FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Have you dated people met online with good results?

iyepes
My personal experience is than Internet is plenty of disturbed people, so I quit every dating site I was inscribed on. I've met good friends online, but dates, definitely a big NO NO.

However, I know women who have dated men they meet online, and the relationship develops into marriage, some of them indeed traveled abroad to get marry.

How is your personal experience, have you met people online whom have resulted into long term relationships?
medesignz
Dating someone who you meet online is very similar to meeting up with a pen pal.

You make your own judgement on their actual personality from what information they chose to disclose. It is ultimately disappointing.

Not to say it doesnt work for some people. You just have to keep an open mind about almost everything.
dapopeyoh
Well for me, it has not been a pleasant experience so far. Most of the people I meet online are just looking for a one night stand and nothing serious.
LittleBlackKitten
My husband, before he and I married, married someone off the internet. He now owes more money than we make in 5 years, and we have her kid. Do NOT get involved with ANYONE, internet or not, that you haven't waited a LONG TIME to find out who they really are.
Ankhanu
The internet isn't a medium I'd suggest for finding your significant other... there are a LOT of dangers involved.

That said, I met my wife through an IRC chat room; we've been married over 9 years now and are pretty happy with our lives. We were also pretty honest about who/what we were when we were chatting, so there were really no surprises when we finally met and decided to have an actual relationship.

Most people aren't honest about who they are online, though, I suppose no less honest than in person... it's just easier to see past the presentation and see the faults etc. behind the person face to face than over the net... what isn't said online doesn't get conveyed through non-verbal communication that you get face to face.

Looking for love online is a bad idea, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't be open to the idea of it happening organically without looking. Just don't move to fast... but that's advice that applies face to face as well.
medesignz
I wonder if there is a love stirring on the frihost forum... ahhh Twisted Evil
Twotone
I think the internet maybe a good place to have an online , fullfilling relationship.
But you have to be aware that real life is an entirely different thing.
If you meet someone from online, in real life, then i think it is like starting again ?
You cannot expect to carry the online relationship over to real life.

Bur it may be possible to form a real life relationship from it Smile

I have no experience of carrying something form virtual to real ...this is just my opinion Smile
medesignz
Anonymous chance meetings are the best feelings in the world. You don't get that online?
Ankhanu
Twotone wrote:
You cannot expect to carry the online relationship over to real life.

I somewhat disagree. Online can merge into real easily if both parties are honest with one another online... most people aren't entirely honest, so there is often a lot that goes unsaid and unrevealed, which causes friction in real meetings.

If you're clear and honest, however, there are few surprises and things move smoothly.
macky
yes, i have also tried to get a date on online but i never tried to meet them up on personal...
manalone
Hey, u can get a good date online bt it won't be an easy one. U just have to keep trying but what kills stuff is lies. Honesty is very inportant. Once u lie, u gonna mess it up and u gotta continue lyin. Just b u until u find someone dat likes u for who u re.
medesignz
was the internet created so that nerds could meet women??? Twisted Evil
macky
iyepes wrote:
My personal experience is than Internet is plenty of disturbed people, so I quit every dating site I was inscribed on. I've met good friends online, but dates, definitely a big NO NO.

However, I know women who have dated men they meet online, and the relationship develops into marriage, some of them indeed traveled abroad to get marry.

How is your personal experience, have you met people online whom have resulted into long term relationships?

yes it is a definitely a big NO...

it is not good to get some dates online...

Online information are sometimes do lie...

Base on my own experience i haven't tried..
medesignz
i feel that it shouldnt be outlawed, but I do think it should be approached with caution.

people can say who they want me to be, but in return they can tell me who they want to be.
deanhills
I have never tried online dating. Sort of sounds a bit bizarre to me. I'd far rather meet people live and in the moment. That said, I don't see anything wrong with it. If it makes people happy, that is great. But one probably has to be realistic as well, and cautious with regards to whom one is dealing with. I'm not so sure I would be able to trust it.
pll
I already met a girl which I had known on facebook!

It worked great and we even went out together for a couple of months, but I don't think it would work with every girl, since this one was a really sociable person and she was really easy to approach.

But if you come to a person which is a little bit less easy to approach it will get harder to meet the person. Cool
medesignz
location is also a factor. transportation is essential to keep a relationship alive, so if youre searching online for a companion, be realistic in your locational search.
dapopeyoh
I'm not really a fan of online dating but I decided to give it a try once and I must say I was quite disappointed. I opened an online dating account, gave some information and uploaded my pic there.

After a few hours only, I received an email which said that someone had sent me a private message. So I logged on to to my account and read the message and decided to reply. She claimed to be 20 and she had a beautiful picture uploaded on her profile.

To shorten the story, anytime I told her that we ought to meet, she kept coming up with an excuse but finally agreed after six weeks.

But to my surprise, she turned out to be something else. She was different from the picture I saw, she lied about her age (she was 27) and many other stuff and at that moment I lost interest in her and everything about online dating.
iyepes
medesignz wrote:
location is also a factor. transportation is essential to keep a relationship alive, so if youre searching online for a companion, be realistic in your locational search.

Some friends of mine have known and actually have married to men they met at internet. They live abroad now. I don't know how it works to get a good one, but foreigners seems to be a good choice... if you include in your plans leaving your country.
The_unnamed_label
I've met amazing friends on the net... and I haven't been disappointed when I met them.

As for love... its not something you chose or make happen... but thing is it does happen.
I think you can actually meet people on the net and love them...

Not talking of dating online sites as they are full of weirdos (not talking by experience - but Im always amused and delighted to hear from my bestfriends experience!) and the simple fact of joining them gives unnatural basis to the story, I feel.

But lets face it, if you come to meet someone online, it's also cause you share interests and such. and I think common interests in things and views about things (along with attraction of course) is the basis of any good relationship?

And really, people can go on and on about online relationships that failed or worked. But thing is they fail or work if you meet people at the pub round the corner or at work.
Some relationship last, some dont. Some are amazing, and some are a nightmare.
I don't think its due to the way you met the person, but to the way you lead your relationship with that person.
captainsuperdude
I met a girl I chatted with in msn for 2+ years who I met through a yahoo chat in the good old days before it was overloaded by spam bots.

We met up with this other guy who was there to make sure I was "safe", who turned out to be a homosexual indian man, and I sort of got the impression that there was a kind of unspoken romance between them, and I ended up just sort of sitting quietly while they told me all about their romantic exploits in lewd detail.

They hooked me up with some good music though, and it was actually a stopover flight I arranged when I found out that I would be stopping in her town.

I was litterally like 14 through 16 while chatting, so lots of naivity, but in retrospect, not entirely regrettable.
watersoul
I've never had a 'date' with anyone I've met solely online and it's not something I've ever been interested in trying. I do know some friends who have though, and ended up in strong relationships as a result.
For me, I prefer the 'real' world for meeting people I might be interested in pursuing any intimacy with. I gain so much more from eye to eye contact, plus touch and sense of smell etc - the internet, even with a live cam/audio feed, just doesn't cut it for me and is a very poor substitute.

If it works for some then great, and especially if the digital medium allows you to filter/hook up with folk who you know you share a common interest with in advance. Call me a traditionalist but it all seems a bit like buying on ebay or something. I like the excitement of being visually attracted to someone I meet then learning through face to face conversation whether we share anything apart from just being interested in the particular physical location which we met at.
mshafiq
I have never dated anyone via online/web site.
However I guess it is more appropriate or best word could be more attractive for new generation.
We are bit scared to loose privacy and if other party will finally blackmail.
So the question was it good experience or not comes after. People like me do not have courage to even plan it. This is the first thing/point.
the second thing/point is we generally always think other party could be fake and it happens quite often.
And the most happening thing is majority of the people just do for fun and have no sincerity in finding a partner.
As it is for every thing, good people are there too and so the there a lot of lucky people who got good results via online dating as we do see some comments/posts as well.
marea
well i know there is extra sense in among all of us that is sixth sense, use it this is the only way to judge, My experience in this says we should not trust them..
The_unnamed_label
I do think it's possible... unless everybody is just agreeing on the fact people are fakers??
I try to be genuine to people even online, specially when it comes to feelings.
zbale
I tried a couple of dating websites for about 6 months. I was in touch with some girls, spoke on the phone or talked via Skype with a few, but the fact is I never met any. One reason is that (how smart of me) I always got interested in girls living a few thousand kilometers away; another reason is that in a few cases I lost interest.

It may sound like it's irrelevant, but my advice if you intend to actually meet somebody you've met on a dating website would be:

1) Always speak on the phone beforehand

2) Always arrange to meet in a public place and in an area with lots of people around

There are enough creepy people surfing the Internet, you don't want to take chances...

Good luck!