FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Civilization V

Lady Elensar
Am I right, there's no topic made about this game?

Well, I've been playing the game for a few weeks now, and I really think it's a great game! I haven't had any experience with the other 4 editions (except for trying out Civilization IV, which wasn't really a success because I didn't understand the game at all) but since I know how to play the game I love it!

Who plays Civilization V? Do you like this game more than the other 4?

I think the game has great graphics and looks very nice, and since I study history I like the part about all those leaders too, because the game learns you a lot about their lives, ruling and therefore about history. There's a lot of information hidden in the help section... I like that Smile Good work.
LostOverThere
I really wanted to get Civ 5, but I had a gut feeling that if I took the plunge and bought it, I'd never go outside again.

I hear it's that addictive. Wink
william
As soon as I get some free time, I'm buying this game. I've seen a few reviews and videos of it and it looks fantastic. And there's no doubt that my eyes will be glued to my monitor once I get it. Razz Have to say, I have not played the series that much. I played Civilization III for a bit and have tried Civilization IV a couple times, but I never got into those two games. I enjoyed them, though, I guess I didn't have enough time to focus on them.
dude_xyx
I think I played Civilization 2 and 3. These were great. I wonder what are system configurations Civilization 5 need.
QrafTee
dude_xyx wrote:
I think I played Civilization 2 and 3. These were great. I wonder what are system configurations Civilization 5 need.
Ask and you shall receive:
Quote:
System requirements

Minimum

* Windows XP SP3
* Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8Ghz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 2.0Ghz Processor
* 2 GB RAM
* 8 GB free disk space
* DVD Drive for disc-based installation
* 256 MB ATI 2600 XT/nVidia 7900 GS video card, or Core i3 integrated graphics
* DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card
* Internet connection for authentication

Recommended

* Windows Vista SP2/Windows 7
* 1.8 GHz Quad Core Processor
* 4 GB RAM
* 8 GB free disk space
* DVD Drive
* 512 MB ATI 4800/nVidia 9800 or better video card
As always, go with the recommended, not with the minimum if you plan on having ANY fun at all with a PC game.
David_Pardy
I played it through once... It was pretty cool, but depending on my mood (it's been ages since I was in a Civ mood) I would still have to decide whether I wanted to play Civ 4 or Civ 5.

It was good though, I did like the City States Smile
Bondings
I've bought it in pre-purchase on Steam. I played one game and got back to Civilization IV. Wink

I'm not saying it's not a good game, it definitely is. However Civilization IV (the Beyond the Sword version) is still a lot better. And it's not only all the things left out in Civ V, like Religion, Corporations, Espionage, ...) but also Civ 5 takes way too long to play (like for a new turn). But I suppose/hope they will fix this with updates. and new versions of Civ 5.
David_Pardy
Bondings - I agree with you 100%. Beyond The Sword is going to be really hard to top.
debjitbiswas
Oh my god i cant play that game i dont haveram with 2 gb.
i like the part 2 and 3.
but i didnt satisfi with 4 .
i dont play much.
Lets see what happend with cs5!!!!!!!!!!!!!
achowles
They left out religion, corporations and espionage? Entirely? That's not good. Let's hope they're going to be updating the game to sort this out soon. Then again it's more likely that they left them out so they could add them back in the form of DLC.
QrafTee
achowles wrote:
They left out religion, corporations and espionage? Entirely? That's not good. Let's hope they're going to be updating the game to sort this out soon. Then again it's more likely that they left them out so they could add them back in the form of DLC.
They "streamlined" the process in Civilization V to make it more accessible to a wide audience which is a good idea. However with gmes like this with a large following already, developers should make it optional to tick these "advanced" features on and off.
Bondings
QrafTee wrote:
achowles wrote:
They "streamlined" the process in Civilization V to make it more accessible to a wide audience which is a good idea. However with gmes like this with a large following already, developers should make it optional to tick these "advanced" features on and off.

I'm pretty sure that they might add similar features in new releases, just like they did with Warlords and Beyond The Sword with Civ IV.
achowles
Bondings wrote:
I'm pretty sure that they might add similar features in new releases, just like they did with Warlords and Beyond The Sword with Civ IV.

This reeks of "let's make it a DLC / Expansion". But in this case I actually want them to do that. The game shouldn't be so simplified.
Alpha118
I've been playing CIV 4 alot. Would you guys reccomend CIV 5?
AftershockVibe
The technology (or rather, the failure to optimise anything) really lets this game down. Badly. As in, it makes it unplayable.

I have a reasonably powerful machine, and there is absolutely not reason for why it runs so slow. In late game with large maps you spend more time waiting for your turn than actually playing. It's almost bearable if you use the "strategic map" but not much more.

I stopped playing because it seemed more like work than fun. Civ4 also had a tendency to chug in the late game, but it was still better than this! Firaxis need to put some effort into these things. It's embarassing to programmers everywhere.
QrafTee
AftershockVibe wrote:
The technology (or rather, the failure to optimise anything) really lets this game down. Badly. As in, it makes it unplayable.

I have a reasonably powerful machine, and there is absolutely not reason for why it runs so slow. In late game with large maps you spend more time waiting for your turn than actually playing. It's almost bearable if you use the "strategic map" but not much more.

I stopped playing because it seemed more like work than fun. Civ4 also had a tendency to chug in the late game, but it was still better than this! Firaxis need to put some effort into these things. It's embarassing to programmers everywhere.
What are your system specs? Maybe you're... overestimating your computer? Mine runs it just fine and ditto for my friend.