FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

ISNT PRACTICAL KNOWLEDGE MISSING SOMEWHERE IN COLLEGES?

chaity
TODAY WE R MUCH MORE CONCENTRATED IN THEORETICAL APPROACH RATHER THAN PRACTICAL.....SMWHERE IT IS LAGGING AS A RESULT QUITE A LARGE NUMBER OF STUDENTS ARE UNABLE TO ANALYSE THE FACTS PRACTICALLY...AM I RYT?
Bikerman
Not really.
(No need to SHOUT)
adri
Depends on the country that you're talking about. I can only give my opinion about the Belgian school/college system. In Belgium, you got two major types of college: University and High School (You can enter those if you did Secondary School). First difference between those is that you almost don't have any tasks at University during the year except the task to learn for your exams whilst in High School they give you regularly tasks, to keep you studying. Second difference in Belgium is, that you get less practical lessons in University than in High School. Although it sometimes depends on the courses you take, some courses at University are with a lot of practice... Let me take the example of civil engineer (which I'm studying), I get 20 hours of theory lessons, and 16 hours of making exercises, working on projects,... a week. Smile

adri
bukaida
How do you plan to perform any experiment without knowing it's theoretical background ( Unless you are some kind of Inventors like Newton or Einstein) ? Smile
ankur209
C'mon guys...he is absolutely right... Razz
These days Practical approach is surely missing in colleges... Crying or Very sad
As Far as I know,In India Except IITs,NITs rest others colleges are just emphazing on theoretical things rather than making students to implement it... Sad

@Chaity I completely agree with you... Rolling Eyes
bukaida
First learn the theory, then try to apply it in practical. The reverse is not a good academic practice. The engineers who have poor theoretical background usually tends to do the mistakes known as fundamental mistakes. Moreover no company will allow anyone touch their project until s/he satisfy the interview board. Again that requires strong theoretical background.
Afaceinthematrix
No. Not really. I've taken a wide variety of classes and have seen applications and practical uses. When I took sociology I had to interview people, observe people, etc. and then write papers on it. That seems like the only application of sociology that you can do in an undergraduate introductory course and we did it. It seemed mildly practical.

When I took my English classes, we had to actually write essays in English. We had to write articles, read articles and analyze them, and do many things that you'd expect to see a journalist do. That seems like the practical application to me.

In science courses, we always spent time in the lab doing experiments and seeing how science works in a laboratory sense. Also, if you were a science major (of some sort) and had good grades, then at any university in the United States (that I know of...) you are given opportunities to do undergraduate research and actually work with scientists and even have the chance of having your name published! That seems like the practical aspect of science.

You can also do research in mathematics (although it isn't nearly as much research as independent learning because you can hardly do any research in mathematics without a graduate level understanding of Algebra or Topology or some other field that you may want to do research in)... But even in some mathematics courses (like differential equations or other applied math courses) you do practical problems...
bukaida
@Afaceinthematrix

Sorry, still cannot agree with you atleast in the field of science & Engineering. You cannot perform a single experiment without knowing the theoretical background of it. The same applies in case of projects. Performing the experiment first and try to know the cause later (without the help of a teacher or guide) is nothing but some sort of invention.
However, research work may follow your logic as every research work is some sort of invention. Again that also requires some theoretical background.
As an example, You cannot write an essay in English without knowing the grammar or spelling. That requires the theoretical study of the English subject itself ( a poor example though).

Anyway every person has his/her own point of view. Very Happy
Afaceinthematrix
bukaida wrote:
@Afaceinthematrix

Sorry, still cannot agree with you atleast in the field of science & Engineering.

Did I say you could?

All universities that I know of have both lecture and lab for science classes and you go to lecture, learn the material, then go home and study it and do your homework, then you open up your lab manual and do all of the pre-reading and prelabs and then you go to the lab and do the experiment.

You learn applications and theory.

You aren't necessarily on the cutting edge of research. Every lab that you'll do has been done by thousands of students before you and your results are most likely going to be known by the lab instructor, but the point of this topic was to discuss if practical applications were studied in schools and your lab classes teach you the practical application.

Then, for most universities, if you're in good academic standing then you can work with a professor in their lab (most likely just taking notes, or writing down statistics, or cleaning the materials, etc.) and you'll really learn about how science can be practical.

Thus, practical knowledge is taught in school.
GoldenEagle
Here's a good one:

In chemical engineering, the students learn how to calculate pressures and temperatures for distillation columns, learn how to select the materials and sizes, learn how to calculate the number of distillation trays and how to calculate the concentration of the 2 out flows.

Now where do you learn what you (as an engineer) need to do if your vessel ruptures? Do you have to kill the leg? Is it something that a quick patching until the permanent repair can handle? Do you have to shut the entire plant down since once you move away from steady state outflow the flow for the entire runpath runs away.

Imagine being a new engineer and having something like that happen. Some education you got there.