FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

UNIVERSITY BUILDINGS

armanfaruqui
I have seen many university buildings in three continents. Every building was marvulous, beautiful and imposing. But none matched the architectural style and beaury of Osman University, Hyderabad, INDIA.[/u][/url]
watersoul
I have to disagree and suggest the University of Plymouth, UK, but then it's a totally biased opinion because it was "my" university and if it was just a collection of garden sheds I'd still love it! Smile

New Arts faculty building...

*EDIT*
Osman University is pretty impressive though...
gandalfthegrey
Moscow State University has the best university building in the world!
Probably one of the best examples of soviet-style architecture.

Another interesting building is Simon Fraser University, designed by world-renowned architect Arthur Erickson.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_State_University
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Fraser_University
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Erickson
kitsrock
I attended McGill University. While the buildings aren't as big or grand as some of the other buildings mentioned in this post, it does have a lot of European influence in the buildings. Adding that to the small campus, it certainly isn't without its charm.

I find my campus beautiful right up to and including the first snow. (It really is beautiful with a small layer of snow) But then the snow just piles on and no one's really looking at the buildings anymore. Everyone's too busy looking down at their feet trying not to slip.
deanhills
gandalfthegrey wrote:
Moscow State University has the best university building in the world!
Probably one of the best examples of soviet-style architecture.
Wow, now that is a beautiful building. I really love old University building like the Moscow University, as they always took much more trouble in those days and probably had bigger budgets that they could worth. I rather like Glasgow University as well:
Blaster
Not yet finished but the new Materials Research Lab at Penn State University looks nice

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30876724@N06/2902423050/
http://www.automatedlogic.com/branch/pittsburgh/project/the-pennsylvania-state-university-millennium-science-complex/
pennquack
armanfaruqui wrote:
I have seen many university buildings in three continents. Every building was marvulous, beautiful and imposing. But none matched the architectural style and beaury of Osman University, Hyderabad, INDIA.[/u][/url]

As far as university buildings go, the absolutely unchallenged champion is the University of Pittsburgh's Cathedral of Learning. It is a 535ft (163m), 42-story tall gothic skyscraper, and it is the tallest academic building in the Western Hemisphere (2nd tallest university building in the world after Moscow State's). The building serves as the center for university life housing classrooms, lecture halls, a food court, language and computer labs, a small theater, humanities departments, and faculty and administrative offices. But what what makes it truly remarkable is that is even more impressive on the inside than on the outside.

The interior of the Cathedral contains a massive three-story gothic study hall called the Commons Room.

Ringing this Gothic Hall is a unique collection of 27 Nationality Rooms, representing the homelands of the ethnicities of Pittsburgh at the period the university's founding in 1787. All are museum quality, most with materials and construction originating from the source nation.

Except for two that are now only display rooms, these are functional classrooms used everyday by students and faculty. Eight more are in the planning stages. These, along with most Pitt buildings, are open to the public to tour (as long as class isn't in session in that particular room).

The University’s Honors College (below) is based on the 35 & 36th floor of the Cathedral of Learning, and provides sweeping views of the city.

Other spaces in the Cathedral can be seen on wikipedia. Here is a YouTube video about it as well: Cathedral of Learning on YouTube

The Cathedral of Learning even has a blatant copycat building (although not as large), also named the "Cathedral of Learning", located in Bangkok at Assumption University.
watersoul
Wow! Absolutely blown away with Pittsburghs Uni!

...I think that has to be one of the best in the world, and probably is the most impressive Smile
deanhills
Wow pennquack! That is absolutely out of this world. The photos are awesome. Thanks for posting them. If I may ask, is that a Catholic religion university, what programmes does it teach?
pennquack
watersoul wrote:
Wow! Absolutely blown away with Pittsburghs Uni!

...I think that has to be one of the best in the world, and probably is the most impressive Smile

I have to say, I've seen a lot of campuses on multiple continents, and nothing comes close to this one building. There may be better, more unified campuses as Pitt's architecture is pretty heterogeneous and it is pretty urban. But as far as an individual building, considering the impressiveness of its outside, combined with the inside, and the fact it is used so much by the students and faculty every day (not just set aside as historic or administrative building)...there is nothing I've ever seen (or seen pictures of) that even compares. IMO, if it was located at Oxford or Harvard, it would be the most famous college building in the world.

deanhills wrote:
If I may ask, is that a Catholic religion university, what programmes does it teach?

The University of Pittsburgh is a secular, semi-public university founded in 1787. It has been secular its entire history. It has only occupied its present campus since 1909, and the Cathedral of Learning was started in 1926, first held classes in 1931, and was formally dedicated in 1937. The construction was slowed by the Great Depression, and funds for its building were partially collected from donated dimes ($0.10) from local school children.

It has programs in a whole variety of things, as it is a major US research university, with both undergraduate and graduate degrees. It is probably most prominently known for its medical, health and biosciences, since it has the 5th largest health/bioscience research budget in the US. It is where Jonas Salk's Polio vaccine was developed, and also were organ transplantation was developed and mastered. It's medical center (UPMC) has 20 hospitals, including one in Dublin and a transplant hospital in Sicily.

It also has one of the best philosophy programs in the US, so it has strength in the humanities as well as the sciences, and has a fairly strong program in international studies. It runs the gamet though: engineering, social sciences, education humanities, information and computer sciences, etc.

It has some pretty cool other buildings as well...including...

Heinz Chapel, a non-denominational chapel which contains among the tallest stained glass windows in the world, and the single largest collection of Charles Connick designed windows in one place.

Pitt's neo-renaissance art facility, the Frick Fine Arts Building is home to the studio arts department.

The beaux-arts William Pitt Union, serves as the student union, and has been restored to its former condition when it was the premiere luxury hotel of the city, complete with Louis XV interiors.

Alumni Hall is a restored former Masonic Temple and contains the Alumni Association, the office of admissions, study areas, lecture halls, and other various academic space.

deanhills
Are you a student of the University? Sounds like an awesome place to be a part off. Thanks again for all the new photos as well. Maybe Ocalhoun should take note of this place too? Very Happy
menino
Wow, looking at all these university pictures, makes me want to go and study there.... although I'd probably not do much studying.... Laughing

But the Universities are grand and also beautiful.
Pittsburgh is awesome - it has an old feel to it - almost like an old castle.
And the ceilings are also so high, and the design and lightings look really awesome.
pennquack
deanhills wrote:
Are you a student of the University? Sounds like an awesome place to be a part off. Thanks again for all the new photos as well. Maybe Ocalhoun should take note of this place too? Very Happy

I was years ago, but have also been as student or worked at the University of Miami (FL), the University of Pennsylvania (in Philadelphia), the University of San Francisco, and the University of California-San Francisco.

There are some fantastic things right on/adjacent to campus too (although not technically part of the university) like the city's major natural history (has the third largest dinosaur collection in the world) and art museums (right across the street from the Cathedral of Learning)...

...Soldiers' and Sailor's memorial & museum (right in the middle of campus and used for many university functions....

...and Phipps Conservatory.

And these are all have free admission for Pitt students and faculty. It really is a cool place if you appreciate these sorts of things.

Of course, Pitt has its "uglier", more modern buildings too, so if you like brutalist architecture, you won't be disappointed either.
deanhills
Thanks pennquack. You've just put Pitt and Penn on my list of places to definitely travel to. Must be great to live around there and go for long walks around those buildings. Also, thanks again for all the photos. The quality is quite outstanding. Very Happy
vasilisbankov
Wow! I am currently studying on an Island in Greece and this seems reaaally stunning!
yagnyavalkya
There are great univeristy buildings in the world
I studied in Tamil Nadu Agricultural University in Coimbatore Tamil Nadu , India
The main building is great and was constructed by the British in the early 20th Century
Here is the photo of the building
emanuel2
In my opinion they should spend more money on education than on trying to make extraordinary super-galactic buildings. (This opinion refers to my country where I am studying)
deanhills
emanuel2 wrote:
In my opinion they should spend more money on education than on trying to make extraordinary super-galactic buildings. (This opinion refers to my country where I am studying)
I don't know, nothing like a really great building to inspire one to learn more. Particularly a great library as well.