FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Google delares war on Microsoft!!!

TheSun
Quote:
hajmola writes "According to an article in The Inquirer, 'Google has confirmed that it will launch free spreadsheet and word-processing software online and take on Microsoft in one of its biggest markets. Under the deal, Google will allow web users to access Sun's OpenOffice from a toolbar.'" This is full confirmation of a story from Tuesday. Forbes thinks this isn't anything to write home about, while InfoWorld disagrees.

Source: Slashdot http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/10/06/1250215&tid=217&tid=109

Google builds an empire to rival Microsoft
Quote:
Google's one-of-a-kind computer network gives it a chance to surpass Microsoft to become the most dominant company in tech, according to the author of a recently published book on the search giant.

Google already has plenty of influence. It handles nearly half of the world's Web searches. It's hiring some of the biggest names in the industry, from the controversial Kai-Fu Lee of Microsoft to the legendary Vint Cerf, an early Internet pioneer. And it has become such the topic du jour in Silicon Valley that its search for a new corporate chef warrants significant local news coverage.

But what's next? Author Stephen Arnold has closely analyzed Google patents, engineering documents and technology and has concluded that Google has a grand ambition--to push the information age off the desktop and onto the Internet. Google, he argues, is aiming to be the network computer platform for delivering so-called "virtual" applications, or software that allows a user to perform a task on any device with an Internet connection.

Follow the link to read complete articles (Source ZDnet.com)

Google builds an empire to rival Microsoft: http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-5875433.html

Google and Sun join forces: http://zdnet.com.com/1606-2-5888673.html

The articles are tooo big to be pasted here so see them urselves
careyd
Google is an awesome company. They stand for a lot of good things. Microsoft has become nothing but a bloated, egocentric, bully. It used to be just an os, then added a few apps, now they are not happy unless every peice of software on your desktop is theirs, and you paid a handsome fee for it. I've seen so many times where microsoft bought a company and just shut it down because it was a threat to them.

Its great that google and the open source community are at the point to collapse the evil empire.

rock on!!!!!!!
bigdan
careyd wrote:
Google is an awesome company. They stand for a lot of good things. Microsoft has become nothing but a bloated, egocentric, bully. It used to be just an os, then added a few apps, now they are not happy unless every peice of software on your desktop is theirs, and you paid a handsome fee for it. I've seen so many times where microsoft bought a company and just shut it down because it was a threat to them.

Its great that google and the open source community are at the point to collapse the evil empire.

rock on!!!!!!!

They may be awesome now, but what's not to stop them from ending up like Microsoft?
S3nd K3ys
bigdan wrote:

They may be awesome now, but what's not to stop them from ending up like Microsoft?

I'll stick with Open Office. It's open source. It's free. It reads/writes Microsoft formats.
leodv
My opinion is that Google is trying to think in the shoes of consumers, rather that M$'s stand is from a enterprising company. M$ trys to provide quality software by extensively using resources to fund it's development, therefore the high off-shelf price. Google is just trying to reach out to the mass and try to earn reputation by providing free services, but what is Google's intention of doing so? We shall see...
ronitvohra
Till I remember,this also happened with netscape regarding browsing issues with internet explorer,But ms used some politics ie hired netscape best team members.......

but This time google is doing the same trick with microsoft...

Google Is starting from the bottom,And Ms dont know how to deal with it..

Same Issues I had Read In some other forums........too

And I think google Will Beat MS this time..............
careyd
bigdan wrote:

For one thing they are very opensource friendly and supportive. They use a lot of open source, contribute a lot of open source, and provide money towards open source projects.

Microsoft is only concerned with making money and aren't happy until every piece of software out there is theirs. A quote from Lord of the Rings comes to mind when I think of Microsoft. Its when Bilbo says "I feel tired and stretched, like butter scraped too thinly across toast." Thats not an exact quote but it goes something like that.

The fact that google supports open source says that they care about user's freedom of choice. You can also tell from the kind of work environment that Google supports.

Its funny that just today microsoft anouced that it plans to have an online version of office after google annouced it earlier.

I give microsoft 3 years before they tank. With that I mean that microsoft will still be around after 3 years, but they just won't be a major player.

Google has created so many innovative things. Where as it looks like microsoft just sits back, looks at what everyone else does and copies it. There are so many examples but there is one that comes to mind quickly, for instance IE v7 coming out now in responce to Firefox. The IE features almost read word for word the features off of Mozilla's site. Before Microsoft was bold enough to make the statement (and I believe it was in referance to ff) that "users only want what we give them". Its funny how they changed their tune after they saw how many people changed to ff. Microsoft's blatent disregard for w3c standards is obvious enough. Many features that work fine across all the other web browsers, you have to make workarounds for ie, just because microsoft didn't "feel like it was important enough to add support for", even though it's a w3c standard. They still haven't added full support for pngs, something they've toted as a feature since ie v 4.0, but never fully implemented. oh wait, isn't png an ISO standard and W3C reccomendation, didn't I just stumble across another example of ms ignoring standards, Smile

Balmer is pissed too at how many top Microsoft employees are jumping ship and going to google and other companys. Being a network admin I've scene first hand their tatics for making money. They have outragiously priced software, switch license schemes more times then most people change their underware, create a new os and discontinue support for a previous one every 2-3 years forceing people to spend money to upgrade, retrain, and more certification tests. Its no wonder people and corperations are getting tired of it.

Maybe one day Google will be like microsoft, but I really don't feel that they will. They seem to have a genuine concern for the user and helping to create standards instead of "imposing" standards. In 1998 M$ started an inititive to start renaming SMB to CIFS(Common Internet File System). hahaha, hmm it'd be nice if they let some of the world standards organizations in on this "common internet" file system hahaha. M$ is more concerned with their wallet in my opinion.

Thanks for all of those people out there that bared with my bad spelling Wink
careyd
I do have to give props to the WinFS team. They are a good bunch of guys and are doing some really inovative stuff, its sad to say that they are or were being put under some heavy constrants from the M$ marketing team or whoever to get this done in time for Vista/Longhorn. They are doing some really great work and to get the system right, with the features it'll have, they can't be subjected to those kind of constraints. It may not be the best when it comes out at first, but I beleave it'll be awesome in time. The Beta looks awesome already.

Besides that most of M$'s other software development seems to be copy and paste lol
Rhysige
Microsoft despite the constant bashing I see of it, has done a brilliant job, yes you pay to much, they try to control the software market but realistically think of how far they have taken the tech world.

Google taking on Microsoft will be interesting but I think they wont produce an OS to rival MS.

As for taking on MS Office I think they are planning on buying Open office or something along those lines, for now they are providing coders.
sean_keevey
Would anyone know if rumours of a Google Linux Distro are unfounded?
Grimboy
Well the Google team to have lots of experiance working with linux. They have made lots of modifications to the kernal in-house so as to optimise their servers.
SunburnedCactus
Who would have thought things would progress so far so quickly.

Why, I remember when Google wasn't even a very good search engine. How times have changed...
ParK
i dont believe a search engine rival to microsoft Confused
bananaphone
I reckon Google should make an operating system - they have the resources!!
Sneaky
Good for Google, I hope they get places, even with the whole non profit (save for google ads?) orginization thing. Many great ideas reside in (whoever works for) google.
sibbahz
Google just seem to be having a go at doing everything, dont know how well it will do. Their google talk program didnt seem to get very popular.
careyd
sibbahz wrote:
Google just seem to be having a go at doing everything, dont know how well it will do. Their google talk program didnt seem to get very popular.

They just released google talk not to long ago. Its not even out of beta yet. It's a little soon to say it went no where.
careyd
Rhysige wrote:
Microsoft despite the constant bashing I see of it, has done a brilliant job, yes you pay to much, they try to control the software market but realistically think of how far they have taken the tech world.

Google taking on Microsoft will be interesting but I think they wont produce an OS to rival MS.

As for taking on MS Office I think they are planning on buying Open office or something along those lines, for now they are providing coders.

I personally don't feel that MS as done all that much to advance the computing world. All the major advances have always been on the unix/linux/apple or other operating system front. Microsoft has always bought or copied.

VMS wrote their initial network system for them. They tryed to bully/buy novell for their network system and when they refused microsoft copied their network protocals and called them their own. Word was copied to try to compete with word perfect. Just about anything they've done has been boughten or stolen.

I mean granted they may have some popular desktop software, so does any os, but as far as "advancing the tech world" I think thats a bit of a stretch.
Rhysige
Ohh yes we can see the hundreds of copies of operating systems on the market before windows along with the wide spread use of computers, how could I forget such a thing. I should have known windows didnt make it graphically easier for common people to use computer. [/sarcasm]
screwforge
Google's the future!
Micro$oft's days will end (hope soon). Google looks like the best competitor against Micro$oft.
Even though now they don't earn the same money, some day Google will be the strongest link.
By the way, I heard something about Google looking forward to having their own OS (currently they're running a modified Red Hat Linux modified). Somebody heard the same?
justinrs32
Google is an outstanding company. Although Microsoft has a lot of great programs and such, i believe that a company such as Google could pass them up. It could be suicide to compete with Microsoft. There have been many companies that have tried to be competitive, then they all went crashing down to nothing. Bill Gates is very intelligent, and not always fair. He wants to be on top, and rule the world lol. I think it would be awesome to see good competition between the two.
gamo
TheSun wrote:
Quote:
hajmola writes "According to an article in The Inquirer, 'Google has confirmed that it will launch free spreadsheet and word-processing software online and take on Microsoft in one of its biggest markets. Under the deal, Google will allow web users to access Sun's OpenOffice from a toolbar.'" This is full confirmation of a story from Tuesday. Forbes thinks this isn't anything to write home about, while InfoWorld disagrees.

Source: Slashdot http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/10/06/1250215&tid=217&tid=109

Google builds an empire to rival Microsoft
Quote:
Google's one-of-a-kind computer network gives it a chance to surpass Microsoft to become the most dominant company in tech, according to the author of a recently published book on the search giant.

Google already has plenty of influence. It handles nearly half of the world's Web searches. It's hiring some of the biggest names in the industry, from the controversial Kai-Fu Lee of Microsoft to the legendary Vint Cerf, an early Internet pioneer. And it has become such the topic du jour in Silicon Valley that its search for a new corporate chef warrants significant local news coverage.

But what's next? Author Stephen Arnold has closely analyzed Google patents, engineering documents and technology and has concluded that Google has a grand ambition--to push the information age off the desktop and onto the Internet. Google, he argues, is aiming to be the network computer platform for delivering so-called "virtual" applications, or software that allows a user to perform a task on any device with an Internet connection.

Follow the link to read complete articles (Source ZDnet.com)

Google builds an empire to rival Microsoft: http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-5875433.html

Google and Sun join forces: http://zdnet.com.com/1606-2-5888673.html

The articles are tooo big to be pasted here so see them urselves

The war between two giants is truth because if one of them want to exist, him must defeat or even if kills the other one. That is competive rules in the trade markets.
gonzo
I can't wait for Google OS... then they can catalog every keystroke and mouseclick for my convenience.. somehow.. and better target ads to me. yay! I'd love to trade my privacy for a shiny bobble!
moncader
Google is the best company on this planet, they want whats best for there users, not the company. It just so happens that Googles way of making it great for us is best for the company. lol. I personally want google to take over the web. It would bring M$ down, which is great (Linux user here), and openoffice would rise (another great thing). I use ALL of googles products (except there server searching thing) and all of them are great, an OS from them would be awsome too....
robin
just die microshit, just die

watch "pirates of silicon valley' for windows using noobs.
windows is a name made by microshit but the os is not made by them.
sangook
i got something funny at www.mikrosoft.com
robin
what's so funny?
i expected some sort of insult against microcrap
im disappointed
gonzo
robin wrote:

actually the first GUI OS is by xerox... which is neither microsoft NOR apple.

dollarBIll gates legally purchased DOS from that one guy an sold it as MS-DOS ... nothing illegal about that
nakamaru
I vote that google wins.
brilliantbeauty
bigdan wrote:
careyd wrote:

rock on!!!!!!!

I agree that microsoft is a near monopoly, lthough not technically one although the tactic you mentioned is a classical monoply strategy.
robin
gonzo wrote:
robin wrote:

dollarBIll gates legally purchased DOS from that one guy an sold it as MS-DOS ... nothing illegal about that

yup yup but i think microsoft stole the most, and made such a crappy OS yet they somehow made so damn much money and everyone uses it. bastards!!

at least apple make great computers out of what they stole but too bad its so expensive

i vote for microshit to farkin DIE!
and GO GOOGLE!!
a google OS u say? where can i look that up? is it true?
hangnhu
You guys are talking foriegn to me, no understanding anything about these operating system and how microsoft buy or copies all of their rival works. Personally I don't think that Microsoft is that big a problem, maybe that depends on where you are. I don't uses Microsoft that much, maybe Power point once in a while, but I'm learning Java & Macramedia, their better. I uses Word and IExplore alot, but I can't help it, it I didn't read through, I would know anything about new browser such as Firefox (by the way, are they from google?). I don't like beta, it attarctive, but it causes so many problem, with firewall and stuff, mind you, it might have been that I don't know how to control both of these.

Microsoft an evil empire, well personally there are many on this planet, but they wouldn't have been if there was no end users to support them.

Yes, I agree that Microsoft (if they did copied others) they do makes the software simplier for common users, such as myself.

I don't like how Google will declare war on Microsoft, (I don't exactly support MS here, I love my gmail, are you kidding?) because there is no gareentee that they too won't turn as evil as MS. However I greatly looks forward to the idea of have basic softwares online, because I don't have a computer to myself and really can't afford much. I don't want to miss out of stuff just because I can't afford things yet.

Anyway, if Google do beat MS (very likely they will, afterall new replaces old is the current ages afterall) I just hope I won't have to pay for anything except for buying the computer, paying the internet and telephone bill and the electric bill.

I support all softwares name, just as long as it users friendly and suit my purpose.
careyd
gonzo wrote:
robin wrote:

Gates sorta scammed Dos out of the guy, he later sued gates. He asked him in court "why is this line of code here? Why was that comment put here?" etc... all of which gates couldn't answer. I believe they ended up settling and the guy got a good chunk of change