FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Two sub-domains?

Aredon
I was reading the FAQ and it seems to hint that additional sub-domains are allowed per account? I'm only asking because my website will be changing its name soon, and it would be nice to have the old domain up at the same time as the new domain so we can redirect and thereby not lose traffic. (I haven't requested a new domain yet, or a change, I'm simply curious here. Smile)
k_s_baskar
You will get only one sub domain per account. But you can point Top level domain registered somewhere else to your existing frihost account. Here i am posting step by step guide to point free .tk domain to your account. (Assuming that your domain is hosted in frihost server 2)

1. Go to http://www.dot.tk
2. Select "Web Domain"
3. Type domain name you wish to register and press next (i.e. frispace.tk)
4. Select Free Domain and Press Next
5. Select custom nameserver
6. use n1.frih.net and ns2.frih.net as nameservers
7. save and exit from dot.tk
8. Now login you frihost directAdmin control panel
9. select your subdomain
10. Select "domain pointers" from "Advanced features"
11. enter newly registered .tk domain name in the space provided next to "Source Domain"
12. Now you can access your http://mydomain.frih.net subdomain by just typing .tk TLD (ie. http://frispace.tk)

Smile
Bondings
To be precise, we only give away one Frihost subdomain for each user, like something.frihost.org or something.frih.org.

However, you can add your own domains and make subdomains from all the domains in your account, including the subdomain you got from us. Like sub.domain.com or sub.something.frihost.org. What isn't allowed is a second Frihost subdomain, like something2.frihost.org.
Aredon
So what if I wanted a subdomain change (which I will shortly), but I wanted the old sub to stay active for say... 30 days. Purely for 301 redirect purposes and retaining traffic. Could something be worked out there? Or will I just have to accept the domain change without a redirect and take the hit to my traffic?

Also, I won't be using .tk, the popup adds are annoying. If I was to do anything like point another domain at the name server I'd grab one from dyndns or no-ip.org. The thing is I'm wanting to point my "old" .frih.net domain to my "new" one.
Bondings
Aredon wrote:
So what if I wanted a subdomain change (which I will shortly), but I wanted the old sub to stay active for say... 30 days. Purely for 301 redirect purposes and retaining traffic. Could something be worked out there? Or will I just have to accept the domain change without a redirect and take the hit to my traffic?

Also, I won't be using .tk, the popup adds are annoying. If I was to do anything like point another domain at the name server I'd grab one from dyndns or no-ip.org. The thing is I'm wanting to point my "old" .frih.net domain to my "new" one.

Normally not, but if you specifically request it, I guess I'll have to allow it. Wink
Aredon
well then, I guess I'll have to let you know when I'm ready Cool. I appreciate it.

Request has been made, I look forward to continued enjoyment of this hosting service. Smile

Posts merged by Ghost Rider103
mahirh
Aredon wrote:

just use co.be (freedomains.co.be) , you could get a domain for free (well ,you have all master power over your domain)
EDIT- or co.tv or co.cc or co.ar
tingkagol
nevermind.
futurcat
mahirh wrote:
Aredon wrote:

just use co.be (freedomains.co.be) , you could get a domain for free (well ,you have all master power over your domain)
EDIT- or co.tv or co.cc or co.ar
Quote:

Between this and dot.tk which one would you recommend for a free domain?
miteY
Quote:
Between this and dot.tk which one would you recommend for a free domain?

co.cc has been de-indexed by google so it's not advisable to use for business sites.

dot.tk is a TLD so it is shorter and easier to remember, but has ads.

the best option really in the long run will be to register a .com or any other paid domain.
but for now you can use co.cc if you promote your site without search engines.[/quote]