FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


1930's Chalkware Dog,any help with info,or got one yourself?





watersoul
I know some folk collect old chalk ware/china models as a hobby, and as this is a kind of animal I thought this is the best place to post my request for help with information...
*edit* Mod's feel free to move if wrong forum

This is "Rocky" the dog...


My Grandfather won him at Neath Fair (over 700 year old annual event in South Wales, UK) at some time before the 1940's when he died. The story goes that he turned up at home a little worse for wear after a few drinks at the fair, presenting my Nanna with "her" prize which found a place by her fireside.

Rocky "lived" at my Nanna's house until the 80's when she passed away, then he moved to my Mothers house. After my Father died some years ago, my Mother wanted to throw him away, saying she'd never liked the "scruffy old thing". I became the dog rescuer instantly, and he's been with me ever since - probably worth nothing in monetary value, but even with his chips and scratches, I love this little piece of my own family's history.

Anyway, I've searched the net many times without ever seeing a picture of something closely resembling my chalkware/plaster guard dog. He stands 18 inches high to the tips of his ears, and is quite light so I suspect is a wire frame construction with a hollow center.

If anyone can cast any light on this unusual little "pet" of mine, I'd love to hear it. Or if you have a similar old china/plaster/chalkware animal, please feel free to post a pic here or share your story.
This isn't just a topic for info, I'm completely interested - and if anyone else replies with their own curious "static" animal comments maybe the topic won't just disappear in the archives, and someone who has some knowledge about Rocky's "siblings" will see it! Smile
standready
one's family history -priceless!
Ar there any markings or stamp on the bottom to help guide you to a possible manufacturer?
Maybe you contact PBS Antique's Roadshow (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/index.html) and provide them with some pictures.
Good luck in your search.
watersoul
standready wrote:
one's family history -priceless!
Ar there any markings or stamp on the bottom to help guide you to a possible manufacturer?
Maybe you contact PBS Antique's Roadshow (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/index.html) and provide them with some pictures.
Good luck in your search.


No markings at all, but nice one for the link, I'll try them soon, your "priceless family history" line is so true though - I truly hope "Rocky" is worth nothing so I never have to consider that difficult choice of selling him for loads of money! Laughing
Carolyn7094
watersoul wrote:
I know some folk collect old chalk ware/china models as a hobby, and as this is a kind of animal I thought this is the best place to post my request for help with information...
*edit* Mod's feel free to move if wrong forum

This is "Rocky" the dog...


My Grandfather won him at Neath Fair (over 700 year old annual event in South Wales, UK) at some time before the 1940's when he died. The story goes that he turned up at home a little worse for wear after a few drinks at the fair, presenting my Nanna with "her" prize which found a place by her fireside.

Rocky "lived" at my Nanna's house until the 80's when she passed away, then he moved to my Mothers house. After my Father died some years ago, my Mother wanted to throw him away, saying she'd never liked the "scruffy old thing". I became the dog rescuer instantly, and he's been with me ever since - probably worth nothing in monetary value, but even with his chips and scratches, I love this little piece of my own family's history.

Anyway, I've searched the net many times without ever seeing a picture of something closely resembling my chalkware/plaster guard dog. He stands 18 inches high to the tips of his ears, and is quite light so I suspect is a wire frame construction with a hollow center.

If anyone can cast any light on this unusual little "pet" of mine, I'd love to hear it. Or if you have a similar old china/plaster/chalkware animal, please feel free to post a pic here or share your story.
This isn't just a topic for info, I'm completely interested - and if anyone else replies with their own curious "static" animal comments maybe the topic won't just disappear in the archives, and someone who has some knowledge about Rocky's "siblings" will see it! Smile


I think I have a similar piece, and thanks to your story I am better informed! My piece was left behind by a former colleague in our workshop. I mentioned I'd have it if nobody wanted it and nothing came of it. I was pretty annoyed to find it in the skip last Wednesday, minus an ear !! I fished it out the skip but sadly the ear was nowhere to be found. So I went to B & Q and bought a tub of Ronseal extra fine ready mixed filler and made him an ear! I have pictures but don't know how to attach them?[/url]
watersoul
Carolyn7094 wrote:

I think I have a similar piece, and thanks to your story I am better informed! My piece was left behind by a former colleague in our workshop. I mentioned I'd have it if nobody wanted it and nothing came of it. I was pretty annoyed to find it in the skip last Wednesday, minus an ear !! I fished it out the skip but sadly the ear was nowhere to be found. So I went to B & Q and bought a tub of Ronseal extra fine ready mixed filler and made him an ear! I have pictures but don't know how to attach them?[/url]


Wow, nearly 3 years, I'd forgotten this post! But ah, good to read you have a similar 'pet' Carolyn, your story of the cosmetic surgery is brilliant Smile
My 'Rocky' had his right year broken off a couple of years ago but you can barely see the join where I stuck him back together.
To show pics here you need to upload them somewhere else and link to them in your reply on Frihost. This one is fast and easy http://tinypic.com/ although there are many similar services, just upload pic then copy n paste the link it gives you for forums and message boards.

Would love to see your pics, and thanks for your reply here, your story made me smile.
Carolyn7094




I uploaded a picture twice in error! i hope I've done it right, please advise if not

I touched up some chipped paint to his nose etc, he looks much better!
Carolyn7094
I used acrylic paints out of a painting starter set (someone bought me one Xmas and I never opened) to paint the chipped areas and the ear, they were easy to mix to get to the correct colours, and it must be the correct paint type as the sheen is identical to the original paint used on the dog

I have read that these were given as prizes at amusement arcades/fun fairs at least around the 1950's, and because of their delicate composition, very few have survived over the years so they are now pretty rare

I'm still looking for information and have lots of antique books to look through so if I come across anything else of interest on the subject I'll drop you a line
LxGoodies
Nice dog figurine ! I would say the style is realism, which would put it (the bronze original, that is) somewhere in the second half of the 19th century. Of course later on, these were copied for nostalgic reason too.. indeed it was a good prize in a mid-20th century fair. Later on, these fair prize figurines were replaced by plastic toy objects. There exist collectors of this kind of early "fair prize objects", however its state should be perfect to sell it for any reasonable price.

Success with the restauration ! so far so good
watersoul
Carolyn7094 wrote:
I used acrylic paints out of a painting starter set (someone bought me one Xmas and I never opened) to paint the chipped areas and the ear, they were easy to mix to get to the correct colours, and it must be the correct paint type as the sheen is identical to the original paint used on the dog

I have read that these were given as prizes at amusement arcades/fun fairs at least around the 1950's, and because of their delicate composition, very few have survived over the years so they are now pretty rare

I'm still looking for information and have lots of antique books to look through so if I come across anything else of interest on the subject I'll drop you a line

Thanks for posting the pics Carolyn, absolutely brilliant, one of my Rocky's long lost siblings for sure!!
Aside from slight difference in paint colours they're the same as far as I can see, and your repair job on the ear is amazing - you can come and touch up the chips on my dog anytime you like, quality job.

Information about these dogs is pretty scarce isn't it, I only know that mine came from a fair due to my grandmothers stories. Oh, and I love that your dog is by the fireplace, so is mine.

I don't know if you joined Frihost solely to post on this topic (after a chalk dog google search maybe?), but thanks for replying, your pics have made me smile after a busy Monday. Have a look around the forums though, you may like it here as most folk are pretty friendly.

...if you do find any more info about our 'pets' history or whatever, I would love to hear it and you are welcome to share it here in this topic - I've been mooching around Frihost for a few years now so waiting another 3 years for a reply about chalkware dogs will be more than worth it! Thanks again Very Happy
Related topics
RSS feed for the forum
What are Google Ads?
Public Speaking Advice (Grade + High School Level Edition)
A debate of religion, science, and more
HALF-LIFE 2
All About WoW
F1 Crash Button's Hurt
Help, I got some FTP problems!!!
[Work]Unreal Tournament modification - Brother of Honor
Joomla - frontpage 2 columns help!
Poems
The Game creation topic! - Share experience - Find resources
Need HELP with Dog phobia
Why do you need a dog?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Hobbies and Animals

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.