FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Project Issues

LittleBlackKitten
I am having project issues. I get to make up a Luxury Goods Company and "make" them a website on Fireworks. I also make up what they sell, but I don't know what to do. Toss in your votes and opinions and I will pick one when I start the project at 1:00 pm PST, just under 2 hours from now. Anything, even silly ones - I will pick the awesomest one, let you know I've picked you, and post the assignment here for your glory.

Note, it wll be deleted as soon as I pass the course for space reasons up in the hosting zone.
watersoul
Diamond covered stuff? Laughing

Diamond coated toilet...

Diamond coated ipod...

http://www.slipperybrick.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/diamond-gold-ipod-shuffle.jpg

Diamond coated earphones...

http://www.trendygadget.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/diamond-headphone-covers.jpg
LittleBlackKitten
Well, since only one person replied, I went with my original idea, flying cars. Yeah. Anyone want to see it anyways, once I'm done?
adri
Yeah, I would like to see the result. Smile Is it just designing or also coding?

adri
LittleBlackKitten
Right now I am in Adobe Fireworks, so it is program and function. I am not really supposed to be focusing on design as in aesthetics, but I try to anyway Laughing. I will post it once I figure out how to post animated GIFs on a page and confirm that it actually works...lol

EDIT:But I -can- hand code if I need to, at least on a basic level Very Happy
Ghost Rider103
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
Well, since only one person replied, I went with my original idea, flying cars. Yeah. Anyone want to see it anyways, once I'm done?

Yes, it would be interesting to see what you come up with.

Maybe post it in the "design tips" if you need help. Or use the Graphics forum if you want to be critiqued on design.

Or just posting it here would be fine, considering the topic is already here.

Good luck.
adri
Or if you need any (XHTML/CSS/Wordpress) coding help, just ask. Razz

adri
watersoul
I've always been waiting for the flying cars, was my big wish from "future" comics and stuff as a child.

...loads better than my diamond "bling" suggesstion! Laughing
standready
LittleBlackKitten wrote:

Sorry, I have had some sad news so was not able to focus on creativity. I would be very interested in seeing your flying car.
LittleBlackKitten
Ok guys here goes! D:

http://camerakitten.frihost.org/index.htm

Edit: Note, I had to stick to a certain resolution size and could not change the annoying white background.
adri
A few things I noticed...

• The title of the webpages should not be '....htm.gif' but the name of the Website or something like that (Ex.: Audi - About)
  • You should make the logo (top left corner) clickable, so you can always return to the homepage (a.k.a. the page with the steering wheel and the motorblock).
  • Maybe code your website so that the lay-out appears in the middle?

I changed
    Code:
    <table style="display: inline-table;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="780">

to
    Code:
    <table style="margin: 0 auto;width: 780px;display: block;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">

PS: You misspelled subject on the first page (the page with 'You are cleared for...').

adri
deanhills
I'm not a coder, but is there a way where you can make the link area stand out more. Took me a while to "click" there was more than just a static pic. Also, if it is doable, would be nice to feel the car actually "flying" with speed and those words flashing as though they are calling the person who enters the Website to click on them.
Ghost Rider103
You have a great start.

I'd agree with Dean though, you should probably make the links stand out more. I'll be honest, when I first went to the website I too was a bit confused whether or not I should click the image. Out of curiosity I did click the image.

It really has the feel of a flash website. I actually thought it was until I seen the .html in the link. Maybe make the links in the navigation buttons light up when you mouse-over them so it is more obvious.

Like Adri suggested, you should always have a way to navigate back to home.

But this isn't anything permenant, so I wouldn't bother making the changes unless it was necessary for the project. But these are some suggestions you might want to take into consideration on your next project or if you ever decide to build a website.

To make the website feel more like an actual website other than just an image, centering it in the page would also help a lot.

Great work though. I just like to nit-pick at web design. Razz
LittleBlackKitten
I was just following orders with file names and such; I could only create the content and design,everything else was controlled. I am not supposed to use flash. Also, as this is a school assignment, please don't change anything, you could get me failed! The coding is straight form Default Fireworks.
Bikerman
It might help if you explain exactly what the brief is. Without knowing the details of the assignment it is difficult to make specific recommendations about how to meet the criteria...
LittleBlackKitten
Well, good news, I got 85% on it, she told me "next time" to make the splash page more obviously clickable, to darken the grey background a bit, add in some drop down menus and rollovers and make the nav buttons into a longer navigation BAR like a bumper. I like the ideas but I passed so yay!

Edit: Now that I have passed that project, the files have been deleted.
Ghost Rider103
Well that wasn't on your server for very long! Laughing

Congratulations on the grade, that isn't too bad. Especially in the amount of time you did it in. I figured you wouldn't of been done for at least a couple of days.

At least you got some good examples for next time. Navigation is a pretty important element on a website. It needs to be very clear and visible.

Again, good job!
standready
Oh no, it's gone! I missed it! Congratulations on your score.
LittleBlackKitten
Deleted quicker because of the Audi Images >.>;
deanhills
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
Well, good news, I got 85% on it, she told me "next time" to make the splash page more obviously clickable, to darken the grey background a bit, add in some drop down menus and rollovers and make the nav buttons into a longer navigation BAR like a bumper. I like the ideas but I passed so yay!

Edit: Now that I have passed that project, the files have been deleted.
Congratulations! Look forward to seeing the next assignment! Smile If I may ask, is this part of a course you are taking and what is the course about?
LittleBlackKitten
I am just through the Adobe Fireworks section of my Web Design course. I should be done completely in Jauary or February, but as far as assignments go, since everyone likes to see them, I will post them here for a time! Very Happy
adri
Yeah, it would be nice to see your progress. Smile What other programs do you need to know for your course? And are you going to learn XHTML/CSS in this course? Because I find it important that web designers know the code and are independent of whatever application. (at least for the coding) It also makes it easier to track bugs and to edit some lines of code in the files. Smile

Congrats with the 85%. Razz

adri
LittleBlackKitten
I have been through XHTML and CSS basics, yes; I can hand code and edit if need be, at least on a very basic level, but now they are teaching me the various programs involved. Next is Flash Basics...
LittleBlackKitten
Assignment two in flash basics! (assignment 1 was just an intro)

Right, so this is what I sent my teacher for assignment 2:

Welcome to the insanity that is my brain when told to "have fun" and "explore the tools"!

If you open the file, I will point you to the background - after the sunset there. That is a row of buildings in the distance, which is many manipulations of one symbol. Further in the front, you will see a few buildings, of which all have their own symbol, as do the windows. On the leftmost building, City Hall, you will notice a sniper aiming at the Kong Tower, which has been covered by my own, as the building art didn't match my own, and as I didn't yet know how to fix that, I just covered it up.

Now, attempting to save Gotham City, you can spot Batman and Robin scaling the side of the building like old times.

Once you're done watching Kong thrash about, you can spot a sniper on the roof of the observatory, and another atop the Hotel, in a prime location for the job.

Looking to the next layer, on the road, lies a long-since abandoned car accident, and it looks like the truck owner bought a Chev instead of a Dodge or Ford, and that minivan totally redesigned the front end! Shame, maybe next time he will get a GOOD truck!

I hope you enjoy what my brain does when told to let loose!...

http://littleblackkitten.deviantart.com/art/Flash-Assignment-Basics-185275715
deanhills
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
I am just through the Adobe Fireworks section of my Web Design course. I should be done completely in Jauary or February, but as far as assignments go, since everyone likes to see them, I will post them here for a time! Very Happy
Good for you! Wish I could do a course like that too. Is it a well known organization in Canada that is giving the course? Or part of a College course?
adri
Good work LittleBlackKitten! King Kong actually moves pretty smooth. Smile Although you're talking about Batman and Robin climbing on the side of a building, but I don't really see them? I also love the explaining text you wrote. Laughing

Keep up the good work!

adri :p
LittleBlackKitten
Next Flash Assignment: I had to make a banner ad for the anti smoking thing and had to use tweens. Note: I was not asked to make it seemless, and JUST ADD basic tweens, without editing them, to see how they work, and assignment 4 is about FIXING the errors, so IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE jerky like that Very Happy

http://littleblackkitten.deviantart.com/art/Third-Assignment-185511528

It is a community college of sorts, not really well known.

Batman and Robin are really small and are scaling King Tower like their show in the 80's
standready
Nice work, LittleBlackKitten. Don't think Batman and Robin are too small, scaled pretty well to the building.
Vrythramax
-moved- to the "Advertise Your Website" forum.
LittleBlackKitten
I would appreciate it if this could be moved back, I'm not advertising my website, I'm getting project feedback. I guess I will just open a new topic.