FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

AVG Steals My PC

Dennise
What exactly IS AVG doing when it takes over my PC?

I am running AVG Free version 10.0.1153 and am running out of patience with this software. I have auto update disabled in two places preferring instead, to manually update when I'm not using my PC.

More frequently now than ever before, AVG 'grabs' my PC and thrashes the hell out of my poor hard drive. When this happens, "Windows Task Manager" shows process "avgchsvx.exe" running and using about 15Mb of memory.

I have no idea of what avgchsvx.exe is, what it is doing and why my PC becomes virtually useless when avgchsvx.exe is running.

Help
Rolling Eyes
Marcuzzo
Dennise wrote:

I am running AVG Free version 10.0.1153 and am running out of patience with this software. I have auto update disabled in two places preferring instead, to manually update when I'm not using my PC.

More frequently now than ever before, AVG 'grabs' my PC and thrashes the hell out of my poor hard drive. When this happens, "Windows Task Manager" shows process "avgchsvx.exe" running and using about 15Mb of memory.

I have no idea of what avgchsvx.exe is, what it is doing and why my PC becomes virtually useless when avgchsvx.exe is running.

Help
Rolling Eyes

avgchsvx.exe is the sheduled scan
check here: http://www.avgforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=424
alvarorojas4
You can deactivate the automatic scan, or if you want use a better antivirus how Avira Free Smile
ocalhoun
*Happily uses the latest version of AVG free*

When this happens, look at the system tray icons in the lower right corner of the taskbar.
(Display all of them if you have it set up to 'hide inactive icons')
In addition to the normal AVG icon, there should be one just like it, but with a little white 'play' arrow on top of it.
Right-click the additional icon, and select either 'stop all scans' or 'pause scan', and your performance should return to normal quickly.

For a more permanent solution, you need to change the scan settings.

1- Right click the normal AVG icon.
2- Click 'Open AVG user interface'
3- Click the 'computer scanner' tab on the far left
4- Click the 'manage scheduled scans' icon in the main part of the window
5- A list of scheduled scans will be presented; if there is more than one, select the one with the soonest 'next scheduled to run' date/time.
6- Click 'edit scan schedule'
7- In the 'scheduled running' part, you have an option to run the scan daily, weekly, or monthly. (by using the 'run at specific time interval' option.)
8- Make it less frequent than it is now. (I do once a week.) (Also, set it for a day and time that you're unlikely to be using the computer. (I do wednesdays at 2am.))
9- Click 'save' at the bottom right
10- If there was more than one scheduled scan, repeat from step 5.

Additionally, you can change how much of your computer's resources are used by the scan.

-Before step 9 above, click on the 'how to scan' tab at the top.
-At the bottom of that tab, you have a slider control for 'adjust how quickly scan completes'
-Move this slider to the far left to make future scans less resource-intensive and slow your computer less.

Once that is set up properly, you shouldn't have any more problems with scans slowing you down.
menino
My friend also had this problem with AVG, which slowed down his system, until I showed him to remove the automatic scan.

AVG is ok but does not catch all the spyware around, and slows down your system to an extent, unless you have a high range processor, but its free, and thats what counts.
Dennise
Well here's how to solve - or at least manage - the AVG slow down.

- Open the AVG user interface.

- Hit your F8 key (for advanced settings)

- Look for and click on "Cache Server"

There you will see two check boxes: Caching enabled, and Enable adding new files into cache.

First try unchecking "Enable adding new files into cache", then see stops AVG from hogging your (this worked for me). Alternately, uncheck "Caching enabled".

These cache features improve AVG performance when AVG is doing it's thing. I leave them turned off, because I prefer to run AVG manually when I'm away from my PC and don't care if this makes AVG slower then.

Hope this helps someone.
Flakky
I use AVG but I disable everything except for update and resident shield. With RS running you are probably safe enough Wink
ocalhoun
menino wrote:

AVG is ok but does not catch all the spyware around,

That's because it's an anti-virus program, not an anti-spyware program.

Call me old fashioned, but I prefer to have my anti-virus and anti-spyware in two separate programs, each fully optimized for its given job.
('AVG free', and 'spyware search and destroy' are my weapons of choice.)

(And of course, any antivirus that has an always-running component will slow down the system at least slightly. I like that AVG only slows down the system slightly, as opposed to some of the heavier, multifaceted suites that slow the system down substantially. Norton in particular was notorious for that. Mcafee also, but not as badly as Norton.)