unban you if you don't.

How do I know you wheren't planning on doing the exact same thing better? And how do I know you'll not try it again after you learned something new about irc?

Also I don't know how max handled that, he might've banned them for a while, but he might've also given them a warning. I do know he removed helios from the ops list for a while.

Quote:

No obviously not. You've already gotten a lot of warnings in the form of pms, kicks and bans and you don't listen to them. Then you try to take over the channel, while the founder is away for a while.
zellfaze
rvec wrote:
@HBP
oh at least he's getting involved himself now. Maybe you should pm me on irc (/msg rvec or /msg Yaron) cause I will under no circumstance unban you if you don't.

How do I know you wheren't planning on doing the exact same thing better? And how do I know you'll not try it again after you learned something new about irc?

Also I don't know how max handled that, he might've banned them for a while, but he might've also given them a warning. I do know he removed helios from the ops list for a while.

Quote:

No obviously not. You've already gotten a lot of warnings in the form of pms, kicks and bans and you don't listen to them. Then you try to take over the channel, while the founder is away for a while.

You should know HBP better than to think he would try again. Not only that, but as it has been said. It was all in fun!
rvec
the problem is that he still thought it was fun after all the warnings. He just ignored them all. If this was the only thing he did he'd just get a warning and we're done, but because of all the warnings and then trying to take over the channel I couldn't just give him another warning.
Helios
HalfBloodPrince, there are two reasons why I did that. Even three, but the third one you shouldn't know about because it doesn't concern you.
First reason: I was going away for a while. Think of it as a going-away-party-joke.
Second reason: I was tired of the staff kicking/banning phenomenon that was going on: Max/Me/Rvec banning Max/me/Rvec (but not ourselves). I also like using harsh ways to get the message passed... and it works.

Anyway, Rvec explained why you have been banned.
zellfaze
Ladies and Gentleman the second ban ever on the #frihost channel has been handed out! Zellfaze (thats me) has been banned from #frihost for pulling a prank involving myself, my IRC bot, and 3 other users off of 3 other channels. We all sent messages through my bot.

http://www.bierkip.nl/logs/2008-8-6.htm

Here is the log.
rvec
I thought it would be a temporary ban at first, but if you're proud of it I'll make it a permanent ban.
Ghost Rider103
Haha you guys really are taking this thing way too seriously.

Pretty soon your going to have everyone banned from #frihost, and then their wont even be a point in having the IRC channel.

Take a look at your own stats:
http://www.bierkip.nl/frih/frihost.html

You can see everything just dropping like a rock, especially now that I am banned as well.

Scroll down all the way to the bottom, and view your monthly stats. Last month you almost hit a new record, and would have if you didn't ban HBP. Banning HBP caused chat activity with anyone he talked to do disappear. This also made Spartan no longer join the channel, along with Zellfaze. Zellfaze then decided to play a prank on #frihost, so you banned him for it. Now since HBP was no longer in that channel, and I mainly talked to him, Zell, (and Hellios until I got banned the first time, then that ticked me off).

You already had Max disappear, now by just banned HBP you lost all activity between anyone who talked to him, Zell, Spartan, and now me.

You guys need to lighten up before you end up banning everyone that visits the IRC channel to the point where only the staff may join the channel. What fun would that be when only Rvec and Hellios are the only ones who even come in there anymore? I suppose you could talk to Frihbot when you get lonely, but if you tried hard enough I'll bet you could think of a reason to ban him too.

I had a great time in #frihost the past years when Max was in their often and had more control of things, but it seems as if Rvec has taken over the channel, and is killing it slowly.

Weather my ban is ever lifted from the IRC room, I don't think I will ever return until Max takes a hold of things again, he did a much better job.
HalfBloodPrince

Is it just me, or are the monthly stats slightly different this month?
rvec
max has some personal stuff he has to take care of before he can come back, that doesn't have anything to do with the channel.

Hellios, I and alex talk more on msn, because we didn't like the channel as much as before. And yes HBP would've made that month a record month, but by far not the best month of the channel.

The reason I was so strict on the rules was, because I didn't have founder permissions and max was gone. So in case anyone took over the channel, I couldn't do anything.

The only reason I am keeping this channel open, is because I want to let max decide if he wants to close the channel.

I just removed all bans, everyone who wants to can join the channel again. I will also become a lot less active on the channel (still idle 24/7 though).

edit: all bans except for ghost, have to talk to some other staff members to decide when we unban him.
Helios
Well after speaking to Rvec, we decided to take the channel a bit more seriously, so:

To those who were / are banned:
I'm sorry guys, but I prefer a less active channel with quality chats and good community, than a channel with one guy who's insulting everybody and disrespecting the operators, other guy who floods the channel posts utter bullcrap and junk-lines in the chat and a third guy who sends bots to the channel to insult the operators. Better to have a slightly empty channel which without such users has the potential to grow, rather than an active channel with crappy chat quality.

Doesn't matter how many users are logged in, you must obey the channel rules and respect the operators. I hope that's not too hard...

What about the operators abusing their power etc? Won't happen from now on, of course.

About Vrythramax, we don't know how long he'll be away. He has some personal issues to deal with.
Therefore Rvec now holds the passwords etc, so address him any technical questions regarding the channel...
rightclickscott
Where the hell did the channel go?
Urban
The channel has been hacked (or something equivalent) :

Code:

(9:46:40 PM) Wumingsden left the room (quit: Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client).
(10:15:42 PM) Frihbot5 [~Frihbot@h8922075221.dsl.speedlinq.nl] entered the room.
(10:16:19 PM) Frihbot5 left the room (quit: A-banned: [AKILL ID:1219025743K-t] [exp/comp] Compromised host, go to http://kline.dal.net/exploits/akills.htm (2008/08/17 19.15)).
(10:16:20 PM) Frihbot left the room (quit: A-banned: [AKILL ID:1219025743K-t] [exp/comp] Compromised host, go to http://kline.dal.net/exploits/akills.htm (2008/08/18 02.15)).
(10:16:20 PM) Rvec left the room (quit: Killed (services2.dal.net (Autokilled: [AKILL ID:1219025743K-t] [exp/comp] Compromised host, go to http://kline.dal.net/exploits/akills.htm [AKILL ID: OS21219025781-103]))).

[Exp/Comp]
Nominal Duration : 3 days to One Week
User Action : Secure your machine and wait for the ban to expire.
Your machine may have been compromised and be advertising it's presence on IRC. Information stored on your PC may be available to unauthorised persons as a result of this security breach. Please check for trojans, viruses and compromised scripts. You can find a freeware trojan scanner from Lockdown Corp. here which may help locate and remove the trojan.
rvec
as urban posted I have been temporarily banned from dalnet, looks like a virus/trojan somehow made it onto one of the pcs here, and I think I know which one (the one that turned on yesterday after it was off for 2 months). I'll try to scan them all and hopefully I'll be back in 3 days.
Helios
^ Holy hell, and I was wondering where you are all day Razz

People, the channel is active.
Nothing to worry about at the moment.
The bot and Rvec will be back soon.
rvec
I scanned all pcs and some really needed a scan, I also mailed dal.net to ask for the logs of the spam. That way I can see at what times something spammed, and maybe narrow it down to one or two pcs. Also I monitored the traffic of the 2 pcs that are on 24/7 and didn't find any irc traffic after turning off the bots and mirc.

Let's hope I solved it.
Urban
vvforgs wrote:
Haha you guys really are taking this thing way too seriously.

Pretty soon your going to have everyone banned from #frihost, and then their wont even be a point in having the IRC channel.

You can see everything just dropping like a rock, especially now that I am banned as well.

Scroll down all the way to the bottom, and view your monthly stats. Last month you almost hit a new record, and would have if you didn't ban HBP. Banning HBP caused chat activity with anyone he talked to do disappear. This also made Spartan no longer join the channel, along with Zellfaze. Zellfaze then decided to play a prank on #frihost, so you banned him for it. Now since HBP was no longer in that channel, and I mainly talked to him, Zell, (and Hellios until I got banned the first time, then that ticked me off).

You already had Max disappear, now by just banned HBP you lost all activity between anyone who talked to him, Zell, Spartan, and now me.

You guys need to lighten up before you end up banning everyone that visits the IRC channel to the point where only the staff may join the channel. What fun would that be when only Rvec and Hellios are the only ones who even come in there anymore? I suppose you could talk to Frihbot when you get lonely, but if you tried hard enough I'll bet you could think of a reason to ban him too.

I had a great time in #frihost the past years when Max was in their often and had more control of things, but it seems as if Rvec has taken over the channel, and is killing it slowly.

Weather my ban is ever lifted from the IRC room, I don't think I will ever return until Max takes a hold of things again, he did a much betterHaha you guys really are taking this thing way too seriously.

Weather my ban is ever lifted from the IRC room, I don't think I will ever return until Max takes a hold of things again, he did a much better job.
job.

Fail much?

Remember that the frihost channel is also a place where you can get support. If someone need help and all he see is a messed up channel (because some people, probably just like you, are having a bit too much fun on it), he will doubt of the skill of Frihost's staff. HBP deserved his ban, I'm sure he would now admit it. For Zell, he decided himself to be banned by insulting Rvec and saying he wouldn't come in the channel if HBP would stay perm-banned. For Spartan and you, I wasn't here so I won't comment but it's probably for the same reasons, the best thing I can suggest you is to calm down and follow the rules, they are not that hard to understand and the admins are fair.

Or maybe it's all a question of maturity, grow up?
rvec
First of all, don't copy paste without using quote tags.

and I'd rather have a channel with one good conversation in it then a couple k of spam lines. Just look at the logs, and you'll see the difference between the conversations with alex, mathiaus, max, hellios,... and HPB, Spartan and whoever they brought in.

edit: I spamcanned the post I am replying to here because it was a copy paste and the user made a lot more.
Arnie
Quote:

job.
ROFL @ that, since a bunch of people left the channel some months ago because they didn't get along with Max. You can see some of my bickering with him in this topic and if you look closely elsewhere on the forums.

Zellface wrote:
Ladies and Gentleman the second ban ever on the #frihost channel has been handed out!
No way, there have been plenty bans by Max in times you weren't around (short and long ones)

Apparently whoever is operator of #frihost takes all the heat. I still think we need a neutral channel clearly stating that it's not officially affiliated to Frihost, e.g. the good old #frih.
Ghost Rider103
Arnie wrote:
Quote:

job.
ROFL @ that, since a bunch of people left the channel some months ago because they didn't get along with Max. You can see some of my bickering with him in this topic and if you look closely elsewhere on the forums.

Zellface wrote:
Ladies and Gentleman the second ban ever on the #frihost channel has been handed out!
No way, there have been plenty bans by Max in times you weren't around (short and long ones)

Apparently whoever is operator of #frihost takes all the heat. I still think we need a neutral channel clearly stating that it's not officially affiliated to Frihost, e.g. the good old #frih.

The only people I recall leaving the Frihost channel because of Max that was actually somewhat active was Hammy. Even though Max is gone, Hammy still hasn't returned, because the guy doesn't even go in his own IRC channel anymore.

I hardly ever seen you in the IRC channel when the channel first started up, and when you were in there, you didn't say much.

The reason why the IRC staff take all the heat is because they are the ones supposed to be running the chat room. They are the ones in charge, so yeah if something goes wrong it will go straight to them, because they are the ones in charge...duh...

What's the point of having two separate IRC channels? One for "official" and one for "unofficial"?

If the one for "official" was just for strictly asking questions about Frihost and things like that, that channel would get nowhere, kind of like it is now.

The "unofficial" channel would get loads more activity, and sure enough things will be brought up in the channel that are supposed to be handled in the "official" channel.

You all need to quit being so picky, it's a chat room, where people chat. It's not like were going to make you loose money, or hurt you by throwing a few spam messages at each other.

Anyways, you can all have fun in your "official" IRC channel, I'll stick to the forums.
Arnie
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
I hardly ever seen you in the IRC channel when the channel first started up, and when you were in there, you didn't say much.
I used to be in the top 10 of the stats. You probably are in another timezone or got active later. See page 2 and 3 of this topic and note the dates.

Ghost Rider103 wrote:
What's the point of having two separate IRC channels? One for "official" and one for "unofficial"?
I opt for only one, "unofficial".
bigt
Sweet!

IRC is great Smile
Xaferrow
the frihost irc cant supported by my JmIRC (Java Mobile IRC) Confused
nolimitcare
i really enjoy the irc channel lets get more peeps in there Wink
ParsaAkbari
This is really great, the first IRC channel that actually worked for me using mIRC client!

I will be in there most of the time, however i predict the channel would be much busier if you gave people with some kind of incentive, frih$ maybe?
rvec
hmm I have frih$. I could give frih$ for the most active users, but most don't really care for frih$.
nolimitcare
i dont even kno what frih$ do! but i'l idle 24 hours a day and chat it up when there's convo lol....
4markie
Awesome! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Arnie
Don't you mean:
Quote:
Awesome!
??
m-productions
I logged on about 2 weeks ago, it seemed pretty dead, I miss the days when it was active (and i was too lol) has it picked up any latley i wouldnt mine jumping by again to say hi.
coreymanshack
I'm in there on occasion now, it's very lonely, noone ever there to talk.
rvec
I'm there from 900-1700 GMT+1 every workday.
In the weekends I could be online at any time.
Alex(Manofgames) is away for a couple of weeks, but when back he'll also join most of the days near 1800GMT.
Tobias is also online a lot, but he doesn't really have times Razz
Last night I also saw zellfaze, and rightclickscott was also online a couple of times in the last week.

Just idle a bit longer than 5 min and you'll eventually find someone.
stel4e
I used to use IRC long time ago, but with Skype's conference chat option I forgot about it.... heheh...maybe I'll join the frihost chanell for fun sometime Wink
Joanne
Quote:
jongoldsz wrote:
That's cool.

He didn't set up a server, the server is dalnet. He made a room on that server for frihost.

Good idea, I'll be joining soon and others should do the same.

DALnet is not a server, it is a NETWORK.
The server/s are those we use/connect to, so we'll be able to join the DALnet Network.

^_^v
Just an FYI =D

Laughing Laughing
coreymanshack
rvec wrote:
I'm there from 900-1700 GMT+1 every workday.
In the weekends I could be online at any time.
Alex(Manofgames) is away for a couple of weeks, but when back he'll also join most of the days near 1800GMT.
Tobias is also online a lot, but he doesn't really have times Razz
Last night I also saw zellfaze, and rightclickscott was also online a couple of times in the last week.

Just idle a bit longer than 5 min and you'll eventually find someone.

wow... alex is manofgames, holy crap. I know that dude and i didn't even realize it.
Vrythramax
Well folks...guess who's back Smile

I have been away for some time and I am still getting things setup here, but rest assured I will be back in the channel very soon to drive people nuts.

I'm looking forward to chatting with everyone, and getting back into the swing of things.

@Rvec

Please have patience with me as I get things in order.
Ghost Rider103
Welcome back Max.

Do you plan on joining the the chat anytime soon? I usually am in there whenever I have my computer on and am working.

Hope to see you back in the chat sometime.
Vrythramax
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Welcome back Max.

Do you plan on joining the the chat anytime soon? I usually am in there whenever I have my computer on and am working.

Hope to see you back in the chat sometime.

Thank you, it's good to be back. I have been going there (the chatroom that is) as much as possible, but I am connecting from work so I don't lurk there for days at a time...for now anyway Wink
Vrythramax
Ghost Rider103 has made up some new banners to help us promote Frihost's IRC channel(s). Feel free to use any or all of them. Just follow the instructions below to add it to your sig.

1. Copy the code from under the graphic you wish to use. Be sure to replace the part that says "YOURSITE" with your website's URL (ex. username.frihost.net)
  2. Right click on the graphic itself and select "Save As" and save it to your hard drive,
  3. Upload the graphic you just saved to your Frihost webspace in the "public_html" directory,
  4. Add the Code to your Sig...and your all set!

Code:
[img]http://YOURSITE/ircbanner1.png[/img]
[size=9][url=http://www.frihost.com/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=21283]© Ghost Rider103[/url][/size]

Code:
[img]http://YOURSITE/ircbanner2.png[/img]
[size=9][url=http://www.frihost.com/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=21283]© Ghost Rider103[/url][/size]

Code:
[img]http://YOURSITE/ircbanner3.png[/img]

Code:
[img]http://YOURSITE/ircbanner4.png[/img]

Code:
[img]http://YOURSITE/ircbanner5.png[/img]

Code:
[img]http://YOURSITE/gh1.jpg[/img]

Code:
[img]http://YOURSITE/gh2.jpg[/img]

Code:
[img]http://YOURSITE/gh3.jpg[/img]

Code:
[img]http://YOURSITE/gh4.jpg[/img]

Code:
[img]http://YOURSITE/gh5.jpg[/img]

Code:
[img]http://YOURSITE/gh6.jpg[/img]

ENJOY!
misha9090
Great!!! I connect later.
noah
Is the room currently working? I tried to log in about an hour ago and couldn't get in the room. It said it didn't exist. #frihost correct?
Vrythramax
it sure does exist, I'm there (I'm connected to punch.va.us.dal.net:6668) and there is another forum mod there, and 3 forum members...besides myself as I write this.
Ghost Rider103
Yes it sure does exist. Make sure you are connected to the dal.net server, otherwise you will not be able to enter the chat room.

When you first start your IRC client, type /server irc.dal.net

Once connected, then type /join #frihost

Hope to see you there.
Vrythramax
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Make sure you are connected to the dal.net server, otherwise you will not be able to enter the chat room.

When you first start your IRC client, type /server irc.dal.net

Once connected, then type /join #frihost

To be more specific, if you don't connect to a dal.net server you won't be able to enter our official chatroom.

Even by chance if you connect to a DAL server during a netsplit (some network services will not work during a split, one of which will be chanserv that controls registered rooms) you could still enter the chatroom #Frihost, but it will not show as being registered. Which is fine because as soon as the split is corrected the channel will update to registered...and all will be well again.
mattit
I made #frihost channel to Quakenet, welcome Smile
Vrythramax
mattit wrote:
I made #frihost channel to Quakenet, welcome Smile

I'd just like to point out that this channel is neither endorsed, nor supported, by the Frihost IRC Staff, or Frihost as a whole.
maaji
thanx Very Happy
Ghost Rider103
Here are a few more IRC Banners:

Code:
[img]http://knrdesigns.com/images/other/ircbanners/colorfulirc.png[/img]

Code:
[img]http://knrdesigns.com/images/other/ircbanners/grungeirc.png[/img]

Code:
[img]http://knrdesigns.com/images/other/ircbanners/vectorirc.png[/img]

These are a little bit bigger than the last ones I designed. These are more for looks. The others I designed a few months ago were really just banner ads. These are still banner ads, however they have a bit more design in them for looks.

Use them as you wish!
Vrythramax
Nice Stuff Ghostrider!! Applause Applause Applause Cool
tuenti_login
thats nice!
ShareVok
Nice work man... Smile
pscompanies
Wow an IRC channel. I hope it's still up. *rushes to download mIRC
coreymanshack
pscompanies wrote:
Wow an IRC channel. I hope it's still up. *rushes to download mIRC

yea it's still up.
Helios
It's up and will probably stay that way for a while. Actually I'm logging in right now.
Vrythramax
I'm afraid I have been remiss in my duties in this area due to some problems on my end...but that's about to change.

My apologies for my prolonged absence. Sad
Ghost Rider103
Hope to see you back in the IRC soon, Max.

Do we have any other developers on Frihost? Would be good if we could get more developers on the IRC and in #frihost.
coreymanshack
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Hope to see you back in the IRC soon, Max.

Do we have any other developers on Frihost? Would be good if we could get more developers on the IRC and in #frihost.

Sometimes i forget about #frihost... I'll join.
Ghost Rider103
Yeah, it can be easy to forget at times. That's why I made a bunch of signatures and stuff for people to help advertise it some.

Hope to see you, and many others in there!
rsnewz
cool
xxmassive
You can easly translate this:

Channel: #frihost

into a link:
irc://dal.net/frihost
Shadowninja7194
I just recelently heard of IRC..so sweet:D
adri
xxmassive wrote:
irc://dal.net/frihost

I don't think that will work what does work however is the link in the first post.

Adri
coreymanshack
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Yeah, it can be easy to forget at times. That's why I made a bunch of signatures and stuff for people to help advertise it some.

I pop in every now and then but only Ankhanu and occasionally Rvec are there.
Ankhanu
Yeah, I'm always connected... but not always paying attention. Say hello and I'll see it sooner or later and respond Wink
Ghost Rider103
coreymanshack wrote:
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

I pop in every now and then but only Ankhanu and occasionally Rvec are there.

I haven't been too active in there recently. I seem to get a lot of connection errors when trying to connect to dal.net.

However everything seems to be good now, so I should be in there more often. I'm usually only in there when I'm working, any other time I'm usually not around.

I'm in there now.
gunkillergun
Dalnet is very good, but people can also setup their OWN servers, I was surprised how cheap home servers cost (best with linux based servers). Then there are limitless scripts/options you can have if you host your own server, but unfortunately, it is VERY difficult to program these scripts. I will be joining that IRC server shortly to chat with you people.
Vrythramax
gunkillergun wrote:
Dalnet is very good, but people can also setup their OWN servers, I was surprised how cheap home servers cost (best with linux based servers). Then there are limitless scripts/options you can have if you host your own server, but unfortunately, it is VERY difficult to program these scripts. I will be joining that IRC server shortly to chat with you people.

Setting up the server isn't as hard as one might think...paying for the bandwidth to keep it online daily...now that's harder. Smile
rvec
setting up a server might take some time, paying for bandwidth is a bit of trouble but since the channel isn't too crowded and all stuff said in the channel is also send to the bot that won't be a big problem neither. It's just that keeping it up requires time. I don't even have enough time to join the channel myself or keep the bot running, so keeping a server running would take far too much time. If Vrythramax or anyone else (preferably someone I trust because he/she would need access to my server) would like to give it a try I; I have a server which you can use, and I could give some help if needed.

I already set up an irc server with services spam protection and multiple bots with vrythramax once, but it died because I never looked at it (or it might still be running).
Ghost Rider103
I'd offer to do so, but I don't know much about any of that stuff so I'd probably be the wrong person for the job.

Do we still have control over the IRC room? Last time I was in there someone else had OP and I couldn't OP myself anymore.

I'm still having issues connecting.... It's something to do with my internet. I'm just waiting until I move then hope the issue will be solved.
Hogwarts
At the moment, Ankhanu is the channel founder because Rvec doesn't want to install mIRC until he finds his serial key for it. Hence, the channel expired some time last month due to the channel founder (Rvec) not logging in. Razz

I imagine Ankhanu will turn it over to Rvec as soon as he's back. Would be nice to get more people in there, though -- maybe a button up on the right side of the "Account" link
Ghost Rider103
That's what I thought happened. Wasn't sure if maybe he had already handed it back over to Rvec.

I'm kind of out of the loop on what's been going on in there. The only way I can log into any IRC server is through my Droid. My cell goes off enough as it is so I don't log on there too much.

Hopefully I can find an alternative to get into the IRC room more often.
Vrythramax
Actually I am the original founder of the channel, and currently still the IRC Admin. Rvec was kind enough to take over the channels for me while I was otherwise engaged.

If the current owner, Ankhanu or whomever, would please contact me I would like to have the channel(s) back under Frihost staff control.

I would also like to point out this post http://www.frihost.com/forums/vp-624710.html#624710 which deals directly with the creation of un-official channels.

and to answer everyone's question....I'M BAAAAAACK!!!
Vrythramax
Due to the kind graces of Ankhanu, the Frihost channel on Dalnet is back under Frihost control and 100% Official (whatever that may mean).

Thanks to Ankhanu for his kindness and cooperation. Applause
rvec
Vrythramax wrote:
Due to the kind graces of Ankhanu, the Frihost channel on Dalnet is back under Frihost control and 100% Official (whatever that may mean).

Thanks to Ankhanu for his kindness and cooperation. Applause

Ankhanu has taken over control of the channel since. This is because no FriHost admin or mod was able to log in to the channel once every 30 days. I think Ankhanu or Tobias should keep control of the channel, since they have proven to be the most active users of the channel for quite some time (think of years). I'll try to be active a bit more (again).
Ghost Rider103
For a while there I was able to be active, as I was able to sign into IRC again.

However I recently reformatted my computer, which led me to another issue signing into IRC and I no longer can anymore, unfortunately.

I can sign on from my cell phone (Droid) so I'm in there once in a while. It kills my battery though, so I try not to too often.
adri
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
For a while there I was able to be active, as I was able to sign into IRC again.

However I recently reformatted my computer, which led me to another issue signing into IRC and I no longer can anymore, unfortunately.

I can sign on from my cell phone (Droid) so I'm in there once in a while. It kills my battery though, so I try not to too often.

You can use the applet of Rvec (in post #1 of this topic), it works for me. :p

adri
Ghost Rider103
Yes, as I stated in the IRC, the applet doesn't work for me either. Every since I've changed my ISP about two years ago I've had issues connecting one in a while.

It seems to sort of be working for me again. Still have some connection issues, but I can pop in once in a while when it lets me connect.

I just wish we could get more people in there and be active somehow!

I miss the days of being able to chat live with fellow frihosters while I'm working.
RotaL
Thank you for the information, I will be sure you join! Smile
Anargh
I never thoguht a web hosting company would have had an IRC Channel Razz
Anyways I will add it to my servers list in mIRC...
u16888
that is good, but I can not access the IRC Channel web address, is it only my problems?
Ankhanu
Yeah, Tobias and I are currently connected, so it is working.
Ghost Rider103
Should still be up and running.

I'll try to pop in there when my connection lets me, however that isn't very often.

Who has ownership to the #frihost channel anyways? Are you still holding it Ankhanu? Last I knew Rvec was supposed to be in charge, but he doesn't seem to ever be there when I come in anymore.

If I were able to get in there consistently I would feel comfortable holding it, but my connection to IRC is always limited to it probably wouldn't do much good till I sort the issue out.
Ankhanu
Yeah, I'm still the owner.
It's pretty much just Adri, you and I that are ever connected... Haven't been able to hand control over to an interested mod :/
Ghost Rider103
Just you and Adri? Doesn't Tobias pop in every now and then anymore?

I'll certainly try to get in there more often. Just need to figure out whats causing my issues with connecting to the IRC. I can't connect to any network, it isn't just irc.dal.net. I've tried multiple IRC programs, I've tried reformatting my computer many times since the issue started.

Other PC's in the house also aren't able to connect, so I think it has something to do with my ISP. I really have no other possibly explanations.
Peterssidan
Ghost Rider, have you checked so that it's not just a fire wall blocking the IRC port?
Ghost Rider103
Yep, I've tried pretty much everything you can think of.

I've turned off all fire walls (this was actually my first assumption) and turned off my security program. Still no luck, unfortunately.

My IRC program (all of them) do weird things too. It will randomly say things like "YZF is an unknown command" (while trying to connect) and will use random letters in place of "YZF". You'd think virus at first, right? Well, I've done multiple installs of XP since the issue first began (a year, maybe two years ago) and it's always done the same thing. So I'm convinced it isn't a virus either as I don'[t think the same virus would be on all computers in the house and would have survived through multiple re-installs of XP.
Hogwarts
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

I never leave.

At the mo', there are four people in the channel, with at least three active Smile
deanhills
Great to know you're always around Hogwarts. Have missed you posting at Frihost, but good to know that you are really always there even when you're not posting.
Ghost Rider103
Hogwarts wrote:
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

I never leave.

At the mo', there are four people in the channel, with at least three active Smile

Thats great, ill have to make an extra effort to get in there. If i wasnt posting this from my phone i would be trying now.

Actually, there's an app for irc. Ill have to download that again, its the only easy way into irc for me.
Ankhanu
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Actually, there's an app for irc. Ill have to download that again, its the only easy way into irc for me.

If you're using an iPhone, I really recommend Colloquy, it's a great IRC app Smile
Ghost Rider103
Nope I'm currently using an Android phone.

However I'll be ordering the iPhone on Monday so should have it on Tuesday. Very Happy

I'll check it out when I get it!
Ankhanu
nice Smile
I'll check what app my wife uses on her Android phone in the morning and let ya know (we actually met on IRC Smile )
Ankhanu
Just went up to bed and took a look at her phone; looks like she's using AndroIRC on her Desire Z.
Ghost Rider103
My computer is actually letting me into IRC tonight.

I urge more people to join in now. Theirs currently 4 of us in the room.

Would be great to get 6 or 7 people in there talking like the old days.
adri
Ankhanu wrote:
Just went up to bed and took a look at her phone; looks like she's using AndroIRC on her Desire Z.

I use AndroIRC too if I'm on my Android phone. On my laptop I use Colloquy. Smile

Hope to see you around from time to time Ghost. Wink

adri
Ghost Rider103
Ankhanu wrote:

I checked it out this morning. it worked fine at first but it wouldn't keep me logged in. It just kept disconnecting me from the server.

I used to use ANDchat a while ago when I would join through my phone. I think I'll go back to that lol.

Anyways, I'm signed in again from my computer without any issues. So I hope to see you all there again soon.

adri wrote:
Hope to see you around from time to time Ghost. Wink

adri

See you in there soon. Very Happy
Ghost Rider103
Ankhanu wrote:
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

If you're using an iPhone, I really recommend Colloquy, it's a great IRC app Smile

Got my iPhone yesterday. Going to have to check this out for when I'm not at my desk. Very Happy
Ankhanu
Have fun with it Wink
We can discuss some apps when we chat.
Josso
After some ridiculously long winded discussion in #help I discovered that you have to pay for virtual hosts or something to mask your IP? I mean seriously? Apparently there are free hosts but they aren't "safe to use with registered nicks"

On Freenode I just asked a mod once I was fully registered and I got a domain or something else there instead of my host name. Can't remember it was a while back but it was quick and simple.

CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN THIS NONSENSE. If this goes on much longer I'm just going to use proxies, but I don't think they will like that. I don't particually care about mods seeing it (like for example on here where its being seen by just staff) I just want it hidden from normal users...
Ankhanu
*shrug*
That's network specific issues, nothing to do with the channel itself, and not something we have any control over whatsoever. Though, personally, I've never encountered any security issues with privacy and my IP over DALnet in the past 17 years of using it.
vidafenomenal
still IRC, thought IRC does not exist now.
Josso
Ankhanu wrote:
*shrug*
That's network specific issues, nothing to do with the channel itself, and not something we have any control over whatsoever. Though, personally, I've never encountered any security issues with privacy and my IP over DALnet in the past 17 years of using it.

Yep I could flaunt my various IPs around for 17 years and probably nothing would come of it... however I have the right (virtual internet right) to be an free speaking entity without an ID number. I understand its a big network and have probably had a LOT of trouble in the past with various nastyness but once I'm registered I don't particually see the big deal. I mean if I was trolling or causing other trouble why not just ban the username?

Admittedly I am just annoyed because on the previous server I used it was like a 5 minute jaunt to some other channel to sort it out and now it's like oh yeah £2 a month
Hogwarts
Different network have different policies. Their policy is to not allow people to hide their IP address; which they're well within their right to do (given they own the network and do what they want with it). To be serious, anybody who was partially interested in your IP address wouldn't have much trouble getting it anyway, unless you were particularly cautious about using a VPN/TOR constantly.
Ankhanu
Josso wrote:
I mean if I was trolling or causing other trouble why not just ban the username?

Mostly because that is a completely ineffectual method of banning someone. It's too easy to work around, and, by my experience at least, most of those worthy of a ban are definitely willing to go around it if it's easy (or even if it's only moderately difficult). A user name ban is no different than asking someone to behave, when you've already done so and they've resolutely said "no!"

Josso wrote:
Admittedly I am just annoyed because on the previous server I used it was like a 5 minute jaunt to some other channel to sort it out and now it's like oh yeah £2 a month

I can understand that.
But, like Hogwarts said, different networks, different owners, different ways of doing things.
Ankhanu
Just a quick bump to remind everyone about the FriHost IRC channel!

Usage has increased over the last month, and it's been great. It would be wonderful to see more people there, though. The more people, the more conversations, the better we get to know one another, the stronger the FriHost community becomes... which will lead to more posts on the messageboard, which means more material to reply to, which means more traffic, which means more new users, which means more content, which means FriHost grows!
Ghost Rider103
Agreed! I really hope more of the usual Frihosters will join in the IRC.

Don't forget, we give away free coins to new IRC users! Lots of coins! Laughing

just kidding!
Ankhanu
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
just kidding!

For now...
foumy6
okay for me I get taken to mibbit to go onto the irc channel is this the same as the other. I guessing mibbit is just an application for it. I don't know, I have never done this before.
Ankhanu
Yeah, Mibbit is just a service., it can connect to any server.

When you go to the application, click the "Server" link next to the Connect drop down menu, and fill it in like this:

EDIT - but, ya know, spell your name right Wink
xiaotuanzi
That's cool.
aitm
Viva FriHost ! They're the best ever !
IceCreamTruck
Revive! I like the chat history of irc... can keep it open and read later. It's better for quick back and forth discussion too!
Ankhanu
IceCreamTruck wrote:
Revive! I like the chat history of irc... can keep it open and read later. It's better for quick back and forth discussion too!

With this in mind: Great to see you were in last night. I was in bed, but, there you were! Smile
Hopefully our activity cycles will match up eventually.
IceCreamTruck
Ankhanu wrote:
IceCreamTruck wrote:

With this in mind: Great to see you were in last night. I was in bed, but, there you were! Smile
Hopefully our activity cycles will match up eventually.

I am a working fool! Warning: do not match any activity cycles that I may have! I'm insane for posting at 2:32am! I'm beginning to ask myself the question, when do I ever sleep? Mad d'oh!
Ankhanu
IceCreamTruck wrote:
I'm insane for posting at 2:32am! I'm beginning to ask myself the question, when do I ever sleep? Mad d'oh!

*shrug* I do the same... but I'm an hour ahead of you Wink
tomseo1
Thank you a lot for experiencing this appeal publish with me. I am appreciating it very much! Excited to one more wonderful publish. Satisfaction in to the author! All the best..
tomiwoj
yule wrote:
Very good,Supports , Thanks .
tomiwoj
I think, that this is fantastic.
Ankhanu
tomiwoj wrote:
I think, that this is fantastic.

Then c'mon by!
Rajat_Pawar
Nice..be joining is sometime..Rajat_Pawar is here!
Cosmoslayer
It's been too long since I ever open up mIRC! I'm always on EFNet when chatting with local people and Rizon when chatting on anime topics. I'll visit DALNet sometimes and join #FriHost! Wink
Ghost Rider103
Cosmoslayer wrote:
It's been too long since I ever open up mIRC! I'm always on EFNet when chatting with local people and Rizon when chatting on anime topics. I'll visit DALNet sometimes and join #FriHost! Wink

Have you managed to join in on the channel recently? Very Happy

I think* you can connect to more than one server at the same time. At least you should be able to if you're using mIRC.

Would be great to see even more of you start coming in on a regular basis. Activity was definitely picking up in the IRC room in the past few weeks.

Ank, where have you been? You seem to have been absent from the IRC lately. You have us worried. Razz
Ankhanu
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Ank, where have you been? You seem to have been absent from the IRC lately. You have us worried. Razz

Have a work contract until Aug.12. Gonna have limited/no day time access during my work week, and I have to watch my week-night internet usage, as my source of internet is tethering to my cellphone; gotta watch my bandwidth use so I don't go over my data allotment for the month.
wombatrpgs
Not sure how I didn't notice this for so long, I'll probably drop in at some point.
codersfriend
I just tried this on mibbit Smile
mibbit is a cool site, no need to download irc client Very Happy
Ankhanu
codersfriend wrote:
I just tried this on mibbit Smile
mibbit is a cool site, no need to download irc client Very Happy

Sorry I missed you! Been on all morning, though. Pop by again... and be sure to say hello or something, my client doesn't highlight on join/part messages.
RosenCruz
Iguess I was able to come in via Mibbit. I connected to #frihost. Looks like no one was there. I shall check back later Smile
Peterssidan
I haven't been on the channel for some time now but it's not because I don't want to. It simply doesn't work any more. I think it's because of the wireless connection. Some day when I feel like it I will try if updating my IRC client and see if that helps.
Jontsu1
Irc = Mad
RosenCruz
since forum activity is below average lately, I believe IRC channel suffers the same problem
Ghost Rider103
RosenCruz wrote:
since forum activity is below average lately, I believe IRC channel suffers the same problem

Meh not quite.

The IRC consist of people that are consistent. In other words, the same people are in the IRC pretty much everyday regardless.

Often times the users of IRC are in the channel more than they are in Frihost (I'd be one of them).

When forum activity is low, I do suspect that the amount of new IRC users we see is lower as well. However it's hard to get new users to stay in the IRC channel, this is probably due to lower activity. We are steadily getting more activity in there though I think.

Again, would be great to see more people in there. Very Happy
Shuayb
Nice website Ghost Rider
KamijouTouma
Cool I was wondering if this site had an irc chat it would have been terrible if it hadn't cause thered be so little communication.
Josso
I would use this but I have bad experiences with dalnet almost every time I need to go there
Ankhanu
Just bumping this so it highlights again... Would LOVE to see more of you in the channel!
tonberry
I made lots of new and interesting friends through IRC. It was also a great source of books and even music albums, but the downloading process was too hard to stand the test of time with casual users (registering on channels, often being forced to make specific string of characters for each channel because moderators say so, using text commands for downloads, often awfully long queue).

For talking it was great though, it would be great to see IRC revival one day. With retro trends hitting all kinds of areas who knows!
Ankhanu
tonberry wrote:
For talking it was great though, it would be great to see IRC revival one day. With retro trends hitting all kinds of areas who knows!

Join and be part of the revolution!
adri
Update: I have become the new channel operator for the #frihost at dal.net because no one had opped in a month on the channel. I made Ankhanu my successor in case I should not join the channel for more than one month (which is actually not likely in the forseeable future as I have put my bouncer in that channel).
Ankhanu
Hmm, interesting. We'll chat Wink
omidz
100% working fine, thanks!
ropicool
thx Smile
azeezx
Very good AND Supports , Thanks Smile