FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Running might not be the ideal form of exercise, especially

abhinavgakhar
Running might not be the ideal form of exercise, especially if you want to lose weight.

Says Greg Brookes, a London-based personal trainer: "Lots of people start running to lose weight and it doesn't always work - and this is why."

"Fat is one of our body's favourite sources of energy," says Brookes. "The more you run, the more your body prepares itself for your next run. You will actually start to hold on to more fat," the Daily Mail quoted him as saying.

Brookes, with a clientele that includes celebrities, high-fliers and housewives, suggests why you won't get leaner is that the body is an amazing machine and will adapt to anything.

"The more time you spend running, the better you become at running and the more efficient you get, the less energy you use and the fewer calories you burn," says Brookes.

According to him, running is also bad for joints. "When you run, two-and-a-half times your bodyweight is transmitted through your joints."

"If that force is repeated over and over, eventually your weakest joint will give out. Usually the ankles or the knees are the first to go," he adds.

Contrary to popular belief that any exercise will speed up your metabolism, running can, says Brookes, do the opposite.
c'tair
I think that article contains misinformation - your metabolism will go up no matter how many years you've trained or ran. Yes, your body will become more efficient in running, but it doesn't mean you'll start using less and less energy - kilocalories can easily be calculated into joules, a unit of energy and you CANNOT cheat the universe by doing more work with less energy than physically possible.

Also, not many people know the right way to run. I'm not an expert, but I've noticed that running on your forefoot is IMPORTANT - the way modern shoes work is by getting people used to striking the ground with their heel and that's the way how we adapt to them.

But have you ever tried running barefoot? You will notice that you don't strike the ground with your heel then because you would have stripped it down to the bone, too much shock and abrasion.

Anyone interested in running google POSE running method. You should get some decent info on how you should shift your posture to run and not damage your joints.

I personally started running using this method not too long ago and I have no joint pain what so ever and my calves look like sculpted by Michel Angelo himself.
watersoul

Interesting arcticle, and thanks for sharing.
Usually when I cut and paste a passage directly from a news site though, I would use the
Quote:
quote/unquote
tags though, because it's encouraged on the forums to avoid any suspicion that a poster earns points/coins undeservedly - it may even be in the terms and conditions, but I haven't checked, and equally wouldn't want to be thought of a "back-seat moderator", I'm simply explaining what I and most other people here do.
Any text inside the quote tags does not earn points, and nor should it as it's someone elses words.

That said, running is harder on some joints than say swimming, but with decent cushioning for the feet it is not necessarily an issue. I know a 70 year old man in my town who has been running for as long as I can remember and is probably as fit as some people half his age! Smile
deanhills
Whether running is good or bad for a person I think is up to whether the person is physically suited for running and loves doing it. I agree with c'tair. Not all people know how to run properly. In Vancouver, BC they used to have a Runners Clinic to teach people to run right. But there may also be other medical issues. Probably better if someone is to embark on a serious running programme to get checked out physically for back issues, mis-alignment issues, or any other issues that may be magnified with running, as running does put pressure on all the bones. I would highly recommend that the person also sees a really good podiatrist to take care of mis-alignment. They usually check out your posture and whether you need support in your shoes. They then tailor make inserts. Podiatrist can also assist with good advice on the correct runner shoe size.
c'tair
^ Yes.

It's kinda funny to me when us humans, which were 'made' to run, hunt, jump, crawl etc. have to have a medical exam before we do these things these days because our lifestyle is so out of sync with what nature intended our bodies to do and what we are doing.

I consider running and physical exercise as one of the ultimate tools of 'going back to nature'. Your body will finally do what it was supposed to do and it should strengthen those areas, your muscles, bones, tendons and ligaments so your body will be less prone to injury and normal deterioration.
watersoul
c'tair wrote:
^ Yes.

It's kinda funny to me when us humans, which were 'made' to run, hunt, jump, crawl etc. have to have a medical exam before we do these things these days because our lifestyle is so out of sync with what nature intended our bodies to do and what we are doing.

I consider running and physical exercise as one of the ultimate tools of 'going back to nature'. Your body will finally do what it was supposed to do and it should strengthen those areas, your muscles, bones, tendons and ligaments so your body will be less prone to injury and normal deterioration.

I agree, it's almost pathetic how our society chases "permission" before we do stuff these days, too scared to try new activities unless a person of medical knowledge says it's OK! Health n safety bull**** controlling everything...yawn Smile
c'tair
watersoul wrote:
c'tair wrote:
^ Yes.

I agree, it's almost pathetic how our society chases "permission" before we do stuff these days, too scared to try new activities unless a person of medical knowledge says it's OK! Health n safety bull**** controlling everything...yawn Smile

Well, I think it is kinda bullcrap too, BUT it's actually needed nowadays. For example, a person that never really exercised and he's 30 years old and fat - he truly has a high chance of injury and such a person should consult his doctor about ANY exercise for that matter because he will hurt himself. It's not so much the it's permission, it's a necessity because we've grown too lax, too fat, to unhealthy to actually do something we were designed to do.
Since I began working out I feel a thousand times better, my mood is usually happy and upbeat, I'm much friendlier and I'm never depressed anymore!

Leading a healthy lifestyle is.. healthy for your body and mind. Also, the only money I actually spent on these issues was about 30$ for a pull-up bar - I work out at home, I run around my neighborhood so it literally costs me nothing to be healthy.
deanhills
I totally agree with c'tair. It is very important to get a medical check-up if someone has been inactive for too long. Also to see a really good podiatrist to check out the absolute right running shoes and whether the posture is right.

If someone has been inactive for a number of years, and has been eating a lot of junk food over a long period of time, there is a good chance that they have a lot of stiffness in their muscles and joints, which do come from lots of acid in the system. I think that would make them great targets for injury when they start to run before they have walked a little first. Better to work on detoxing the system first for say a month, try to get the system in a more or less alkaline state to the extent that when you wake up in the morning, you don't feel stiffness in your joints. You are no longer bloated with water in your system. One could do gentle walking then. Starting with 10 minutes, gradually working up to an hour over that month. Do gentle stretching exercises. And then when you feel really good, start running. It probably will happen naturally anyway.
c'tair
^ Yep, pretty much it. It depends where you stand with your health overall, I was in decent shape so I could start running right away, although my cardio has suffered much by 2 years of lack of cycling.

It's also very scary for me that people don't see being in a state where they can't run or actually do any physical motions in fear of injury, isn't that a handicap? And it's all because of their own choice, no body is forcing them to sit around for 16 hours per day or eat them McD's etc. For me it's a way of committing slow suicide. And it's not like smoking or drinking, because neither of those will damage a human to the same extent which a bad diet and lack of exercise do.
deanhills
c'tair wrote:
And it's not like smoking or drinking, because neither of those will damage a human to the same extent which a bad diet and lack of exercise do.
I see that too. I know some really good sports people who are smokers as well. Including karate! The sport seems to keep them fit and focussed. I can't think of heavy drinking friends who are fit however. Maybe up to a point, but then when it gets to a problem and addictive stage the guys loose their focus in their sport. Although for some it is the focus and discipline of the sport which give them the will power to dry out for a while. Drinking can be dicey for doing sports well. Put the results of drinking next to excessive eating and zero exercise, then I have to agree. Although the trauma of alcoholism is probably something that can be worse, and the physical deterioration of alcoholics, but I probably think you are meaning just heavy drinking, not the extreme version of drinking?
Afaceinthematrix
My main problem with running as a form to lose weight is that it is boring. Therefore, it is probably not the best method to lose weight. If you want to lose weight and so you decide to wake up an hour early every morning to go out on a morning jog, then that is great... If you keep up with it. Many people may start to lose a pound or two but then they quit after a week because running is both boring (to most people I should add... some people enjoy it) and difficult. Therefore, they quit after a week and put back on the pound and then their weight losing tactic was ineffective.

However, if you find an enjoyable hobby such as hiking, basketball, football, biking, etc. then you'll most likely continue this activity because it is fun. Games are much more fun than just running. I hate running because, to me, it isn't an activity. I'll gladly run if it involves an activity. I like tennis and basketball. I also hate running because you miss out on scenery. I love hiking but if I try running on the trail, then I miss out in some of the sights so I would rather walk.

I've luckily never had a weight problem. It seems so simple, but to many, it's not. Eat healthy and get a moderate amount of exercise. That's all there really is to it... People mentioned that it's sad to see that we've become so lazy that we have to learn to run... Well, to me, it's more sad that we've gotten to the point where there are websites and books dedicated to losing weight... It's not hard. Just consume less calories than you burn and you lose weight...
deanhills
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
I've luckily never had a weight problem. It seems so simple, but to many, it's not. Eat healthy and get a moderate amount of exercise. That's all there really is to it... People mentioned that it's sad to see that we've become so lazy that we have to learn to run... Well, to me, it's more sad that we've gotten to the point where there are websites and books dedicated to losing weight... It's not hard. Just consume less calories than you burn and you lose weight...
I have to watch what I eat, and if I cut back, I'm of the lucky normal people who do lose weight. But there are people who have problems with metabolism, who get addicted to junk food (whereas you and I may not be susceptible to it), and have odds that they have to deal with that maybe would be difficult for you to visualize, as you have never had to deal with obesity. If losing weight was really that simple, do you think we would have had as much of a problem as we do? Bottomline is that society is being bombarded with junk food with very real consequences for carbohydrate addiction, obesity, and chronic diseases. Perhaps the food industry should take greater responsibility to provide society with food that won't be addictive to young children, contribute to their malnutrition, and set them up for obesity and all kinds of eating disorders.
watersoul
deanhills wrote:
...Perhaps the food industry should take greater responsibility to provide society with food that won't be addictive to young children, contribute to their malnutrition, and set them up for obesity and all kinds of eating disorders.

Perhaps parents should just take greater responsibility to provide their children with wholesome healthy food. I'm a parent myself and it really isn't difficult, just say no. My son will ocassionally have a Mc Junk once in a while and the odd sweets/candy etc. But the lunchbox is full of fruit and healthy sandwiches, and I cook an evening meal with ingredients, even purely vegetarian sometimes - not blasting some pre-packed rubbish in the microwave.

We take responsibility for our own bodies, and it's every parents responsibility to look after their child's - instead of always looking to blame something else like media/advertising/food industry or whatever.
It really is as simple as mentioned before, eat healthy food and use more energy than you take in - you will lose weight

I would be absolutely ashamed if my son was fat, it would be completely my fault for letting it happen - not the fault of the multinational I chose to buy the fattening food from.
toasterintheoven
you shouldn't run to lose weight, you should run to get fit, this often times means maintaining your weight and leading to a healthier lifestyle. Runners often weigh themselves before a run, and drink water to regain the weight they lose during their run.