FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Reflections on the US by a citizen

standready
I received this in an email. It is well-worded...and how true for the United States. Bio on author: Robert A. Hall is a Marine Vietnam veteran who served five terms in the Massachusetts State Senate

[EDIT] This is NOT the actor who plays the coroner on CSI if you watch that show.

Quote:
'Im 63 and I'm Tired"
by Robert A. Hall

I'm 63. Except for one semester in college when jobs were scarce and a six-month period when I was between jobs, but job-hunting every day, I've worked, hard, since I was 18. Despite some health challenges, I still put in 50-hour weeks, and haven't called in sick in seven or eight years. I make a good salary, but I didn't inherit my job or my income, and I worked to get where I am. Given the economy, there's no retirement in sight, and I'm tired. Very tired.

I'm tired of being told that I have to "spread the wealth" to people who don't have my work ethic. I'm tired of being told the government will take the money I earned, by force if necessary, and give it to people too lazy to earn it.

I'm tired of being told that I have to pay more taxes to "keep people in their homes." Sure, if they lost their jobs or got sick, I'm willing to help. But if they bought McMansions at three times the price of our paid-off, $250,000 condo, on one-third of my salary, then let the left-wing Congress-critters who passed Fannie and Freddie and the Community Reinvestment Act that created the bubble help them with their own money.

I'm tired of being told how bad America is by left-wing millionaires like Michael Moore, George Soros and Hollywood Entertainers who live in luxury because of the opportunities America offers. In thirty years, if they get their way, the United States will have the economy of
Zimbabwe, the freedom of the press of China, the crime and violence of Mexico, the tolerance for Christian people of Iran, and the freedom of speech of Venezuela.

I'm tired of being told that Islam is a "Religion of Peace," when every day I can read dozens of stories of Muslim men killing their sisters, wives and daughters for their family "honor"; of Muslims rioting over some slight offense; of Muslims murdering Christian and Jews because they aren't "believers"; of Muslims burning schools for girls; of Muslims stoning teenage rape victims to death for "adultery"; of Muslims mutilating the genitals of little girls; all in the name of Allah, because the Qur'an and Shari'a law tells them to.

I'm tired of being told that "race doesn't matter" in the post-racial world of Obama, when it's all that matters in affirmative action jobs, lower college admission and graduation standards for minorities (harming them the most), government contract set-asides, tolerance for the ghetto culture of violence and fatherless children that hurts minorities more than anyone, and in the appointment of U.S. Senators from Illinois.

I'm tired of being told that out of "tolerance for other cultures" we must let Saudi Arabia use our oil money to fund mosques and mandrassa Islamic schools to preach hate in America, while no American group is allowed to fund a church, synagogue or religious school in Saudi Arabia
to teach love and tolerance.

I'm tired of being told I must lower my living standard to fight global warming, which no one is allowed to debate. My wife and I live in a two-bedroom apartment and carpool together five miles to our jobs. We also own a three-bedroom condo where our daughter and granddaughter live. Our carbon footprint is about 5% of Al Gore's, and if you're greener than Gore, you're green enough.

I'm tired of being told that drug addicts have a disease, and I must help support and treat them, and pay for the damage they do. Did a giant germ rush out of a dark alley, grab them, and stuff white powder up their noses while they tried to fight it off? I don't think Gay people choose to be Gay, but I damn sure think druggies chose to take drugs. And I'm tired of harassment from cool people treating me like a freak when I tell them I never tried marijuana.

I'm tired of illegal aliens being called "undocumented workers,"
especially the ones who aren't working, but are living on welfare or crime. What's next? Calling drug dealers, "Undocumented Pharmacists"?
And, no, I'm not against Hispanics. Most of them are Catholic, and it's been a few hundred years since Catholics wanted to kill me for my religion. I'm willing to fast track for citizenship any Hispanic person, who can speak English, doesn't have a criminal record and who is self-supporting without family on welfare, or who serves honorably for three years in our military.... Those are the citizens we need.

I'm tired of hearing wealthy athletes, entertainers and politicians of both parties talking about innocent mistakes, stupid mistakes or youthful mistakes, when we all know they think their only mistake was getting caught. I'm tired of people with a sense of entitlement, rich or poor.

Speaking of poor, I'm tired of hearing people with air-conditioned homes, color TVs and two cars called poor. The majority of Americans didn't have that in 1970, but we didn't know we were "poor" The poverty pimps have to keep changing the definition of poor to keep the dollars flowing.

I'm real tired of people who don't take responsibility for their lives and actions. I'm tired of hearing them blame the government, or discrimination or big-whatever for their problems.

Yes, I'm d--- tired. But I'm also glad to be 63. Because, mostly, I'm not going to have to see the world these people are making. I'm just sorry for my granddaughter..

I think this needs to be placed in front of every elected official in the United States from the President down to the county clerks.

I welcome your comments!
escritor
standready wrote:
Robert A. Hall is a Marine Vietnam veteran who served five terms in the Massachusetts State Senate and is the actor who plays the coroner on CSI if you watch that show.

I suggest you to do some research before believing stuff:

Quote:
Some have confused the item's actual author (Robert A. Hall, former Massachusetts state senator) with Robert David Hall (actor who plays coroner Dr. Al Robbins on the TV show CSI: Crime Scene Investigation.) Though the names are similar, they're different people. Compounding the problem, one version of the e-mail displays within it a photograph of the actor, thereby erroneously leading recipients to believe the man pictured is the piece's author.

From Snopes.
standready
Thank you for the clarification. My apology to the Senator. I have edited original post.
Anyway, it is very good reflection of how many of us feel about the country.
ocalhoun
standready wrote:

Quote:
In thirty years, if they get their way, the United States will have the economy of
Zimbabwe, the freedom of the press of China, the crime and violence of Mexico, the tolerance for Christian people of Iran, and the freedom of speech of Venezuela.

[citation needed]

@whoever the random person was who originated this email,
Being a libertarian, I do agree with parts of this conservative rant... and disagree with others...
But please, at least make some attempt at substantiating your arguments.
liljp617
Some decent.

Majority of it sounds like your stereotypical 63-year-old who still has the mentality of someone living in 1968. Mostly out of touch with reality and hypocritical. meh what concerns me more than anything on the list is if a large number of people actually think like this...and then turn around and offer not a single solution (I guess that's too much to ask though).
jwellsy
Here's another email that's going around.

Quote:
We have enjoyed the redneck jokes for years. It's time to
take a reflective look at the core beliefs of a culture that
values home, family, country and God. If I had to stand
before a dozen terrorists who threaten my life, I'd
choose a half dozen or so rednecks to back me up.
Tire irons, squirrel guns and grit -- that's what rednecks are
made of. I hope I am one of those. If you feel the
same, pass this on to your redneck friends.
Y'all know who ya are

You might be a redneck if: It never occurred to you to
be offended by the phrase, 'One nation, under God..'

You might be a redneck if: You've never protested about seeing
the 10 Commandments posted in public places.

You might be a redneck if: You still say ' Christmas'
instead of 'Winter Festival.'

You might be a redneck if: You bow your head when
someone prays.

You might be a redneck if: You stand and place your
hand over your heart when they play the National Anthem

You might be a redneck if: You treat our armed forces
veterans with great respect, and always have.

You might be a redneck if: You've never burned an
American flag, nor intend to.

You might be a redneck if: You know what you believe
and you aren't afraid to say so, no matter who is listening.

You might be a redneck if: You respect your elders and
raised your kids to do the same.

You might be a redneck if: You'd give your last dollar to
a friend.

If you got this email from me, it is because I believe that
you, like me, have just enough Red Neck in you to have the
same beliefs as those talked about in this email.

God Bless the USA !

Keep the fire burning, redneck friend.

IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS FEEL
FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

IN GOD WE TRUST!
Bikerman
As an interesting exercise, try substituting 'Islamic extremist' for 'redneck' to see if it still makes sense....it does to me -just substitute Quran for bible and tidy the grammar...
ocalhoun
Bikerman wrote:
As an interesting exercise, try substituting 'Islamic extremist' for 'redneck' to see if it still makes sense....it does to me -just substitute Quran for bible and tidy the grammar...

That substitution wouldn't help much, since the word 'bible' is nowhere to be found within that quote...

-Though I do agree that the grammar could use some tidying up. ^.^

@jwellsy:
Your quote is missing the sparkly eagle that must always accompany such emails.
Here, I'll help:
Bikerman
ocalhoun wrote:
Bikerman wrote:

That substitution wouldn't help much, since the word 'bible' is nowhere to be found within that quote...

-Though I do agree that the grammar could use some tidying up. ^.^

Picky picky. I meant use Quranic allusions instead of biblical ones in the first 4 stanzas.
daredninja
ocalhoun wrote:

@jwellsy:
Your quote is missing the sparkly eagle that must always accompany such emails.

Haha my thoughts exactly

It's a shame these discussions rarely bring out the middle of the line opinions...
Afaceinthematrix
Oh, God! Will this guy quit whining? I agree with parts of it, but really...

Quote:
In thirty years, if they get their way, the United States will have the economy of

I am with Ocalhoun here, he needs to back up what he says.

Quote:
I'm tired of being told that out of "tolerance for other cultures" we must let Saudi Arabia use our oil money to fund mosques and mandrassa Islamic schools to preach hate in America, while no American group is allowed to fund a church, synagogue or religious school in Saudi Arabia
to teach love and tolerance.

And what right would the States have to tell Saudi that they cannot build their mosque in their country? It might be wrong to preach hatred, but seriously... Does he actually think we have some right to go over there and tell them not to build that mosque? That is just ridiculous...

Quote:
I'm tired of being told that drug addicts have a disease, and I must help support and treat them, and pay for the damage they do. Did a giant germ rush out of a dark alley, grab them, and stuff white powder up their noses while they tried to fight it off? I don't think Gay people choose to be Gay, but I damn sure think druggies chose to take drugs. And I'm tired of harassment from cool people treating me like a freak when I tell them I never tried marijuana.

Drug addicts to have a sickness. The problem is that our country treats them live criminals. But his money would not be spent on supporting and treating them if drugs would just be legalized; the taxes that would be made on just marijuana alone would easily fund any rehabilitation center needed. Plus about 18.6 billion dollars a year would be saved on our ridiculous, freedom-killing, "War" on Drugs.

Quote:

And, no, I'm not against Hispanics. Most of them are Catholic, and it's been a few hundred years since Catholics wanted to kill me for my religion. I'm willing to fast track for citizenship any Hispanic person, who can speak English, doesn't have a criminal record and who is self-supporting without family on welfare, or who serves honorably for three years in our military.... Those are the citizens we need.

Why does he bring up religion at every single place that he can? And what does mandatory service in the military or English have to do with becoming a citizen? Those are both against supposed principles of this country. We have no official language because our founding fathers thought it would be against the idea of a country of immigrants so English isn't even the official language here! It is the dominant language but not the official! And furthermore, military service is something you're supposed to do as a service to your country (or because you need a job...).

And I must be partly redneck because I have no problem saying my beliefs... The rest don't apply to me. I have burned a flag. One Nation Under God does piss me off (so does In God We Trust on our money... I scratch out the God on every bill I receive and write "Satan" instead). Etc.