FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

College student becomes police chief in Mexico

deanhills
I find this a very compelling story. No one else applied for police chief in a town of 10,000 people in Mexico. There is only one applicant in the town, a 20-year old criminology major student, who then gets the job. Apparently the drug cartels in Mexico are tightening their grip over Mexico, and already 11 Mexican mayors have been slaughtered this year. Wonder whether this is a bad sign for the US as well? Any success in drug crime in Mexico can't be good for the US?
Quote:
Public officials have increasingly become the targets of assassination as Mexican cartels try to tighten their grasp on the country. Just this year, 11 Mexican mayors have been slain, including the former mayor of Guadalupe, who was killed in June. In the small town, "police officers and security agents have been killed, some of them beheaded," according to the AFP.

Valles tells a local paper that she took the job to help the town's people become less fearful. "Afraid? Everyone is afraid and it's very natural. What motivates me here is that the project [to make the community safer] is very good and can do a lot for my town. I know that we are going to change and remove this," she said.

Source: Yahoo!News

Photo from Yahoo!News: New Police Chief - 20-year old Marisol Valles García.
jwellsy
I wish her well. If she can survive for 4 years or however long the term is she will be a superstar in any field she chooses.
tingkagol
That is really amusing. I wonder what those drug cartels have in store for her.
deanhills
She seems to be a good choice for the position, thinking about it now. At least they may have more sympathy for someone who is 20 years old than a veteran bureaucrat?
c'tair
^ I don't think so. You really think someone's life matters to them? A couple of days ago I read a news report saying how a Mexican gang shot up two American tourists, because they unknowingly came into their turf. They killed the husband, the wife was able to get away, but she can't retrieve her husband's body.

Expecting some sort of honor or empathy from a group of murderers is like expecting rain in a desert.
missdixy
The situation in Mexico is really, really getting out of hand. In fact it HAS been out of fact for a while now. I really wish this woman the best, and I hope she makes it alive. It's both surprising yet not surprising that she was the only applicant -- I guess other people are just too afraid. I would be...
deanhills
missdixy wrote:
The situation in Mexico is really, really getting out of hand. In fact it HAS been out of fact for a while now. I really wish this woman the best, and I hope she makes it alive. It's both surprising yet not surprising that she was the only applicant -- I guess other people are just too afraid. I would be...
Agreed. I would move away from Mexico, wonder what the number of Mexicans moving to the United States have been over the last couple of years. Must say I don't blame them. But yes, looks as though the situation is completely out of control. Ironically all of it is being fuelled by a great demand for drugs in the United States.
Da Rossa
I wish her the best! May God guide all her steps. And she shall never fear the vagabundos.

Just a side note about Mexico and the administration: it's pathetic when you see "human rights defenders" and likewise organisations make a big noise when President Calderón declared war against the dealers. They started the killing, the massacres, so they need a proper response. But, since it's the State who's retaliating, those NGOs say the gvt is "abusive" and "overwhelming".

To the hell with those murderer drug dealers!
mahirh
she must have given application for police chef and the spelling mistake led her this far
menino
The main fear is that where is designated as police chief, it is one of the most dangerous places to be at (Chihuahua), so I hope that she can make it, and gets support from the government and the people.
Being a criminology major, this should also be a big step for her, and she even goes to say that she is not afraid. Shocked
I read on the news that she has 2 body guards have been assigned to her, but the drug cartels have penetrated security details with even more personnel.
But I doubt that she will be a target of the drug cartels, as her main priorities will be to focus on preventative programs for schools and neighborhoods, rehabilitating public spaces and fostering better relationships between neighbors in order to improve general security.

I pray that she does well.
deanhills
menino wrote:
But I doubt that she will be a target of the drug cartels, as her main priorities will be to focus on preventative programs for schools and neighborhoods, rehabilitating public spaces and fostering better relationships between neighbors in order to improve general security.

I pray that she does well.
I also want her to do well, and I also think the drug cartels will be positive towards her, but then of course that could change as well, depending on how she deals with the drug cartels. She may just manage to upset one, and then get a death warrant issued for her.
Insanity
I think it's brave of her, but she is in very big danger. I know she probably feels like she knows what she's doing, but it's still very scary. I think all this press that she has gotten lately couldn't be good for her either, because a lot of the criminals might take it as a challenge, and now that it's been exposed to everyone in the mainstream media, it has been exacerbated. I hope they're protecting her well, but if they really want to do something about it, I'm afraid it might just happen.

I'm also wondering why they chose to give it to a college student, because nobody else is brave enough to take it on? I mean how much does a criminology student really know about managing a police force? And who would be willing to take such direction without much resentment? I don't know how the police would feel having to take direction from such a young person, and a girl at that. I'm not sure how females are treated in that culture, but I feel like it wouldn't be a good thing.
c'tair
Bumping for update:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503543_162-20024173-503543.html

Turns out she was murdered. There goes all the "I wish her the best, may God guide all her steps".
Vrythramax
c'tair wrote:
Bumping for update:

Turns out she was murdered. There goes all the "I wish her the best, may God guide all her steps".

According to this article you have the wrong person. The 20 year old is apparently still alive. You should check your sources a bit more carefully Wink
c'tair
Vrythramax wrote:
c'tair wrote:
Bumping for update:

According to this article you have the wrong person. The 20 year old is apparently still alive. You should check your sources a bit more carefully Wink

Whoops, I failed to compare the two sources, I just held onto the idea "mexican police chief girl" and that's where everything ended.
Thanks for correcting me.
Vrythramax
@c'tair

With all that's going bad in Mexico, it was an honest mistake Smile

Keep Posting My Friend Smile

Max
coolclay
That's absolutely amazing. That takes complete selflessness to put yourself in such a dangerous place. I wish the Mexican military would do more, and actively pursue these gang members. I was in Baja 2 weeks ago for a week, and the military presence was impressive, military checkpoints every hundred miles, and lots of truckloads of military personnel driving everywhere. It seemed as though it was more of a publicity stunt than anything though. If they were really interested in protecting their own people they would actively pursue the gangs, it's certainly not like they are hiding.

The sad thing was how young, immature, and untrained their military seemed at least from my perspective. At one checkpoint they were actively hitting on my girlfriend and talking about how crappy my truck was, I mean seriously guys your supposed to be representing your country.
miyustar
wa~ she is brave.
Best wishes to the lady.
I think if she survives for even a year... well it will be a miracle