FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Reflexion about teaching and learning languages

ratanegra
Hello forum, first let me introduce myself. I am a language lover, I teach English and study it in a more advanced level, I learn French, Swedish and Esperanto, especially the latter mentioned.
I've noticed that the normal ways people choose to teach languages are not the most convenient for everyone. And that only a minor part of language students realize what is convenient for themselves when choosing methods.
I have experienced many teaching and learning strategies with my students, and even with myself.

I would like you to tell me what you think are the strategies you would use to learn anything, especially languages, but don't limit yourself to it, and why.
PureReborn
Learning a foreign language is a difficult process and everyone has a different method that is most efficient for them.

I learned English, and am now learning Japanese. learning them without being in the environment is pretty hard.
Navigator
We had a student exchange program at the university, the people that came had absolutely no idea how to speak the language and at some point they had to mimic their way to lunch, bed or whatever. In three months they were speaking it quite decently. My theory? practice, practice, practice. Grammar, well thats just a whole new game.
ratanegra
Navigator wrote:
We had a student exchange program at the university, the people that came had absolutely no idea how to speak the language and at some point they had to mimic their way to lunch, bed or whatever. In three months they were speaking it quite decently. My theory? practice, practice, practice. Grammar, well thats just a whole new game.

Grammar is not new at all; it has been there for more than one thousand years. And it is really easier to learn a language if you know the grammar of it. My advice is to take it seriously, not only conversations (wether written or oral), but the grammar itself, vocabulary and everything that takes learning the language.

That's why I do this post, because I want to find other methods and share them to make it easier for everybody to learn a foreign language as easier as it can get.
deanhills
The basics like grammar and pronunciation are obviously important, but I find that taking students out on field trips, as well as fun trips like restaurants, in real life settings with the facial expressions and everything else, work very well.