FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Boardgame recommendations?

gandalfthegrey
Hey everyone!

I'm looking to purchase some board games for my place, but I don't want the well-known Parker or Milton Brothers type games.

I have some lesser-known board games that I love, like Arkham Horror, Apples to Apples or Settlers of Catan.

What boardgames would you recommend?
Ankhanu
gandalfthegrey wrote:
I have some lesser-known board games that I love, like Arkham Horror, Apples to Apples or Settlers of Catan.

These are some solid choices.

RoboRally is a really fun game, basically it's a race. You get an assortment of commands to program into your computer each round to get you from start to finish. Once chosen your robot executes your choices and you can't change the program once set for the round... you find out quickly how poorly you can plan your route with the options you're dealt Wink One of the few games that you can have as much fun losing as winning.

Ticket to Ride - build train routes across one of a number of maps (depending on which version you buy). Lots of strategy, plus route goals too complicate the strategies. Great way to kill an hour or two.

Carcassonne - Map building strategy game; randomly build a world one tile at a time, assigning pieces to occupy the different land features to earn points. Only takes a little while to play, rules are easy, and it's pretty fun.
daredninja
Depending on the group you intend on playing on I think games like Taboo or Pictionnary are always favourites.

My alltime favourite though is a game called Diplomacy. It's played without dice and is a highy strategic games involving alliances and backstabbing. Great fun, will take you well through the night but beware you will probably end up not speaking to any of your friends after they betray you Smile
wombatrpgs
gandalfthegrey wrote:

Heh, those last two aren't exactly that obscure...

Anyway, what sort of thing are you interested in? Strategy games? Puzzle-y games? In any case, if you're playing for fun mostly, Khet (the laser game) is fairly fun. I'd also recommend Go for something more serious.