FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

A choice few photos from a recent extremely difficult hike.

ocalhoun
These pictures were all taken along the way as I hiked -- without trails of course -- up the tallest mountain in the region, Harney Peak. The hike was only 2 miles one way, but it was over extremely difficult terrain, and had a vertical rise of over 2000ft, again, one way... So I was very worn out by the end.
(I hiked from about 5200ft to the peak, at 7200ft and back, according to the gps. Not too difficult, except there was a constant supply of fallen trees and boulders in my way.)

First, a picturesque little spot... in a vaguely far-east type of way,

Here, I found a nice little waterfall. It's extremely hard to get to, and may never have been photographed before,

A pristine little pool above that waterfall,

The waterfall, viewed from above. You can see the pool at the bottom of it from here. If only it were a hot day, and if only it was actually possible to get there, it would make a great swimming spot,

Here's a view of the cliffs towering over the area of that waterfall,

A hastily-put-together panorama showing the whole outcropping, since it was too big for just one picture,

Further up, I found this superbly balanced boulder.
It doesn't look like much, until you notice the trees and get a sense of its scale,

Nearly to the top, here's the view back along the way I came.

I can see my car from here!
Don't believe me? I'll do the crime-show-esque thing and say "enhance"

"enhance"

"enhance"
My car is the little silver speck just below the loop in the road.

On the way back, I found this. It is an important reminder to be wary, as the mountain-sharks can get very large in this area,
jwellsy
That creek with all that bedrock around is begging for a gold pan.
ocalhoun
jwellsy wrote:
That creek with all that bedrock around is begging for a gold pan.

I hadn't thought of it, but yes, it certainly is...
Especially because this general area has been heavily mined for gold in the past, mostly in places with similar rock... And being so inaccessible, it probably hasn't been picked through much yet at all.
Blaster
Good photos. I would love to go out there and be able to do that. I like to boulder (a form of rock climbing without rope where you don't go to high). This place looks like it would be an awesome place to boulder.
watersoul
Lol, love the "mountain shark pic" Smile

Seriously though, amazing pics and cheers for sharing them, makes our little mole hill mountains here look rather sorry for themselves!
...you've gotta try and get a dip in the waterfall pool next summer.
ocalhoun
Blaster wrote:
Good photos. I would love to go out there and be able to do that. I like to boulder (a form of rock climbing without rope where you don't go to high). This place looks like it would be an awesome place to boulder.

An awesome place to yes, not only recreationally; I had to scramble over boulders to get where I was going... Take the waterfall pic for example, to get that picture, I had to climb on top of a very round, perhaps 30ft high rock, then lean over the edge of it.
There were boulders in the way very frequently, especially near the waterfall area, where there appeared to be a very old, very huge rock-slide... It must have been terrifying when it happened, as sharp rocks the size of houses must have been rolling down the hill. It was so long ago that the rocks are now worn and rounded though. In that area, I was constantly going over, around, and sometimes even under boulders of all sizes. -- At a couple points, my path was blocked by two huge rocks next to each other, leaving just a small hole in between them as the only path.
To top it all off, the very top of the mountain is a solid rock dome, so I had to pass, and climb, a ring of cliffs around it. That was difficult indeed; it took me perhaps half an hour to find a place easy enough to climb up, given the hindrance of my pack. --Kinda scary climbing a 20-30ft section of cliff with only a grappling hook, with the view of a steep 2000ft slope behind you!
watersoul wrote:
Lol, love the "mountain shark pic" Smile

The area that was in has lots of oddly-shaped, jagged rocks like that... and many of them lend themselves well to interpreting the shapes as objects. That one was particularly fun though.
Quote:

Seriously though, amazing pics and cheers for sharing them, makes our little mole hill mountains here look rather sorry for themselves!

Well, that one is particularly big... It's the highest peak between the rocky mountains to the West and the European Alps to the East. Most of the mountains in the area aren't quite so grand.
-This is an extremely old mountain range, and it is very, very eroded... When it was young, this mountain must have been a true giant.
Quote:

...you've gotta try and get a dip in the waterfall pool next summer.

A bit out-of-the-way for just a swim... (It takes around 3 hours of hard hiking to get there.) But perhaps when my family visits next summer, I'll take some of them there... I'll bring a gold pan too. ^.^
standready
Great photos, ocalhoun!

ocalhoun wrote:
Further up, I found this superbly balanced boulder.
It doesn't look like much, until you notice the trees and get a sense of its scale,

You should of leaned against it for a picture - oops! LOL

ocalhoun wrote:
On the way back, I found this. It is an important reminder to be wary, as the mountain-sharks can get very large in this area,

I am hearing the theme from "Jaws" now! It's not safe to go into the forest!
Da Rossa
Oh my God that's so fantastic standready!
I wish we had such mountains here in Brazil. In here, things are beautiful, but more "plane". Only a few waterfalls and such.

Excelent adventure! Very Happy
c'tair
Very nice man, very nice indeed. I wish I could allow myself a hike like that but I'm swamped with work and gonna go to school soon, so I have to wait a few months at least.

But I'm already planning two things: Mt. Marcy - highest peak in NY state with a trail about 15 miles long both ways and Polish Tatra mountains (a variety of peaks) in the summer time. I'm in pretty good shape so I should handle the adventure quite well but there is one thing I severely lack:

A good camera!

Yep, I only have a 5mpx phone camera which isn't the worst out there but there's a loooong way from a phone camera to a real nice digital camera to get all the details of the places.

But I'll share one pic with you from my summer hiking:
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/4043/201007032082.jpg

Very Happy
ocalhoun
c'tair wrote:
Very nice man, very nice indeed. I wish I could allow myself a hike like that but I'm swamped with work and gonna go to school soon, so I have to wait a few months at least.

There's always weekends. I work 45-60 hours a week, with a 1 hour, 1-way commute, and still find time. ^.^
Quote:

But I'm already planning two things: Mt. Marcy - highest peak in NY state with a trail about 15 miles long both ways and Polish Tatra mountains (a variety of peaks) in the summer time. I'm in pretty good shape so I should handle the adventure quite well

But I'll share one pic with you from my summer hiking:
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/4043/201007032082.jpg

O.o climbing across a glacial valley like that would be really hard work!
From the looks of that picture, it would take me a whole day just to cross that one valley... if I even could at all.

Quote:
but there is one thing I severely lack:

A good camera!

If I may make a suggestion, I took these pictures with an olympus 1050SW

As you can see, it takes decent photos... but the really nice thing is that it is waterproof and rugged.
I've used it to take photos underwater, and I've dropped it on rocks several times, and nothing happened to it except a few scratches on the paint.
Since it's so durable, I'm able to keep it always attached to the top of my walking stick, so it's always handy.
Sure they cost more than a comparable, non-rugged camera... but for a hiker/biker/horse rider/off-roader/caver/et cetera, it gives a lot of peace of mind, and lets you take pictures without worrying about the camera at all.
(And even when you're not putting it at risk, it's fun to have a camera that's actually made of metal, and held together with screws.)

Da Rossa wrote:
In here, things are beautiful, but more "plane". Only a few waterfalls and such.

Well, this area is mostly rather plain as well... These photos are the highlights of a 10 hour hike, in the most interesting terrain in the area.

If you want to see the cool stuff, you have to go out and work to find it.
andysart380
im not sure if you can even call that a hike... very cool scenery i must say..as for the hasty panorama... shhhh, nobody can tell.. hahahah
ocalhoun
andysart380 wrote:
im not sure if you can even call that a hike...

Of course it's a hike... It's just a real hike, not just a short walk in the woods along a nature trail.
deanhills
Amazing photos Ocalhoun and thanks for the photos of the camera, am going to check up whether I can get one like that in the ME. Exactly how do you tackle those boulders when you are climbing them? Do you hammer in hooks and do you wear a helmet for example? I can imagine you must have a First Aid kit with you too and lots of stuff to carry on your back? What kind of food would you eat on your trip?
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Exactly how do you tackle those boulders when you are climbing them? Do you hammer in hooks and do you wear a helmet for example?

No to both.
These particular ones, I climbed freehand (not easy with a heavy pack).
I was, however, both hindered and helped by trees that fell across them.
At one rather exciting point, I walked along an angled tree trunk like a balance beam, but it ended a few feet short of the boulder I was trying to get on, so I had to jump from the end of it to the top of the boulder.
Going through stuff like that is difficult and time consuming... but very fun.

Sometimes, if there are no convenient foot and hand-holds, I can use my 'secret weapon' for climbing:
A collapsible grappling hook, with 50ft of rope. All the components can hold more than 250lbs, quite enough for me (150lbs) + my pack (around 60lbs)... Including the convenient carabiner clips on both ends and the middle of the rope.
It really is awesome to have a practical use for a grappling hook! ^.^
Quote:
I can imagine you must have a First Aid kit with you too and lots of stuff to carry on your back? What kind of food would you eat on your trip?

I carry an IFAK, US army individual first aid kit (because it's cheap, widely available, and set up to handle traumatic injuries, unlike most first aid kits which are optimized for scrapes and bruises). I also enhance that with a few extra bandages, extra water purifier, extra antiseptic, and an added snake bite kit.

For food, I'll usually carry just a few pop-tarts for quick energy (which I intend to eat). I also carry 2 US military MRE (meals ready to eat), for emergency rations. At well over 1000 calories each, plus a few extra supplements I carry, they're good enough for 2 days of work, or 3 to 4 days of sitting around doing nothing. (I'm a light eater.) They also come with water-activated heaters, which could come in handy for surviving cold nights.
For longer term, I carry a pistol, fishing supplies, and cooking supplies, and I know the useful fact that pine sap (chewed like gum) or green pine needles (brewed in tea) are excellent sources of vitamins.
I also carry around 3 liters of water, plus lots of purification tablets in case I need more. (2 month supply, more or less, without my long-stay supplement bag.)
It's a bit overkill really, but it gives me a safety margin... The rule of three is, you can live: 3 minutes without air, 3 hours in extreme weather without shelter, 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food. Not precise of course, but it gives a good guideline for how long you can go before you begin a hard-to-stop downward spiral.

I really should get around to making that topic I've been thinking about... One just to show the gear I carry and use.
tingkagol
Ocalhoun wrote:
I really should get around to making that topic I've been thinking about... One just to show the gear I carry and use.

That would be pretty interesting to see Ocalhoun. I'm no survivalist of any kind (I only dream to be), and seeing how you do it makes me feel like I can too- although probably I'll never give myself the chance.
ocalhoun
tingkagol wrote:
Ocalhoun wrote:

That would be pretty interesting to see Ocalhoun. I'm no survivalist of any kind (I only dream to be), and seeing how you do it makes me feel like I can too- although probably I'll never give myself the chance.

Well, I have free time this week... I think I'll make that my project.
Too cold to go outside much anyway right now.
I'll warn you- it's surprisingly expensive...
Even though most of my gear is used, from ebay, craigslist, or garage sales, It still cost me around $200 to $400 (and 2 years of upgrading and tinkering) to assemble this pack (not counting electronics like camera and gps)... and there's still things that I want to add to it, like more ammo, better medical supplies, maybe a better fire-starting kit...
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
I wish you would. I'm totally bowled over with the perfection of your details. You also have to be pretty strong as well as have a great sense of coordination and balance to be able to carry all of that kit, and jump from a tree trunk to a boulder. Great stuff Ocalhoun. Maybe this is something that you could also patent and do a business with?
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
I wish you would. I'm totally bowled over with the perfection of your details. You also have to be pretty strong as well as have a great sense of coordination and balance to be able to carry all of that kit, and jump from a tree trunk to a boulder. Great stuff Ocalhoun. Maybe this is something that you could also patent and do a business with?

Well... I have entertained the idea of having 'wilderness guide / outfitter' as a career choice.
Then, I could do for profit what I now do for fun... though I would have to bring other people along... often obnoxious people probably. Confused

Hmm... Out of curiosity, how much would you pay someone to be your guide for a hike like that one?
And how much would you pay to rent equipment for it?
Ankhanu
I dunno why I haven't posted in here since you made the thread, but, there are some great shots in here, especially for a point-n-shoot camera Smile
I really enjoy the rugged stone here; it's reminiscent of some of the areas in the national park I work in... but with VERY different vegetation Smile Looks like one hell of a nice hike.
ato784
Wow. Those photos are amazing! I wish that I had a view like that in my area, all i have are pine trees... and a few maple here and there.
imera
Wow, amazing view, I have taken some difficult hikes myself, and just love the things I find, looks like you have stumbled across a magical road XD
deanhills
Ha! Another great Ocalhoun action adventure thread that deserves to be bumped. Smile
Joseph1
Very good.
wellerchap
Great stuff Ocalhoun....I really must kick myself up the backside again and get out their amongst it all....too many hours sitting at the pc or watching TV over winter have made me go soft Crying or Very sad
nigam
wow!!! excelllent photos and views indeed....if only we have like that here...i usually go to there and im pretty sure that it is a stress reliever....thanks for sharing the photos man!!!