FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Are some car models more likely to get traffic tickets?

deanhills
Now this is an interesting poll that was conducted by a San Francisco company that validates policyholder information for auto insurers. They found that certain models of sports cars are more likely to get traffic tickets than others. BUT, is that really true in the case of fast sports cars? Isn't there a special character of person who loves speed and power and since those cars are made for speed and power drive those cars faster? Those sports models are almost guaranteed to generate tickets unless the driver drives it with super restraint, and what fun is in that if you own a Mercedes-Benz SL-Class convertible? I'm almost certain that those drivers may even budget for traffic tickets as a cost of enjoying the car? What do you think?
Quote:
To determine the cars most likely to get a ticket, Quality Planning's analysts looked at traffic violation data from February 2009 through February 2010, counting the number of violations racked up by different car models. To account for the difference in number of cars on the road, they averaged the violation count per 100,000 miles driven. Vehicles that have been discontinued for more than 10 years were not included in the analysis.

The most-ticketed car on the road, the Mercedes-Benz SL-Class, is a two-door luxury convertible--suggested retail price for a SL550 Roadster is $102,600. Drivers of these cars are four times more likely to get a ticket than the average person.

Luxury coupes and sedans dominate our list: Only one SUV (the Hummer H2) and two hatchbacks (the Scion xB and Volkswagen GTI) appear on the top 10, and no minivans or wagons.

In fact, according to Quality Planning data, 8 of the 10 least-ticketed cars are SUVs and minivans. U'Ren says that's because drivers who carry multiple passengers--especially young passengers in car seats--significantly alter the way they drive. (For example, it's likely many drivers of No. 3, the Scion tC coupe, aren't toting kids.)

Our list of the cars most likely to get a ticket includes only two autos manufactured by Detroit's Big Three, both of them discontinued: the Hummer H2 and the Pontiac Grand Prix. Drivers of GM's discontinued sedan are almost twice as likely than the average commuter to be ticketed behind the wheel.

Another standout on the list: the Toyota Camry. Not known for its glamour or luxury, it makes the list for reasons having little to do with its mainstream popularity. U'Ren says there's a large segment of Camry drivers who are proportionally disposed for violations: older women, who are less likely to be driving with kids. It's also important to remember that this segment includes the Solara coupe--a sportier version than the ho-hum Camry sedan. "Sixty percent of those drivers are female, and they're a little bit older--50 years old on average," U'Ren says. "That's the profile of the type of person that would buy and drive a Camry and Solara--and drive it quickly."

And this is interesting advice for those who do get pulled over for speeding!
Quote:
So, what to do if you do get pulled over for speeding? Don't automatically admit guilt. Don't assume you'll have to pay the full amount of the fine. And make sure you've done research about what your options are when you speak with the police officer. Many states allow discovery requests, which let drivers get police department information about their particular traffic violation--details like officer credentials, the device they used to monitor speed, traffic flow status, etc. If certain discrepancies come up, they could help reduce or remove the ticket fee, says Bonnie Sesolak, the development director for the National Motorists Association.

"Pay attention to what's going on around you when the officer pulls you over," Sesolak says. "Certainly be respectful. You can answer his questions, but you only need to answer the questions that are pertinent to why he pulled you over."

Source: Yahoo!News
goutha
That's surprising!

Happy not to have a minivan or an SUV Smile
watersoul
deanhills wrote:

And this is interesting advice for those who do get pulled over for speeding!
Quote:
So, what to do if you do get pulled over for speeding? Don't automatically admit guilt. Don't assume you'll have to pay the full amount of the fine. And make sure you've done research about what your options are when you speak with the police officer. Many states allow discovery requests, which let drivers get police department information about their particular traffic violation--details like officer credentials, the device they used to monitor speed, traffic flow status, etc. If certain discrepancies come up, they could help reduce or remove the ticket fee, says Bonnie Sesolak, the development director for the National Motorists Association.

"Pay attention to what's going on around you when the officer pulls you over," Sesolak says. "Certainly be respectful. You can answer his questions, but you only need to answer the questions that are pertinent to why he pulled you over."

Source: Yahoo!News

In the UK, if you've broken the speed limit by over 30 miles per hour (and its recorded on a device such as a speed camera in a police car), the officers hands are "tied" and he has no option but to report you for the offence. If however, it's below that, there is some discretion, and everything hinges on the mood of the police officer.

I've been "let off" a few times being caught at 85-90 on a 70 road, pretending to accept the lecture about speeding and being compliant, saying sorry etc and giving loads of pseudo-respect to the officer concerned.
I've equally taken the hit of an 80.00 ticket a few times, for doing just over 30 in a 30 zone, and stating to the officer "I'm not particularly interested in your lecture or advice, just give me the ticket and I'll take it happily, without having any exceptional respect for your authority" - That really annoys them but provides an inner smug-ness that is worth the monetary loss.

Police officers are just human beings after all, most are pretty reasonable, but a minority will always be over-zealous authoritarian individuals who seem to get off on the power.
I interact always with respect and calmness, and depending on the type of officer I have the misfortune to pull me up, I'll react accordingly - if the guy wants to "nick" me he will, but I can still totally steal his thunder by denying him the satisfaction of thinking that I care about the fine - even when I secretly do.

As far as the OP is concerened, of course certain perfomance cars will be in the top ten of speeding tickets, why would you buy a fast car and never "see what it can do" ?! Laughing
ocalhoun
Of course.

1- Police officers are certainly biased in favor of giving tickets to drivers of sports cars; the cop may assume such a driver speeds habitually, while assuming say, a minivan, was only speeding this once.

2- Fast cars actually do speed more than others, both because of the type of people who drive them and the simple ability to do so. (If you're used to a slower car, you can easily accelerate to over the speed limit without realizing it in a faster car.)
missdixy
I think money is definitely a factor in this. Luxury cars are usually bought by people who've got more money and thus are probably less likely to worry too much about having to pay a ticket here and there, since money is not as much of an issue.
standready
deanhills wrote:
I'm almost certain that those drivers may even budget for traffic tickets as a cost of enjoying the car?

I am reasonably certain that if you can afford a luxury type car, you don't worry about a budget.

What I found shocking in the article is women driving "ho-hum" Camarys were speeders! Go figure?
ocalhoun
standready wrote:
deanhills wrote:
I'm almost certain that those drivers may even budget for traffic tickets as a cost of enjoying the car?

I am reasonably certain that if you can afford a luxury type car, you don't worry about a budget.

1: Some people can afford a luxury car because they budget their money.
2: Most local governments give you 'points' on your license for every ticket; too many tickets, and they'll revoke your license, and you'll no longer be allowed to drive at all, no matter how much money you have.
deanhills
standready wrote:
What I found shocking in the article is women driving "ho-hum" Camarys were speeders! Go figure?
Most of the Taxis in Dubai are Camry's and as a passenger in it, I can well believe why someone would want to speed when they are driving a Camry. Depending on the Model, they can be pretty powerful cars.
Nemesis234
i cant believe this study would come as a shock, in fact i really cant see a reason for it. of course fast sports cars are going to receive more tickets, why would you buy a fast car and not go fast??
Magicman
I believe it has been shown that even the color of a car can affect its likelihood of being pulled over. I believe that red cars are more likely to get pulled over. This might be the same kind of correlation with owners of red cars generally have a personality which makes them more likely to speed.
ocalhoun
Magicman wrote:
I believe it has been shown that even the color of a car can affect its likelihood of being pulled over. I believe that red cars are more likely to get pulled over. This might be the same kind of correlation with owners of red cars generally have a personality which makes them more likely to speed.

Any bright color is more likely.
If I remember correctly, bright orange is the most-likely-to-be-pulled-over color.
Mainly it's just that it makes the car stand out and be more noticeable in traffic... and being noticed is a bad thing if you're doing something illegal.
Really, anything that makes your car stand out and attract attention will have the same effect.
deanhills
So would be interesting then with the help of the Poll data to figure out exactly what car would be the least likely to be pulled over. Let me guess. Colour white? Any model that has millions of people driving it? Sort of a boring Toyota Corolla perhaps?

How about the looks of the driver being reason for more likely to be pulled over, or not pulled over? For example if they were wearing uniforms? Versus punk style hair new age style with a cigarette hanging out of the mouth? Smile
Nameless
Idiots who speed are attracted to fancy fast cars. Correlation != causation. Nothing to see here.
missdixy
ocalhoun wrote:

2: Most local governments give you 'points' on your license for every ticket; too many tickets, and they'll revoke your license, and you'll no longer be allowed to drive at all, no matter how much money you have.

But isn't it also true that you can go to traffic school in many states and get the tickets removed from your record? I know my brother has done that at least four times since he started driving
deanhills
missdixy wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

But isn't it also true that you can go to traffic school in many states and get the tickets removed from your record? I know my brother has done that at least four times since he started driving
Now that has me curious missdixy. How did he manage to do that? I know people can go to traffic authorities and get their tickets reduced, but never heard of being able to get tickets removed from your record.
ocalhoun
missdixy wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

Different states do this differently.
In Florida, you can do this only once, and after that, it no longer removes points from the license... Perhaps other states allow you to do this indefinitely though, and there are probably others that don't do this at all.