FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

PING!

Dennise
While I can successfully ping sites like Google, Yahoo, Facebook and others, I cannot ping Microsoft.com. All I get are timeouts even if I use -w 5000.

any ideas?
Fire Boar
Some hosts block ping requests. That's all there is to it. If you can ping anything at all, you should be good. Ping is the cheap 'n dirty way of figuring out if a host is online (or if you are). It's only reliable one way, so "ping succeeds" implies that "host is up". However, "host is up" does not necessarily imply that "ping succeeds".
ocalhoun
I'll just elaborate on that and give you the reason.
Some servers block ping requests to help protect against hackers.
It helps protect against two threats, a denial of service attack where an overload of ping requests prevents the server from doing its job, and 'the ping of death', where a custom-made ping packet is sent, with malicious code attached to it in the hopes that the server will, in one way or another, execute that code.

You can protect against these in other, more subtle ways, but if responding to pings isn't your server's purpose, then why take the risk at all?
airh3ad
i think it block by the Microsoft they don't want to be k-line.
Fire Boar
On the "ping of death", this exploit is historical, and operating systems since 1998 or so are immune. It involves sending a ping packet 65536 bytes long to the target. Ping packets are usually 56 bytes long. 65536 is one byte too long for TCP/IP to handle (the maximum is 65535), so it requires two packets to send. When the packets are reassembled, the ping listener couldn't handle more than the 65535 TCP/IP cap, causing a buffer overflow and a system crash. Hence ping of death.

As for ping DDoS... well, there are other more sophisticated DDoS venues. Multiple HTTP requests not only use a lot of bandwidth but also processing time as the server struggles to construct responses, so I'd say an HTTP attack is probably more effective than a ping attack. This makes me wonder what real benefit blocking ping could give.
FunDa
Dennise wrote:
While I can successfully ping sites like Google, Yahoo, Facebook and others, I cannot ping Microsoft.com. All I get are timeouts even if I use -w 5000.

any ideas?

All the replies are correct.

I don't know whether blocking pings is useful to protect against a proper DDoS ( as an HTTP attack is more effective), but a ping is not at all useful for the server being pinged. So why keep a useless service open. Maybe that is why many servers prevent the ping.

You can check here to verify that the ping packets are 100% dropped by microsoft.com for all locations, not just you.

http://just-ping.com/index.php?vh=microsoft.com

You can test other sites too, to see how fast they ping back and how much of the data is lost.
jdelfire
Fire Boar wrote:
On the "ping of death", this exploit is historical, and operating systems since 1998 or so are immune. It involves sending a ping packet 65536 bytes long to the target. Ping packets are usually 56 bytes long. 65536 is one byte too long for TCP/IP to handle (the maximum is 65535), so it requires two packets to send. When the packets are reassembled, the ping listener couldn't handle more than the 65535 TCP/IP cap, causing a buffer overflow and a system crash. Hence ping of death.

As for ping DDoS... well, there are other more sophisticated DDoS venues. Multiple HTTP requests not only use a lot of bandwidth but also processing time as the server struggles to construct responses, so I'd say an HTTP attack is probably more effective than a ping attack. This makes me wonder what real benefit blocking ping could give.

Again Fire Boar is right as always...
The old school ping of death...
Some sites usually close out the ICMP if they don't to be ping by any other networks for some secuirty reason, which you can also do with your own pc/modem/router you just have to find out how to disable ICMP.

Ping is one way of testing if one network is running. Mostly use by people who use VPN to determine if their server/pc is up and running or look for latency. So I'm wondering why would you want to ping microsoft? are you having problems accessing thier site?

Normally if we need to verify someone's connection i get them to ping a public DNS 4.2.2.2.
One more thing to check if a site is active is by doing a traceroute.
toasterintheoven
yeah, I get 100% packet losses on sites like nba.com too, they must just block the ping port
jmfernandez
Microsoft do the blocking of ping requests outside their domain/network. Because they don't want to get attack by malicious codes attached to a ping. They also want to hide to protect their IP address for possible attack.