FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Find good simple gamepad impossible

Peterssidan
Why is it impossible to find good simple gamepads to the computer? My favourite gamepad is the NES gamepad but it does not have to be an exact replica as long as it has the same properties. All gamepads that exist today is overly complicated and just not good enough. Here is my requirements:
  • At least 2 buttons. The two buttons be located in a row in the same direction as your right thumb so that you can push down any/both of the buttons any time.
  • Good D-pad. the up-down should be perpendicular to the thumb direction. Very important!
  • USB-interface cable. Not wireless!
  • The D-pad and other buttons should not be too high so that it takes to much time to press them down.

What should I do? Carve one in wood and connect cables?
Nameless
Internet.

Well, I managed to find two okay gamepads online when I wanted them, but I'm in Australia so who knows what kind of availability you'll get elsewhere. The only warnings I can give there is to make sure you check out any reviews regarding their durability etc. and realise that judging their size vs your hands size is not entirely perfect.

Not sure what you mean by 'overly complicated'. The standard gamepad has plenty more than 2 buttons, but you can just ignore the ones you don't need.
Peterssidan
What I mean with overly complicated is that they often have a lot of buttons and sticks so that it is designed in a way that makes it not optimal.

The gamepad I have is OK to play some games with but the D-pad is useless. It's impossible to press left up right or down. It always wants to go on the side to left-up, right-up, left-down and right-down instead.

I want to play Platform games. It's not the same with a clumsy keyboard Neutral
rayxzero
Most of platform games for PC doesn't support Gamepad with 2 buttons. However if you really like old school games NES/SNES emulator is the best sofware you can install, and i think some emulator support gamepad and used a gamepad thats looks like the gamepad for playstation, easy to grab button.
Peterssidan
What difference does it make if the gamepad only has two buttons? If you mean that the game needs more buttons to do everything well then so be it, but I have come to the conclusion that 2 buttons is all you need for this kind of games (some buttons to pause and such is good but not necessary if you can use the keyboard for that). I always thought it was hard to remember what buttons to use with SNES because they where too many. I guess the fact that I never owned a SNES and played it too little to get used to it can have to do with it. I think the SNES gamepad was better for racing games and that kind of games.
weableandbob
If you love the NES controller, I believe that there are adapters to get those to run via USB, or at least there are for the SNES.
william
If you want something very close to the NES controller, then you can simply buy the replicas that use USB to interface with the PC. This one is $14.95 and this one is $15.95. I haven't used either, but they should provide what you're looking for.

Personally though, I make do with an Xbox 360 controller. I wouldn't call it overly complicated, though I can see why you wouldn't like it for classic games. If you really want to get creative, you can build your own shell for a controller, dissect an existing gamepad, and then use the buttons you want. Plenty of DIY instructions out there, if that's something of interest to you.

Edit: Just noticed you're in Sweden, so those links may not work for you. In any case, if you can find those controllers (or any others, plenty of replicas out there), I think everything should work out.
Nameless
Peterssidan wrote:
The gamepad I have is OK to play some games with but the D-pad is useless. It's impossible to press left up right or down. It always wants to go on the side to left-up, right-up, left-down and right-down instead.

I want to play Platform games. It's not the same with a clumsy keyboard Neutral

With the problems you're describing having with gamepads, I would have thought using your keyboard would have been LESS clumsy - clear press/not pressing of keys, easily pick keys with the most comfort for resting your hands, no delays or anything after pressing (well, I guess that depends on what kind of keyboard you have but anyway).
Peterssidan
william wrote:
If you want something very close to the NES controller, then you can simply buy the replicas that use USB to interface with the PC. This one is $14.95 and this one is $15.95. I haven't used either, but they should provide what you're looking for.

Looks good. I have never used Amazon before so I don't know how it works. Many foreign sites only allow unsafe payment by giving out card numbers Confused I will have to look these things up.

Nameless wrote:
I would have thought using your keyboard would have been LESS clumsy - clear press/not pressing of keys, easily pick keys with the most comfort for resting your hands, no delays or anything after pressing (well, I guess that depends on what kind of keyboard you have but anyway).

My gamepad I have now is not good. That's why I want a new one. With my keyboard the biggest disadvantage is that it takes time to press down the key. Compare that to a worn out NES gamepad where you don't even have to push down the key. The key is already down and all you have to do is to add a small amount of extra pressure :p Very nice to play with Very Happy But I don't demand that short press time. It's just that my keyboard is not well suited for gaming I guess. Good thing though is that I don't press wrong key so easily. I guess there are better keyboards. But lets not talk about keyboards.