FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Top Bloggers

Ghost Rider103
To get more use out of the Blogs, I think we should change some things up on the current Blog page.

I like the list of all the recent blog posts, but there is some extra blank space on the right of the list. I think we could use this extra space to display the top bloggers. In other words, the bloggers who have the most blog posts.

This area could feature the user and their avatar, and also displaying their amount of posts and/or the area in there blog that is most active, so we can immediately go into the active area of their blog.

As of now, we would really only view the most recent ones, as I doubt any of us would really go down the list and read all of the blog titles. This way, the active bloggers would get more attention which would of course result in more use of the blog system.

What do you guys think? Anyone have any other ideas we could use to give the blogs an extra boost?
truespeed
Its a good idea,as the blogs have always been under used,i think another idea that has been mentioned in the past is the ability to delete blog posts.
alvarorojas4
I think it's a nice idea, the actual one really is ugly :l
watersoul
truespeed wrote:
Its a good idea,as the blogs have always been under used,i think another idea that has been mentioned in the past is the ability to delete blog posts.

Yep, either that or the ability to change the titles as well as content when editing them. I've popped a few posts in the wrong category myself before, and then felt silly afterwards as I couldn't change them.

Back to the OP, seems a good suggestion, but I'm not too comfortable with being in any chart list myself. I wouldn't really mind that much though, so consider me as "sitting on the fence" with this idea.
Bondings
It's a good idea, but I would prefer some kind of time aspect, like the most active blogs during the last month/months. Because a blog which was very active several years ago, but has no new posts since then, might not be best to show there.

By the way, watersoul, you can actually change the category of a blog post. I seem to have put the option in such a way that most people don't even realize it. By also putting it in the edit post page will solve a lot I guess. Anyway, if you go to the page of the blog post, to the bottom of the post is a drop down list of the categories. You need to select the new category there. (It's to the left of the 'disable replies' button) I've added the 'Change category to' text now to make it more obvious (I thought I already changed that once, maybe I simply said I was going to do it Wink ).

And yes, removing blog posts and categories is on my list of things to do, unfortunately there is a lot of other stuff on it too.
watersoul
Ah, Cheers Bondings!

I shall look harder for the solution next time before crying fail Embarassed
Ghost Rider103
Bondings wrote:
It's a good idea, but I would prefer some kind of time aspect, like the most active blogs during the last month/months. Because a blog which was very active several years ago, but has no new posts since then, might not be best to show there.

Yes, only displaying the most active blogs in the past month is a great idea!

I enjoy reading blogs, and it would be nice to see which ones are the most active without having to dig too deep. Though I'm not much of a blogger myself.
ocalhoun
Additionally, perhaps the 'similar topics' box in the bottom of a viewtopic page could also display similar blog posts...
Bondings
ocalhoun wrote:
Additionally, perhaps the 'similar topics' box in the bottom of a viewtopic page could also display similar blog posts...

They already do show blog posts too. But I guess they don't show up often because there are a lot more (like 30 times) forum posts than blog posts.
mahirh
Bondings wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

They already do show blog posts too. But I guess they don't show up often because there are a lot more (like 30 times) forum posts than blog posts.

unforunately the topics are too old
deanhills
mahirh wrote:
Bondings wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

unforunately the topics are too old
I don't find it unfortunate to have old topics, as some of those old topics (almost regularly) are actually really really good. They did some excellent topics during 2006 for example when the Forums were buzzing with activity. I have noticed that every now and then someone resuscitating an old topic of 2005-2007 that is still current and "alive". What is nice about it is that one can look at the old discussion and compare it with the most recent one. Smile