FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I love my Job but I hate my work

jilbs
Hi. Im working here in Saudi arabia and i just want to breath out my frustration at work (while on break).
My job designation is Computer Programmer, I do programs but its very rare that I code because most of the time I do general I.T. Jobs like maintaining/monitoring Servers and workstations on a regular basis.

Then suddenly, my boss asked me to do the payroll for 1400 people in out company. I thought it was easy at first but worst is everything is manual. We don't have like a swipe cards to time in and out of office. I encode the time sheets manually and its like taking most of my time to the point that i almost forget about my primary job. I told my boss to take out the payroll from my department but he refused and said he doesn't trust anyone except me.

I really love my job. but rightnow, I hate my work.

Anyone has the same problem? Im sure im not alone. Very Happy

Just thinking aloud.
PureReborn
That sucks, I'm a computer programmer too. I know I would hate it if I suddenly got placed in HR to do tedious manual work.

I dont know what to say, if your manager isn't willing to give you responsibilities related to your job description. Perhaps you should take it up with HR?
adri
jilbs wrote:

I really love my job. but rightnow, I hate my work.

Well, the solution is easy... just start searching for a new job as a computer programmer, but somewhere where your job really is to program things (or maintain computer systems). And as soon as you found your new job, you quit your old. Smile

adri
menino
That is the middle east for you in general. They try to squeeze people as much as possible.

I was in Saudi Arabia for a while, way back in 2000 - 2001, and that was from my company which was based in kuwait, and I had a lot of work to do, which was beyond my scope of responsibilities.
But I did it anyways, and to reward me, they asked me to work in Saudi Arabia, for the same salary.
I said "no thank you", and even if you'll give me a higher salary, I don't want to work in Saudi Arabia"

Its best to try and find another job, jilbs, but in Saudi Arabia, it is difficult... you could get into a worse company, but there is a chance that you might get into a better company.

Another thing to consider, is trying to implement an automated timesheet system, using the fingerprinting system or the like.

Good luck!
deanhills
I would definitely look for another job, but obviously not in Saudi. Don't even think about the UAE either. It will be the same everywhere in the Middle East. From a pay point of view you are in the right place in the Middle East, but unfortunately there are no such thing as a promotion or things getting better anywhere unless you get a better job somewhere else. If I were you, I would try and find something closer to the hub in the States or in Europe. Hub being where the most talented programmers and opportunities for challenges can be found.
Bluedoll
Manual right? Any possibility without requesting equipment for processing you can up with a program to reduce your time on it? Can anything be automated or at the very least make your data processing time less? Might be a way to go. If you can show to your boss that it is a secure system that only you can access would solve the security issue?
LittleBlackKitten
I know that feeling. I used to be a hospital security officer, and I loved doing it, except for the two extremes that most people suffer from; when absolutely NOTHING happens, and when EVERYTHING happens. I literally have had a 12 hour shift where nothing at all happens, not even one "there's some piece of nurse equipment blocking the fire exinguisher again" report, and I've had an 8 hour with 1 violent person call, 1 heart attack call, one call from psych for a seclusion entry, 4 car accidents, snow, and wildlife all over the grounds, as well as the average "that dumbass blocked the fire extinguinsher again" 12 times and 4 dead rats in the kitchen.

Yeah, I hated my work, but I loved my job. Until it got boooooring. Very Happy
deanhills
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
and I've had an 8 hour with 1 violent person call, 1 heart attack call, one call from psych for a seclusion entry, 4 car accidents, snow, and wildlife all over the grounds, as well as the average "that dumbass blocked the fire extinguinsher again" 12 times and 4 dead rats in the kitchen.
Sounds like a typical day in the life of the ER show. Wow! Amazing how energetic they are. Can't be boring at all.