FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Disabling encrypted file transfer to FAT partition.

nam_siddharth
Is there any way to disable encrypted file transfer to FAT/FAT32 drive/partition? By default Windows give a warning that your file system does not support encryption, so the file will be decrypted. I want to change this behavior to Windows simply denying encrypted file transfer to FAT/FAT32 partition.

If it is not possible to disable encrypted file transfer to FAT/FAT32 drive, is it possible to disable FAT/FAT32 file system at all?

I am using Windows 7 x64 Ultimate OS, if it helps.
Fire Boar
What device are you using FAT/FAT32 on? These days, there's never a good reason to use either of these filesystems when there are better, more sophisticated options available. You can't exactly "disable" them, since the filesystem is the underlying method for storing files. I guess you could drop the FAT (file allocation table), but then your computer would forget where all the files are, in much the same way as it does when you select them all and hit the "delete" key. Wink

The way to "upgrade" your filesystem is to back up all the data and format the disk to a different filesystem. For Windows, your options are limited exclusively to NTFS, which isn't brilliant but at least there are no tricky decisions to make.
nam_siddharth
Fire Boar wrote:
What device are you using FAT/FAT32 on? These days, there's never a good reason to use either of these filesystems when there are better, more sophisticated options available. You can't exactly "disable" them, since the filesystem is the underlying method for storing files. I guess you could drop the FAT (file allocation table), but then your computer would forget where all the files are, in much the same way as it does when you select them all and hit the "delete" key. Wink

The way to "upgrade" your filesystem is to back up all the data and format the disk to a different filesystem. For Windows, your options are limited exclusively to NTFS, which isn't brilliant but at least there are no tricky decisions to make.

Actually I do not want my customers take away encrypted files from my Cyber Cafe PCs to their USB flash/pen drive. If they copy my encrypted files to a NTFS disk, they cannot access those files in their PCs. But if they copy encrypted files to a FAT32 drive, the files get automatic decrypted.
FunDa
I don't know if it is possible to block transfer of "NTFS encrypted" files alone. That would be a good solution.

Here is what I can come up with.

First make sure that the administrator account is in your control and that the users get only a Limited User or Guest account.

Then whatever files are encrypted to ypu administrator account will not be accessible from the Guest or User account.

If you want them to use the file on the user account too, this would be problematic.

One thing you can do is to block the USB port. (either physically or by changing the settings)
You can do this by blocking the USB devices from the Control Panel > System > Device Manager

But that would mean they cannot copy any files.

If you have folder lock, you can lock the folder. But then you will ahve to unlock it if they want to use it.

Same goes for putting stuff in a password protected archive.

Also, even if you block USB and put a password, if you have to show them the unencrypted files, they can easily upload the files to their email account even.
nam_siddharth
I still think that there must be a way to disable FAT32 file system on Windows 7 (x64).