FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My complaint with today's music

petgraveyard
Listen to what I have to say. Do you always hear the people around you talking about pathetic bands *cough*Green Day*cough* and wonder if they are just talking about them to seem cool? I think so. I mean, the world is obsessed with rap. Rap isn't something a lot of people like, yet they listen to it anyway just to be accepted as cool. Have you noticed this? We should all just listen to what we like...and not listen to it because our friends or social status superiors do.
ThisOverload
Oh I know! Green Day drives me crazy! Along with Fall Out Boy and annoying others. I love my oldies music. heh.
Abnormalty
I know what you mean... I feel really sick when I hear "popular" music these days. I think people should pay more attention to the classics, like Bob Dylan and Lou Reed. Music never dies, it just get twisted into something else, and I dont like the current music style. But maybe people will get their shit together soon, and listen to some GOOD music for a change! Long live Red Hot Chili Peppers...

Peace out...
gh0stface
Green Day and Fall Out Boy are couple of my favorite bands. What I really hate is how MTV dictates what music is "cool". One such example is Fall Out Boy. Before MTV started promoting them, I listened to them for a while. I talked to some avid MTV follwers about them and they didn't really care. Once they show up on MTV, what do you know? They're now the biggest fans...
DarkYuke
I've listened to a few pieces of there music and all the ones I've heard aren't bad. Except for their lyrics. Its all a bunch of random musings which supposedly makes 'sense'. I don't like modern music that much. I like old music. (Old being music with instruments from the medieval and renaissance)
Folk music isn't that bad as well.

P.S Everyone mocks me for what I like, not like I care much though ^^
snowboardalliance
I don't really care about people who listen to different kinds of rock music than me, but I really hate rap. It's like assumed by adults that all teens listen to rap, that really pisses me off, not all of us are idiots mindlessly following whats "cool" and what MTV tells us to like. Ugh...I'm done.
Craneses
cvbvc
BioHaZaRD
Couldn't agree more, I love this thread. I think that true rock is gonna start making a comeback, or maybe that's just wishful thinking. I'm so sick of Green Day, Blink 182, and all this alternative crap, and don't even get me started on rap - holy shit.
nakamaru
gh0stface wrote:
Green Day and Fall Out Boy are couple of my favorite bands. What I really hate is how MTV dictates what music is "cool". One such example is Fall Out Boy. Before MTV started promoting them, I listened to them for a while. I talked to some avid MTV follwers about them and they didn't really care. Once they show up on MTV, what do you know? They're now the biggest fans...

The exact same thing happened to me with Fallout Boy. I told a friend of mine about them and sent her one of their songs. She said that it was weird and not her "style" of music. Half a year later I ask her what her favorite band is and she says Fallout Boy. Freaking conformists. I hate when people let MTV tell them what to like. YOU BRAINWASHED IDIOTS!
Abnormalty
This just shows that most people are idiots that just follows what other people says... If MTV thinks it's cool, idiots think it's cool. Most of the music I listen to is not even shown on MTV.
joshua_erceg
I like pop & rock (especially J-pop & J-rock Very Happy) of today & I have to admit a little bit of hip-hop as well...
But I'm not a huge fan of rap - actually I hate it (apart from several songs Wink)
I mean if they actually spoke (I wouldn't call rapping singing so I will call it speaking) slow enough to understand, the lyrics are about the randomest things ever!!! (reminds me of a book I just read for English called "Death of a Salesman" - every page was like it was from a completley different book!)
Anyway - thats just the way teenagers are today (myself being one of them) - its not about the music anymore - its about whats cool!
That sucks... Rolling Eyes
EJK-lifesaving-nederland
I agree, today there is a short of good quality music. The best thing is rap, worthless I think, and the most important is the clip. If u listen to the music u dont get excited about it, but it reminds you to the clip with almost undressed females in it. Yeah that is the most used way of getting your attention. But if u listen to old artist, like Jimmy Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Alex Lifeson, Neal Peart, Freddy (dead) Mercury and many others, u might change ur mind and listen to the good old kind of music...
JoeCool
Dude, I somewhat agree, but then again I think You missed out on some very important details....
First of all you shouldn't really put down any type of music, you could say what you don't like about it but you should never put it down.

Second you should realize that at some point or another someone decided they liked the music or else it would of never got anywhere, whether a bunch of "wannabe cool, listen to what is advertised mindless teens" followed in the footsteps or not is beside the point.

But in the same story, we should all just listen to the music and not worry about everyone else, so come on everybody:

Just STOP, and listen to the music, thats the only way to go!
Shewolf
petgraveyard wrote:
Listen to what I have to say. Do you always hear the people around you talking about pathetic bands *cough*Green Day*cough* and wonder if they are just talking about them to seem cool? I think so. I mean, the world is obsessed with rap. Rap isn't something a lot of people like, yet they listen to it anyway just to be accepted as cool. Have you noticed this? We should all just listen to what we like...and not listen to it because our friends or social status superiors do.

hear! Hear!
blackheart
Although I myself don't really follow or "get into" rap all that much, I think those putting it down in this thread should consider maybe their idea of rap, is just it's MTV representation.

There is in fact alot of very deep, and musically sound rap out there. I couldn't cite the groups/artists myself - as it's not "my" genre - but there are.
shr3dd
We all agree those who follow MTV are braindead. Long-term exposure to rap music causes brain damage as well. Green Day is shit, nothing more, nothing less. The state os music today is horrendous. All of these ****** wiriting shitty music and wiriting lyrics that they think will make them look and sound important.

Listen to Into Eternity.
Josso
I agree with all the things mentioned in this thread. I've been trying to find people to agree with me for a while...
anxiety1
yeh i agree with this.

a pet hate of mine is when everyone gets classfied, like Goths, Emo's, Indie's, Chavs.

its pretty pathetic really, music is changing from something you listen to, to more what you wear (faishon).

I'm very into my music, i listen to eveyrthing from, drum and bass to screamo to jazz to accoutic and indie. Just cos i want to where tight jeans im instanly an Emo and could'nt possbly be able to listen to Drum and Bass or Hip Hop.

Or, just cos i listen to metal or punk i couldn't possibly wear Fred Perry Or Burberry clothes.

Drop the fashion its all about the music, Listen to what you want, Where what you want!
immoralist
I was in the pub the other day with a friend of mine and we were trying to think of a genre of music with no redeeming features and couldn't. There's good and bad in every type of scene and the important thing is to sort the wheat from the chaff.

For instance, whilst most boyband music is rubbish, Take That did a couple of decent songs. Most modern-day rap music is boring and conservative but some acts, like Gnarls Berkley, are total genius.

I've been collecting records for years and have a collection that spans (at least) 50 years of recording history and most of the world's continents. Even the 10,000 or so albums I've got merely scratch the surface of what's out there and there is so much more I'm discovering all the time.

There never was a "golden age" of rock or pop, it is just that when you listen back on the older stuff you forget the rubbish that was also in the charts at the time.
Insanity
I agree that today's music is generally made for the mainstream audiences and they are crappier than music in the past... It seems like all music nowadays are generic, simple punk rock songs or pop.
CrookedBlaze
Pop and rap especially piss me off.

Everything is so...synthasized that you can't hear the peoples REAL voices. And the beats are stolen from everywhere! They can't come up with anything original.

Take Rihanna. My sister loves her, and she takes the beat from "Sweet Dreams" by the Eurythmics (and whomever else has done a cover) to make the main beat of her song!

The way I look at it is, if you want good music, get off ****** MTV and VH1 and think for yourself. In school, people are so self righteous talking back to teachers doing drugs and whatnot to be "different" then they can't even think for themselfs when it comes to their music choices!
Bernard
immoralist wrote:
I was in the pub the other day with a friend of mine and we were trying to think of a genre of music with no redeeming features and couldn't. There's good and bad in every type of scene and the important thing is to sort the wheat from the chaff.

For instance, whilst most boyband music is rubbish, Take That did a couple of decent songs. Most modern-day rap music is boring and conservative but some acts, like Gnarls Berkley, are total genius.

I've been collecting records for years and have a collection that spans (at least) 50 years of recording history and most of the world's continents. Even the 10,000 or so albums I've got merely scratch the surface of what's out there and there is so much more I'm discovering all the time.

There never was a "golden age" of rock or pop, it is just that when you listen back on the older stuff you forget the rubbish that was also in the charts at the time.
My god, more than 10000 albums? Looks like a professional collection!!

Is golden age a chart point of view or a creativity point of view?
Bernard
CrookedBlaze wrote:
Pop and rap especially piss me off.

Lol, put yourself barriers it's how you'll get your freedom! Razz
Tyler
I know. The world has lost it. I was a volunteer to set up this middle school dance once, and the music they played was absolutely vulgar. The kids were singing along with the f this f that. I DRIVES ME NUTS, IT'S NOT RIGHT!!!

~Tyler
achene
petgraveyard wrote:

heard. bands are "good" as long as they are mainstream and promoted.. and i really dont see people listening to it just to be cool.
bah :-& Shame on you
CrookedBlaze
DUDE. And then you have the people saying " You demote us because of our race/preferences/whatever!" and then the MUSIC they listen to/make.

Bitch this, slap you ass that, my ho...

IF YOU WANT ****** RESPECT, act RESPECTFUL!
Scott
I somewhat agree with this thread, but I'd like to point out that at least half as many people talk about the "classics" trying to be cool. Actually, it happens with any sort of music, popular or not.

And I wish people would stop having such a prejudice against rap just because a lot of the mainstream is fairly shitty. There is some really awesome stuff out there, you just need to listen with open ears.
macfly
I don't especially like rap except one or two tunes that are cool. But to me, rap remains outside the field of real music. OK any mix of some sounds in a particular way can be called music. Yes I think more attention should be paid to older bands. But I think that today, we can find new bands that are really good too.
xkarenflowerx
oh. . i *love* 90s dance music Very Happy

i'm not into rap and all that stuff either. . apart from on the 90s dance tracks.

some modern stuff is good, but it doesn't really compete with nostalgia ^.^ we should listen to what we like, though. and wear what we like.

individuality, not fashion \(^.^)/
ddukki
Just because you don't like rap doesn't mean other people don't like it. I personally hate the repetitive rap "songs" out there that serve no other purpose than to get stuck in your head, but there is some really good rap music out there. Besides, rap isn't about the music, it's more about the lyrics, anyways. If you don't like the stuff that's popular nowadays, stop listening to mainstream. That's why I only listen to my MP3 player.
teriyaki
I don't think the way you do.
u don't listen to rap because u want to be considered as being cool.
that's something wrong man..
if u go clubbing, u have a lot of rap music. Why?
rap music can entertain you like all other kinds of music.
and also, i don't have anything against green day neither.
bercha
I agree. People get so annoying talking about that everyday.
Even Chinese musics too, no more good musics coming out.
IAMED_2
My problem isn't people listening to music because it makes them cool, they're just making it worse for themselves. My problem is the many people out there that are missing out on music that they would like if they knew about it. Only a small portion of music gets big exposure, and many people don't even realize the wealth of music that you can find if you go looking. It's a shame how so many good bands go unnoticed; often it ends up where a few people believe that old music is the only good music left (although for some that is their taste).
zanderzone
rap is a life of a game if u know what i mean, rap is somthing you do, to express yourself, but all the other music that involve green day are more emotions types, and is mad wack
Web-Gazda
Thr problem with today's popular music is that there is (almost) no music there!!! If you turn on the MTV, you can see, depending on time half-naked chicks shaking with muslim rhytms or extremely poor RnB or Brit-pop and alternative artists who are just repeating what's already said and played. There are no new ideas, no fresh blood. I'll cite the band i like (they're from Croatia, so this will be the free translation) Wink

In the time of great soberness
With a lot of image without reason
except for that, to be different
even if it means raping the cows on the stage Twisted Evil
with lots of decibels
instead of ideas

Hladno Pivo (cold beer), Album Desetka
fashioncrimewave
I was reading a book about songwriting recently and it had a really good discussion about commercial appeal vs. artistic appeal. The gist of it is:

A song with a lot of commercial appeal will have a hook that appeals to the listener on the first listen. In order to do so it probably has to sound very similar to other music the listener is already familiar with. In addition, rather mindless lyrics like "ooh ooh, i love you" or "down with the man" go over well because they take no effort on the part of the listener to understand. However, because these songs are so unoriginal, they're thrown on the trash heap as soon as the next pop nugget comes along.

Songs with more artistic merit have some resistance to them, meaning that there is something different about them that doesn't jive with the listener immediately. You have to listen to them a few times and think about what you're hearing to like it. Of course, this doesn't work well on the radio, where if someone doesn't like a song right away, they change the channel.

Personally, I don't really pay attention to MTV or the radio, because it's all about selling products. I read some music reviews both in print and online to get ideas of new music I might like. services like iTunes are great because you can listen to clips before buying. granted, the "resistance" element may rule out buying some good stuff. but that way I find good music that I like without depending on someone else's taste too much. i also go back and find out who influenced the bands I like, and try them out too.
mceejaydee
zanderzone wrote:
rap is a life of a game if u know what i mean, rap is somthing you do, to express yourself, but all the other music that involve green day are more emotions types, and is mad wack

I listen to both Rap and Rock and what I found is that music is to express yourself PERIOD. But my complaint about Rap these days is that they days talk about money, ridin rims, degrading women. Rock these days talk about death, god doesn't exist, slashing wrists (talking about them black, emo and death metal bands).

I also wanna get this off my chest real quick. How come people who hate rap hate it because they degrade women, talk too much about money, and all that other stuff? Not all rap talk about that if you're aware. People who like rock diss rap more then people who like rap diss rock (online though).
roach831
I like rap but only the old school rap because i hate all these new words people are making up these days, i hate E-40, keakdasneak, all those new gay rappers that rap about nothing, the game is pretty cool tho
foodman
well i agree todays music sux. the record producers and the companys are trying to make money so they put as much crap out there as possible. new rock sux, rap sux. classic rock, jazz, classical music are all great, with few excptions, they took the time to make good music and didnt care too much what other people thought.
that guy kanye west or east, pisses me off. Every one says hes sooooo good and talented, but after hearing him i want to shuve a screwdriver down my ears. new musix sux
Moey
I listen to whatever I want. I sometimes even sneak a little Backstreet Boys in, I just think their music is so pleasing to the ear and very catchy. Im not ashamed of the music I listen to!
truth16
petgraveyard wrote:

i have been campaigning exactly what you just said for a long long time my friend, when the brain dead zombie like creatures that are the mainstream wake up and learn what real music created by real musicians sounds like, the world will be a better place.
essentialmedia
petgraveyard wrote:

Is this post serious? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on music, just because you don't like it doesn't make the band "pathetic" and to say that people talk about certain band to seem cool, is completely retarded. Who in the hell sits around talking about bands just to be "cool"?

As for rap, I don't know what planet or small moon you live on but a LOT of people listen to rap/hip-hop and like it VERY much. Where in the hell did you figure out that "Rap isn't something a lot of people like"? Once again who listens to rap "to be cool"? DO you really see people sitting around looking in the mirror while listening to rap thinking "Man I am so cool now"?

People DO listen to what they like but it is ignorant closed minds, like yours, that try to categorize everything and talk things down. Personally I think YOU are reaching out because you are not "cool" in your own little social circle so you figured you would blame it on music or something else. Maybe you're not "Cool" because your closed minded and have a crappy personality.
Shike
DarkYuke wrote:
I've listened to a few pieces of there music and all the ones I've heard aren't bad. Except for their lyrics. Its all a bunch of random musings which supposedly makes 'sense'. I don't like modern music that much. I like old music. (Old being music with instruments from the medieval and renaissance)
Folk music isn't that bad as well.

P.S Everyone mocks me for what I like, not like I care much though ^^

I'm kinda in your boat, I listen to quite abit from the Classical and Romantic eras, as well as Celtic Folk music. My passion is Jazz and blues, though.
E-Magination
I really dislike rap. Especially dutch rap. There are guys that call calling your name 6 times in the chorus music. It was a big hit. 5 weeks #1.
Shike
ddukki wrote:
If you don't like the stuff that's popular nowadays, stop listening to mainstream. That's why I only listen to my MP3 player.

I have to agree with this statement. Listen to your own music (mp3's, CD's, etc). Personally I listen to NPR, my mp3 player, or my CD collection.
molif
LISTEN TO WHAT YOU LIKE MOST

DONT BE ASHAMED OF WHAT YOU ARE LISTENING

MUSIC DESCRIBES OF WHO YOU ARE

SO, ENJOY MUSIC.. MUSIC WILL HEAL YOUR SOUL..
aaripper
essentialmedia wrote:

Who in the hell sits around talking about bands just to be "cool"?

I've known a few people. These are the guys who want to get (as Frank Zappa so eloquently put it) "The B*** J**"
Yes, they exist. I'm not making it up
Quote:
Where in the hell did you figure out that "Rap isn't something a lot of people like"?

Well, first off, there ARE a lot of people who don't like listening to rap music. Just to clarify.
Quote:
DO you really see people sitting around looking in the mirror while listening to rap thinking "Man I am so cool now"?

Yes, i have a younger cousin who did this. And now he's convinced himself that he loves the music. Which I'm sure he does. But I ask him "why did you start listening to it?" and you know what the answer is? It's understandable, by all means, because his friends were listening to it and introduced him to it.
Quote:
Personally I think YOU are reaching out because you are not "cool" in your own little social circle so you figured you would blame it on music or something else. Maybe you're not "Cool" because your closed minded and have a crappy personality.

Or, perhaps, "he" is right? perhaps he has noticed that in the entertainment industry there are certain practices which are designed to "create a profit." And let me ask you something. If you had a million dollars and you saw two opportunities to spend your money. One where you had a band that was very very different from the popular "radio" (a.k.a.- Clearchannel) music, or a band that was similar to very popular "radio" music and produced "consistant" music on every album.
If you were trying to spend your money to make more money then you would most certainly pick a band that was similar to current popular music. There is less risk involved that way. And to the old grandstanders in suits, less risk is a good thing to hear when talking about money and corresponding investments.

Now, If I want to find good music (new and old), I go to: www.Pandora.com
I input a song or band that I enjoy, and I get a very brilliantly devised selection of music played on a "radio station" which I have Just "created."
Check it out. It's handy, and very different from popular music sites like Last.fm
That's where I go to "expand" my "musical repository."