FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Android App Inventor

PureReborn
Google created a (currently beta) simple method for people to quickly create android apps. Link: http://appinventor.googlelabs.com/about/

You can sign up for the service on the right (they'll get back to you in a few days).

Note that you need to have an Android phone to use this as your phone is used to run the development code.

I blogged about my first experience with it here: http://zerocostandroid.posterous.com/android-app-inventor

I'm working through the rest of the tutorials slowly and plan to make a some simple apps to test it out. Eventually I plan to do actual coding on the Android SDK.

Has anyone else tried the App Inventor yet?
amperx
i was actually trying this out myself and i thought that it would be a good way to start with app building, my idea is to use it as base then hard code after, though i have start using the sdk for quite sometime now, app builder helps too Wink
ahnguye5
I've tried it. It's very simple and, because of that, very limited but still quite cool that you can make an app and package it to see on your phone.
PureReborn
I actually did some Android development over the weekend (Using the SDK). I'm gonna be doing some blog posts about it soon.
ahnguye5
PureReborn wrote:
I actually did some Android development over the weekend (Using the SDK). I'm gonna be doing some blog posts about it soon.

Sounds good, what kind of app are you making?
FunDa
I'm downloading it right now. I always wanted to do some Android programming but was too lazy to do it. Hope this will prod me into action. Then I can move on to the Android SDK.
snowboardalliance
Eh, I plan on actually learning the SDK soon. I've never liked simplified/graphical types of programming over a language like Java or C++. It quickly becomes limiting if you know what you are doing, because you know you can do so much more in Java (or C++ in other cases).
ahnguye5
App Inventor just got some new features. Among them are the ability to expand/collapse and organize blocks, restrict text entry to numbers, and,my favorite, add an icon -- pretty damn cool.
mahirh
cool , got an invite , tried it out but it did not match my expectations , i was hoping something more like the discontinued ms popfly app creator , in which you can link stuff
SultanMA
Thanks, i think it's free for all users now, am i right?
FunDa
SultanMA wrote:
Thanks, i think it's free for all users now, am i right?

Yes, definitely free for everyone. And open to everyone now.

Only relatively simple Apps can be made using it, but still its a very easy interface for those who are trying to learn what programming is.

Also, one problem is that you cannot publish to the Android Market easily (even if you have an Android Market account)

You have to recompile with your developer key if you ant to publish to the Android Market.

But that's not a problem, because unlike iPhone, Android phones can install Apps from anywhere using .apk files (which is what you can get from App Inventor)
cybersa
I didn't tried this software.
I'm using eclipse to build a Android app.
I created one application for Indian user.
FunDa
cybersa wrote:
I didn't tried this software.
I'm using eclipse to build a Android app.
I created one application for Indian user.

What did u create ? Why is it for Indian user only ? Is it a regional language application ?

Using App Inventor is very easy for making simple applications
cybersa
I created GPRS Settings for Indian User.
You can view all Indian GPRS & WAP Settings of all operator in India.
FunDa
Oh, good app. That is why it is for Indian users only Smile
portoskt
is there any visual tool for making android apps? and what programming language is needed to be known for that?
FunDa
portoskt wrote:
is there any visual tool for making android apps? and what programming language is needed to be known for that?

YES !!

That visual tool s called Android App Inventor.

And basically, you don'y need to know any programming knowledge.

Just need to have some logical thinking. But any programming knowledge will help.

The commands are represented as blocks and you can pll out new commands and ut what should be the effect on each of the output arms of the command

http://appinventor.googlelabs.com/about/