FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Sub-Forum for Free Hosting Applications





deanhills
I wonder how many new Frihosters have made the "error" of asking how long it will take for their request for Website space to be processed? Why not get Frihosters to post their applications in a Sub-Forum against a specific template?

1. When they request Website space by clicking on a link, it should bring them immediately to the template and guidelines page. Then a link at the bottom of the template that takes them directly to the Sub-Forum where they are to post their application.
2. When the application has been processed, the Administrator can indicate whether Website space has been allocated with an OK tick next to the Forum or a cross tick for "Not OK".
3. If "Not OK" give the reasons for "Not OK" and what will be required in order to be OK'd.

If the poster has any enquiries, he can post it online against his application thread. Hopefully there can be a way that the threads will always remain in date order of having been opened, rather than date of last posting in the thread.

That way anyone can see how far down the line they are in the processing of applications, without having to bother asking anyone. It may help to reduce the number of PMs to Administrators and Moderators. And Administrators and Moderators who work with accounts may have the opportunity of earning points as well. All of the PMs will now be in posts instead of PMs. Once space has been allocated the thread can be locked as well. It may be interesting for the record for others to see how many people are applying for Website space and who the hardworking Administrators and Moderators are. The Administrators and Moderators who are working with the accounts will be getting more recognition for their hard work as well. Last but not the least, it will add to our total number of posts as well.
Bondings
There isn't really a waiting time for those requests in the sense of a queue. When an account creator notices there are new requests and he has time to handle them, they are all getting handled. They don't queue up, since at the moment we don't get many requests per day (a few per day). I also haven't received any of those pm's asking for how long it will take for the last few months, at least that I remember of.

About putting the requests in a froum, I've made a system to request hosting to replace posts requesting for hosting and it's been in place for quite some time. It is a lot faster, simpler and is done privately (meaning the details can't be seen by everyone but account creators).

About getting more recognition for staff, indeed that is a good point. But I could make the statistics available, if needed and wanted. And giving some reward (points/frih$/coins) for staff to handle a request might be a good idea too.

About the total number of posts, I don't see the point in artificially increasing those. They are already inflated quite a bit, because all of the spamcanned posts are still included, the same for private posts in the staff forums and the same for the posts in the awits. Reaching a million posts is a nice goal, but I want those million to be real posts in public discussion topics.
Ankhanu
Bondings wrote:
About putting the requests in a froum, I've made a system to request hosting to replace posts requesting for hosting and it's been in place for quite some time. It is a lot faster, simpler and is done privately (meaning the details can't be seen by everyone but account creators).


I think the privacy aspect of the current format is really superior to having a public record of hosting requests. With privacy, the requests can be dealt with with discretion and without having to answer for every admin decision to a committee of users. Much less hassle on both sides, I think.
deanhills
Ankhanu wrote:
Bondings wrote:
About putting the requests in a froum, I've made a system to request hosting to replace posts requesting for hosting and it's been in place for quite some time. It is a lot faster, simpler and is done privately (meaning the details can't be seen by everyone but account creators).


I think the privacy aspect of the current format is really superior to having a public record of hosting requests. With privacy, the requests can be dealt with with discretion and without having to answer for every admin decision to a committee of users. Much less hassle on both sides, I think.
What about it would require privacy? Everyone is posting anonymously anyway. Instead of waiting to hear from Moderators and bugging them for a response, one would be able to see progress up front. If the Moderator feels that some discretion is necessary, he can always PM instead of posting his reasons for not allocating Website space. The portion about passwords etc, will obviously not be posted, but PM'd. But explanations about how to access cPanel etc. can perhaps be contained in a stickie to that Sub-Forum.
Ankhanu
Information on how to access hosting, such as cPanel, is included in the PM that is sent forward when you've been accepted for hosting. There's really no need for people who haven't been accepted to know how to access what they cannot access. Plus, the private PM method allows the admins to include the specific personal information for accessing that can't be places in a sticky.

Simply, as someone who was granted hosting, I kind of like the fact that the process and rationales behind my gaining hosting aren't freely available for everyone to see. I think I would be doubly happy about it not being public if I had been rejected.

With the process being private, the applicant and the admins don't have to deal with "well meaning" interventionists sticking their noses into the process... especially in the event that an applicant was denied service. I know in other venues when someone is denied something they want, all too often a "Samaritan" will often step up to champion the cause of the person spurned... it's a source of annoyance for pretty much everyone involved (technically, I suppose I'm doing just that now Razz ).

As for wondering where you are in the application process, honestly, I think displaying patience is a great virtue to show those making the decision. Impatience and pestering could easily annoy those making the decision, and influence their decision making process (out of your favour).

I dunno, I guess I just don't understand the benefit of public applications.
Bondings
The subdomain name and the description of the website. Some people don't like that mentioned publicly. We also ask for the name of the user, although that can be left out as it doesn't have a purpose.
deanhills
Ankhanu wrote:
Information on how to access hosting, such as cPanel, is included in the PM that is sent forward when you've been accepted for hosting. There's really no need for people who haven't been accepted to know how to access what they cannot access. Plus, the private PM method allows the admins to include the specific personal information for accessing that can't be places in a sticky.
That part obviously needs to be in a PM. The fact that the person has been allocated a Website can be posted and then that thread can be closed with a positive tick next to it.

Ankhanu wrote:
Simply, as someone who was granted hosting, I kind of like the fact that the process and rationales behind my gaining hosting aren't freely available for everyone to see. I think I would be doubly happy about it not being public if I had been rejected.
That I can't understand, as aren't you posting under a pseudonym?

Ankhanu wrote:
With the process being private, the applicant and the admins don't have to deal with "well meaning" interventionists sticking their noses into the process... especially in the event that an applicant was denied service. I know in other venues when someone is denied something they want, all too often a "Samaritan" will often step up to champion the cause of the person spurned... it's a source of annoyance for pretty much everyone involved (technically, I suppose I'm doing just that now Razz ).
This can be taken care off by not allowing anyone else to post in that Forum. All comments will be spamcanned. The Forum is strictly only for processing applications.

Ankhanu wrote:
As for wondering where you are in the application process, honestly, I think displaying patience is a great virtue to show those making the decision. Impatience and pestering could easily annoy those making the decision, and influence their decision making process (out of your favour).
True, but not every one has your virtue of patience.

Thanks for the feedback. This is just a suggestion that I thought would help Administrators to earn some points and facilitate the communication process.
Related topics
Question before requesting free hosting
Free Domain & Redirect Services
free hosting
Delete the free hosting request forum
Is Free hosting real
What does FriHost get out of the forums and free hosting?
how do you get free hosting??
Frihost free hosting features
Knowing about Email with our free hosting plan?
Is this a good free hosting
how to request a free hosting in here?
Free Domains
FRIhost - Free Hosting Gem
funny spam about other hostings
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> Suggestions

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.