FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

No Signal on Monitor?

sidlko
my system specs:
HP Pavilion P6140IN
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.80Ghz
4GB DDR2 RAM(Kingston & Transcend)
500GB SATA HDD Seagate
MSI Boston G31/G33/G35 Mobo
XFX nVidia GTS250 1GB DDR3 GFX Card
Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 500W
18.5" HDMI/VGA Monitor HP1859m

Problem:
while playing MOH 2010 my screen went blank and i got the white box saying monitor is going to sleep. no flicker or any indication whatsoever before this happened. was using driver v260.89 when this happened. rebooted my system after 30 seconds and got No Display. sent the card in for replacement and they sent me another card and i put my atx on its side to insert the gfx card and after that i booted my system and got display so i shut my system down and slid the panel back in and stood my atx on its side up and got No Display when i booted so i put my system back on its side again and took the panel off and got Display so i played the game for about 2 hours without incident.
next morning my re-seller came on a visit and booted my system while the atx was still on its side and got Display so he shut the system down and stood it back up and again..No Display so he took the atx to his shop cleaned my system out and still got No Display so we sent this card back for replacement. funny thing is...both the cards(the new one and the replacement one) worked fine when they were checked at the service centre and the guy over there said he was playing NFS without a hitch. what's the problem? One other thing...after i took out the gfx card and booted my system with the onboard vga..my system booted and is currently running properly. Pls advise. thank you.
weableandbob
By the sound of it, it's some sort of problem between your graphics card and motherboard. It's possible that one of the connections is bad unless the case is tipped on its side. Try and see if using the card on another person's computer fixes the problem.
sidlko
the thing is...when the card's in..its not loose at all. solid fit.
ocalhoun
Could be a broken or ESD damaged trace or chip on the motherboard though... especially if it were the chip that handles the protocol for the AGP/PCIe/whatever slot for your video card.

If everything else works fine, including the video card when installed on a different system, then it must be the motherboard.

If you can find one, try a completely different video card in your computer (different model and everything), and see how that works. If the same or similar problem happens, the problem is probably the motherboard.

*edit*
Before putting good hardware in a bad computer, check the power supply voltages, especially the small, odd ones supplied to the motherboard.
There's a slight chance your PSU is frying video cards, and it would be a shame to waste a known good one.
sidlko
thank you for ur informative response. one piece of info i failed to mention. i have a pre-installed Diagnostic tool called PC Doctor v6.0.5205.31 and i've run both Motherboard and complete System test and my system passed every one of them plus i'm getting proper display from my onboard vga since my card has gone for replacement. pls factor this in as well. thank u.
Alerrandre
Simple !!!

Change the monitor lol.

GOOD LUCK !!!
standready
I had this happen on one computer I had. Turned out that I had a "bad" slot on the motherboard. I guess one pin was losing connection due to weight of card. I was able to swap the graphics card into another slot.
mukesh
try to reconnect ram and Hard disk. Power supply can also creat problem i means SMPS.
michael12345
or changing everything thats replaceable

- other monitor
- different gfx
- other mainboard
- turning off or disable hardware you don't essentially need..
airh3ad
Please do check you cable the VGA and the power cord and the video card also. if you have built in video card test it , get the video card then try again im sure you can fix this case.
agbor
Ocalhoun you are right when you said'

Could be a broken or ESD damaged trace or chip on the motherboard though... especially if it were the chip that handles the protocol for the AGP/PCIe/whatever slot for your video card.

If everything else works fine, including the video card when installed on a different system, then it must be the motherboard.

If you can find one, try a completely different video card in your computer (different model and everything), and see how that works. If the same or similar problem happens, the problem is probably the motherboard.

*edit*
Before putting good hardware in a bad computer, check the power supply voltages, especially the small, odd ones supplied to the motherboard.
There's a slight chance your PSU is frying video cards, and it would be a shame to waste a known good one.

but it can work again?
LameRock
i think there is no problem with the GFX card since they are both OK on the service centre.
Try checking the cable connected to the monitor and to the system unit. Maybe it needed a replacement or something is loose.
Check if your power supply provide enough power for your GFX card since GFX card also has a power requirement.
airh3ad
That's rigth lamerock double check your vga cable and the power cord.
Asap170
You may just need to re-install the graphic card drivers with the manufacturers disc that was given to you. It'll most likely give a very plain GUI since it's GUI is ran from the motherboard. I had this happened to my and re-install of the drivers and now it works fine.