FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

You lose points when you edit out your posts...

saratdear
but it still tell me I "earned" points.

I noticed it today when I edited one of my posts for removing a word...and although the next page told me I "earned" 0.01xxx points, I actually lost that amount.

Just a tiny suggestion..couldn't it be changed? Or is it built in to phpBB?
Bondings
If you remove words, you normally lose points and if you add words, you gain points. There might be some small bugs, though, like the one you mentioned, unfortunately.
saratdear
Bondings wrote:
If you remove words, you normally lose points and if you add words, you gain points. There might be some small bugs, though, like the one you mentioned, unfortunately.

I know that...what I was telling was, couldn't that page be changed so it says whether you lost or gained points, accordingly?
Blaster
Hmm I never noticed that... I agree fixing that bug would be nice so that other people will now also know that
watersoul
Lol, I agree, it is really worth the effort of progamming to create a message that will let me know that I lost points after I'd deleted words in an edit Laughing
Peterssidan
I think it's better to keep it the way it is. If people see they lose points by correcting their posts they might not want to correct it.
ocalhoun
Peterssidan wrote:
I think it's better to keep it the way it is. If people see they lose points by correcting their posts they might not want to correct it.

An excellent point.

Doesn't the cash mod have a feature that lets you turn on/off gaining points when editing?
It may be best to just make it so that no points are gained or lost when editing... The changes are usually minuscule anyway.
adri
ocalhoun wrote:
It may be best to just make it so that no points are gained or lost when editing...

Wouldn't do that either... People could misuse that system by posting something very large which gives them the five points and then instantly editing their post to something that has a connection with the topic (something easy and short).

I think it's best to just leave it as it is. Smile Or maybe deleting the whole 'You earned xx points in this post' and direct the people at once to the topic? But I guess some people would rather have the 'You earned xx points'-message to see how many points they gained (or lost Razz )...

adri
Ghost Rider103
I agree with Adri, I think too many people would abuse the system.

I think it's fine to leave it how it is and just fix it when Bondings has the time. It's quite obvious anyways when you remove text from your post you'll loose frihs and points. I noticed the error a long time ago, but didn't think it was really worth suggesting as I'm sure Bondings was aware of the issue.
sonam
Quote:
Or maybe deleting the whole 'You earned xx points in this post' and direct the people at once to the topic?

This is great idea and the best solution for me. We don't need to know how many points are get from post. BTW script round this points on two decimals or something similar. The second good side of removing this message is faster forums.

Sonam
deanhills
sonam wrote:
Quote:
Or maybe deleting the whole 'You earned xx points in this post' and direct the people at once to the topic?

This is great idea and the best solution for me. We don't need to know how many points are get from post. BTW script round this points on two decimals or something similar. The second good side of removing this message is faster forums.

Sonam
I like that message! Would hate for it to disappear. I like all of what is, just as it is! For me it is perfect. I like the numbering with the two decimals as well. This is probably going to sound weird, but I sometimes wonder whether those numbers are coded to go to doubles, like .44 or.88 etc. It is fun and the change of the numbers original and perfect as is. Smile
Ghost Rider103
I agree with dean, I personally like the numbers that are displayed after you make a post.

It also does a pretty good job at letting you know how good of quality your post was. Gaining 5 frih$ and points obviously being great!
watersoul
watersoul wrote:
Lol, I agree, it is really worth the effort of progamming to create a message that will let me know that I lost points after I'd deleted words in an edit Laughing

Clear sarcasm intended in my last reply, and I agree with others here, I like knowing how many points I've gained from a post...don't need to know how many I lost after deleting, it's not important, but if the deletion was important enough to me to do it, then I deserve to lose however many points I have.
sonam
deanhills wrote:
sonam wrote:
Quote:

Sonam
I like that message! Would hate for it to disappear. I like all of what is, just as it is! For me it is perfect. I like the numbering with the two decimals as well. This is probably going to sound weird, but I sometimes wonder whether those numbers are coded to go to doubles, like .44 or.88 etc. It is fun and the change of the numbers original and perfect as is. Smile

I can agree with you this message is funny, interesting and everything can stay as it is. I don't care am I lose or get points as long I am in positive. I am just sugest one more (unlike) solution. Cool

Sonam
mukesh
I agree by this rule i test this method and its working. Very Happy

Thx bounding
SonLight
I agree that the message about points changing due to edits is worth keeping. It is hardly worth much programming effort to fix the bug, though.

I would suggest to Bondings that he put this on his _low_ priority list, and make the simplest practical change to keep the message from being in error. I have two suggestions how that might be done:

* make the number of points "earned" a signed number. "You earned -0.35 points" would seem odd but correct and adequate.

* not print the number of points gained or lost at all. Something like "Your points may have changed due to this edit" would be sufficient, and would allow restrictions on gaining or keeping points for an edited post to be imposed if necessary to prevent abuse.
catscratches
ocalhoun wrote:
Peterssidan wrote:

An excellent point.

Doesn't the cash mod have a feature that lets you turn on/off gaining points when editing?
It may be best to just make it so that no points are gained or lost when editing... The changes are usually minuscule anyway.
Well, that would allow you to cheat the system. You could enter a lot of random gibberish when making the post. Then edit it and delete all but your original message of only a few words. That way you would still get a full 5 points for the post, without actually having to write a 5-point post.
ocalhoun
catscratches wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
Peterssidan wrote:

An excellent point.

Well, that would allow you to cheat the system. You could enter a lot of random gibberish when making the post. Then edit it and delete all but your original message of only a few words. That way you would still get a full 5 points for the post, without actually having to write a 5-point post.

True; I forgot about that possibility. So, changing points on editing is definitely important.

SonLight wrote:
* not print the number of points gained or lost at all. Something like "Your points may have changed due to this edit" would be sufficient, and would allow restrictions on gaining or keeping points for an edited post to be imposed if necessary to prevent abuse.

That certainly seems like the best option for a quick fix.