FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

British Nuclear Sub Runs Aground

jwellsy
The British nuclear sub the Astute got caught on some rocks in shallow water and an out going tide. What I found most amazing was further down the story in that the new class of sub never needs refueled, a 35 year reactor.

Quote:
At 7,200 tonnes the Astute is the biggest British nuclear attack submarine ever built, although it is half the size of the Trident nuclear submarines at 16,000 tonnes. The boat’s nuclear reactor will never need refueling during its 35 year life.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/defence/8079960/HMS-Astute-worlds-most-advanced-nuclear-submarine-runs-aground.html
ocalhoun
jwellsy wrote:
What I found most amazing was further down the story in that the new class of sub never needs refueled, a 35 year reactor.

That's one of the wonderful things about a nuclear sub...
Mainly, the only reason they ever need to surface or go to port is for the needs of the crew, not the needs of the machine.

A crew is required though- because it needs guidance and because it needs maintenance and repairs. If those functions could be provided autonomously, then it would be feasible to make a submarine that never needs to resurface (during its expected life span).
jwellsy
ocalhoun wrote:

That's one of the wonderful things about a nuclear sub...

A 35 year core I think is a very recent development. I wonder if it's design is similar to the 4S reactor in the Amazing Projects forum.

An unmanned sub is probably possible. It would not be very wise to have a totally autonomous sub. Everything mechanical and electrical can and will break. They all have an invisible expiration date on them of when they will fail. A sub needs human intervention to address failures. An unmanned sub would also be easier to attack or capture.

A remote control drone sub could and probably does fulfill some limited short term objectives.
ocalhoun
While the 35 year mark may be quite new, they've always been able to go far, far longer between reactor refueling than between crew refueling.

jwellsy wrote:
An unmanned sub would also be easier to attack or capture.

Only if it depends on external control signals more than a normal sub does.
If you give the sub's computer as much command authority as a normal sub's captain, it wouldn't be any more vulnerable on the communications front.
You'd trade some decision making ability and strategic skill for being quieter and surfacing less... That could be a favorable trade-off in some situations.
(That's assuming you couldn't build a computer better at sub commanding than humans are... If we go full-sci-fi, then an AI-controlled sub would have a clear advantage over human-controlled subs.)
*gets idea for a good near-future sci-fi book/movie*
To my knowledge, submarine warfare isn't a forum that 'AI vs. human' has been tried in; Red October set in the year 2085, if you will... Which gives me the basic plot! The fancy new AI-controlled sub goes rogue for unknown reasons, meaning everybody has to hunt it down ASAP, or else it might decide to launch its missiles...
*off to write!*
Towards the end of the fifth day, Rick was getting extremely tired of the search for the missing sub. The AI's last transmission -- a distress call -- was from this location, but days of scanning the sea floor had not revealed any objects on the sea floor that might be the sub. As he turned to head back to his cabin, out of the corner of his eye he saw an unmistakable sight; a white line in the water, gently curving towards the survey ship. A torpedo. 'No', rick thought 'we are definitely not going to find the sub sunk on the sea floor...' --To Be Continued--
standready
Very good ocalhoun. You could name your "Hal"! LOL

Back to topic: why not have a sub you could program for a specific mission? Would not need communications - Recon, search and destroy, all with avoidance and treat assessment capabilities.
harismushtaq
Unmanned airplanes and railways are getting common. But still unmanned cars are not common whereas mechanically, car is simpler that airplane. Similarly, I think, a submarine is a kind of thing that will be of limited use if it is unmanned. By the way, in case of an unexpected disaster, is there any system to contain radiation hazards ?
uzeed
Ocalhoun you said that,
Quote:
"Only if it depends on external control signals more than a normal sub does.
If you give the sub's computer as much command authority as a normal sub's captain, it wouldn't be any more vulnerable on the communications front.
You'd trade some decision making ability and strategic skill for being quieter and surfacing less... That could be a favorable trade-off in some situations.
(That's assuming you couldn't build a computer better at sub commanding than humans are... If we go full-sci-fi, then an AI-controlled sub would have a clear advantage over human-controlled subs.)
To my knowledge, submarine warfare isn't a forum that 'AI vs. human' has been tried in; Red October set in the year 2085, if you will... Which gives me the basic plot! The fancy new AI-controlled sub goes rogue for unknown reasons, meaning everybody has to hunt it down ASAP, or else it might decide to launch its missiles...
*off to write!*
Towards the end of the fifth day, Rick was getting extremely tired of the search for the missing sub. The AI's last transmission -- a distress call -- was from this location, but days of scanning the sea floor had not revealed any objects on the sea floor that might be the sub. As he turned to head back to his cabin, out of the corner of his eye he saw an unmistakable sight; a white line in the water, gently curving towards the survey ship. A torpedo. 'No', rick thought 'we are definitely not going to find the sub sunk on the sea floor..."

Am waiting for you conclusion.

mOrpheuS wrote:
Quote tags added. Please use quote tags around text that you haven't written yourself.
ocalhoun
uzeed wrote:

Oh, probably along the lines that the Russians knew where it was all along, and the protagonists finally learn to cooperate with them, just in the nick of time, and are able to disable it just in time...
Hm... could be dramatic if the AI sub's anti-torpedo defense is impregnable, and the hero of the story must pilot his own sub to ram it, in order to prevent it from firing missiles. (Thankfully, the AI sub needed to be in shallow water to launch missiles, so our heroes can (believably) miraculously survive the ramming.)
^.^
This could be fun... I might write this story after all.
Bikerman
uzeed wrote:
Ocalhoun you said that,
"Only if it depends on external control signals more than a normal sub does.
*off to write!*
Towards the end of the fifth day, Rick was getting extremely tired of the search for the missing sub. The AI's last transmission -- a distress call -- was from this location, but days of scanning the sea floor had not revealed any objects on the sea floor that might be the sub. As he turned to head back to his cabin, out of the corner of his eye he saw an unmistakable sight; a white line in the water, gently curving towards the survey ship. A torpedo. 'No', rick thought 'we are definitely not going to find the sub sunk on the sea floor..."

Moderator comment - where you are quoting another poster or in fact any source, then use of QUOTE tags is compulsory. This is a last 'friendly' warning - next time it will become very official.
Bikerman
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Think I hear another featured discussion coming up ..... looking forward to it Smile
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
Think I hear another featured discussion coming up ..... looking forward to it Smile

Why would I go to all of the trouble of writing what would probably be a full-size novel, just to post it for free here?

I'll send the manuscript to publishers first. ^.^
It would be fun (and perhaps profitable) to be a published author; might as well try.

(Hm... If the off-topic-ness continues I might split the thread. My fault; I started the derailment myself.)