FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Lack of motivation to post D:

Arty
Aah! I'm trying to keep my points above -30, and eventually get it back to being positive, but its so hard to find something to talk about in this forum. Most topics I see just ask for an opinion, or call for a debate. And I've been trying to keep back to good standing lately, because I don't want to lose my hosting.
Does anyone else have this problem with keeping up activity in forums?
Nameless
No.

Self-demonstrating lack of intelligent discussion and considered contribution in replies with a side-order of meaningless wordiness for the points for the win.
watersoul
No, I've usually got at least 2 pence worth of opinion to comment somewhere here Laughing
Nemesis234
one simple no/yes reply is enough for 1point/day and will keep your hosting.

but i know what you mean, and this isnt the first topic on this issue, but instead of moaning about it, why not come up with some topics which interest you, then you can stay active in them.
deanhills
I don't have any problems ..... of course ..... Smile I know you do your own threads now and then, but maybe it would help if you started a thread about a hobby or something that really interests you. You could perhaps ask a question about it and see where it leads you. If you can't think of anything, go and check up on the Internet as there must be Websites that you visit regularly. Perhaps some of the content can be shared at Frihost by starting a thread on it?
adri
I often find myself in the situation of typing a whole story/post and then say 'Nahhh...' while clicking on Forums to delete my post. I do have trouble to reply to stuff because it takes me ages to wright decent english sentences (trying to avoid any difficult words or grammar issues). Although my typing-skills are improving (as is my english (although americans & english people will still be annoyed by my bad english Laughing )).

Like some people already said, you have to find posts that really interest you. Try to use the search function with some keywords to find some really interesting topics (which are hopefully not to dated Smile ).

See ya on the forums Razz

adri
watersoul
adri wrote:
Although my typing-skills are improving (as is my english (although americans & english people will still be annoyed by my bad english Laughing )).

Not at all Adri, you communicate better than a lot of native English speakers in my country...even putting many of them to shame!
Vrythramax
Arty wrote:
Aah! I'm trying to keep my points above -30, and eventually get it back to being positive, but its so hard to find something to talk about in this forum. Most topics I see just ask for an opinion, or call for a debate. And I've been trying to keep back to good standing lately, because I don't want to lose my hosting.

@Arty

YOU just do the best you can and don't sweat losing your hosting. I would rather see someone post with quality, and fewer posts, than some forum troll who just posts for points and pseudo prestige. Wink
Bikerman
You beat me to it Max.
Adri - I find your postings quite comprehensible. If you would like people to offer helpful suggestions/corrections then I'll be happy to do so, but otherwise I would not dream of being a grammar-fascist, especially since English is not your first language.
Ghost Rider103
Arty wrote:

Don't any of the forums here on Frihost interest you? The forums cover nearly everything, from movies and music to deep scientific debates. There are a lot of active discussions in the Philosophy and Religion forum and more threads pop up there quite often.

As suggested, if you can't find something that interest you in any of the forums, perhaps you should create your own thread(s) and try to get a discussion going that you can be active in.

@Adri: Your English is actually quite good. Probably a lot better than you think.
standready
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Don't any of the forums here on Frihost interest you?

@Adri: Your English is actually quite good. Probably a lot better than you think.

Ghost, I will simply agree with you on both of these comments since I was thinking the same way. There are a lot of diverse forums here.
Arty
I rarely use my website anyway, so there are periods where I completely forget about Frihost.

And from time to time I notice that some topics just involve people participating just to gain points, and not to actually have a conversation, through either posting their opinion once and forgetting about the topic completely, or just answering a question.

And also, there is always that one person who quotes a long post just to get extra points. Very Happy
Nemesis234
Arty wrote:
I rarely use my website anyway, so there are periods where I completely forget about Frihost.

And from time to time I notice that some topics just involve people participating just to gain points, and not to actually have a conversation, through either posting their opinion once and forgetting about the topic completely, or just answering a question.

And also, there is always that one person who quotes a long post just to get extra points. Very Happy

words in quotes dont add to the final points for the post

you have to understand that while points are required to keep hosting, there will be people who post just for points, just rise above them, and 1 good post every 5 days will keep your hosting.
Nameless
Nemesis234 wrote:
Arty wrote:

words in quotes dont add to the final points for the post

Unfortunately. Sad

Razz
deanhills
Nemesis234 wrote:
you have to understand that while points are required to keep hosting, there will be people who post just for points, just rise above them, and 1 good post every 5 days will keep your hosting.
Not only for points, but for coins too ..... and if you get enough of those, you can get a free domain too. It all depends what you want to do. Some just love posting and the words seem to be pouring out all the time, others like points, others like coins, and others just want to keep their Websites going. Different horses for different courses ..... Smile
Afaceinthematrix
Arty wrote:
Most topics I see just ask for an opinion, or call for a debate.

LoL. Most topics just ask for an opinion or call for a debate? What other options are there? Elaborate please... It seems like the only thing you'd do in a discussion forum is discuss a topic, which can be debating, or just list your opinion and then leave the thread forever... I don't really see any other options...

And if you can find a topic that interests you, then it isn't too difficult to stay positive. Lately, I've been extremely busy but I find it still easy to keep up. I may go four or five days without posting, but you can come back and make that up quickly. You only lose one point a day and if you provide a lengthy (but try to at least make it meaningful), you can get four or five points and it will only chew up about five minutes of your time. So if you can do that a weak - or donate a mere ten minutes of your time - you can easily stay positive...

adri wrote:
(although americans & english people will still be annoyed by my bad english :lol: )).

Only asses would be annoyed. It's easy to see that you're trying your hardest and everyone knows that English is not a first language for everyone. Perhaps, if they are annoyed, they should go and try to learn a second language!
goutha
Nameless wrote:
No.

I found your answer funny... it's maybe a demonstration of lack of motivation to write clear posts in this forum Smile
Ghost Rider103
deanhills wrote:
Nemesis234 wrote:
Not only for points, but for coins too ..... and if you get enough of those, you can get a free domain too. It all depends what you want to do. Some just love posting and the words seem to be pouring out all the time, others like points, others like coins, and others just want to keep their Websites going. Different horses for different courses ..... Smile

Not to mention it's also very easy to pick out the posters who are just posting for coins.

Before I was a moderator, I would also just skip over those users posts to avoid wasting my time. Though now I try to read all of the users post just in case one needs spam canned.

Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Arty wrote:
Most topics I see just ask for an opinion, or call for a debate.

LoL. Most topics just ask for an opinion or call for a debate? What other options are there? Elaborate please... It seems like the only thing you'd do in a discussion forum is discuss a topic, which can be debating, or just list your opinion and then leave the thread forever... I don't really see any other options...

I agree, there really aren't many other different types of topics. However a lot of the topics here (In the General Chat) don't ever really have any trend to them. It's hard to keep a discussing going on a topic like "Are muffins better than bread" unless you really are interested in why muffins are better than bread. I personally (I'm sure a lot of other people would feel the same way) don't care why a muffin is better than bread (or vise versa). Knowing which is better for you is good enough for me. I think this happens on a lot of topics in the General Chat.

But when you go onto other forums that are a specific genre, I think the topic quality increases much as it's more specific to something you're interested in, given the fact that you only go into forum categories that interest you.
Vrythramax
Not everyone who posts here is looking to debate a topic, some just seek simple conversation with people of a like mind. I had this in mind once myself, oh I would debate, but it wasn't my sole mind of posting.

It seems Frihost has a small clique of users who post on everything, incite debating, and are a general pain in the ass to ALL users.

The point of these forums is to discuss, debate on singular topics will happen...but it's not the end-all-be-all of the forums.

In case some of you have lost the point....it's "posting for hosting"...NOT "my main way of showing I exist".
Ghost Rider103
Vrythramax wrote:
In case some of you have lost the point....it's "posting for hosting"...NOT "my main way of showing I exist".

I think I would have to disagree, as "Posting for Hosting" could surely decrease the quality of posts even more.

There are a lot of people here who no longer post for the hosting. I don't really use my hosting anymore, and if I one day decided to cancel my hosting account here, I would still be an active member. Despite being a moderator.

Though I wouldn't say I am posting for "showing I exist." I simply post because of the great community and the great discussions that interest me (when I find them). To me, Frihost is like a secondary social-networking website of users that are all (for the most part) interested in design and development, and also has benefits. The benefits being free hosting and domains, of course.
Bikerman
I think it depends on which forum we are talking about.
I agree with Max that some forums are not really for heavy debate, but I think that some are. Philosophy and religion, for example, is one where I would expect to find pretty heavy debate, whereas this forum is not.
missdixy
I kind of go through phases. Sometimes it seems like there is a lot to say and reply to and etc. but other times it feels like there's really nothing to talk about/no topics in which I feel interested in replying to or getting involved in the discussion...it just depends.
watersoul
^^ (Bikerman) Yep, definitely, some issues are far more controversial than others and they inflame passions that result in drawn out 5 point posts as replies.
I do post for points sometimes, but equally I post simply for my comment to be shared at other times.

General Chat is obviously an easy post for points area, but it can also be a post for opinions area if the topic is related to something that an individual is passionate about.
Vrythramax
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
... I think I would have to disagree, as "Posting for Hosting" could surely decrease the quality of posts even more.

Well when I review an application for hosting I have to go by the "5 QUALITY posts" rule, and believe me I dismiss more applications than I grant. If I see that the person is being deliberatly negative or argumentative...they won't get hosting. I deny some applicants who have 30 or 40 posts...but the posts don't conform to Frihost policy so I won't count them.

I don't agree with you at all on this one GhostRider103.
the-guide
It's not your duty but it's your hobby!!!

Certainly, you will try if you just try to keep your points but you will enjoy it you like to join with other.
I felt like you as well at first time I came here but finally I found that not all members here are trying to
post just to keep their points (of course some are doing that), in fact many thread discuss here are so
interesting and useful. Just look for something you're interested, join with them and you will enjoy.

Also, I found that members who just post for hosting always abandon and leave sooner or later.

Wink
jmlworld
It was long ago since I hit the maximum 45 points. I've recently found out that my points don't exceed 20 at most, but my problem is different.

I work 14 hours a day and its hard for me to keep an eye on forums. However, I visit here once or twice per week and I can at least find an interesting topic to reply.

Its possible to find an interesting topic since there's a dedicated forum for almost everything; life style, sports, religion, politics, software, and of course a general forum for those who are bored.
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
There are a lot of people here who no longer post for the hosting. I don't really use my hosting anymore, and if I one day decided to cancel my hosting account here, I would still be an active member. Despite being a moderator.

Though I wouldn't say I am posting for "showing I exist." I simply post because of the great community and the great discussions that interest me (when I find them). To me, Frihost is like a secondary social-networking website of users that are all (for the most part) interested in design and development, and also has benefits. The benefits being free hosting and domains, of course.
Totally agreed Ghost Rider. Probably why I am posting here as well. Initially it was to get Website space, but I got hooked by a sense of community. I also love posting. Now and then there are hurdles put in the way, as there usually always are in any place where people congregate, but in the total picture this is a good place to be with an awesome Host.

I think there are quite a large number of Frihosters who are posting because of the same reason. their postings may not all be of a high standard, but is that really the be all? Just nice to see them posting. Sometimes they only have one-liners to offer, other times they have a little more to say. In the end it is the total picture that matters the most and all the characters finding their place and making Frihost their home.
Bluedoll
@Arty
Does anyone else have this problem with keeping up activity in forums? - and not to actually have a conversation - Arty
Not sure I understand your question to be honest, sorry. If you are reading this I have a question for you Arty. If you are interested in ‘a conversation’ what course of action would you consider? I mean, take right here in this post for example. Would you be willing to converse here with me? I don’t mind dialogue going in any direction you would like. Waiting your for your response ok. If you want to move on to something else that’s ok too, just wondering.
I am seriously thinking here too, what interest or topic would motivate, since I think everyone in the world faces these kinds of challenges as well?

As she sits by her computer she wonders to herself.
“I am wondering, how the dialogue will go with Arty,” she mumbles?

Ghost Rider103 wrote:
. . a lot of the topics here (In the General Chat) don't ever really have any trend to them. It's hard to keep a discussing going on a topic like "Are muffins better than bread" unless you really are interested in why muffins are better than bread. I personally (I'm sure a lot of other people would feel the same way) don't care why a muffin is better than bread (or vise versa). Knowing which is better for you is good enough for me. I think this happens on a lot of topics in the General Chat.
Since I am the originator of the post “Are muffins better than bread” I would like to say something about this post. It is true, it is not one of the more controversial topics a member might find on the forum but then not all posts have to be?
However, if we want to look at this particular post as an example of posts in the general chat section can we consider this one point as well. The original start to that topic laid grounds to more than simple interest in grain foods. It would allow the post to could go in many different directions depending on where the followers of the thread wanted to go. The air of the post, I will agree is not inline with say challenging debate styles in other posts but is more lite and generally not so focused as say as other more specific posts.

Smile
I would not qualify it as a super post but then there remains some questions for me. In order to qualify a post as a ‘discussible’ , what qualities need it contain to qualify?
Some of the more heavy duty robust posts can be a complete turn off for a lot of members. To qualify posts as having topical advantage in regards to motivation is questionable in itself because not every member is interested in the exact same thing?
A good variety of posts and post styles however does lead to motivation? Anyone have an opinion?
deanhills
@Bluedoll. I personally like your Muffin thread. But I can also understand that some people may have little interest in it, as they may not have an interest in food, or in muffins, or in muffins as a controversial subject. I really like food. I'm not that much into muffins right now, but have gone through periods where I have loved it, particularly in a place like Vancouver, BC where people are really into muffins in a big way. That and bagels. So may be a good idea to start something on bagels later on? Or what do you like for breakfast? The latter would especially be easy for people who find it difficult to post, and simple topics like that would probably be easy for them to respond to. So the muffin thread was actually a good one for people in that category too ..... Smile
ProfessorY91
Nemesis234 wrote:

I would never do that. Ever.

In response to the OP's question: Yes, definitely yes. I'm trying to keep my hosting account alive too (although I'm a bit more paranoid about it than you seem to be. I tend to maintain an absolute maximum low of -15. After I get the second email, I get back on here only to find that the General Chat forum is full of stuff that I don't really have an opinion on. Hence these long and excessively wordy posts about how I need to get more points. Circular reasoning and redundancy for the win, until an interesting topic is at hand.
Nameless
ProfessorY91 wrote:
Nemesis234 wrote:

I would never do that. Ever.

Disagree!
LittleBlackKitten
One word posts a day might keep you afloat, but when you've gotten low in the red there, it's disconcerting. Plus, most people actually want to post and give input if they're here; it is the main point of a forum, and those that chose to be here, ejnoy forums; even the lure of free hosting isn't enough if one can't stand, or don't enjoy, forums.

So, I do relate to you, Arty. It IS hard to post, especially when topics, are, like, "what are YOU listening to?" or whathaveyou. It inspires a "Kay....really? No thanks." most of the time.

I've learned to just answer as if one of my friends came to me and said/asked me the same thing. I also answer like I'm playing counsellor yet again to a friend or family member's problem.

If its a little dry for my likes, I ask whatever is in my head.
soljarag
I have been forgetting about Frihost the past couple of months too Smile I am not down about 20 points so I'm trying to post about 5 replys each day at work Smile
goutha
It's a recurrent problem for all the forums on frihost.

I think that we need new motivated members.

When you've been around for several years, topics start to be the same every time you visit the site.

New members will bring new ideas.

Now, why there's no more new members as it was in the past (I mean an important number of new members)?
standready
goutha wrote:

If that is the case, what are you doing to help draw in new members?
goutha
standready wrote:
goutha wrote:

If that is the case, what are you doing to help draw in new members?

Other than talking about frihost to friends, I cannot do much... this is not my job, and I am not the owner of the site.

Maybe that the founder should make more efforts to talk about frihost and do some publicity... Maybe that he's already doing this effort withour any result, I don't know!
deanhills
goutha wrote:
Other than talking about frihost to friends, I cannot do much... this is not my job, and I am not the owner of the site.

Maybe that the founder should make more efforts to talk about frihost and do some publicity... Maybe that he's already doing this effort withour any result, I don't know!
I'm sure you must have noticed that he is paying an active interest right now. Posts have been increasing, there is some excitement in the air about coins and getting free domains. I just hope we can get new members too. Anyone you know that could join Frihost?
PGe-tips
I admid ! In deed I post mostly to keep my points on the positive side.
Once a week I start a topic which I try to monitor , seems most people have other interests or just reply for points.
I consider this as a kind of labour ...and follow other forums more intense because the interest sphere matches my mine better.
LostOverThere
goutha wrote:

At present Frihost has over 69000 members, with just shy of 1,000,000 posts. I'd say Frihost as a community is doing fairly well. Wink
Bluedoll
LostOverThere wrote:
goutha wrote:

At present Frihost has over 69000 members, with just shy of 1,000,000 posts. I'd say Frihost as a community is doing fairly well. Wink
I agree with goutha that since the site is owned and managed by a selective group, it may well be their responsibility to promote it. However, depending on how much a member feels part of a community they might be inclined to help in that direction. Sometimes it works out for all parties, management team, membership base and self interest.

I think as far as message boards go in general Frihost Forum does well (I’ve seen message boards completely disappear) however also think the 'status' are out of range? Although the number of posts may be accurate, I am not sure the member number is connected with 'current' active membership?
deanhills
Bluedoll wrote:
Although the number of posts may be accurate, I am not sure the member number is connected with 'current' active membership?
Agreed. I guess all one has to do is check the number of posters who have coins, and then add a percentage on to that to make allowance for members who always post under 45 points. So it could probably be anything from 600 to 800 (on the conservative side) or 1000 (on the liberal side) active posters.
Keran
I gotta say, that judging from my current points (-530,50), I might have lost my motivation for quite some time now. But I'm planning to get back.
Maybe I needed a break, because back when I use to post a lot, the number of threads that interested me, after a while tend to decrease quickly and it was rather a tiring duty just to keep my points up. No wonder though, 'cause most threads were about pointless things, like mentioned before 'what are you listening to', and the good ones were a rarity.

But that was long time ago, now I'm hoping there'll be plenty more cool threads for me to post ;]
deanhills
spinout wrote:
Then the moderators... Laughing
Ahhhh what a brave lad you are Spinout .....! Wish I could hear the words that were replaced by the dots. Smile
spinout
Lack of motivation, yes it is there.

post to host - that is a unusual idea - specially when the hosting is average in quality.

First to the .tk adress, 5 secs - then the frihost adress, 5 secs. Also the site is hard or tricky to get access too for updating. Ok it is free - so that is ok by that.

Then the hosters has no special intrest in the forum - ok that is not bad since you get the variety...

Then the moderators... Laughing
spinout
Strange, why is the reply to my brave post before my post in time? 2 hours difference...

we Sweds talk hard - not unpolite - just straught forward. It doesn't mean more than we just say/write...

It really doesn't matter how it is moderated here, just saying I get a laugh at it once n twice. Mostly I have trouble with getting myself understandable.
deanhills
spinout wrote:
Strange, why is the reply to my brave post before my post in time? 2 hours difference...
I have asked the same question in the Support Forum but have not received an answer yet .... Smile
Quote:
OK. There has to be a problem now. Just happened to me again in the General Chat Forum. My post positioned itself above the post I had quoted and was responding to:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-120391-2.html

Sharp of you to pick up on it, thanks for point it out! Smile