FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Guy Fawkes Night/Bonfire Night - 5th November

watersoul
Tonight, all my neighbours, friends and our kids are gathering together, we've got a huge fire ready to be lit, fireworks, floating lanterns, and lots to eat and drink. It's Guy Fawkes Night, and if anyone doesn't know what this is, here's a Wiki link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes_Night
Quote:
Guy Fawkes Night originates from the Gunpowder Plot of 1605, a failed conspiracy by a group of provincial English Catholics to assassinate the Anglican King James I of England and VI of Scotland and replace him with a Catholic head of state. The survival of the king was first celebrated on 5 November 1605, after Guy Fawkes, left in charge of the gunpowder placed underneath the House of Lords, was discovered and arrested.

A truly strange reason to celebrate each autumn/winter I admit, but one everyone looks forward to even if they don't know the history of it. Maybe we'd all be the Pope's "British children" if Guy Fawkes hadn't been caught, who knows, I'm just looking forward to a fun night with friends.

If you don't celebrate this yourself, do you have any curious national celebrations in your calender?

Another twist this year is that Diwali falls on the same day, so areas of the UK with big Hindu & Sikh populations are having a double blast!
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/guy-fawkes-vs-diwali-battle-of-bonfire-night-2125672.html
standready
Interesting bit of history I was unaware of but yes a rather curious way of celebrating the event, I mean using gunpowder (fireworks). Sounds like a fun celebration anyway. Enjoy yourself. Don't blow-off any fingers.
deanhills
I'm not a big fan of Guy Fawkes at all. Too many people have got injured by fire works, especially children who play with fire works (in secret) without really knowing that it can be harmful to them. But most of all the negative impact it has on animals who are very sensitive to this kind of noise. When is is done on a large scale, such as in English Bay, Vancouver immediately adjacent to Stanley Park where there is a Fire Works competition on over the summer and Fire Works are presented one day a week for a number of weeks, the quality of the air, that is already challenged with hordes of tourists gets doubly impacted, not to mention poor Stanley Park that gets completely littered and trampled. Does not make sense to me at all.
watersoul
standready wrote:
Interesting bit of history I was unaware of but yes a rather curious way of celebrating the event, I mean using gunpowder (fireworks). Sounds like a fun celebration anyway. Enjoy yourself. Don't blow-off any fingers.

It can be dangerous, a friend of mine lost 3 fingers when I was about 13yrs old - totally fun and incident free usually though, and a great way to have a final BBQ before winter Smile

deanhills wrote:
I'm not a big fan of Guy Fawkes at all. Too many people have got injured by fire works, especially children who play with fire works (in secret) without really knowing that it can be harmful to them. But most of all the negative impact it has on animals who are very sensitive to this kind of noise. When is is done on a large scale, such as in English Bay, Vancouver immediately adjacent to Stanley Park where there is a Fire Works competition on over the summer and Fire Works are presented one day a week for a number of weeks, the quality of the air, that is already challenged with hordes of tourists gets doubly impacted, not to mention poor Stanley Park that gets completely littered and trampled. Does not make sense to me at all.

Oh my gosh Dean?!
I'm guessing that "health & safety approved" parties at your place must be really exciting! Laughing
deanhills
watersoul wrote:
I'm guessing that "health & safety approved" parties at your place must be really exciting! Laughing
Not really, that is just me being concerned about the environment and especially the animals in it. The hearing of animals is on a much more sensitive channel than ours. So they have to be scared out of their wits. I find it a pretty destructive type of activity in overall. Why not just barbecue and have a ball with that?
truespeed
deanhills wrote:
Why not just barbecue and have a ball with that?

Because its England and its November and its freezing. Smile
Bikerman
Well, as I type this I have Maddie (our Border Collie) sat on my lap shivering as the fireworks pop. That is quiet uncomfortable and awkward when typing...One of the other dogs - Skip (schipperke) is running around barking at the bangs in a macho 'let me at 'em' style (typical for the breed, masking the fact that he is scared). I therefore have some direct experience to bear.
My own opinion is that I wouldn't ban the fireworks/bonfires, even though they are a major pain for me, and I don't 'do' Guy Fawkes Night myself.
truespeed
Our dogs aren't bothered,the fireworks outside are loud as there is an organized display very close,the dogs are unfazed by it all.
Bikerman
Yes, two of ours aren't bothered either. Max (Welsh collie) and Minnie (another schipperke) don't let it even disturb their lazing, much less show any alarm.
deanhills
Bikerman wrote:
My own opinion is that I wouldn't ban the fireworks/bonfires, even though they are a major pain for me, and I don't 'do' Guy Fawkes Night myself.
Who said anything about banning? I most certainly did not. I said I don't like it, and I gave my reasons for it. I am definitely not the only one either, except perhaps in this thread so far. If the majority seems to think it is OK, then why should I want to stop them?

I did a search on the Web, just a quickie, and these are the threads that came up:
http://www.bing.com/search?q=guy+fawkes+effect+on+animals&form=MSNH14&qs=n
Bikerman
deanhills wrote:
Who said anything about banning?
Me. I said I wouldn't.
Quote:
I most certainly did not.
Believe it or not, not every posting I make is aimed at you specifically.
watersoul
Bikerman wrote:
Well, as I type this I have Maddie (our Border Collie) sat on my lap shivering as the fireworks pop. That is quiet uncomfortable and awkward when typing...One of the other dogs - Skip (schipperke) is running around barking at the bangs in a macho 'let me at 'em' style (typical for the breed, masking the fact that he is scared). I therefore have some direct experience to bear.

Aw bless her heart, I like Border Collie's, one of my mates has one and she's really timid as well, even a plastic bag blowing in the wind frightens her! Pop a pic up in this thread if you want, be nice to see her.

truespeed wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Why not just barbecue and have a ball with that?

Because its England and its November and its freezing. Smile

Haha, never a truer word spoken! It's our last chance of outdoor partying before the dark badlands of Winter set in for the next few months. Loud music & sillyness is pretty much accepted by most people on this weekend as well - and last night was a complete success with most of our street at my friends next door (biggest garden), huge bonfire, loads of fireworks, BBQ, another mate DJ'ing on the deck's set up up outside, happy kids, sparklers, fun & much laughter. Just got to nip round now to help clean up the mess!

Bikerman wrote:
Believe it or not, not every posting I make is aimed at you specifically.

ROFL! Laughing
deanhills
Looks as though New Zealand is moving in the direction of banning Fire Works:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10471609
http://pr.co.nz/guy-fawkes-restrictions-auckland-01112010/
Probably won't take long for them to get to that point.
Bondings
Please keep it on topic, more specifically fireworks. It's really not needed to second-guess who implied what with their posts. This is an innocent topic and really shouldn't cause any fights.
watersoul
Maybe this should be moved to Phil & Relig though, after all, it is a celebration of the failure of a Catholic plot against the Protestant king - we could really tear the debate to bits there, and what about the contradiction of atheists, who celebrate with fireworks while not pinning their flag on any religious mast?!

Oh my gosh, I'm worried now...perhaps the topic is not as innocent as it first appeared Shocked Laughing
Bikerman
LOL...why shouldn't atheists join in (I actually don't, for aforesaid reasons) ?
Let me get this straight - we have a plot by an oppressed minority religion (Catholics) to blow up a rival sect (Anglicans). The plot is foiled, some Catholics are variously done away with, and the Anglican church begins the long slide into agnosticism and decline.
And you don't think Atheists should celebrate? Party on non-theists, say I - what a result!........
watersoul
Haha, that's the spirit!

A brilliant, quirky British winter celebration based on a dark religious history.
We had our effigy of Guy Fawkes made from some old clothes of mine and stuffed with fallen leaves from the street. The older kids threw him on the fire and us "grown ups" all raised a glass.

Excellent silly fun mixed with a little danger from the fireworks.
...and perfectly timed in the year, just when Britain transfers into miserable winter mode!

*edit*
Absolute mess in my mates garden today, took the two of us an hour and 8 full binbags to clear up - definitely worth the effort though Smile
deanhills
Think the movie "V for Vendetta" (2006), where one guy took on a "totalitarian" Government in the UK and did it Guy Fawkes style is the best story yet for me for a Guy Fawkes celebration.
Quote:
V vows to carry out the plot that Fawkes was executed for attempting on November 5th in 1605: he will blow up Parliament.
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1808632423/details
ratanegra
Quote:
Remember, remember,
the fifth of november,
he gunpowder, treason and plot,
I know of no reason
why the gunpowder treason
should ever be forgot.

I celebrated it myself while watching the movie of V for Vendetta (best movie I've ever seen). I was trying to find a Guy Fawkes suit (like V's one), but it's a hard task here in Venezuela... I would have had to go to another country or to buy it via-Amazon. The problem is that here dollars are limited and I don't have access to them.
watersoul
ratanegra wrote:
Quote:
Remember, remember,
the fifth of november,
he gunpowder, treason and plot,
I know of no reason
why the gunpowder treason
should ever be forgot.

I celebrated it myself while watching the movie of V for Vendetta (best movie I've ever seen). I was trying to find a Guy Fawkes suit (like V's one), but it's a hard task here in Venezuela... I would have had to go to another country or to buy it via-Amazon. The problem is that here dollars are limited and I don't have access to them.

Thats pretty cool, and good to know there was a little celebration of bonfire night going on so far away from here Smile
deanhills
watersoul wrote:
Thats pretty cool, and good to know there was a little celebration of bonfire night going on so far away from here Smile
Have you seen the movie? If not, I encourage you to see it, especially if you are a Guy Fawkes person. I don't think anything can triumph that kind of "celebration". Smile
watersoul
[quote="deanhills"]
watersoul wrote:
Have you seen the movie? If not, I encourage you to see it, especially if you are a Guy Fawkes person. I don't think anything can triumph that kind of "celebration". Smile

You're right there fella, really good film, seen it a couple of times now - the slightly abrupt ending disappointed me a bit though.
deanhills
watersoul wrote:
You're right there fella, really good film, seen it a couple of times now - the slightly abrupt ending disappointed me a bit though.
That is really true, and I would have hoped for everything to explode as well, Evy could have passed on, but would have been nice if he could have survived, so that they could make a few sequels of the movie. Although perhaps they still could, easy to resurrect these guys from the dead .... in sequels .... Smile
coolclay
I had heard this was a legitimate holiday in the UK, I didn't really know what it consisted off though. It's as good as any excuse to have a party and shoot some fireworks.
Blaster
Sounds like a strange holiday to me. Here in the sates we have Memorial day which starts off the BBQ, Sometimes held alongside fireworks as well. Then we have Labor day which ends BBQ and again is sometimes accompanied by fireworks.

Needless to say you have some people like me that no matter how cold it is outside a good grilled steak or burger is worth it. So never end the grilling.
watersoul
Blaster wrote:

Needless to say you have some people like me that no matter how cold it is outside a good grilled steak or burger is worth it. So never end the grilling.

Lol, same here, we had a fire & food in the garden again last night, few friends and laughs with cold faces warmed by the glow - but without the fireworks!
Blaster
Yea Barbaquing should not be stopped for any reason. There is nothing like that fresh off the grill taste. I dont' know how to cook hamburgers any other way.
deanhills
Watersoul may be able to confirm, but I think in the UK they only have fireworks on Guy Fawkes day. I remember in Canada there would be fireworks for any occasion, including Canada Day on July 1st so maybe in the US as well?
watersoul
It depends where you live really. Nearly every village, town, or city will have a public display on Guy Fawkes night, plus the thousands of parties in private gardens etc.
But in the last few years, it's become quite common to see displays going on at the stroke of midnight, new years eve as well.

Where I live, we have fireworks going on quite a lot as it's a tourist area with events like Torbay Sailing Regatta having a couple of good displays, plus an aerobatic fighter jet show from The RAF Red Arrows.

Overall though, Guy Fawkes night is the main one for most parts of these little isles Smile

*edit*
Big private display going on at a house in the next street right now. Some really impressive fireworks and it's been going on for nearly an hour so some money has clearly been spent to make it happen. I don't know who's celebrating whatever, but it's gotta be important to the folk in that garden, hope they have a lovely evening Smile
Navigator
vendetta was great!