FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is gmail doing a foolish thing?

spring567
It is said it is not easy to creat a gmail account. You need to confirm your id by mobilephone. I think it will lost many users because it is hard to confirm in some countries. Gmail is doing a foolish thing.
ChrisCh
I think they're no doubt making an effort to cut down on spam, so that messages sent can actually be linked with a real person if they start spamming someone... Just curious, but is there a different way to verify the account besides using a mobile phone? Smile
k_s_baskar
I don't think this is foolish thing. Actually they are avoiding unwanted multiple account creation.

They can able to send sms to any mobile in any country or any network. If you are having problem in account creation?
LostOverThere
Haven't they been doing this for years now?

Doesn't look like it's stopped people at all.
Arseniy
Hoho, my first gmail box was opened with an invitation code and THAT was really unsuitable!
The mobile phone confirmation can testify that Google is running out of space or it starts to get more and more hard to cope with lots of users.
But I think that if you want such service you'll spend 3 or 4 minutes of your time.
Nameless
Too bad for the few people who don't actually have or need a mobile phone, huh. They didn't need any kind of confirmation when I created my account a few years back ...
c'tair
Well, good thing that somebody I know stocked up on a few accounts before this procedure came into effect. While it may cut down on the number of spammers using their gmail accounts, I also thing it's a bit of a breach of privacy. Sure, it's their service and they can even require that I walk on all fours, but it wasn't like that when I first registered and there is no way I am associating a phone number with an online account.

Plus, like one my predecessors said - not everyone has a mobile phone. In the future I may not have one at all so does this mean I have use a crappy alternative like hotmail?
standready
c'tair wrote:
I also think it's a bit of a breach of privacy.

Please explain?

With Google expanding into Facebook and recent troubles (I will call it - bullying) there, maybe they are trying to cover their ASSets a little but I don't see how a disposable mobile phone number will help them.
c'tair
standready wrote:
c'tair wrote:
I also think it's a bit of a breach of privacy.

Please explain?

With Google expanding into Facebook and recent troubles (I will call it - bullying) there, maybe they are trying to cover their ASSets a little but I don't see how a disposable mobile phone number will help them.

Disposable phone numbers still have to be purchased. Plus, it's not as easy everywhere as it is for example in most European countries. Giving a phone number tied to a contract phone is like giving all of your information.

Question is - do they really need my phone number? Do they really need my name, address? Next year maybe they'll ask me for my shoe size as well?

Yes, the last one was a joke, exaggerated and all. But I find it very uncomfortable giving away any of my information or contact information freely - I don't have any Facebooks or Twatters or any social media, I try to keep my real info contact footprint as minimal as possible not because I have something to hide but because I feel exposed. I also feel my human dignity is attacked this - what if I don't want to give away my info and have anybody read it?
I am not my name nor my date of birth nor my phone number, why should I be 'cataloged' by those?
Arty
One of the drawbacks of having a free email service is that there are always spammers trying to abuse it.
AftershockVibe
It's worth noting that this is done on a country-by-country basis. For places where mobile phones are not commonplace, this rule can be relaxed.

Similarly, if GMail has a problem with spam from a given area, this can be enforced. GMail only works so long as it keeps spam at bay (or it's users won't use it). Keeping anit-spam up-to-date costs a LOT of money. Basically this is finding a balance between greater Ad Revenue and greater Anti-spam spending.

Of course, Google has a vested interest in trying to encourage people to use its mobile services too.
deanhills
AftershockVibe wrote:
It's worth noting that this is done on a country-by-country basis. For places where mobile phones are not commonplace, this rule can be relaxed.

Of course, Google has a vested interest in trying to encourage people to use its mobile services too.
Totally agreed with both statements above. I just tried to open a gmail account in the UAE, and I indicated the country as United States. There was no request for a mobile number.

I'm ALWAYS very suspicious of Google, and I wonder whether they will now be gathering information on mobile phone numbers? I wonder how secure it is as well to let them have access to my mobile number. And I agree with c'tair that this would be breach of privacy.

To be truthful, if I would ever get a request from Google to provide my mobile number in order to keep my existing e-mail accounts with them, then I won't hesitate to abandon my gmail accounts. I'm well served by a number of other commercial accounts that I consider to be the same or better quality. I feel never comfortable when I am using gmail, because I know they are professionals at "bots". Possibly it is that very "bot" system that is responsible for all of the spam. Sort of an ironic situation. And perhaps in the end the mobile verification is to serve Google more than the users of the accounts.
william
Wait, since when have they required this? I remember reading about something similar in July 2009 that they required a mobile number for verification. However I have made one account between then and now, and it didn't ask for anything. I did a quick search, and nothing new came up either. Is this for certain countries?
hersandal
Really? is that how gmail trying to register the users for their service mail now? When I started using gmail, you cannot register yourself you need to have an invite. But this is something new that you need to access it from you mobile phone. lemme check on that.
truespeed
Google in trouble in the UK for collecting data with its street view cars.

Full Story
metalfreek
I don't think that mobile phone is required. I have just created an email address in Gmail without giving any phone number. I think it depends on the country where you are trying to create account.
goutha
They ask for your phone number, but it's not mandatory to give it. However, even if it is, there's no reason to give your real number, 1234567890 should do the job... Smile
Bondings
The catchpa of Google used to be one of the strongest and wasn't broken unlike Yahoo/Hotmail and others. (With broken I mean that there exist programs in the wild that solve them.)

A few years ago it was broken and this was probably one of the means to protect for the loss of this good protection. (Please note that it does protect against most bots, just not the most advanced ones.)
Ghost Rider103
I think it's a good thing they are doing this. As stated, this will surely cut down on spam.

For the people that don't have a mobile phone, there are still other services they can use. But now nearly everyone owns a cell phone.

I actually think everyone should have a cell phone. It's actually a good safety device. If you are ever out somewhere and have some sort of emergency, and cell phone can save your (or someone else's) life. But that's a different subject.

I'm sure Google will see a decrease in new account creation. This mainly being due to the registration from bots will be much more difficult.
mahirh
spring567 wrote:
It is said it is not easy to creat a gmail account. You need to confirm your id by mobilephone. I think it will lost many users because it is hard to confirm in some countries. Gmail is doing a foolish thing.

if you use the invite function (no one ever noticed it after beta ) , you could avoid the sms verification wall , thats how i got 15 thousand (and counting) fake gmail accouns for spamming haha (well , just kidding)
Insanity
I don't think the majority of the users will be affected. I too am glad I made all the accounts I needed before this thing came along, although the phone problem wouldn't really be a problem for me. What is the real point of it, though? That's what I don't understand. It can't take that much for Google to host a bunch of random email accounts, though I suppose they do take away from the available pool of usernames to choose from.
truespeed
Insanity wrote:
I suppose they do take away from the available pool of usernames to choose from.

The available pool of good usernames were pretty much exhausted at the beta invite stages,when i finally got an invite i thought i would have lots of options for username choices,but everytime i put in a name it came up with username already taken,i ended up just adding numbers to one of my choices.
maplecity
I used to like it, I hate it because cacha
alugueldelanchaangra
I think a good idea
soljarag
thats just big brot-- i mean google collecting more of your information... Don't mind them, I'm sure nothing bad will happen
driftingfe3s
When did Gmail start doing this? I've never heard of gmail doing this before.

I made a new account a few months ago and I didn't have to do this.
timothymartin
Google is a for profit business, and like any successful business, the goal is to market, and one of the ways to market well is to know your market, and knowing something more than nothing is an accomplishment, otherwise ignorant marketing can be costly, and often a big costly mistake, so Google knowing if the user shares their cell phone number tells something about the user and the opposite as well, if a person doesnt have, doesnt use, or doesnt share their cell phone then that actually speaks more about the kind of user they are, and it appears, at least in some jurisdictions, that they dont have no value, at least in the eyes of Google.
mahirh
goutha wrote:
They ask for your phone number, but it's not mandatory to give it. However, even if it is, there's no reason to give your real number, 1234567890 should do the job... Smile

no it doesn't , they will call you automatically or if its a mobile , they will text you and give a code you will need to type in the their activation page in order to attain a gmail account , so you you will need a valid number (your number) Crying or Very sad
Ghost900
I think it is a kinda good thing. I personally don't have a mobile phone but I had a friend invite me and I was able to get one that way so as long as you know somebody with a mobile phone then there is no problems. Most spam comes from Yahoo emails and i have yet to see a GMail spam email in my junk mail. Bots create hundreds of Yahoo emails and never use the same one so blocking their email is useless so I think added security is beneficial for most people though it may inconvenience some.

As for privacy I don't think people should care to much as they allow Facebook to take any privacy they had to target ads at them. For those concerned with privacy, get a Hotmail or some other more private email address or have a friend invite you to GMail. I am always careful as to what personal information I give any company.
dapopeyoh
Well I think they have their reasons for doing it, maybe to cut down spam and for other security reasons but it really does affect registration. I once had a problem with my gmail account and I was told to enter my country and phone number but when I did it told me that my country is not supported and that I should write to gmail. I actually thought about ignoring the account but I later decided to write to gmail and stating my complaint and after a day my account was restored.
polly-gone
Come on people, it's Google! No matter what they do, people are still going to flock to them because they know that Google is reliable and isn't (that) evil.

Forcing users to verify that they are real people is a great idea! Without it, bots can create various accounts and use them to spam people from legitimate email addresses. Sure, there are CAPTCHAs, but AI is getting smarter every day and breaking through them.

It also helps to prevent people from creating fake accounts. I have 2 Gmail addresses in my name, one using my common first name, Nick, and my last name for personal use, and one that uses my full first name, Nicholas, and my last name for my work as a freelance writer. I prefer to have my freelance writing email at Google because, although I do trust Frihost with my data, I just don't feel that it is reliable enough to maintain an important email address at my NickAnderegg.me domain.

Since you have to verify that you are a real user when creating an account, it is harder for someone to create email addresses like nickanderegg2304809@gmail.com and nanderegg63@gmail.com and pretend to be me!

There's my two cents on the issue!

-Nick Cool Cool Cool
ProfessorY91
Arseniy wrote:
Hoho, my first gmail box was opened with an invitation code and THAT was really unsuitable!

Definitely me too on that one. Been there since the "Invite Only" Beta. This also kind of sucks for teachers. I usually have a 60 student class attempt to simultaneously create (and activate) gmail accounts. Last year, I was unaware of the mobile verification, and sheer pandemonium ensued in the classroom. Needless to say I was thoroughly put out for a while - until I discovered Google Voice. Now there's no excuse for sending and receiving free texts - all using a computer.
jilbs
I don't see any problem if Google does this thing for added security. If you are always suspicious about a free service, then don't use it. its simple as that.

Most Secured services like online banking requires SMS Code verification. I think Google raised the bar in security and for that we, should be thankful that they are doing their best to improve the service that they are offering for free.

Google can send the messages in almost every country in the planet. plus, I think most email users has their own mobile numbers. Do you agree?

I think this will not allow you to register multiple accounts unless you have multiple mobile numbers right?
Haha!
ProfessorY91
jilbs wrote:

I think this will not allow you to register multiple accounts unless you have multiple mobile numbers right?
Haha!

No. I have over 60 students set up gmail accounts simultaneously, in a classroom. For those without texting on their mobile devices, I give my personal phone number (Google Voice number). At least 5-6 accounts have been registered using a single mobile phone number. Also, students ask the person next to them to receive a verification code for activating their account. I'm certain multiple verification codes can be sent to a single mobile phone.

-Y.
sudipbanerjee
Few years ago when I created gmail id that time it was through invitation. So I didn't face the id verification through mobile phone. But I didn't understand what is the problem behind this process? I think most of the person who use gmail has mobile phone? it takes only few minutes. Many of us has this type of experience at the time of registration for mobile banking. So why not in Gmail?
clan4
Verification of data is a very briliant idea and will cut down spam rate. I feel what they did is the best as there are lots and lots of abuse of free registration sites. Good work gmail and more grace to your elbow.
k_s_baskar
Eventhouth gmail opened direct signup existing gmail users still have Invite option. (i am having 96 invites ) think accounts created with invite request don't need any mobile verification process.
Smile
iman
I think it's awesome, because with google on my desktop, on my mail and on my phone, I'd sure want good security on my google account.
ankitdatashn
I cant say whether it is right or wrong but just curious that what will happen if the sim gets expired, will he/she be able to retrieve the password!
ms_j
LostOverThere wrote:
Haven't they been doing this for years now?

Doesn't look like it's stopped people at all.

What? No. I created a couple of accounts without this. And without invites.
Asap170
ChrisCh wrote:
I think they're no doubt making an effort to cut down on spam, so that messages sent can actually be linked with a real person if they start spamming someone... Just curious, but is there a different way to verify the account besides using a mobile phone? Smile

Doesn't the person cell phone bill get charged? Unless they have texting? I don't get why they can't use like Captcha and a random question. Also their phone numbers are now stored in Google's Database so like if it gets hacked then there are cell phone numbers out there. I think it's a bad idea.