FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ubuntu 10.10

chartcentral
I just recently upgraded my Ubuntu from Lucid Lynx (10.4) to Maverick Meerkat (10.10). Here are my notes:

- Not much changes in the UI (except probably the default font, but I'm not even sure if it changed).
- The upgrade still does not remove old boot entries, and just adds a new one. I had to take it out by manually uninstalling the previous packages from the Synaptic Package Manager. (I followed this tutorial.)
- Ubuntu was unable to detect my monitor and only permitted a screen of 800x600. Searching online on how to increase my resolution was almost futile (procedures and workarounds didn't work). It was on my 3rd day of trying to figure it out when I chanced on a minimal xorg.conf file which got Ubuntu to finally detect my monitor.

Currently, my Ubuntu 10.10 is good to go!

What do you think about this operating system? Share your experience too!
FunDa
chartcentral wrote:
- Ubuntu was unable to detect my monitor and only permitted a screen of 800x600. Searching online on how to increase my resolution was almost futile (procedures and workarounds didn't work). It was on my 3rd day of trying to figure it out when I chanced on a minimal xorg.conf file which got Ubuntu to finally detect my monitor.

Hi, could you tell me how to increase the resolution in Ubuntu ? I thought linux doesn't support higher resolutions !

If it does, I think I'll start using it more. Cool
Fire Boar
Well I'm currently using Ubuntu 10.04 on my laptop at the maximum resolution the monitor supports, a crisp 1600x900 at 50Hz, and that option is available both with and without the proprietary graphics card drivers. And I've seen older versions go higher with better monitors. So I'm tempted to chalk it up to a stray configuration file due to the upgrade - Ubuntu's distribution upgrade path has never been that good.
loyal
My bone of contention with Ubuntu 10.10 is that I don't see the point of upgrading. They didn't change Gnome to version 3 which is going to be very different to what is out there at the moment. And there's no significant change at all to this version. What's the point of this version?

Peace.
menino
Yes, is it worth upgrading from 10.04?
Unless there are major changes, I doubt it would be worth upgrading, but probably if you are facing problems with your current Ubuntu, I doubt that there would be a need to upgrade. Confused
Fire Boar
I agree on that - upgrading from 10.04 probably isn't worthwhile. 10.04 is long-term support anyway, so it's not as if it's going to be obsolete any time soon.
loyal
So how's everyone finding it? I'm gonna upgrade later tonight I think.

Peace.
mahirh
well , i still like 9.10 , in the past , i used to wait for every release in high hopes , but 10.4 disappointed me enough that i promised myself i will never upgrade , from 10.10 , i found out that , no one was excited about this , i found out the release of 10.10 today from this post honestly , but i do like the new font (i use it in windows all the time)
ahnguye5
One of the new features of 10.10 was the support for multi-touch. I tried the live CD on my gateway tablet but it didn't work. It would have been nice if my stylus worked; I've heard a few stories from others. Here's a nice video on Engadget showing off the touch UI on a Dell: http://bit.ly/bMKlhM
LostOverThere
Quote:

It's been great for me. Very stable so far and a huge improvement from 10.04 (and even moreso from 9.10, which was a disaster for me).

I love the new font. It's amazing how much of a difference something as simple as that makes things.
FunDa
LostOverThere wrote:
Quote:

It's been great for me. Very stable so far and a huge improvement from 10.04 (and even moreso from 9.10, which was a disaster for me).

I love the new font. It's amazing how much of a difference something as simple as that makes things.

Which font is it ? Everyone seems to be liking it.

Does it have a Windows equivalent ?
the-guide
Not familiar with Ubuntu but I'm going to learn more about it, hope it not too hard for me to use.

Thnaks for update.
Arseniy
It caused some executable earlier files to stop be executable now Sad and due to some weird bug I cannot change permissions Sad

There was really no point in that upgrade. The only thing I got is a new Wine software.
dude_xyx
I haven't used Ubunto for a long time. It's been years and when I had received my first Ubuntu CD. I got 2 CDs. One has a Live Version and other was standard installation. Do they still send you 2 CD's or now all packed in one single CD ?
Fire Boar
Not sure about when you order a CD, but I'd imagine it's just the live CD, which contains an installation program, like it is when you download it.
mahirh
dude_xyx wrote:
I haven't used Ubunto for a long time. It's been years and when I had received my first Ubuntu CD. I got 2 CDs. One has a Live Version and other was standard installation. Do they still send you 2 CD's or now all packed in one single CD ?

i think so , my ubuntu cd (dvd) which came with a laptop was a single side single disk , its both the live cd as well as the installer in the cd
meep
Well I'm using the netbook version of Ubuntu, so the upgrade from 10.04 to 10.10 was something new for me, because now they use a different interface called Unity. It's kinda different so it takes some getting used to :/
It's sexier though.
loyal
dude_xyx wrote:

Maybe you ordered 2 CDs? There's only one CD which is both the live version and the standard installation. When you boot from the CD it you gives you a list of options, including these.

Peace.
FunDa
I haven't ordered it recently, but I did when it was version 7.04

At that time they gave a single CD for Ubuntu 32 bit version.

That one had both the live CD and the installation.

In fact, you could even start the installation from the booted up live CD Desktop itself.

You could also order separate CDs for Ubuntu 64 bit edition

Also for Ubuntu server edition.

The same was true for Kubuntu 32 bit and 64 bit as well as Kubuntu Server edition too.

Later, I think around the 8.10 version, they stopped the separate free mailing of CDs for the server editions.

All of these are available for download anyway.

Only if you have a really shitty internet connection, should you even think of ordering the CDs
ahnguye5
How does everyone feel about the addition of paid software?
kitsrock
Ugh. Ubuntu 9.04, which is installed on one of my desktops, have been dropped from further support. While this is no surprise with the standard 18 month support, I am still debating whether to go 10.04 LTS or 10.10.

Can anyone recommend which one to go for? I'm sort of leaning towards 10.04 just because it's an LTS and I can rely on its stability and continued support.

Is there anything to justify getting 10.10 over 10.04 LTS?
Fire Boar
10.04 is nice and has been solid as a rock for me so far. I'm in no hurry to upgrade, and it sounds like you don't much like upgrading either, so I'd say yes, definitely go for 10.04. You might want to change the positioning of the minimize/maximize/close buttons to the top right though. You can do it with gconf-editor, a quick Google should give you a way.
mahirh
Fire Boar wrote:
10.04 is nice and has been solid as a rock for me so far. I'm in no hurry to upgrade, and it sounds like you don't much like upgrading either, so I'd say yes, definitely go for 10.04. You might want to change the positioning of the minimize/maximize/close buttons to the top right though. You can do it with gconf-editor, a quick Google should give you a way.

i just change the theme rendering mechanism with one click , alot easier than gdcnf editor method
Fire Boar
mahirh wrote:
Fire Boar wrote:

i just change the theme rendering mechanism with one click , alot easier than gdcnf editor method

Changing the theme rendering mechanism? That sounds a bit overkill if all you want to do is move the buttons around. Also, I highly doubt getting that theme mechanism change doohicky up in the first place took one click.

I've found the key: it's /apps/metacity/general/button_layout. I use the value "menu:minimize,maximize,close" (without quotes).
mahirh
Fire Boar wrote:
mahirh wrote:
Fire Boar wrote:

Changing the theme rendering mechanism? That sounds a bit overkill if all you want to do is move the buttons around. Also, I highly doubt getting that theme mechanism change doohicky up in the first place took one click.

I've found the key: it's /apps/metacity/general/button_layout. I use the value "menu:minimize,maximize,close" (without quotes).

i meant it was a sh script , i really needed that , not for the buttons , but for the fedora theme (nodoka) i installed
kitsrock
Then 10.04 LTS it is.

I do really enjoy being able to choose between cutting edge versions and stabilized versions.

Also, should I back everything up on an external HD, or create a partition on the drive and separate data from installation?
debjitbiswas
i found new work configuration is giving problem.
loyal
kitsrock wrote:
Then 10.04 LTS it is.
I do really enjoy being able to choose between cutting edge versions and stabilized versions

Well it's not like Ubuntu is that cutting edge. Fedora is much more.
It's just pointless upgrading to ubuntu 10.10 cos there's barely any significant changes (as far i can see, anyway).

Quote:

Also, should I back everything up on an external HD, or create a partition on the drive and separate data from installation?

Backing up on an external hard drive is always good. but if you really dont want to (like myself), you could create a new partition, put your data on that, and then install ubuntu onto your main partition. although you might want an extended partition with 3 partitions inside it for ubuntu ( "/", "/home" and the swap partition). Then you copy your data from the data partition into your ubuntu partition(s).

Peace.
LostOverThere
ahnguye5 wrote:
How does everyone feel about the addition of paid software?

I don't have a problem with it at all. I like to think of it as a way to encourage developers to port their software to Linux, and a way of providing them with a bit of free marketing as an incentive.
FunDa
It is good that they introduced paid software too.

It is impractical to expect all good software to have free alternatives. So even though we have to try to have all essential software as free, non-essential software which wold be needed by pople would have and/or would make money doing work on it can be expected to cost a bit.

That is perfectly correct. Laughing
LostOverThere
FunDa wrote:

It is impractical to expect all good software to have free alternatives.

Just out of curiosity, what software doesn't have a free alternative? I can't think of any at all to be honest.
FunDa
Well, I thought there would be lots of software like that, but one that I recently used was Crossword Solver called Crossword Genius

An awesome cryptic crossword solving software that works out complex crossword clues if you just type it in.
ankur2010
its really good guys....!! Wink
Fire Boar
FunDa wrote:
Well, I thought there would be lots of software like that, but one that I recently used was Crossword Solver called Crossword Genius

An awesome cryptic crossword solving software that works out complex crossword clues if you just type it in.

Doesn't that kinda defeat the point of crosswords?
FunDa
Yeah ... Laughing Laughing But its a great learning tool.

And also, you can pretend to solve a complex crossword in front of your friends. Laughing
ronartos
Right now I'm using Ubuntu and it became my main OS ever since, haven't used any MS OS since 2006.
welshsteve
I haven't tried the new version yet, but plan to as soon as I free up a PC at home. Might get a live cd to see what it's like first though. I need a windows PC for work I do, so cannot go the whole hog yet Smile
andy26
I really liked the newest version it was the version that got me to remove xp from my laptop however i was soon kicked down when i found my laptop was too old for it to run smoothly, flash lagged like hell could only just watch certain flash videos in emedded mode no full screen as i was getting 1 frame per second. so im gonna have to wait till i get a new laptop hopefully one that comes with linux or try to get a refund on the OS.
andy26
Oh also has anyone here found a way to get all the adobe softwares to run smoothly i couldnt run cs3 in wine at all. this is my only downside with linux the fact you have to mess around to get stuff your familare with to run this was the whole problem with mac, cept with mac trying to find free software is HARD you have to pay for everything!
LostOverThere
FunDa wrote:
Yeah ... Laughing Laughing But its a great learning tool.

And also, you can pretend to solve a complex crossword in front of your friends. Laughing

You know, I'm starting to realise why there isn't a free alternative to that. Razz

andy26 wrote:
Oh also has anyone here found a way to get all the adobe softwares to run smoothly i couldnt run cs3 in wine at all. this is my only downside with linux the fact you have to mess around to get stuff your familare with to run this was the whole problem with mac, cept with mac trying to find free software is HARD you have to pay for everything!

Yeah, good luck getting Adobe software to run smoothly in Linux. I've never been able to do it. Sad
Calebskillen
One of the new features of 10.10 was support for multi-touch. I tried the live CD on my Gateway tablet, but it did not work. It would have been nice if my pen was working, I heard some stories of others.
ahnguye5
Calebskillen wrote:
One of the new features of 10.10 was support for multi-touch. I tried the live CD on my Gateway tablet, but it did not work. It would have been nice if my pen was working, I heard some stories of others.

I tried it on my Gateway also; I have an M280. I went to quite some lengths to try to get it working also but to no avail. I'll have to stick with XP tablet edition; it's good that Microsoft is still updating it for now.
inuyasha
In order not to buy a new disk or format my current one, I installed it on VMware Workstation 7. However, it seems that I can't type the password at the login window Sad The keyboard doesn't work at all.
Fire Boar
You've probably done this and found it doesn't work already, but did you turn on keyboard forwarding (or whatever it's called in VMWare jargon)? In VirtualBox, this is done by pressing the "host key" (Ctrl+F) or clicking inside the virtual screen. You can then get out by pressing the "host key". There's probably something similar for VMWare.
portoskt
installed and use... i did not have any problem about this edition of ubuntu... recomended
flamepjlh
chartcentral wrote:
I just recently upgraded my Ubuntu from Lucid Lynx (10.4) to Maverick Meerkat (10.10). Here are my notes:

- Not much changes in the UI (except probably the default font, but I'm not even sure if it changed).
- The upgrade still does not remove old boot entries, and just adds a new one. I had to take it out by manually uninstalling the previous packages from the Synaptic Package Manager. (I followed this tutorial.)

Currently, my Ubuntu 10.10 is good to go!

What do you think about this operating system? Share your experience too!

I'm using Ubuntu 10.10, too, and I'm waiting for Ubuntu 11.04(Natty Narwhal).

the user experience is becoming better now. It's easy to setup on my old computer and run smoothly.

But the disk partition setup confused me a little. It should be improved!

Razz Laughing
Fire Boar
flamepjlh wrote:

Razz Laughing

You say this... but there's no "disk partition setup" at all for Windows. You just pick which partition or block of empty space you want to install on. No options, no customization, no chance of a dual-boot unless you've preemptively repartitioned using some other tool. I think the Ubuntu installer handles partitioning extremely well in comparison - the option to shrink the partition with the most free space and install in a dual-boot is one of the "guided" options, and if that's not good enough then you can always go manual.
FunDa
That is very true. If you want to install dual operating systems, the easy way is to install Windows first and let Ubuntu clean up the mess Windows has made.

If you already have Linux installed, and want to install a Windows version for dual boot, it messes up the bootloader and makes a big mess.

Only some highly technical editing of the bootloader can fix it to give back the proper dual booting bootloader, which Windows should have left untouched in the first place.
LostOverThere
Fire Boar wrote:
flamepjlh wrote:

Razz Laughing

You say this... but there's no "disk partition setup" at all for Windows. You just pick which partition or block of empty space you want to install on. No options, no customization, no chance of a dual-boot unless you've preemptively repartitioned using some other tool. I think the Ubuntu installer handles partitioning extremely well in comparison - the option to shrink the partition with the most free space and install in a dual-boot is one of the "guided" options, and if that's not good enough then you can always go manual.

Partition is, in its very nature, not a straightforward and simple process. Ubuntu, admittedly, does do very well trying to make it as seamless as possible though.
snowboardalliance
LostOverThere wrote:
FunDa wrote:

It is impractical to expect all good software to have free alternatives.

Just out of curiosity, what software doesn't have a free alternative? I can't think of any at all to be honest.

Not to get too offtopic, but: Adobe After Effects.
It's the main reason I use VirtualBox in Windows 7 instead of plain Ubuntu. That and the rest of the Adobe Creative Suite (GIMP's not bad, but Photoshop is better). Also, I do like to play some Age of Empires II from time to time as well as a few FPS games from some years back.
bearzk
I don't know which distribution is better, 'cause I have only experience with Ubuntu.

I like it, because
1. it makes my old computer running like flying again;
2. it's very beautiful;
3. if I want some softwares, I can just search for it in the market. if I could program, I could even make one myself, very easily -- for instance, I don't need to install python environment;
4 and of course, it's totally free Smile