FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

movie theaters with assigned seating

TurtleShell
So I went to a movie theater that had assigned seating recently. I had no idea this was the case when I went and I was annoyed when we showed up about 30 minutes before the movie started only to find out that the only seats left were in the first two rows. I think a lot of movie "members" had already purchased the good seats well in advance of the day. I won't be going back to this theater. I guess you could make the argument that I should have showed up an hour in advance of the movie, but this movie had been out for a long time already and we didn't think that was necessary. I'm even more annoyed that I had to pay full price for bad seats. Since the theater knew they were giving us the seats that give you neck cramps, they should have given me a discount. I was wondering if anyone like these types of theaters, or if you think the traditional theaters (no assigned seating) works better.
goutha
I like the idea of assigning seats in movie theatres. You buy your ticket online and when you arrive you're sure to have a nice seat. I don't like the idea to be 30 minutes before the movie in order to find a good seat.
TurtleShell
I suppose if all movie theaters were this way, I'd get used to it. As it is, it was a huge inconvenience because I had no idea this was even an issue. Plus, they should have charged less for what they knew were undesirable seats.
Magicman
That is really strange. I have never been in that situation. I usually show up just 5 or 10 minutes before a movie starts and buy my ticket then. I guess I just rarely go to the movies during a busy time because the theaters are usually fairly empty.
standready
Never had that happen yet even when purchasing tickets in advance online. I would have left rather than put myself in a bad seat.
Nameless
My opinion is a little uninformed here, having not been to the movies for ages, but ...

I'd faintly prefer assigned seats to unassigned ones. Buying the tickets and snatching up a good seat half an hour or more before the movie starts is pretty much obnoxious, whereas reserving one in advance is fine for people, like myself, who plan these things in advance anyway. The reason I say faintly though is because any movie theater whose less popular seats can cause physical discomfort or a less pleasant experience is just a really bad theater.

Worse comes to worst, just wait until a few weeks after the movie is opened and you shouldn't have the problem with crammed cinemas anyway.
deanhills
I can't buy tickets online where I am, however I do like the idea of choosing my seat at the ticket counter when I purchase my ticket. Perhaps if TurtleShell had that option she may have at least the opportunity to see exactly what the theatre seat situation looks like. As usually the cashier will show me an exact diagram of the seating layout so that I can picture exactly where I will be sitting. The cashier is also usually very informative, and may tell me that it is absolutely fully booked, and only two seats left near the front. In which case I won't buy the tickets, and wait for a later show, or another show which has better seats available.
Ghost900
I didn't even know that any theaters did assigned seats. No theaters I have been to use assigned seating which I prefer as I generally don't plan to go to a movie, it is more of a last minute "Why not" idea.

I could get used to the idea of assigned seating I guess but if you don't know in advance then it makes the first experience not to great if it is a popular film.
Insanity
I like the idea because then you don't need to wait in line for hours to get seats that don't suck. Although that could be part of the experience of watching a movie when it just comes out. It doesn't seem as effective for other movies.
daredninja
I personally like it because I am always running late! So it allows me to book in advance and get there halfway through the previews if i want and not have to sit in the front row!
eday2010
The only time there are assigned seats for a movie is when you go to an IMAX or IMAX 3D movie. Otherwise it's a free-for-all.
speeDemon
TurtleShell wrote:
I suppose if all movie theaters were this way, I'd get used to it.
In India, or atleast in my city, all the movie theaters have assigned seating. In addition to that, there is no way to book your tickets online, all you can do is get in line.

Older theaters used to have a 'balcony' and a 'third class' I believe... the balcony seats were costlier.
catscratches
I like assigned seating. That way you can book your tickets online and be certain that (if you're going in a group) you get seats next to eachother.
watersoul
It seems a pretty good idea, but I usually wait until a movie is coming to the end of it's cinema run - discounted price as well, and I've even watched a film before when the only other person watching was my son - we could be as noisy as we wanted!
andysart380
standready wrote:
Never had that happen yet even when purchasing tickets in advance online. I would have left rather than put myself in a bad seat.

agreed
deanhills
watersoul wrote:
It seems a pretty good idea, but I usually wait until a movie is coming to the end of it's cinema run - discounted price as well, and I've even watched a film before when the only other person watching was my son - we could be as noisy as we wanted!
I do the exact same. If there is a mid-night show where I will know for sure the cinema will be almost empty and I really want to see the movie, then I will go for that showing. Or get the morning show over a weekend. I very rarely go to the cinema however. And only when it is a really good movie where I want to get the whole cinema effects with it with accoustics, sound effects, good picture etc. Like Avatar for example.
adri
Yeah, in the Kinepolis (big Belgian cinema company with cinemas in belgium, spain, poland,...) they did the same about two years ago. It is a good system as long as you have planned the cinema trip well ahead. But when you go to the cinema impulsively, let's say an hour before the movie starts, getting the idea to go, it really sucks, because you have absolutely no chance (unless it's a bad movie or it's already out for a couple of weeks) of taking the good seats. And if you have to pay 9 (12,5 USD) for one ticket, that really keeps you at home. Sad (At least for me, renting movies gets much more attractive Smile )

adri
saratdear
speeDemon wrote:
In India, or atleast in my city, all the movie theaters have assigned seating.
Usually it's not the case, where I live (Kerala) If you stand in the line and get a ticket, you can choose where to sit (of course, if it is available). If you book tickets, you get assigned seats.
speeDemon wrote:

Older theaters used to have a 'balcony' and a 'third class' I believe... the balcony seats were costlier.

There still is...the front seats are the least expensive ones.
speeDemon
saratdear wrote:
speeDemon wrote:
In India, or atleast in my city, all the movie theaters have assigned seating.
Usually it's not the case, where I live (Kerala) If you stand in the line and get a ticket, you can choose where to sit (of course, if it is available). If you book tickets, you get assigned seats.
speeDemon wrote:

There still is...the front seats are the least expensive ones.
Well, as i said, i was talking about my own city and not the whole country, thus the correction.
soljarag
interesting idea, but I think it would be wayyy too hard to implament. Can you imagine all the fights that would occure..... and it would cost too much to overhall the system. Putting numbers on each seat, row, ect...

and when you go to buy tickets at the counter, that would tripple the time it takes... and normally there is a huge line to get tickets

right now you just say the movie, and time, then pay. If they assigned seats, each person would have to pick what seat they want...
adri
soljarag wrote:
interesting idea, but I think it would be wayyy too hard to implament. Can you imagine all the fights that would occure..... and it would cost too much to overhall the system. Putting numbers on each seat, row, ect...

and when you go to buy tickets at the counter, that would tripple the time it takes... and normally there is a huge line to get tickets

right now you just say the movie, and time, then pay. If they assigned seats, each person would have to pick what seat they want...

In belgium (at least in the Kinepolis), there are touchscreencomputers where you buy your tickets, and you can easily choose your seats (you get a map of all the seats and those who are still available). Although there still is the slower tickets-at-the-counter-method for non-computerusers. Smile

So I wouldn't say that this system is slower. It just costs a fair bit of money to implent. Smile

adri
ankitdatashn
Hardluck friend!

In India they have resolved this problem, The do have differential pricing as per the seat arrangement, the people in front seats are charged less as compared to people in the back rows. Back rows are normally said as gold lounges or are placed in a balcony.

So that keep's everyone happy, those who want economy can go in for front seats and those wanting comfort normally go in for the balcony seats or the gold lounges. Also as each person is having a secured seat to efficiency is high and tension is less! Smile
missdixy
I like it! I think if I remember correctly, when I went to the movie theater at Navy Pier here in Chicago (to see an IMax movie or something) they had assigned seating and it was awesome. We chose our seats, purchased our tickets, grabbed some food, and then went to the movie and still had great seats! I definitely like being able to ensure I have good seats. There have been times in movie theaters that don't do this where I bought tickets only to find out that I couldn't find good seats for myself and whoever was with me, and so I ended up leaving and requesting a refund. Assigned seating prevents this!
dapopeyoh
I think it makes it easier for people to pay in advance for seats because everything will be well organised. But I would hate it if some specific seats are not even offered for sale but are kept for some group of people to buy.