FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Chilain Trapped Miners

jwellsy
I am so happy the miners trapped underground for 69 days have all been rescued alive. The President of Chile seems to be a real class act. I hope this raises Chiles standing on the world stage. This has elevated my opinion of Chile.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/13/AR2010101307599.html
iman
Yep. Really nice job staying there for a long period of time.
It's really awesome how they managed to stay there for that long
deanhills
jwellsy wrote:
I am so happy the miners trapped underground for 69 days have all been rescued alive. The President of Chile seems to be a real class act. I hope this raises Chiles standing on the world stage. This has elevated my opinion of Chile.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/13/AR2010101307599.html
I'm just as happy jwellsy. That was an awful long time. I just can't believe that they could have kept them alive for all of that time. Just imagine .... 69 days. Must have felt like a lifetime for those guys. What a wonderful relief that must have been!
hunnyhiteshseth
jwellsy wrote:

I am also very happy that miners were rescued but I don't think that is something which would increase a country's standing. It was just a job of logistics and it in no way can represent standing of a country whether it is a success or failure.
deanhills
hunnyhiteshseth wrote:
I am also very happy that miners were rescued but I don't think that is something which would increase a country's standing. It was just a job of logistics and it in no way can represent standing of a country whether it is a success or failure.
True. I can't imagine any country doing less what they did. But by Chile standards, coming from a much lower base of caring for people, probably they should get extra kudos for all the effort they put into the rescue against so many many odds?
menino
Yes, the Chilean miners release from their trapped mine is good news.
Initially it was sad, as they mentioned it was going to take 3 month for them to come out of the mines.

There is also some controversy going on, as it was mentioned in the news that the Chilean Miners have decided to keep some secrets from everyone else. Confused
Not sure what it is. - probably some mistake made by somebody concerning the mine.
deanhills
menino wrote:
probably some mistake made by somebody concerning the mine.
Could be. Looks as though they may already have plotted when they were trapped and knew they were going to get out, of how they were going to make money out of their stories. They agreed that no one would go it alone with the media and that they would negotiate the right to their stories. Who knows, maybe that gives the impression of a secret.

Source: Yahoo!News
watersoul
If there were some safety issues going on and the guys agreed a plan to either keep quiet about the details for cash, or tell the world for cash, I say go for it. They shared a horrible experience together and if they can maximise the compensation for it together, as the same group, then all the better for them.
People make thousands for shallow media stories such as which famous person they've kissed etc, so I hope they make many tens of thousands as a group of men who've faced a situation none of us would want to.
deanhills
Good point Watersoul. I'm for it as well. Who knows, maybe their company would like to be counted in as well. Can imagine they have to be poor anyway and can do with the cash.
jwellsy
Some folks think it may have been a hoax.

I also heard one fellow say that the number 33 is some kind of code word for various hoaxes.

I'd be really disappointed if this was a hoax.
truespeed
I don't think it was faked,though i must admit the timing of their release to coincide with the presidents visit to Europe was a bit suspect when initially they were talking about them maybe being stuck there till Christmas.

It was all good for Chile though,a country rarely (If ever) mentioned on our news,and they certainly made the most of it with anything and everything draped in the countrys flag.
Nameless
jwellsy wrote:
I also heard one fellow say that the number 33 is some kind of code word for various hoaxes.

LOL. Because, if you're going to pull off an incredibly elaborate hoax to fool the world, you'd sure as heck better give away your secret by putting in a codeword disclaimer. Rolling Eyes
mengshi200
Chile do well on safety about miner.China should study to Chile.
Chinese newspaper have been focused on it,and serious propose to public and government.
mahirh
jwellsy wrote:
Some folks think it may have been a hoax.

I'd be really disappointed if this was a hoax.

i think this can be fake, because if it was real , they would have kept quiet as usual(thats what most mining companies do)and the documentary about it on the discovery channel seem to hide something from the viewers , they drug unimportant things such as family matters and so to the front and kept mining of low impoortance , it was like glancing at a worklog
Insanity
I can't imagine being trapped down there for so long, and I'm sure there were many issues with the group itself, as well as being able to stay alive and healthy. It's good that nobody suffered too much, but I wonder at the cost of saving them all, and if the government ever at one point though, hm, this is spending way too much, even though the coal mine company might have paid for everything. Also, I do realize that it would be immensely bad press if the company did absolutely nothing for these miners after their negligence caused the miners to be in that situation in the first place. Anyways, glad for these miners, and hope their newfound fame and wealth won't go to their heads, though it looks like from the looks of the pact they made tht they have a pretty good head on themselves.