FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is all the hype about GMail?

damj
What is all the hype about GMail about?

How is it different from any other free webmail provider?
Catch
I still havnt got a G mail account so if anyone wants to hook me u with an invite then it will be much appreciated Laughing
littlegiant
Frankly, I don't get the hype about this either. It's only available to US citizens and you have to be invited to get an account.
soulman
Catch wrote:
I still havnt got a G mail account so if anyone wants to hook me u with an invite then it will be much appreciated Laughing

that's OK, I've got a lot number to invent. Please PM me your email address~~

did any one try 30gigs?
meet in rio
I have a gmail account, and I live in England, so I'm pretty sure it's not a USA-only thing. Gmail's nice because you get way more space and your stored messages are organised a little better.

I have trillions of invites. If you want one then just post your email here.
soulman
meet in rio wrote:
I have a gmail account, and I live in England, so I'm pretty sure it's not a USA-only thing. Gmail's nice because you get way more space and your stored messages are organised a little better.

I have trillions of invites. If you want one then just post your email here.

if you want more space, this maybe better~

Quote:
http://www.30gigs.com

try this, I am lucky, got a invent of this email address~~ shout domain, easy to remember, and larger space~~ enjoy it, wanna invent, just PM me~

PS. this is only a suggestion, not a advertisement...
littlegiant
meet in rio wrote:
I have a gmail account, and I live in England, so I'm pretty sure it's not a USA-only thing...

Oh. Okay. I was just going by what Google posted in their Gmail FAQ:

"Currently, we're only able to offer this promotion in the United States..."

http://mail.google.com/mail/help/intl/en/about.html#signup

I guess that's changed now. Still not anymore excited about it though. I think that's the last thing I need... Another email account! Smile
SilverDogg
if i compare hotmail with gmail this is what i can come up with right now:

gmail is easier to track old emails with
gmail is faster
its easier to compose on gmail (or atleast writing down the adress since when you write a letter you get a list of all those mails in your adressbook starting with that letter)

uhm... well thats what i can come up with right now, and ocourse the storage Wink. i prefer gmail over any other mailprovider ive had =)
RA
- gmail's pages have less spam in them than most other popular webmail services +1
- gmail supports unlimited filters +1
- gmail gives you tons of space for storing data +1
- gmail supports https for the entire session +1
- gmail has a unique (good) way of keeping e-mail "threads" together +1
- gmail works well in Mozilla/Firefox +1
- gmail doesn't support mail groups -1

So, for the most part, it is a good, useful service that just works.
Jack_Hammer
I've never used G'mail, but does it work with net passport?
S3nd K3ys
The default spam settings have prevented 99% of spam from getting to my inbox, and kept 100% of emails that WERE NOT spam.

You can also access it from any pop3 client. (Thunderbird/Outlook etc.)

I'm very happy with it.
Danltn
RA wrote:
- gmail's pages have less spam in them than most other popular webmail services +1
- gmail supports unlimited filters +1
- gmail gives you tons of space for storing data +1
- gmail supports https for the entire session +1
- gmail has a unique (good) way of keeping e-mail "threads" together +1
- gmail works well in Mozilla/Firefox +1
- gmail doesn't support mail groups -1

So, for the most part, it is a good, useful service that just works.

Well said lol..

I love my Gmail Smile
erlendhg
Jack_Hammer wrote:

No.
To use Gmail, you have to be invited by someone who already has a Gmail account.
If you want Gmail and don't know about anyone who has a Gmail account, there is some sites who is collecting Gmail invites to give them away to anyone.

I think Gmail rules because of the label-system and the always counting space.
seanooi
I like Gmail because of the space they provide. It's always increasing even as we speak now. It's currently about 2.6GB if not mistaken. Laughing
SilverDogg
Jack_Hammer wrote:

im not really sure what you mean here. do you mean so you can use it to log in to msn for example? then yes! i use my gmail on msn. if you dont mean that, then im confused and should just be ignored ;P
Jack_Hammer
SilverDogg wrote:
Jack_Hammer wrote:

im not really sure what you mean here. do you mean so you can use it to log in to msn for example? then yes! i use my gmail on msn. if you dont mean that, then im confused and should just be ignored ;P

I mean partly for MSN, but they have a lot of sites that also use .net passports I believe it can be useful, and yes especially MSN.
Wink
SilverDogg
well then it works. i dont remember where i fixed it so it worked though XP. hopefully you know or someone else here knows Wink
snowboardalliance
I really like the labels in Gmail. So organized and you can save so much.
dark_paladin
Well, gmail loads faster than most others and doesn't have much ads, so Very Happy
PatTheGreat42
If anyone wants a gmail accout (Or ten, for that matter), just email me at
PatTheGreat42 (You can figure out the rest).

The hype about gmail is that it is google. Because google is the internet god, who's website who's influence we see every day and who's website we travel to often. Any gift from google is therefore to be cherished and much wanted.

And, you know, they have more space than anyone else. EVER. I'm up to 15%, personally.
PatTheGreat42
And I guess I was wrong about more space than anyone. Oops.

And the US-only promotion has to do with the way they're giving access now. They're trying to avoid bots making tons of accounts, so to stop that, when you sign up, they send a confirmation to your phone.

Since (I guess) their system only works with US phones, it's a US offer only.
joshua_erceg
If Gmail is as great as everyone is claiming-
then I suppose there would naturally be a Hype about it:?:
Anyway - I'm pretty certain that any email address (Gmail, Yahoo, Rock, Myownmail the list goes on forever) are compatible with NET.Passports.
Everyones comments haven't really made me want a Gmail account though-
Very Happy Perfectly happy with Hotmail (after all it is integrated better with MSN).
mr.e
I like the layout of gmail and the fact that the ads are really subtle.
threezeroone
Gmail is fast and the layout is nice.
Hippie
yeah i've got like 50 invites if someone wants one. I think the cool thing about gmail is just that there is so much space (2.6Gb, and counting). Granted that other sites are starting to do the same, but the layout is pretty nice, and they have POP as well. PM me for an invite, don't forget to include your email address.
threezeroone
If you have 50 invites, well, I have 100 left. Very Happy
chiragshivnani
G-mail rocks. I don't even miss 1 msg. In other services i missed some.
rbooth
gmail is great because of the huge space that is constantly increasing you also get less spam compared with hotmail so overall gmail is alot better Laughing
geo
if french persons wants invite i have 22 invites for gmail
jongoldsz
I really like gmail, I just signed up to 30gigs.com to see how their service is.
Brolly
I don't really understand it either. Pay for an email account istead. Unlimited space and..well it's just good. But I guess it's good (Gmail) if u don't wanna pay for an e-mail
osssa-cmw
GMAIL IS AMAZIN nigga!!!!!! ITS A WHOLE GB OF SPACE NIGGA! WHAT MORE COULD U ASK 4!!?! NIGGA!!!
criticaldensity
yo G, what up
ldnet
gmail is awsome and i love it i got 100 invites if anyone needs any. and YES you can use gmail with ur msn messenger, all u have to do is register the email with net passport. i use it.
Nameless
What is so great about extra space? What is the POINT of having so much space for e-mail? Somebody please explain this.

[quote=osssa-cmw]GMAIL IS AMAZIN nigga!!!!!! ITS A WHOLE GB OF SPACE NIGGA! WHAT MORE COULD U ASK 4!!?! NIGGA!!![/quote]

Decent technical support, an easy lay out, less spam, less annoying people ranting and spamming about it... the list goes on, NIGGA!!!
odek
Google mail is good, but no usefuel for me.
I'm fom poland Smile and use www.o2.pl or www.lycos.com
startsomething
I like gmail because:

--free
--huge storage space
--huge bandwidth so i can e-mail large files
--works with pop3 clients like outlook
--no anoying ads or slow business pleas like aol

it works out pretty nicely.
FMX-King
First of all it's free. You get over 2500 MBs of storage and it just keeps growing and growing. Gmail is my main email address and i'll use it till gmail dies.
kuroneko
also, you can only get gmail through invites which you can get here--
http://www.keiichianimeforever.com
dan751
littlegiant wrote:
Frankly, I don't get the hype about this either. It's only available to US citizens and you have to be invited to get an account.

If it's only available to US citizens, then how am I (a Canadian) able to have it?!
Jack_Hammer
UNofrtunatly there are very little open free Gmail accounts, took me ages to find an account name that hadn't been taken already...
damj
Gmail sounds good, though I like my hotmail account because I can get a pop-up message through messenger when I'm at work or home. I'm not impressed with hotmail, but I like it's integration with Messenger. It's amazing how MicroCrap products can give you just enough features to be really useful, but you're always left wanting more ...
salvin18
Gmail is great
It allows all mails to bo archieved instead of deleted
salvin18
Another feature abt gmail is tht you can add labels and folders

Have also noticed that file transfer to the mail box is faster compared to other free email services??
salvin18
Another feature abt gmail is tht you can add labels and folders

Have also noticed that file transfer to the mail box is faster compared to other free email services??
salvin18
have u noticed that gmail has a very kool interface that looks so professional
valkyrie-heavens
I dont like G-Mail. The links and folders and crap kinda suck. When i tried to move stuff to other folders it didn't work. this was awhile ago though. they may have fixed it by now.
brothymn
everyone one that has an isp ussualy gets email for free. GMAIL is a scam to get mailing list and get people to advertise..its a bunch of bull
SilverDogg
valkyrie-heavens wrote:
I dont like G-Mail. The links and folders and crap kinda suck. When i tried to move stuff to other folders it didn't work. this was awhile ago though. they may have fixed it by now.

well they dont really have folders, they have lables. but maybe you meant the inbox, sent mail, spam and such folders?
jarcelao
what's the hype about gmail?

simple...

it's the best free email service in the world! Cool
marocsite
I like Gmail because u have alot of storage space for your files, which like hotmail doesn't have.

Its easy to order your emails, and send emails.
LostOverThere
Cant find a name in Gmail, just try Hotmail... Wink

When they say its only open to the US, thats a lie, i'm down under and have an account.
RosenCruz
POP 3 support
incresing storage size every second
good interface
great updates and features
mimsxmassacre
At one point G-mail was big because it was invite only

Now, everyone and their mother can sign up for it
Crying or Very sad

GMAIL is the s-h-i-t, you get very low spam and if you do get any you can mark it as "SPAM" and you wont get any more. ITS much better cause the layout of your email page is very very simple but modern with spell check and most of all its google, so your not gona get abunch of ads and sh-it and news and sh-it all over the place like yahoo and hotmail.
go to google.com and then go to msn or yahoo.com. yahoo and msn are waaaay more bussyer with abunch of sh-it unlike google.com, wich is exaclt how google mail looks. your email providers homepage is gona reflect your email page most of teh time.
lethaltriad
I love it because its simple and easy to use and their isnt any banner ads.. just text links at the top that I barely see. All I want with email is just to receive and send and the interface works well with my workflow. Lots of space.. only think I wish we would attach multiple files at the same time rather than having to add them individually.
Kitten Kong
Yeah Gmail has a massive amount of space, so big that it ceases to be relevant. The real reason to use it is like someone else said, it has a very nice interface. It also allows you to use POP3 to have your mail come directly to your comp via outlook or your favourite mail software, a feature that yahoo only offers if you give them some cool hard cash. Also google is free, free free free, I don't like spending money. So long as gmail is so feature rich there is no reason to pay for an email server.

if anyone can give me one example of why to pay for an email server... oh unless you don't want the @gmail, i already thought of that Smile
Bilkers
I've a couple of gmail accounts and the best about it to me is the fact that it's free, web based and easy to use and the wee notifiyer in the task bar works fine for me. The huge space you get helps too.
Agent ME
I like that I can use Thunderbird with it, it's free, and it's a short domain name at the end of my email address (@gmail.com) Razz
Afaceinthematrix
I've had one for a few years. I've always liked it simply because they have a wonderful search feature that works well. You don't have to sort email anymore.
jiipee
yeah! I like gmail so much, because it's free and good. Wink
ashish2005
I do not care how much email space gmail gives us, most of the email services providers claim to give that much space. But the thing I like about gmail is it layout and some of it's cool features like being able to check my hotmail and other emails with my gmail account. I also like the quickness of gmail.
minty
The best part about Gmail is not the space or the fact that you have a Gmail account, it is that your Gmail account will is your Google Account as well.

Lets look at what you can do with a Google account:

Use Google Reader to organize all of your RSS feeds
    Use iGoogle as an interface to Google's homepage
      Add tons of widgets and create multiple tabs for organization purposes
    See more within Google Books and Google Scholars
    Able to post in Google Groups
    Use Google's capability to track your searches and do a trend analysis
      This allows Google to track your searches and find a common trend and give your more accurate results

These are the only things that I have used my Google Account to access. However, Google has a ton more options that you can leverage it for, so why not.

Plus you no longer need an invite and can create your own account with 5+ GB of space.

--minty
j_f_k
Gmail has all of those points although the interface is a little confusing compared to hotmail and outlook etc. Once you know where everything is then its fine.

The best part is the lack of spam and the enourmous amount of space that you get.
smokey4life
Ok, well first off if you have to be invited by someone else in order to create a G-Mail account how the hell did it ever get started right? They just gave a handful of people an account then let them spread the word? Just curious incase someone actually knows the answer to that. Also how does the invites work? I noticed that some said they had 50 invites other say they have way more then that. Do you get awarded invites for doing something or they give a set number of invites per month that add up or what?
Hammy
I don't understand why you are all still talking about the invite. Yeah the invites are still there, but havnt any of you even noticed the big text that says 'SIGN UP FOR GOOGLE MAIL!' ...

You dont need to be invited ---> http://mail.google.com/mail/signup
You've been able to registed for nearly a year now.

I use G-mail, and it has more space than i ever need, i am using 1% with over 3500 e-mails in my inbox.

One thing i dont like is that I cant create sub-folders and filters.. so that any e-mail containing 'Ebay' go into the e-bay folder. Ect..

But *Thumbs-up*
smokey4life
Hammy wrote:
I don't understand why you are all still talking about the invite. Yeah the invites are still there, but havnt any of you even noticed the big text that says 'SIGN UP FOR GOOGLE MAIL!' ...

You dont need to be invited ---> http://mail.google.com/mail/signup
You've been able to registed for nearly a year now.

I use G-mail, and it has more space than i ever need, i am using 1% with over 3500 e-mails in my inbox.

One thing i dont like is that I cant create sub-folders and filters.. so that any e-mail containing 'Ebay' go into the e-bay folder. Ect..

But *Thumbs-up*

Ahhh, yea thats ok then i think ill stick with my good ol' msn mail where i CAN create filters and sub-folders cause theres nothing like being organized to me!!
ddoonie
google recently started (well a few months now) with imap service... and i recently signed up for google apps. Great for free email hosting!
KronikSindrome
I don't know anything about G mail........... Confused Question

I don't even (barely) use my E mail.......

BUT! I know a lot about the "G-spot"........and "G-strings"...... Cool Razz
ccube921
gmail works really fast, your info is very very very well protected, they organize messages well, the sites designed nicely with easy to look at colors, you have many options on IMing (they have good smilies you get create your own sound on AIM) etc. I use them and they are the best. Plus you can also access all the other things google has to offer and that is a lotta stuff
molif
So many good things about Gmail..

1st, its very clean, ease to the eyes..

2nd, huge storage and still counting..

3rd, emphasise with AJAX, makes Gmail more interactive and productive..

4th, did I see its clean, yup, indeed, I prefer clean interface..
carlospro7
I have gmail and it's a very nice email client. I haven't completely switched to it though because many of my accounts online are linked to another email address that I've been using for many years now.
Seiji
I use both Yahoo and Gmail, I'm not sure what all the hype was about. I prefer my gmail account and it has nice features but its not anything grand.
deanhills
GMail is really a good service. And anyone can subscribe:

http://mail.google.com/mail/signup

What I like about it is that it is interactive about subject matter, feels as though there is a secretary in my e-mail account organizing all my e-mails for me in categories. It is also intuitive (if you choose the option of being linked in that way), so if you are writing an e-mail about any topic then Google organizes links that relate to the topic. Yahoo also does that, but puts the links inside the messages and I do not like that. Gmail is a little more subtle.

Much easier to sign up for Google than for a Hotmail account. Also less restrictive as you can have limitless space. Can really recommend GMail to anyone.
hofodomo01
Hmm, never really noticed a "hype" about gMail. While it does give you a ridiculous amount of space, the reason I use it most is its user-friendliness and functionability. It's simple enough to use quickly and effectively, yet it allows you just enough control over your email settings as well for some more detailed organization.
speeDemon
I've got 3 Gmail Accounts Very Happy

There is nothing really new about it, there is just one thing, that your conversations are saved as an archive. You don't have to delete any more mails, you can just ignore them, they will keep on adding into the archive. It will become something like this:

cute_guy@Yahoo.com: My new E-mail ID is this one. Note it down
Me: Who exactly are you?
cute_guy@yahoo.com: You friend Charles! How could you forget about me! Arr Evil or Very Mad
Me: Ooh! So sorry, i've noted it down. Couldn't really understand who you were.

And like that it can go to infiniti.
At first it was given to only US ppl, and each person got 50 or 100 invites. These could be sent to friends' n relatives' accounts on hotmail, yahoo, rediff, etc. then these ppl came to gmail or Google mail, and then they got 100 invites, and so the community spread, and today, maybe because of the advertisements, Gmail is giving out a lot of storage space.....

Oh yes! There is one more thing! Gmail doesent delete accounts!!! If you make an account on Gmail, then it never gets deleted! Now no more of thoes- oh my gosh! did I open my account in the last 30 days??? 's Just get invited somehow, and then just forget about it.. Wink

Well, that quite enough.

-Adi
suen
I'm just a little bit baffled that after three years, this thing is still alive and kicking! By now, I'm sure many here have figured out that Gmail is no longer exclusively exclusive, which is definitely reason to celebrate. :]

But on the reminiscing a bit, I do remember a time when it was possible for me to auction off my invites... ;]

For signup-age, though, Yahoo wins, hands down.
deanhills
Quote:
For signup-age, though, Yahoo wins, hands down.

I agree. Yahoo is my favourite of favourites. First there was Hotmail, then Yahoo, and then GMail. I have one worry about Yahoo however. There must be something in its security scripts that sometimes conflict with the firewals of e-mail systems. Every now and then I have had difficulty accessing it within a system with a secure Firewall. For example at my work. My work had to do some special moves (sorry I am a little bit of a dunce with IT) and a few times in a row, before we could get access to Yahoo.

Also, when I was on visit in South Africa in August last year found I had to switch to GMail, as for some reason it was not doing well with the e-mail servers used in Johannesburg.

Hotmail is also not the best. I find it sometimes very slow to access.

For consistency in standard of accessing my e-mail accounts anywhere in the world I have to give GMail top marks for it.
ankitdatashn
Gmail provides much storage, although these days many mailers provide unlimited storage space, gmail also provide direct messaging from its interface which I have not come accross any other provider.

Gmail is fast and also spam filters are very strong, I get minimal spam in my gmail account, but one thing is for sure, maybe the gmail can be best or not but I prefer using my yahoo mail account as I am habitual using that right from day 1 of my internet life.