FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Today my GTX285 died

Flakky
Today I was removing the stock cooler from my Asus ENGTX285 and installed the Accelero Xtreme GTX Pro. When I turned on the computer everything worked out fine and there were no problems till after 2 minutes the computer stopped working. When rebooting my display was no longer reacting. Other graphics cards work fine on it.

I think I might have accidentally short circuited my card by placing the heatsink against multiple metal components. Does anyone know anything I can do to fix this? I heard a lot from the (in)famous "put-it-in-the-over-method" but I doubt it will work. Anyone has anything helpful to say?

I just noticed I can play Counter-Strike Source on 1920x1200 on medium settings with 30-60 fps on my backup graphics card, which I hate :/ Yeah I am spoiled.
FunDa
Have a careful look at the whole graphics card. Does it have any discoloured areas or black burn marks anywhere.

If you can see anything like that, then RIP graphics card.

Embarassed

Using a magnifying glass, look for any broken connections in the electrical connections(the printed ones)

If you do find anything, maybe you can apply solder over that area any bring back the cnnection

The "put-it-in-the-oven-method" seems to be dangerous, because it can fry the other electrical components in addition to melting the metal connections.
I wouldn't recommend using it. But if you want to try something similar, a soldering iron's heat should be useful to give directed heat to the connections alone.

How it works is that, electrical connection gets frail and it eventually fails because of some tiny micro-fractures in solder joints or something. The heat brings back the connections over the micro-fractures
Nemesis234
short circuiting metal components = a dead graphics card. its unlikly it would have done anything to the solder, but its worth a check anyway.

a lesson learned as they say.
Flakky
Nemesis234 wrote:
short circuiting metal components = a dead graphics card. its unlikly it would have done anything to the solder, but its worth a check anyway.

a lesson learned as they say.
Oh I learned to never do it myself every again xD

Thanks for the tips. When looking at the card I couldn't find anything. Maybe I need a more thorough look.
adri
I killed my graphic card once... After I put in a new network card, the computer screen didn't worked anymore (the computer screen did work but there was nothing on the screen), I guess that I accidentally touched the graphic card and due to static electricity, it stopped working. :/ (There were no marks or whatsoever on the card) It was a fairly old computer though (1998), so I wasn't to bothered. Razz

adri
Flakky
@adri,

yeah computers are quite sensitive to that kind of thing. Next time I recommend touching your power supply or an unpainted part of your computer case (or both Wink ). This should discharge you enough to safely operate.
Oh and stop moving when on a woolen carpet Wink
FunDa
You can also make a static discharging wristband if you keep opening and closing the cabinet of your computer a lot.

Just a wristband with a wire to be earthed.

Also look up how to discharge capacitors, if you go anywhere inside the power supply.
I opened up my power supply recently, and didn't know how dangerous it was.
Nemesis234
FunDa wrote:

dont forget the resistor, or you will kill yourself.
weableandbob
Wearing a wristband or at least keeping in contact with the case at all times is generally a pretty good idea. If you're really paranoid, you can get static proof gloves, as well.
FunDa
Nemesis234 wrote:
FunDa wrote:

dont forget the resistor, or you will kill yourself.

Oh !!! Confused I have been doing so many dangerous things without even knowing it.

AS they say, "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"