FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

. TK domains How safe is it?

cildir
. Tk domains How safe is it? because it offers free...
ankur209
It's not actually a free domain but it's a domain that you can get in place of your long urls...

For example you have a site on frihost account whose URL is www.abcdefgh.frihost.org
Now you don't want your friends to tell this long url so you can go to dottk.com and register your URL(www.abcdefgh.frihost.org) and get a alternative short URL of your choice which can be abc.tk

That's it..!!
When the website will be loaded you will see that the files are being loaded from your frihost account space...

Hope now you have understood Laughing
k_s_baskar
ankur209 wrote:
It's not actually a free domain but it's a domain that you can get in place of your long urls...

For example you have a site on frihost account whose URL is www.abcdefgh.frihost.org
Now you don't want your friends to tell this long url so you can go to dottk.com and register your URL(www.abcdefgh.frihost.org) and get a alternative short URL of your choice which can be abc.tk

That's it..!!
When the website will be loaded you will see that the files are being loaded from your frihost account space...

Now you can use .tk like other TLDs because they introduced Nameserver customization.

The answer for "how safe it is" you can use your domain without any problem until you fulfill their TOC (i.e minimum 25 hits in 90 days etc.,)
fladry
They are perfectly safe to use. You just need 25 hits in 90 days which is just a joke for a proper website. I have earned hundreds of dollars just with my .tk domains. But if you want to continue your website for a long time and have enough money to buy a .com, i would recommend it because sometimes .tk domains cost even more than .com. But if you don't have money, free .tk are fine.
janus
iĄŪm useing tk
janus
www.guoker.tk is one
janus
www.wpous.tk is other
ralf
I have one too. tk domain switched onto frihost. Sorry for my bad english
k_s_baskar
They become famous after removing ads in client websites and introduction for nameserver customization is their mail stone, finally they are looking like most paid Top Level Domains with DNS costomization. Smile
dude_xyx
I don't believe those free domains or sub domains like .tk or co.cc. You don't own the domain and You can promote and keep a site for few year and then loose the whole thing if they decide to stop the service. If you want to create a serious web site with long term goals then always buy a TLD domain.
lesfrontaliers
The safety is not the problem with this domain. In fact, you really have to be assured to be able to reach their conditions before using it. If you fail, you loose everything! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
xevo
I've heard they will take your domain (if you have more than 500 visitors per day) and park it.
I would avoid them if I were you...
fladry
I have used dot tk for a long time and u ask me, i recommend you to strictly avoid you if you are serious about your website. They just take your domain away when it is popular. I was a great fan of dot tk some time ago because i was earning from domains of dot tk. I spent a lot of time to create a website and optimize it... but after nearly a year, just few days before, dot tk took away my domain for no reason.... Sad I was totally surprised why they did so. They told me that my website doesn't exist. I had been receiving analytic data till the day and i know my website was running well. They just take away the domain when it is popular. So, avoid dot tk.... If you want to create a make-and-leave website, dot tk might be fine. But if you are planning to create a long term website and planning to do a lot of seo for it, don't go for dot tk domains. Get your own TLD any way.
Zenk
Personally I don't like .tk, because I always think it has some malicious content inside. I think no-one would pay for a .com domain and do something like that there. They introduces name servers on .tk so now you can park a domain on frihost and put frihost's name servers on .tk, and it will act as your domain.
pyrecon
It works like normal domains now if you register through domainshare (which is free), you could do URL forward or point it to DNS.

The drawback is that it is commonly known as a free service (like .co.cc) so its credibility is doubted and you can't really do any big with it. Another drawback is that you don't "own" the domain and dot.tk could do anything they want with your registered domain.

But I would prefer it over .co.cc since .tk is really a TLD and its really a "domain".
ProwerBot
.TK used to be horrible but I hear they offer DNS domains now.
ogah
dude_xyx wrote:
I don't believe those free domains or sub domains like .tk or co.cc. You don't own the domain and You can promote and keep a site for few year and then loose the whole thing if they decide to stop the service. If you want to create a serious web site with long term goals then always buy a TLD domain.

i agree, but if we don't want spend money for domain, .tk and co.cc are best choice
metalfreek
.tk is perfectly safe and good domains to use. I would say .tk is even better than .co.cc because some of my friends said that .co.cc might charge you some money after one year of free domain. I am not sure about that but I haven't heard too much of bad things about .tk domain.

If you don't want to spend too much money on TLDs I will definitely recommend a .tk domain.
papadogkl
fladry wrote:
I have used dot tk for a long time and u ask me, i recommend you to strictly avoid you if you are serious about your website. They just take your domain away when it is popular. I was a great fan of dot tk some time ago because i was earning from domains of dot tk. I spent a lot of time to create a website and optimize it... but after nearly a year, just few days before, dot tk took away my domain for no reason.... Sad I was totally surprised why they did so. They told me that my website doesn't exist. I had been receiving analytic data till the day and i know my website was running well. They just take away the domain when it is popular. So, avoid dot tk.... If you want to create a make-and-leave website, dot tk might be fine. But if you are planning to create a long term website and planning to do a lot of seo for it, don't go for dot tk domains. Get your own TLD any way.

Same happen to me recently........they simply deleted my domain without any woarning then when i complaint, they somehow reinstate my domain but here's the catch, they did not notify me moreover they didn't even do the setting for you. After that, they email me that unfortunately they have to permanently delete my domain because they wasn't any active website that link to it...... WTF.

Wrote to them and THEY NEVER EVER reply your email......double WTF. Do ever use them, banned them
codersfriend
xevo wrote:
I've heard they will take your domain (if you have more than 500 visitors per day) and park it.
I would avoid them if I were you...

I've experienced the this twice. First I was trying to purchase my domain, it was available at first then when I was buying it, it got parked. Then I waited it for a month for it to be available again. I registered the name again, used it on my non commercial site, then again I found it parked and pointing to some ads site. I've searched in google and there are a lot of posts claiming that it also happened to them. The conclusion is that it's always best to go for paid domains since you don't have anything to raise on .tk since it's free in the first place
alimddine
I heard they are pretty good i have one.
johans
I have 4 accounts in dot tk. One thing I notice in dot tk is that if you have common or pretty good domain name they will suspend it with out and you don't have reasons to ask why your domain is suspended, you can't even give a feedback why they don't give you that domain name.
busaboss
alimddine wrote:

They are not good free domain provider. Listen to what people say in this thread because it is all true and you will regret having a domain at .tk. When your domain gets popular, they will take your domain from without any valid reason. This is a fact and if you will search in google about feedbacks, everybody else seems to have the same experience with them.
futurcat
busaboss wrote:
alimddine wrote:

They are not good free domain provider. Listen to what people say in this thread because it is all true and you will regret having a domain at .tk. When your domain gets popular, they will take your domain from without any valid reason. This is a fact and if you will search in google about feedbacks, everybody else seems to have the same experience with them.

Is there a similar alternative which does not have such an issue?
Ultrak1ll
Quote:

Yeah the same thing happened to me. If you have a good name idea don't use it on any free name service. I have even got subdomain names "stolen" from me.
futurcat
Sounds ugly. Enough to not getting close to that.
spinout
I have had several .tk domians...

100% free yes.

I have lost 1, less that 25 visitors per 90 days.... Well nothing to complain about.
futurcat
spinout wrote:
I have had several .tk domians...

100% free yes.

I have lost 1, less that 25 visitors per 90 days.... Well nothing to complain about.

Did you loose the one with more visitors? Why did you loose it? Did you complain out ask why?
sysna
actually i have heard from many peoples loosing their .tk domains with huge amount of visitors, but it is a good domain for start if you got some visitors then change to a .com , .net or other paid TLDs because you may loose your domain. i've never used .tk domains because they are not seo friendly and will not get good ranks in google as easy as .com will get.
hakaner
Using for a month (changed .com to .tk) and I'm in first page of google search with my keywords (with webmaster tools geo target). Domain name extensions are not a big value for seo.
jerrimy
it's usually be delete
Gregoric
I've been using Dot.tk for three projects. Two of them were rather private, with only few visits from outside (but enough per month - 25).

One of them was deleted, because I lost my hosting provider and didn't visit the domain anymore.

Second one is being used all the time, only for private coding and testing - but that's enough.

Third was larger game clan community project, with about 50 visits per day. TK makes no problems till now (even when the site is not visited anymore because of clan had been disbanded), only the free hosting I've used for it made several days of site closure to 'check the content'.

Anyway, I suggest not to use the .tk for anything supposed to be not only private testing space. The .tk is rather not highly ranked on Google. The service is free - there is chance you will lose the domain one day, the Dot.tk have right to take away your adress anytime.
rodexa
I had a .tk domain name but they delete it without any reason. I write them a email about this but they did not respond.
briankid
dot.tk is not a good domain provider. Only good for personal purposes and link shortening i d say since google doesnt index your url
spring567
ankur209 wrote:

That's it..!!

.tk is free.You can use it like .com.
zimmer
cildir wrote:
. Tk domains How safe is it? because it offers free...

I think the question here is not about safe.. well, safe comes from the hosting side.. perhaps the question is how effective it is..

As far as i know .TK is effective as long as you know how to make your domain SEO configuration/friendly/searchable.

I was using .TK before and i find it Nice and simple. I just put the name of the server then wait for 2 hours to propagate.. then thats it.. thats how simple to config the .TK and effective it is since you will wait for 2 hours not other that you wait for 24 to propagate..

Very Happy
Ultrak1ll
DAMN!! I made a cool and short domain name on .tk and it was taken away from me in a few hours WTF Evil or Very Mad
dude_xyx
Ultrak1ll wrote:
DAMN!! I made a cool and short domain name on .tk and it was taken away from me in a few hours WTF Evil or Very Mad

Never use these for good sites or money sites. These sub Domain providers are not reliable. Also Google frown upon these since there are millions of spam sites pop up using these types of free sub domains. But these are good for SEO like for making Tire 3 Web 2.0 profiles / Sites to get backlinks for your money site.
RosenCruz
Their recent outlook and design is pretty cool. But I believe trusting on them too much would be a mistake Wink
johans
based on my experience i am confident that dot.tk is good and i having enjoy with the free domain.
RosenCruz
I guess they can not take away your domain when you upgrade to a paid account right ? Rolling Eyes
codemaster
.TK is not safe if your running a website. Because if it expires it won't have your records probably. SO your site wont be safe from that. SO if you plan on running a community .tk is not the best to use if you plan on using it has your domain with web host. Use something like smart dots.
spring567
It would be suspend because copyright or other reasons.
RosenCruz
I guess having .tk paid domains are better. They also provide it Wink
likeabreeze
I dont know the fact that .tk domain is so unstable until u told me.
So,
Free+Top level+stable+domain=nothing? Confused
RosenCruz
Quote:
Free+Top level+stable+domain=nothing?

That is the weirdest equation ever Rolling Eyes
deanhills
likeabreeze wrote:
I dont know the fact that .tk domain is so unstable until u told me.
So,
Free+Top level+stable+domain=nothing? Confused
.tk is not unstable. It's pretty good as it has very solid rules for Websites using .tk domains so as to ensure that the domains won't be excluded from browser search engines. Its standards are high. However, .tk is in the business of making money so probably wants to make sure that those .tk Websites with .tk domain names that are popular, but Websites of which are inactive, should be made available particularly to those who are prepared to pay for those domain names. If you want to avoid having your domain name given away, probably the most practical way of guaranteeing the domain name is to pay for it. However, if you want it to be free and don't want to pay for the domain, you need to log into the .tk domain account very regularly so you can make sure you can respond to renewal notices by .tk that may have been circulated earlier than the expected renewal period. Particularly if .tk should suspect the domain name account has been inactive when the Website has not shown much traffic.
RosenCruz
Here is the message I received from dot.tk, just before my domain was about to expire.

Quote:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Since August 13, 2012 you are the registrant of the domain name:
BEDAVASEYLER.TK.

Please be advised that the registration period for this domain is almost
over and that the domain will expire on August 13, 2013.

If you wish to keep your your domain, you should renew the domain
registration for BEDAVASEYLER.TK BEFORE August 13, 2013 00:00 GMT.

Domain name renewals are free of charge and can be done in My Dot TK.
Please:

- Visit My Dot TK at http://my.dot.tk

- Go to Domain Panel

- Select the domain name you want to renew

Domain renewals can only be done two weeks before a domain name expires.

Looking forward to continue to serve you with your domain name.

Kind regards,

Dot TK Support
http://www.dot.tk
http://free.tk

So, if you want to keep your domain, they kindly remind you. And you have to input a valid e mail address Wink