FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I have just purchased SIXTEEN books.

Nameless
Sixteen books is - perhaps - more books than were strictly required to fill my current literary void. But this is what happens when you start browsing a cheap online book store and get carried away for several hours. >_<

What's the most amount of books you've purchased at once, and how long has it taken you to actually read them? My previous record was 7 and three months, lol, so we'll see how long it takes me this time.
deanhills
You absolutely remind me of me! That often happens to me too. Amazon? Smile So what did you get?
D'Artagnan
lol the most i've brought at one was 8, I've brought douglas adams The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series and the mists of avalon at once. next time i'll try to buy some more Bernard Cornwell books!
Nameless
deanhills wrote:
You absolutely remind me of me! That often happens to me too. Amazon? Smile So what did you get?

The Book Depository. Cheap paperbacks + free shipping = too much to resist for a poor, lazy Australian. My order has everything from political thrillers to fantasy trilogies to two of Alan Moore's graphic novels. Now I just have to somehow stand the wait for the order processing and shipping.
kitsrock
I cruise booksales/bookfairs at local libraries. Depending on where you are, the books start as low as 25 cents/book (paperback novels).

I often buy 10~20 books a pop whenever I attend bookfairs (the library near me has one every season). The quality of the books may vary, as they are mostly donated books or withdrawn from their collection, but you can sometimes find near-mint quality books and, if you're really lucky, a rare book that's been out of print.

As for how fast I read, when I'm not pressed for exams, I read 2 books/week.
Nameless
I can't stand buying second hand books, I want all my mine in shiny new condition. I don't even lend books to certain family members because I don't trust their treatment. Very Happy

Plus the authors don't get paid for second-hand books. Sad
Arseniy
Heh, you're pretty like me - recently we went to a bookshop looking for new 'Machete' DVD. DVD wasn't found, and I bought five or six books just because they were cheap and interesting.
kitsrock
Nameless wrote:

Yeah. That is the only problem with buying second hand books. But be that as it may, I still like buying second hand books. I just really like the smell of old books. The touch and feel of it is different from new books too.

Furthermore, it's kind of nice to imagine the previous owners and the impact the book had in their lives, especially if it's a really old and/or good book.
Nameless
kitsrock wrote:
I just really like the smell of old books.

*Opens mouth.*
*Images of fat, sweaty nerds run through mind.*
*Closes mouth, thinks twice.*

... Okay.
deanhills
I also like new books, however like to browse the really old second hand book shops in London. Those kind of old books. They really made books different a hundred years ago, even fifty years ago. The bindings are different, and books were more like books then than now. I love new books however in the "now" too. I can spend hours in a new bookshop, especially the larger ones.
kitsrock
Nameless wrote:

*Opens mouth.*
*Images of fat, sweaty nerds run through mind.*
*Closes mouth, thinks twice.*

... Okay.

eh. each to his own. didn't expect you to understand anyways.
adri
I also like to read good novels but it's been ages since I bought one, the last one that I bought was Paul Auster (New York Trilogy), which was in February or March (2010). The most books I bought at once, well that should be around 5 or 7 at an expo for cheap books, but the books that I buy there are more computer related than actually literature, so I don't really know if that counts. Razz

adri
Radar
Wandering into second hand book stores may end up with me buying two or three books at once, but that's about my limit. Book buying is generally delayed over time, as I'm after specific books that need to be tracked down more than anything.
loyal
I've never bought that many books all at once. But I bet I've spent more than you guys on a set of books Razz 500 dollars in one go on a set of books that are a rare translation of a generally unavailable set of religious Arabic books (that are a very important scripture in Shia Islam). It was 350 dollars for the set, and for some reason, 150 dollars to ship internationally. Ah well..instead of using my excess money on alcohol like my friends, I preferred to invest in something I'd enjoy reading. It'll take me a while to go through the 8 thick volumes though... Razz

Peace.
missdixy
After I got my Kindle from Christmas I sort of went book-crazy and got about 30 free books and bought about 14 books on top of that from the Amazon bookstore haha. Needless to say I've still only read about 3 of them...
loyal
missdixy wrote:
After I got my Kindle from Christmas I sort of went book-crazy and got about 30 free books and bought about 14 books on top of that from the Amazon bookstore haha. Needless to say I've still only read about 3 of them...

Is it comfortable and nice to read off a Kindle? I dislike reading off my laptop.

Peace.
missdixy
loyal wrote:
missdixy wrote:

Is it comfortable and nice to read off a Kindle? I dislike reading off my laptop.

Peace.

It is the most comfortable thing ever! I was skeptical of it for such a long time but finally decided to get one and now i regret that I didn't sooner. The Kindle isn't backlit, it uses some technology called e-ink which feels exactly like paper to read off. It doesn't strain your eyes or anything like that. It is NOT like reading on a laptop at all!! You can buy a little light for it to give you light when you read it in the dark. It makes it so easy to carry around a ton of books and just read anytime you can, since it's not as bulky and you don't have to worry about flipping pages, etc. I even read in line at the bank!!! The best thing about the Kindle is you can send pdf and word files etc to it from your computer. This comes in handy a lot for a student with me with tons of pdf research articles and stuff to read.
Radar
missdixy wrote:
It is the most comfortable thing ever! I was skeptical of it for such a long time but finally decided to get one and now i regret that I didn't sooner.

I saw once for the first time in real life a while ago, and the difference is impressive. While it still feels fundamentally different reading from a screen, it's a completely altered experience from reading off a monitor or traditional readers.
Nameless
EXCITING UPDATE TIME EVERYONE. I have, as of yesterday morning, now finished reading all sixteen of those books! Most of them were pretty good - the Chaos Walking trilogy especially - but the last (a Chris Ryan novel) I never really got into ... it's not my favourite genre, and I mostly added it to my order since it was on special.

By my estimation (read: calculator), that means I read one book every 6.625 days! The actual number will be less than that though, since I purchased a couple of comic books and read a few other borrowed novels during the time.

And now you know.
crimson_aria
Nameless wrote:

oh, I never thought about it that way. that's sad.. >.<
but anyway, a friend of mine once told me, "they can never pay for your appreciation" I guess that's some kind of consolation. hehe.
loyal
Nameless wrote:
- but the last (a Chris Ryan novel) I never really got into ... it's not my favourite genre, and I mostly added it to my order since it was on special.

Chris Ryan? Sounds familiar. I think I read one of those. Is it a just a pure action novel?
D'Artagnan
well i did brought 10 once, i still want to beat you Razz