FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Identifying hardware - Issue 1

Tony The Tiger
I recently reformatted my backup computer (2003 Dell Inspiron 8200 with Windows XP). When I did, for some reason, the wifi modem was not recognized. Thus, Windows XP did not even know to try to find default drivers for it. It is not the OEM wifi card, but rather a later model replacement wifi modem that DELL sent me. I tried the OEM wifi card driver installation disk and it did not recognize any wifi card on the computer. Fortunately, I use to regularly produce Belarc Advisor reports of my system. From a 3.5 year old report I was able to identify my old wifi card and google a driver for it. Once the driver was installed, the computer recognized the wifi cared and I was able to get online. How could this have happened?
mahirh
[quote="Tony The Tiger" How could this have happened?[/quote]
since , windows xp which did not have the drivers already . it was tried to fetch the driver from windows update but was not able to fetch the driver from windows update because it did not have it, but maybe , you did not install windows xp from the oem disk which contains the specific drivers for your wifi card
Tony The Tiger
mahirh wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:
How could this have happened?

since , windows xp which did not have the drivers already . it was tried to fetch the driver from windows update but was not able to fetch the driver from windows update because it did not have it, but maybe , you did not install windows xp from the oem disk which contains the specific drivers for your wifi card

I think it was a catch 22. The replacement wifi card was a model that came out after the version of XP that I installed was developed. Thus, the driver was not identifiable to the factory version of XP. Then, since it was the wifi card that was not identified, XP could not update without having a driver for the wifi card because it could not access the internet.